Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PTI Stamps--label or not?

I'm new to PTI clear stamps and need advice: should I put the index label on or not? Will they still cling to the mount?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Or (after squinting at the instruction sheet ;) ) are they just to be put on the case and not on the stamps at all?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are not for the stamps. They are for your storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValliView Post
Or (after squinting at the instruction sheet ;) ) are they just to be put on the case and not on the stamps at all?
You apply the label to the outside of the CD case, then affix the stamps to the inside, using the images as a guide for placement.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
You apply the label to the outside of the CD case, then affix the stamps to the inside, using the images as a guide for placement.
Except that not all of the stamps come with CD cases anymore. The newest releases since february do not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Except that not all of the stamps come with CD cases anymore. The newest releases since february do not.
How do you store them now? I haven't bought any of the new stamps yet this year.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by daffyrs1View Post
How do you store them now? I haven't bought any of the new stamps yet this year.
I personally continue to buy CD cases (I get a 10 pack at Target for $5), in part because I also use the cases to store my other stamps.

However, PTI redesigned their packaging for the stamps to go into DVD cases (that are not yet available in the PTI store due to manufacturer issues or something), so their labels are no longer designed for CD cases. This is not a huge issue for me, and I know some people cut up their labels anyhow, but I did LIKE the CD case labels.

Anyhow, the new PTI background stamps are also a bit longer, which is why they re-did the storage to be DVD cases-- they won't fit CD cases. But I don't really like to build backgrounds, so not a problem for me (Although I do also have DVD cases because I've got SU and Amuse product, and the DVD cases hold cling mount rubber better anyhow.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love those SU DVD cases & have been buying them for all of my other unmounted rubber stamps. So the PTI stamps will fit into those SU DVD cases? If so thats great, I have to buy more cases anyway. Thanks for the info!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Thanks for all of the information! I am so glad I asked!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently made my first PTI purchase of three stamp sets (which to my great relief was drama-free!) and I originally put my stamps in their CD cases with the clear labels on the outsides of the cases. I found two things I didn't like about this though. First, the cases are so thin that the stamps were squished together when I closed the cases- I was worried that this might warp them over time. Second, I found it difficult to get an overall sense of what images and sentiments were in each set without staring at both sides of the cases for what seemed like hours, since there are so many stamps per set and so little room in the CD cases that they basically have to be crammed together in a jumble... and the fact that the stamps and labels and the cases are clear made it harder to really discern one image from the next when the cases were closed.

So, I bought some blank DVD cases and cut and scored some plain white paper to fit inside the sleeves. I then organized the stamps from each set in a way that made sense to me- I wanted all the sentiments together on one side and all the images together on the other side. Using the outsides of the DVD cases as I would an acrylic block, I put all image stamps together on one side and then all sentiment stamps together on the other side. Then I inked up the stamps and stamped them onto the fronts and backs of the white paper, so that I can see the index of stamps from the outside of the cases and also the inside, where I can see where to replace each stamp. Then I labelled the spine with the name and number of each set. I cleaned up the stamps, inserted the paper into the sleeve and put the stamps on top of the index sheets inside the cases. I have found this to be a far more useful way of storing these stamps since I can really see what stamps there are and I'm not so afraid of unknowingly losing some of those tiny ones or squishing them.

Hope that helps, although my explanation is probably a bit confusing- I'm dealing with a nasty cold so my head is even fuzzier than usual I'll try to upload a photo of the cases I made later for the benefit of people like me who need to see it to get it!

Anna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Great idea, Anna!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Here are link to a couple of photos in my gallery that I just uploaded of the DVD storage cases:
PTI DIY DVD Storage! by Hallupino - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
PTI DIY DVD Storage! by Hallupino - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Sorry for having to follow these links; I have yet to learn how to attach thumbnails to a posting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

You might want to check with PTI about that particular storage for their stamps. I believe the stamps react with the type of plastic used for the dvd cases. Even if they are attached to the original plastic, I don't know if the case gives off anything that may affect the stamps. I wish there was something like it that would work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldmjView Post
You might want to check with PTI about that particular storage for their stamps. I believe the stamps react with the type of plastic used for the dvd cases. Even if they are attached to the original plastic, I don't know if the case gives off anything that may affect the stamps. I wish there was something like it that would work.
THAT's something else I needed to know--thanks!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Whoah, thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can find out more about that! I'd hate to damage my stamps, or worse, have anyone else damage theirs too!

And to think I thought I'd found the perfect storage solution.... :(

SkyNacho just mentioned above here that PTI will soon be introducing DVD cases for their new stamps- these must be made of a different plastic, I'm assuming? If so, I hope I can at least use those instead of the SU ones.

Thanks again!

Anna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not sure why I have this impression, maybe from something they issued when they announced the change, but I believe their DVD-sized cases are the same material as the CD cases.

Or maybe I just assumed this because I have some DVD-sized cases like this that I had bought from Stamp-by-Step/

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I looked on Nichole's blog and the entry for June 15 has a product update. She talks about the DVD cases being available soon. I think they are a different material from SU cases that will not affect the ability of the stamps to cling over time. According to a Feb. 2 entry they would sell for 5 for $7
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I've been asking around on the PTI forums for info on this, and no one has reported any bad effects. A couple of other people have been storing their PTI stamps in the SU DVD cases for two years now, without any problems. One member said that she had noticed some 'cheap' acrylic stamps (not sure what brand) that she had stored in one of the cases had caused some warping of the case.

Another member mentioned that she preferred the Tim Holtz stamp storage folders- so I checked those and found that they are meant to be used for both acrylic and photopolymer stamps, and are made of polypropylene. SO, perhaps we can assume that polypropylene is a safe material...

Then I decided to phone SU to ask what they knew. The DVD cases are also made of polypropylene. And as far as they know there shouldn't be any problems with storing photopolymer or clear stamps in them, although they haven't of course done testing with other brands of stamps in their DVD cases. So that's as much as I've been able to find out. I think I'll keep my PTI stamps in the DVD cases for now and just keep my eyes open to any signs of degradation, and watch the forums in case anyone else notices a problem.

I do wish the SU DVD cases were a bit less pricey though- here in Canada they're 4 for $7.50!
Reply With Quote Likes