Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scor Pal

Hello

A think the Scor Pal is the one item I have not previously purchased as I did not think I would "use" it.

I generally use the Fiskars scoring blade but am going to be making wedding invitations requiring a lot of scroring.

Can anyone tell me if the Scoring Pal is better than the Fiskars scoring blade AND if this would help if I am working with 12x12 paper.

THANKS for any info...I just tried to do a "search" but it said I was missing a "security code"...hmmmm....

Kim
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:57 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

Like you, I used my fiskars to score and thought I was pretty adept at it. But I took the plunge and bought a scor pal and I'm not sorry. I had to adjust to the space it took up on my work surface. The first thing I noticed was that, with the fiskars my score line was never just quit centered but with the scor pal it's perfect every time. Once I got the pressure right, there was less risk of cutting the cardstock then there was with the scoring blade but the best part is there is so much more to the scar pal & mat.

Using the raised edge on the pal with my clear centering rulerer and the measurements on the scor mat, I've been able to master so many more skills. Layering & lining up the ruler to use with wheels are so much easier. I love the quilting look of the scoring technique I learned here.

I don't think you would regret the scor pal and mat, especially if you're planning on making a lot of wedding invitations.

Good luck,
Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like you, I first thought the Score Pal was kind of expensive and that I wouldn't use it much. I used the groove on my paper trimmer also.

I got the Score Pal in a moment of weakness, lol, and I've not regretted it. I use it for every card I make. Yes, it takes up a little bit of room when you are using it, but it stands up easily against my chair leg until I need it again.

You will like the ease of use to score your cardstock, especially if you are making multiple cards at a time. I tend to make about 6 or 8 of most cards I make and it really saves time to score them on the Score Pal.

I've even used it as a "tray" to hold my cards in a safe place from my cats while the Stickles dry.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I'm a pretty cheap stamper and tend to only buy things when I have to, but I had a coupon for Archivers and decided to treat myself to a Scor-pal. That was one of the best purchases I've ever made. Scoring is easy and yes you can use 12 X 12 paper in it. I love mine and use it every time I make a card. I did a gate-fold Christmas card this year and the Scor-Pal more than paid for itself by taking the hassle out of multiple scores!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't guess I'd call myself a cheap stamper, I'd rather not have a million things but have a handful of really really nice things. The score pal is brilliant. I know you are like, but it's just plastic! But it's not. Dana was brilliant about where to put score lines, I always find there is one where I need it. The folds are truly totally professional looking. And the website has hundreds of tutorials. Seriously you could spend a year making the things on there and not get bored.

It's worth it. Honestly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Before I bought my Scor-Pal, I used the scoring blade on my paper trimer. I could do it, but I didn't score anything more than I had to because I would end up frustrated, it was just too much trouble. Since I got the Scor-Pal, i have been making tons of new things. For Valentine's Day I made 50+ triangle treat boxes and having the Scor-Pal made it so much quicker. I use mine every time I sit down at my desk to make anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

OK...so I am sold on the Scor Pal....thanks for the responses and the enabling

NOW...I don't have an Archivers in CA...any suggestions as to where to purchase it???

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Oh I too thought the price was too much till I found a place here in Erie PA which sells it for 35 and that is the total price. No coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I LOVE my Scor-Pal. And, when I'm not using it for scoring, it is my MAIN work surface, as I use the Scor-Mat with it. I definitely recommend it!

I'm a Bella Babe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to use the scoring blade with my Fiskars paper trimmer, too. Then I switched to the SU Tonic guillotine cutter. And got the Scor-Pal.

I have a very small workspace and cannot keep either right on my work surface. I stand up my Scor-Pal between two 12 x 12 upright paper holders and just slide it in and out. My guillotine cutter sits on top of some storage containers next to my desk. The mechanics of all this seemed so cumbersome to me at first compared to keeping my simple Fiskars cutter/scorer on the desktop.

Well -- I have to tell you that I am thrilled with the change!! I got into a rhythm with this system probably midway through the second stamping session I had after getting the new items.

Using the Fiskars as a scorer presented the same problems as using it to cut - except I didn't have to replace the scoring blade all the time. But now, every score is straight and accurate. No more swerving of the blade in the track. No more accidentally using too much pressure and having the score closer to a cut! And I will do scoring for artistic effect which I never did before - it's so simple and I love that I'm not moving the paper which is what helps keep it accurate.

Well worth it. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Thanks again for all the thoughts...I read that the Scor Pal had different markers that you could score at but can you tell me if you can actually score anyplace you need it on the paper? I just ask as since I am making wedding invitations that use a 12x12 paper cut down to square cards with pockets, I have some different spots that I need scored.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 02:56 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I love using the Scor Pal, except for one problem. When the directions tell me to score at 2 3/4 ", how do I do that? There aren't any 3/4" marks on the Scor Pal. I had to measure with a ruler and find a groove. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:37 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddeckView Post
I love using the Scor Pal, except for one problem. When the directions tell me to score at 2 3/4 ", how do I do that? There aren't any 3/4" marks on the Scor Pal. I had to measure with a ruler and find a groove. Any suggestions?
You can do this two ways. The first would be to slide your paper over 1/4" from the edge, and then use the 3" groove to score with. Or, you could line up your paper on the 1 1/2" mark and then use the 4 1/4" groove to score with. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:45 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

You can buy the Scor-Pal either from their website, www.scor-pal.com/ , or you can get it from Papertrey Ink, www.papertreyink.com/acc_scorpal.html . PaperTrey offers free shipping with a $55 order. So, if you got the Scor-Pal($40) and the Scor-Mat($15) you would get free shipping. If you are getting free shipping, you might as well try some of their stamps, paper, ink, and ribbons, since they are all to die for!! Can you tell I really like PTI?!?

Last edited by speanburg4; 03-10-2009 at 05:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Default OK you have my attention

but what do you use the scor mat for? Thanks, Jaime
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

JaimeC....The Scor-Pal mat can be used just like any other mat. One side is self healing for cutting and such. The other side could be just a regular work surface. The mat fits just inside the ledges of the Scor-Pal.

There are many places that sell the Scor-Pal both internet and some stores in certain areas.

I have both pieces and I love the Scor-Pal. Check out the Scor-Pal website for lots of ideas and tutorials. You can also purchase the items from that site, too.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Thank you Jennifer for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Thanks for all of the thoughts...my Scor Pal has been ordered and is on its way to me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Congratulations! You will LOVE it, and you won't regret buying it!! I was going to post how much I love mine, but I see you have already been enabled!! Have fun with your new toy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

I have a question... I purchased the first edition just before the second one came out- and I have never used it. I have a block in my mind that it is inferior to the new one. I'm not sure that makes sense but that;'s the way I think. Can someone tell me the difference between the 2?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertaStampingView Post
......... with the scor pal it's perfect every time.
Good luck,
Shannon
I'll "second" that!
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe the only difference is that the scoring tool has been improved. And you know what? I just ordered the tools and I can't "see" any difference. I just tossed them in a drawer until my original one breaks.

Now take out your score-pal and used it! <grin>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I had the same experience as Billie Dee! I just received the "new and improved" scoring tool, and detected no difference whatsoever. Even the packaging is identical to the previous one. I did the same thing too -- packed them away for "back-up" for future use. Too bad there's no way of knowing whether or not we got the "real deal". But for the price (2 for 1, no S&H) I guess it's not such a big deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Ladies,
I did it! I bought the Scor-Pal!! I am a SU Only demonstrator, so this is a biggy for me. I had been waiting for it to appear in the SU catalog, but it hasn't. So many people [here plus my customers] love it. I bought the whole package; no regrets that I didn't try something. It would be ironic if Stampin' Up! partners with them in the new catalog.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapamigaView Post
I had the same experience as Billie Dee! I just received the "new and improved" scoring tool, and detected no difference whatsoever. Even the packaging is identical to the previous one. I did the same thing too -- packed them away for "back-up" for future use. Too bad there's no way of knowing whether or not we got the "real deal". But for the price (2 for 1, no S&H) I guess it's not such a big deal.
Because it's only the composition of the tool that changed, no the mold, you will not notice a difference until you use it alot. The difference being it will not wear down as quickly as the first tool. When I first demo'd for Diana in Anaheim last year, the tools dulled - keep in mind we were scoring 100's (upon 100's) of scores per day, so it was not typical usage. We changed tools at the beginning of the next day so it would be fresh.

This year, we used the same tool for all three days, no noticable wearing at all.

And, Diana and Roy would not stake their reputations by packing up the old tool and misleading their customers by saying it's the new tool. They just aren't that type of people, period.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
Because it's only the composition of the tool that changed, no the mold, you will not notice a difference until you use it alot. The difference being it will not wear down as quickly as the first tool. When I first demo'd for Diana in Anaheim last year, the tools dulled - keep in mind we were scoring 100's (upon 100's) of scores per day, so it was not typical usage. We changed tools at the beginning of the next day so it would be fresh.

This year, we used the same tool for all three days, no noticable wearing at all.

And, Diana and Roy would not stake their reputations by packing up the old tool and misleading their customers by saying it's the new tool. They just aren't that type of people, period.
Thanks so much for the explanation! I apologize if I in any way sounded like I was discrediting the reputation of Scor-Pal! I've only ordered from them a couple of times, and have received great service. And I will certainly order from them in the future!

Thanks again for your input and the assurance that I'll never have to replace my scoring tools!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

this is great. I thought I finally decided to bite the money bullet and make an ATG purchase, but now I can't decide between the ATG or ScorePal.

I hate decisions. I'm sure I'll have them both eventually, but that's a long way off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Where is the best buy on the score-pal? There are no local stores here that carry it. I only have AC Moore and Michaels, so it will have to be an online purchase. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I bought mine on sale from Scrapper's Must Haves - it was $34.95 with free shipping. Right now their sale is over so it is $39.95 with free shipping.

Gina K Designs sells it for $39.95 with free shipping, and her customer service is amazing. Just scroll until you see the Scor-Pal. And while you're there, pick up a pack of her luxury cardstock. It is worth every single penny and scores beuatifully with the Scor-Pal!

Scrap Mart also has it for $39.99 with free shipping.

Paper Trey Ink also has the Scor-Pal for $40, free shipping if you order $55 I believe.

Considering they are all the same price except for PTI, I'd go with Gina K. Great customer service, fast shipping, and an all around wonderful company. It's rare to find it less than $39 IMO, unless you live near an Archiver's and can use the 30% off coupong (I don't). I only bought it from Scrapper's Must Haves because it was on sale there.

Maybe someone knows where there is a sale going on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

WOW! Thanks so much for all of the options. You really know your stuff!! Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I second the opinion above, as Gina K.'s has exceptionally QUICK shipping...one of the fastest I've personally experienced. I don't know much about the product you are considering, although I've heard it's great ( I just haven't invested in one yet), BUT I can tell you that you won't go wrong ordering from Gina K!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

I'll give a third (I know you can second something, but can you third? Oh well ) to Gina K. I ordered my Scorpal from her and the shipping was amazing. Like everyone else said, I can't recommend her enough!!

Pamela

BTW. I love the Scorpal too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I ordered my Scor-Pal and mat from PTI on Friday morning and it was at my doorstep by Monday afternoon. I'm SHOCKED! Haven't had a chance to play yet. Not really sure how to use all the markings on the self-healing mat. Any ideas??? Can't for the life of me figure out why they're there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

i am not exactly sure how this product works. it looks like a tray with a bunch of grooves in it, how do you make sure you center your card's score properly?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 03:10 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

The top and side are like rulers, so that's how you center your paper. Easy to use - I'm just stuck on how to use that mat, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

[/QUOTE]

Gina K Designs sells it for $39.95 with free shipping, and her customer service is amazing. Just scroll until you see the Scor-Pal. And while you're there, pick up a pack of her luxury cardstock. It is worth every single penny and scores beuatifully with the Scor-Pal!

[/QUOTE]

They have free shipping with $50.00 purchase
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry about that. I thought it was free shipping over $35, I should've double-checked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

My Scorpal has a permanent place on my desk..use it constantly..You are going to love it.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Alright, all you enablers, you talked ME into buying one!!!

Early birthday gift to myself....lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
Sorry about that. I thought it was free shipping over $35, I should've double-checked.
Hi Everyone,
We recently had to change our free shipping minimum to $50.00. If you order under $50.00, shipping is a flat rate of $4.95. This is a recent change due to some increased costs of shipping and shipping materials.

I just wanted to pipe in and say that I love the Scor-pal myself and I use it everyday! Diana and Roy are fabulous people and Diana is so smart to invent this thing! The Scor-mat is also a very useful tool. And soon, we'll have that fabulous new Scor-bug in stock. What another brilliant idea!

I posted a video at stampTV that shows you how to use the Scor-pal to make woodgraining look like planks of wood. There's very little you can't do with a Scor-pal!

Those of you wondering if this is a good investment, I will have to second, third and fourth everyone elses opinion and say YES! It has been one of my best purchases!

Reply With Quote Likes