Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reinkers as watercolor?

Does anyone use reinkers as watercolors?  I'm thinking about  buying a bunch of  oxide reinkers and am wondering how they might work to watercolor.  I saw a Youtube video on 7 ways to use reinkers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kFS_2ArshU
and one of them was as watercolors.  Have you tried this?  If so do the colors stay true?  I love oxides and want to use them in as many ways as I can.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Different reinkers work different ways, some will stay true and some will break down into constituent colours. Regular Distress inks are formulated to be stable with water so those are great to use as watercolours. Oxides I’m not so sure of because of the “chalkiness” of them. The colours might stay true but I think you’d get a sort of chalky bloom rather than a real watercolour look. Someone who’s tried it may say different though!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 02:53 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 606 Likes on 248 Posts

I suggest going through some older Tim Holtz videos.  I'm sure when the oxide inks and refills came out he had some demos using the re-inkers.  It's worth a look.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 05:53 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,138 Likes on 514 Posts

Do you have any of the pads to try it out with first? You can tap the corner of the pad on an acrylic block to make a mini palette. The oxides would act differently than other inks, but they're certainly water reactive and would work for painting! Most ink pad inks aren't lightfast, though, so be aware of that if you decide to paint something that's not going on a card front or might be displayed for some time.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I don't have an Oxide pad but I have all the sprays and love them. Knowing the ink isn't light fast is helpful; I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 03:38 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I do use oxide reinkers as my paints for watercoloring.  I just place a dot of paint on my palette. I use a wet brush to paint.  I usually don't "swish" the water with the paint.  Every now and again, the colors will separate on my palette and you see many different colors.  But when this happens, I just mix them up on my palette again and all is great.  I had the same question as you did when I first started using oxides last year.  While I am a "newbie" at watercoloring I have had some wonderful results.  Of course, it's not just the "paints" - it's your watercoloring papers, the brushes you use, etc.  I took a small flower (probably about 2" dia.) and stamped it on various WC papers/ heavy cardstock, colored card-stocks, etc., embossed them with different embossing powders, (it helps keep the water inside the flower petals), then went to town.  On the wrong side of my stamped image, I marked the ink I used to stamp it, the colors of oxides I used, the embossing powders, etc. so I had a record of what worked and what didn't. Experiment, experiment, experiment. Hope this helps.  Good luck and enjoy!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 03:50 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I recently used my Oxides to Water Color on the base of my card here:

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2970136?&cat=500&ppuser=168869

I also did sponging... I did the bleaching technique too on the large flower. I also used an Aquarelle Brush for my water coloring. I did the water coloring like Dina suggested above, creating a palette off to the side on my TH-glass mat & working from there. I think  you'll enjoy water coloring with the Oxides! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 04:07 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
I recently used my Oxides to Water Color on the base of my card here:

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2970136?&cat=500&ppuser=168869

I also did sponging... I did the bleaching technique too on the large flower. I also used an Aquarelle Brush for my water coloring. I did the water coloring like Dina suggested above, creating a palette off to the side on my TH-glass mat & working from there. I think  you'll enjoy water coloring with the Oxides! ;)<3

What a LOVELY card!  I loved your blended colors!  Great job!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 04:09 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird52paView Post

What a LOVELY card!  I loved your blended colors!  Great job!

THANK YOU bluebird52pa!!! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Bluebird, that is so helpful!  Thank you! I'm looking forward to receiving my oxide reinkers and following your advice, which I'm copying to my files.

TLady, That's gorgeous!  Your work is so professional.  I haven't done bleaching in ages, and I want to try it again.  You got such great shading with bleach on that card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 07:44 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
Bluebird, that is so helpful!  Thank you! I'm looking forward to receiving my oxide reinkers and following your advice, which I'm copying to my files.

TLady, That's gorgeous!  Your work is so professional.  I haven't done bleaching in ages, and I want to try it again.  You got such great shading with bleach on that card.

Actually, the only bleaching I did was on the large rose! ;) I didn't think the Oxide Inks (Sponging) gave me enough depth, so instead of adding more color, I took color away! LOL I wanted it to have the same kind of white areas as the roses on the base! AND THANK YOU for your SWEET COMMENT on my card! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2020, 02:49 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post

You are very welcome.  There were a number of people who helped me when I was struggling with questions - of course SCS is all about "helping' and everyone here is wonderful!  If you need any other advice, please don't hesitate to post and I'll respond!  Everyone will help you as they did me!  I wish I had a camera or a cell phone to take a picture but I'm sorry I don't.

Reply With Quote Likes