Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #81  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I would think that Carol used the champagne to match the ivory cardstock.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used 50% off coupon today for another package of shimmer. It was only $6.50 for the package of 100 sheets. Im set for awhile now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I got a package of half silver and half champagne with a 50% off coupon on Monday; can't wait to try it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #84  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the shimmer at my Michaels, as well as the 110 lb in white, ivory and black! I figured out why I couldn't find it before. It's up on a very high shelf... I'm 5'2" and it's above my head. Silly wabbits, high shelves are for tall people!

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottitudeView Post
I found the shimmer at my Michaels, as well as the 110 lb in white, ivory and black! I figured out why I couldn't find it before. It's up on a very high shelf... I'm 5'2" and it's above my head. Silly wabbits, high shelves are for tall people!
I'm glad you found it! I am 5'.8" and I have a good friend who is 4'.10". I've found we live in very different worlds when we are shopping.

I see stuff on the top shelves, and she is always spotting things down low. We make a good team!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #86  
Matboard Maniac

This is only my opinion...I was (at one time) 5'1 1/2" - not any more. When Michael's did their big renovation, everything went UP. I had to ask for help reaching the $1 bins because they were now over my head. I complained to the Mgr. I told him that I knew that Corporate had made the decision, not him. He said that HE liked the new design. He was Very tall. And very rude. He also said that EVERYONE liked the new design. I know, for a fact, that is not true. Anyone who is short hates having to ask for help reaching items and doesn't like the new look. I don't think Michael's is very user friendly. Happy stamping...Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #87  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
He said that HE liked the new design. He was Very tall. And very rude.
I think a former cashier at my Michael's must have been promoted to manager at yours. Or maybe Michael's just like hiring rude people.

I complained about my guy twice, both times by phone and the second time I followed up the complaint with a written letter. I was pooh-poohed both times. The second time I complained was when I disagreed with a price that came up on the register. I told the guy that there was a sign stating the price. I waited at the register and when he didn't return right away I started to walk down the aisle to show the sign to him. That's when I saw him instructing a gal to take down the sign and put up a different one. Then he had the nerve to tell me that I was wrong and if I didn't believe him I could go back and take another look at the sign. I asked to talk to the manager and he told me there was no manager in the store that day. I left everything on the counter and did not return for four years.

These days, the only items I buy from Michael's are those I can't get from JoAnn's. And even then, I buy them only if they are on sale or I have a coupon. I will never pay full price for anything from Michael's, no matter how much I might want the item.

BTW, I'm actually a pretty nice gal in person but I have zero tolerance for poor customer service. It's my biggest pet peeve next to jerks who ride my bumper.:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 03:18 AM   #88  
Matboard Maniac

BUT...Here is little R.I. we have a total of 3 Michael's stores. And a wonderful manager whose name is Michael. He is everything a manager should be and more. He has been the manager at all 3 stores. He is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #89  
Polyshrink Goddess

They only had one package of silver shimmer today. Now I have to go back in one week. Also have the 110 lb of white black and cream. Plus I picked up the package of vellum. Now off to make some cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #90  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I stopped by Michaels yesterday to pick up some yarn for some Christmas knitting and saw they had full stock of all the shimmer cardstock. I was in a real dilemma - yarn or cardstock! I ended up getting the yarn because I don't think that just a card for Christmas would have made me very popular amoung my family this year. But next time I have a 50% off coupon, its in my craftroom!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #91  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperManipulatorView Post
Today I was in Michaels and saw the shimmer cardstock for the first time. I didn't even know it existed. Came home and did a search on SCS to see what I could find. And here I am. A few questions for anyone who has experience with it. I'm guessing it would not be good for stamping, but could I use versamark to stamp, then emboss with a metallic powder? I bet it would be beautiful. Also, for Carol W, which shimmer cardstock color did you use to coordinate with the ivory cardstock? And is the dotted layer embossed with a folder? Too bad the shimmer is not #110 to use as a base, but I suppose if it is shimmery on both sides (is it?), it would not be good for printing or stamping the inside of a card. My last question was going to be whether or not it could be used in an embossing folder, but I see by the lovely photos that it certainly can! Thank you for any light you can shed on these issues!
Oh hi, I didn't see these questions until today. Thank you for asking (it's very flattering!).

Here are the details:
- I used what I believe is the Champagne shimmer (it's the more creamy of the 2 shades that come in the combo pack of Recollections "Shimmer Silver and Champagne.")
- The dotted layer was embossed with my good ol' Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder. The #110 lb. embosses just dandy in the folders so far for me, particularly if it's an all-over pattern. And at #65 lb., the shimmer cardstock is REALLY fun to emboss!
- About stamping on shimmer: In the card I posted here I used Versafine for the sentiment, no problems at all.
I've stamped with dye ink on shimmer paper before and it was fine. The ink sort of soaks into the paper and looks as though you used a shimmer ink. I haven't done it specifically with the Recollections shimmer, but with others (that feel similar) and it worked great. And certainly, Versamark + embossing powder would be lovely too, I'm sure.

I hope that helps. And thank you again for your kind interest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #92  
Matboard Maniac

Carol, thank you for all the details. Good to know which shimmer cardstock you used and how well it stamps and embosses. I bet Michaels sells a lot of it between now and Christmas! Thanks for taking the time to post the information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #93  
Kookie Creator

Thank you to whoever posted about the cardstock. It took awhile for me to find it. I absolutely love it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #94  
Proud Fan Club Member

I found Michael's 110 lb. cardstock when I was making cards for Operatio Write Home. Heavy base cardstock was needed for those cards. Now I can't make any cards without it! Definitely the best base!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #95  
Die Cut Diva

Received 935 Likes on 856 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Have you seen their Shimmer cardstock? It's gorgeous! They have white/gold (it's white with a subtle gold shimmer) and a combined pack of champagne and silver. The champagne is so elegant-looking, and the white/gold and silver are great for Christmas cards.

I have been enabled many, many times here, and just thought I'd return the favor.
Oh my gosh I need the shimmer too!! Out I go tomorrow! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #96  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

If you want to ink this shimmer paper, please allow time to dry or use a heat gun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #97  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinakathyView Post
I found Michael's 110 lb. cardstock when I was making cards for Operatio Write Home. Heavy base cardstock was needed for those cards. Now I can't make any cards without it! Definitely the best base!
I agree! It makes such a difference in the overall quality of the card. I am so embarrassed to think about all the cards I made using flimsy cardstock. My only consolation is that they did not take as long to break down once they made it to the dump! LOL

I have not tried the silver/champagne shimmer cardstock. I was told they are shimmer on both sides, which would be great for hanging projects where you might see both sides of the paper. I have the gold shimmer (love it!). But it has shimmer only on one side. I'm not sure if there is a price difference between the two or not.

Alcohol ink or Copic markers work great on shimmer cardstock. It gives the pieces color AND shimmer. Beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #98  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I have not tried the silver/champagne shimmer cardstock. I was told they are shimmer on both sides, which would be great for hanging projects where you might see both sides of the paper. I have the gold shimmer (love it!). But it has shimmer only on one side. I'm not sure if there is a price difference between the two or not.
I just bought the Michaels Recollection sliver shimmer cardstock and the shimmer is on one side only. It's only the 65# weight. Wish it was thicker, but my cards still came out nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default the shimmer cardstock is

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
I just bought the Michaels Recollection sliver shimmer cardstock and the shimmer is on one side only. It's only the 65# weight. Wish it was thicker, but my cards still came out nice.
Great for layering, stamping, embossing, die cutting, and coloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 04:03 AM   #100  
Hardware Hotshot

this bears repeating; what a great winter project and to be able to make our own'rub ons' from transparency in my supplies; I already have; otherwise it is quite expensive, If I remember correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Did you guys know you can print your own rub-ons and apply your sentiment to heavy cardstock that way?

You need a transparency, an inkjet printer and a popsicle stick, and a word-processing program. Overhead transparencies will work, and you can use the same sheet over and over, so ask your office supply store if they will give or sell you a sheet. And if you happen to have an inkjet transparency, be sure to print on the smooth side, not the rough side.

Type your word or sentiment. Insert the transparency so the printer will print on the smooth side. Select "plain paper" and "best" quality. Then select "reverse text" or "mirror image". Handle your printed transparency with care; allow the ink to dry for 3 to 5 minutes. Position it exactly where you want it, rub with your popsicle stick (you don't need to use a lot of pressure). Carefully remove the transparency in case any ink remains; clean it with a damp cloth, dry it and you're ready to go again!

I would recommend practicing this a few times. Now you can put all those fancy fonts you've downloaded to use!

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #101  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I made about 15 sets of personalized notecards for Christmas gifts this year.

I used the Recollections shimmer cardstock to make the boxes for the notes. They turned out very lovely. Then I just used a red ribbon and bow with a tag on them and didn't even have to wrap them!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes