Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scan n Cut2 expert? Can I use Make the Cut..

Hi,
Can I use a different cutting software (I have Make the Cut!) and use .svg format with the Scan n Cut 2? Hard to explain what I mean lol.

Canvas is a pretty weak program since it is free, compared to MTC so I guess I am asking if we are limited to using *only* the Brother Canvas program to get designs so our cutter?

Thank you!
Sherri L
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have MTC and really like it. I would go the the MTC website and check which cutters it supports. They are always adding to and upgrading the program and adding support for other cutters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you
I was more concerned that the scan n cut would somehow only able cutting from their canvas site...

But you are right, I'll go check out MTC and ask there
Thank you for the idea!
Sherri L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I think I heard you can use other programs as long as they get converted to the fcm files that scan n cut uses. Lots of SNC users use SCAL4 (sure cuts a lot 4) and MTC (make the cut). I just got my SNC but haven't been able to play yet, but I plan on getting SCAL4 program because you can do so much more over the CANVAS program.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Yes, you can cut SVG files with the SNC. I do it all the time. I use SCAL4 most of the time as Canvas is so basic but it is definitely easier to use if you want to edit nodes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Cathy, Thank you

Happy to know this. I don't do any designing...I just want to load the design and cut it LOL. Well, I will resize, but I have many .svg files and keep seeing people go through a ton of hoops when cutting to their SnC2 650.

Wasn't sure if that was necessary or if they were doing other things.
I am thrilled to know I can just load my svg design and cut!

Thank you again,
Sherri L

Quote:

Originally Posted by CwmwcwView Post
Yes, you can cut SVG files with the SNC. I do it all the time. I use SCAL4 most of the time as Canvas is so basic but it is definitely easier to use if you want to edit nodes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

@Kelly
Thank you Kelly
Yes, I have seen videos of ScAL being used but of course it confused me because I have MTC and I don't design things yet....only want to download, unzip, open...and cut LOL

I so wish there were a bunch of videos using MTC with the new Scan n Cut 2 machines, but they are mostly the SCAL4 and earlier.

But MTC uses .svg so I am glad to know I can just open and cut!

I'll be watching for your first cut and love to know how you like it

I won't be able to test my machine for a few more weeks so I live through others creations right now LOL

Sherri L

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
I think I heard you can use other programs as long as they get converted to the fcm files that scan n cut uses. Lots of SNC users use SCAL4 (sure cuts a lot 4) and MTC (make the cut). I just got my SNC but haven't been able to play yet, but I plan on getting SCAL4 program because you can do so much more over the CANVAS program.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftwiseView Post
@Kelly
Thank you Kelly
Yes, I have seen videos of ScAL being used but of course it confused me because I have MTC and I don't design things yet....only want to download, unzip, open...and cut LOL

I so wish there were a bunch of videos using MTC with the new Scan n Cut 2 machines, but they are mostly the SCAL4 and earlier.

But MTC uses .svg so I am glad to know I can just open and cut!

I'll be watching for your first cut and love to know how you like it

I won't be able to test my machine for a few more weeks so I live through others creations right now LOL

Sherri L
Sherri,

Here's the part that may confuse you - you don't access the SNC from MTC because it is not connected to your computer. If you have an SVG file, just load it onto a USB stick, plug it into the SNC, pull it up and cut it. You can also resize it right on the machine. If you want to work in MTC, you save the SVG to a USB stick and take it to the SNC. If you have the wifi capability, you send it from Canvas (I think). I don't have the wifi capability so I am not 100% sure of the procedure. It didn't make sense to me to pay for it since I have to get up and go over to my SNC to load the mat and cut. Just as easy to take a USB stick with me. I used that $50 (I have the 350) that the wireless activation card would have cost and used it to buy SCAL4.

You should really read through the SNC thread here in the Product area. Yes, it has a ton of posts but a lot of great information in there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Cathy
Thank you, I started reading through the posts and will keep doing so until I get caught up LOL

The wireless happened to come with my machine. I have an embroidery machine that uses .pes format so was very interested in the applique feature!

Thank you again very much
Sherri L

Quote:

Originally Posted by CwmwcwView Post
Sherri,

Here's the part that may confuse you - you don't access the SNC from MTC because it is not connected to your computer. If you have an SVG file, just load it onto a USB stick, plug it into the SNC, pull it up and cut it. You can also resize it right on the machine. If you want to work in MTC, you save the SVG to a USB stick and take it to the SNC. If you have the wifi capability, you send it from Canvas (I think). I don't have the wifi capability so I am not 100% sure of the procedure. It didn't make sense to me to pay for it since I have to get up and go over to my SNC to load the mat and cut. Just as easy to take a USB stick with me. I used that $50 (I have the 350) that the wireless activation card would have cost and used it to buy SCAL4.

You should really read through the SNC thread here in the Product area. Yes, it has a ton of posts but a lot of great information in there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Sherri...I am in the same boat on not being able to use my SNC yet! =( Doing some house remodeling and am tied up in that right now but I cannot wait to use my machine!! Super duper excited. I have sooooo many things I want to make. And I want to expand my craft business and think this machine will really help do just that! (If I ever get to play with it! LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Kelly
Hi,
I decided to spend my time watching all the tutorial videos I could find...LOL
And...I followed some of the tuts by working in the software and designing whatever was being created or taught. That *really* helped! Now I feel I will be ahead by the time I can get going!

I also have a major cutter, a KNK Maxx and Make the Cut! software but have only practiced a couple of pre designed images...nothing for a card etc. yet. But I have been learning that also.

If you get the chance I really encourage you to at least learn everything about Canvas and maintenance etc on your SNC!

I broke and severely sprained my foot a few weeks ago and have another 6-8 weeks at least before I can lower my foot. Uhg. No way I can manage using any of my machines until then.

I'm sorting beads in bed LOL.

How exciting on the remodel! I hope you are getting something you really want from it

Sherri L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Sherri...way to remain productive even while incapacitated!! =)

I have watched a few videos but plan to do more when I can. I know they will help me understand the machine better. I am worried I won't be able to devote the time to learning it, but I will just have to buckle down and do it!

I do like what I am doing to the house, so it's been worth all the headaches.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!
Reply With Quote Likes