Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Punches

After buying some EK punches and then using SU punches and some punches not name brand I have to say the the SU punches are exceptional smooth when it comes to punching.

How about you, what punch do you like the best ????
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

97% of my punches are EK Success either just plain EK or SU exclusives...I think they are great. I only buy Marvy when it's a shape I have to have...like snowflakes, etc. And I had to get the Fiskars Star to go with the PTI stars set. It works fine, but doesn't store on the rails like the others.

I have to add...I tried a Martha punch and it has trouble with the SU CS...though I guess some people have no problems with them...so possibly I got a bad one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I really am a SU fan. Love their punches. Have all but the key tag.. and it seems that is now sold out, so I guess I won't get that one... My BIG issue is the price. New catty has then $7.00 more than the US catty. that is a huge price increase.

I can get punches at Mike's using a 40% or 50% off coupon... So I guess the next 6 months, Mike's it is for punches.

I have one Martha punch as well, and I am not happy with it at all. I have to put it in the freezer before using it .... just a pain to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I love my SU punches. NONE of my other punches, ie EK Success, Martha Stewart, Marvy, etc. compare with the ease of my SU punches. The other ones have a hard time punching cleanly and take a lot of pressure. Why do I keep buying them? I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ64View Post
I love my SU punches. NONE of my other punches, ie EK Success, Martha Stewart, Marvy, etc. compare with the ease of my SU punches. The other ones have a hard time punching cleanly and take a lot of pressure. Why do I keep buying them? I have no idea.

You do know that EK Success makes the SU punches, right???

Do you really find that the SU branded ones punch better? I guess I hadn't noticed....though they should...LOL...they cost more and are never on sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I love my Su punches, stop buying others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

I absolutely love my SU Punches, I haven't bought any EK ones... mostly because I like my things to be uniform... all one color and coordinating... weird I know!! ha ha!!

Please visit my Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

It's "odd" that everyone loves the SU! punches and I think they work well, also. But doesn't EKSuccess make the SU! punches? At least, I was under the impression that they did. If they do make the SU! punches, why would they ever make their own brand a lesser quality? Just seems like "cutting their own throats," so to speak, right? I would think that EKSuccess would want to make their punches the same quality as the SU! ones just so they could sell more of their own brand.:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 03:27 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm an equal-opportunity punch purchaser.:cool:

Some work better than others, but I've had good luck with most brands. Right now, I'm annoyed with my SU scallop border punch...just can't get a clean punch with it, which is a first for an SU punch. I'm going to try punching the soda can to sharpen it 'cause tin foil didn't help at all. I had to exchange a marvey scallop punch once because it wouldn't punch at all(clearly defective). Generally, though, my punches work pretty well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 05:22 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

The only punches I avoid are the old-style "push-down-on-the-white-button" kind - they need way too much force and since most of those shapes you can get in a lever-style punch . . .

I haven't noticed a difference between my EK Success punches and my SU! punches, but EK Success also makes Martha Stewart brand and people seem to have all kinds of problems with those. I guess I've just been lucky with those - I have quite a little collection of them and they all seem to work fine - two of the really detailed borders punch a little harder than the others, but nothing I can't live with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
It's "odd" that everyone loves the SU! punches and I think they work well, also. But doesn't EKSuccess make the SU! punches? At least, I was under the impression that they did. If they do make the SU! punches, why would they ever make their own brand a lesser quality? Just seems like "cutting their own throats," so to speak, right? I would think that EKSuccess would want to make their punches the same quality as the SU! ones just so they could sell more of their own brand.:confused:
They DO make the SU punches...that's what I was asking earlier if they really seem to puch different...I hadn't noticed any difference except price.

I do like that they make the graduated sizes which include the SU exclusive in the size range...for instance the scallop circle sold by SU is the only way to get that size, but the other scallop circles that EK sells elsewhere mat perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

All of my EKSuccess punches work very well, so far. I have not bought any of those new ones that store flat or something like that, so I don't know about those. And surprisingly, my MS punches all work, even on card stock! I know there have been many problems with those but mine are fine.

What I can't stand are those Fiskars border punches!:twisted: I can't get them to punch through card stock. My hands aren't strong enough and sometimes my husband can't do it, either. In fact, a friend of mne broke 2 of them on the same day just trying to get them to work!:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
Could it be that, rather than making their own of lesser quality, that SU! is more demanding? Seems odd to me as well.

I had a regular EK success corner rounder that I bought before I became a demo, and when I was over at a friend's house recently and she let me use her SU! one that was the same size radius I noticed immediately how much more smoothly it functioned and that it cut much better. My green one has since died -- the handle snapped off while I was using it to make a scalloped border (wanted a larger scale than the edge punch)! So, now that SU! has retired that particular punch I'll have to see whether I can find one for sale on the BST boards!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

bump!
Resurrecting this thread cuz I'd love to see more opinions. I got all my punches when I first started, so they're the 'original' kind with the white button. Soooo hard to use, but hard to justify getting rid of them all only to buy new ones...

nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I love SU punches, too, but I think my EK's punch just as well. That's why I try to find the SU size punches elsewhere. The can't seem to find the 1 3/4 scallop circle, but have found their other circle punches a lot cheaper in the EK brand. I only have 2 MS punches and have no problems with them, but I just got them a week ago.
Denise

I want to buy everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

For those who think that the EK Success and SU punches are comparable, it would stand to reason given that both types are made by EK Success. See post #11, she gives a nice tip about layering the two "brands."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love all punches. I will buy any brand except McGill punches. I only have one of those and "gifted" the rest. You have to be He-Man to use those things. I am not He-Man, ROFL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by felis44View Post
bump!
Resurrecting this thread cuz I'd love to see more opinions. I got all my punches when I first started, so they're the 'original' kind with the white button. Soooo hard to use, but hard to justify getting rid of them all only to buy new ones...

nina
You might not have to get rid of them - Marvy makes a tool called a "punch mate" and there's another brand called a "punch buddy" that is a lever contraption to set the punch in and use the lever on the tool to put force on the button to punch. Here's a link to the punch mate - LINK - this is just one of the first stores I found for it.

I don't have one of these so I can't vouch for how well it works; I was lucky enough to not start collecting punches until the lever style were widely available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 05:40 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
You might not have to get rid of them - Marvy makes a tool called a "punch mate" and there's another brand called a "punch buddy" that is a lever contraption to set the punch in and use the lever on the tool to put force on the button to punch. Here's a link to the punch mate - LINK - this is just one of the first stores I found for it.

I don't have one of these so I can't vouch for how well it works; I was lucky enough to not start collecting punches until the lever style were widely available.
I have this tool and it really works!!!! I have alot of the old CM punches and this tool comes in handy.

To the OP I really like SU punches. I think they work well also. I have a few Fiskars that are very detail punches and I don't like them at all. The cut is not clean.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I have several SU punches and several EK Success. I haven't noticed ANY difference in how well they punch. SU could never have all the shapes I want (like a ballerina for example) so I shop around. If a particular punch gets a lot of use, I notice over time that the edges of my cardstock look a little fuzzy...then it's time to punch some tin foil and wax paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Actually, SU's punches say EK Success right on them, so I would have to say that they are the same punches. I have a lot of SU punches, and a couple EK Success punches that I got at a local stamp store, and they are the same thing. They all work great. I only have one Martha Stewart punch, and it works great too.

I just wish I could find these EK Success punches at a store that has a 40% off coupon once in a while, then I would be one happy camper!
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love all kinds of punches...I cannot believe how many I have....They add so much zing to a project...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
Actually, SU's punches say EK Success right on them, so I would have to say that they are the same punches. I have a lot of SU punches, and a couple EK Success punches that I got at a local stamp store, and they are the same thing. They all work great. I only have one Martha Stewart punch, and it works great too.

I just wish I could find these EK Success punches at a store that has a 40% off coupon once in a while, then I would be one happy camper!
I probably shouldn't tell you this, but Michael's has all their punches on sale this week for 40% off.

Also, www.scrapbookingalley.com has them for what they say is 20% off but actually works out to about 30% off by my calculation - and you would also pay no shipping or sales tax. And they have a huge selection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I probably shouldn't tell you this, but Michael's has all their punches on sale this week for 40% off.

Also, www.scrapbookingalley.com has them for what they say is 20% off but actually works out to about 30% off by my calculation - and you would also pay no shipping or sales tax. And they have a huge selection.
I know, but our Michael's has a horrible punch selection. I've bought about everything I can from them, and they are constantly out of stock on items.

I'll check out scrapbookingalley.com, I've been very impressed with some of their prices. Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

I usually watch joann.com for a combo sale on punches/free shipping w/$25 purchase. It doesn't happen often but usually right after Christmas, I noticed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

A.C. Moore carries some (a few) as does HL (again, a few) - very limited selection. But if you find what you want, HL has a 40% coupon this week, and A.C. Moore has all of their punches 40% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Most of my punches are EK or EK for SU. I do have a growing collection of Martha Stewart punches and a few Marvy punches that I've had from my early stamping days back in the mid '90's. For a long time I resisted adding to my punch collection, but now I have more punches than I have room to store them!! lol But, I just love them! :>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
A.C. Moore carries some (a few) as does HL (again, a few) - very limited selection. But if you find what you want, HL has a 40% coupon this week, and A.C. Moore has all of their punches 40% off.
Unfortunately all we have where I live is Michael's and Joanns. No Hobby Lobby or A.C. Moore. I do have a locally owned stamp store here that carries the E.K. Success punches but they don't usually have sales or coupons. And I am pretty partial to this brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the info re: Craft Punch Mate! I'd never heard of that before. But can you punch upside-down so you can see exactly where you're punching? Probably not, from the picture...

Anybody like Fiskars Squeeze punches? Michael's carries them and I wonder if they're any good or if the EK/SU ones are better. I like my EK thumb lever punches a lot, I got a few when they first came out way back when. Have hated my 'original' style punches ever since...

I'm not sure I want to invest a lot in punches anyway, especially since I have a CB and lucky me a Silhouette for my BD. :-) But a few squares & circles would be handy.

nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought my first Fiskers Squeeze Punch a week or two ago and I love it. I mostly have SU and EK Sucess punches and I like those, but I really like the Fiskers one. (I was actually shocked.) It punches really smooth and easy. Maybe because there isn't any detail on it? I bought the 2" circle punch and I've been layering it behind the SU scallop punch.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 03:52 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a lot of old punces that have the button, but just this week bought several punches from Michaels. I was looking for a circle puch and then a scalloped circle to layer behind it. Didn't find it, but found a square so those went home with me and work great, I believe they are Marvy leaver punches. I also bought 2 border punches. I was worried about these as I have bought two MS border punches and have the roughest time getting it to release after I punch! I don't think I will be buying anymore of her punches.

I am realativly new to stamping to my punch collection isn't great. But I do love the SU punches as well. Why wasn't I born rich?!! LOL. So much STUFF I need (LOL) so little cash!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 04:20 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

I have almost all SU and I love 'em!! I do have a few MS that were on sale for 75% off after Christmas. I really want the MS picket fence punch but I hesitate because so many post that they are not really happy with her brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:07 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Yeah, MS punches don't punch cardstack very well! I use the Georgia Pacific C/S and MS won't go through it. I don't use a lot of patterned paper which is thinner. So therefore I don't buy MS although I really like some of her designs......

Estelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:30 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Thank you for the tip about the Punch Buddy. I really need to get one of those.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamahoweView Post
Yeah, MS punches don't punch cardstack very well! I use the Georgia Pacific C/S and MS won't go through it. I don't use a lot of patterned paper which is thinner. So therefore I don't buy MS although I really like some of her designs......

Estelle
See, this is what's so weird. I don't have any trouble punching thru the Georgia Pacific with any of my Martha punches - even the really detailed doily lace border and the lacy heart border from Valentine's day. I can't figure out how I got lucky enough that mine all work, because so many other people here have problems with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

Love my Fiskars squeeze punches. I also have some EK slim profile punches which work really well for me and take up so little room (bonus!). My only issue is with my MS border punch which doesn't leave smooth edges in my cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only have maybe 1 or 2 SU punches, but have lots of all the other kinds (EK, Fiskars, Marvy, MS) and all work great with all kinds of cardstock (bazzil, SU, neenah, shimmer, etc). Luckily I haven't had any problems so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love SU punches - they just seem to work so well especially with the heavier weight card stock. My EK success punches are my second favorite - I love having the variety of border punches they offer.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am also a punch lover! I have quite a few EK and SU, but not all. Wish I did have all the styles SU has! Will have to work on that-LOL! I have some off brands, and whoever posted the McGill punch is hard--they are right! That is my least favorite punch, but it has a nice long oval punch that's great for some sentiments. It's different than the SU oval punch, and for some things it's the best shape, but sooo hard to punch! My dog leaves the room when I use it because I must make sounds of effort (grunts, huffs) then it also bangs when it punches through.
I have some MS punches, and so far, I like them! They certainly have some great shapes!
I have a question? Can you get the SU curly label punch anywhere else other than SU?
Or the Word Window punch anywhere else? Or are they just SU exclusives? Just curious!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

I have all but about 3 of the SU punches, but I didn't buy them all from SU. Most of their shapes I can just by straight from EK Success at Hobby Lobby with a coupon, so I do. MUCH cheaper. I find no difference, but there shouldn't be as they're the same. I have a couple SU punches that don't work well, Word Window and Scalloped Circle and the scallop edge. They never did work very well. But I have had no trouble with any of my other punches. I think it's just luck of the draw though-- I don't think because they're SU that they don't work as well as EK Success since they're the same.

I also will use any punch if I like the shape. I have a couple of Martha Stewart punches, and I think they work great-even on SU CS. I think they're more comfortable in the hand as well. I'm tempted to buy some Jolee punches that Michael's is carrying now.
Reply With Quote Likes