Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prisma pencils...please advise

I'm new to coloring and cards. I have some markers & regular colored pencils. I'm looking to challenge myself and think the prisma pencils I hear about could be the thing to try this summer.

*Who has tried them?
*How much "work" do they take to get the hang of?
*Is it true I can sub baby oil for the glamsol (?)...I read on a post somewhere on SCS women who are pg can't use glamsol...I have no clue if that's accurate but is important info for me at this time.

I opted against the Copic markers. Way too much money to just sit on my desk and never use, or get the hang of, and friends tell me they take time and practice. I expect that with all things new but I'd rather get started with something less pricey.

Any advice, help, insight out there?? Thansk in advance!
~ Denise
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I love using my Prisma Pencils, I use the OMS with them, I have tried the baby oil and Goo Gone and I personally like the OMS (I bought it a Micheal's under the name of Mona Lisa) I found the the baby oil and Goo Gone left an oily mark that lasted for about an hour or more and when you are in a hurry to make a card I found I just didn't have time to wait for it to go away. I have also tried using the mineral spirits from the paint department at WalMart and it has a really noticable smell to it. I also understand your hesitation about using the Copic's, what I have done is ordered a small set of the Prisma markers and a few of the Copic so that I could try each one of them out and see which I like better before investing alot of money. As for purchasing my Prismacolor pencils and the Prisma markers I went to eBay and got really great deals on both, my pencils are the 120 set and the markers are the 12 set. Hope you have fun playing with these new toys and just take your time in learning how they work and which method works best for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Virtually all the craft stores carry them; use a coupon. Dick Blick art supplies is a popular source, and the prices are good. http://www.dickblick.com/

From the start decide carefully how many you want to buy because if you want more later on getting a second larger set will get you duplicates. Buying individual pencils may not be a cheap way to go either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I use my Prismacolor pencils and gamsol almost exclusively for coloring. It took me a little while to decide to purchase them, but I used a 40% coupon at one of the big stores and only bought the 24 set to start. I would recommend a larger set b/c I've had to buy a few individual pencils (like grey) to round out my colors. I personally haven't tried baby oil or goo gone. I don't like the smell of goo gone and I don't have any baby oil in the house. For now I have decided that I don't need Copics and can't justify the cost of them. Good lick with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I bought the 120 Prisma pencil set about 3 years ago and I consider it my best stamping purchase ever (and I have a lot of stuff.) Even though I've used them steadily for 3 years they still look like new. They just last and last and last.

I use the Gamsol but haven't tried the baby oil or Goo Gone. From threads on here it seems lots of ladies are happy with those. You don't have to use anything to blend, but I'm not that great of colorer.

I recently started collecting copics and I'm really happy that the copics and colored pencils can be used together.

When you purchase your pencils they come unsharpened. They include a little sharpner but I've found my old electric pencil sharpner works great and is much quicker.

I don't think you will ever regret getting them.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have them and I use Baby Oil - I got artist grade OMS in the art/craft department of our Walmart but I found that after a while I got a headache so I switched over. The baby oil does leave a residue.

I think all of the coloring on my blog is prismacolor pencil with and without the blending technique.

ETA - I got mine at Michael's with a 50% off coupon

ETA - http://www.prismacolor.com/sanford/c...=SNPRCat100002 a link to the colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It takes a little longer to color, but you can achieve some shading just with the pencils and layering the color.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh I forgot, you asked how much work do they take to get used to. Very little. Basically you can color and blend, it's that simple. There are some tutorials out there that help you get started if you want that, but honestly you will be able to figure it out on your own and then read about the technique to improve your skills as you go.

One other hint. The blending stumps come in different qualities. I think the very best ones are the ones Gina K carries on her website, I just recently discovered hers. 2nd place are the ones that say made in Taiwan. Last place are the ones made in China. They aren't horrible or anything
and will work fine if that's all you can find for now.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started using the Prisma pencils, too. I am definitely HOOKED!
I chose to use baby oil. It is now one of my favorite stamping techniques.

I started with a set of 24 pencils. I didn't want to sink alot of money into them until I knew if I liked it or not. Now, I would love a bigger set.

You can find Prismas as Michael's, Hobby Lobby or any art store (although likely cheaper at the craft stores with a coupon).

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I use a natural product called Zest-It. I can't get Gamsol over here and I found out about this product on the internet and bought some off Ebay. It's got a nice orange smell and doesn't leave any oily marks or anything. I don't know if it's as good as or better than other 'non-natural' products but I like it!!

The seller on Ebay (jandtblackman) says they despatch worldwide so it might be something for you to consider if you don't want to use Gamsol.

Happy crafting

Caz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Ladies - thanks so much for all the input!

I definitely can't use the OMS, or any MS, per my doc (coul dbe pg at any point.) The baby oil coul dbe my only choice. I will look for the Zest-It as well, thanks for that info!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I saw the gamsol technique at my first ever stamp convention at the inky antics booth, and I was hooked. I bought some prismas on ebay. It took a while to get used to it, but I love it now.. only thing is that I dont' have luck with the stump things.. I use dollar store q-tips (they dont' 'uff' up as much as the q-tip brand, for me qtips work the best
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

You don't have to use OMS, baby oil, goo-gone, or anything with Prismacolor Pencils, if you don't want to do so. The Prismacolor pencils can be used alone, and because they are waxed-based they can blend....just press hard. That is the key. I have taken two colored pencil classes and that is the one main thing I learned...to press hard. Might take some more time to blend without the solutions, but I find the colors to be more vibrant if the colored pencils are used alone.

Designing for:
Tiddly Inks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2008, 01:02 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CazJNView Post
I use a natural product called Zest-It. I can't get Gamsol over here
Good tip Caz and sounds perfect for anyone concerned about OMS but just in case other UK people are reading this the brand name to look for here if you want to buy the equivalent of Gamsol is Sansodor - you'll find it with artist supplies as it's used to thin oil paints.

To answer the OP, I know Keri Sereika (sereikastamper) used baby oil when she was pregnant as she didn't want to use OMS - the results look similar and it's always better to be on the safe side.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2008, 04:29 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I love prismacolor pencils I color with and without Gamsol. Here are a couple of things to condsider:

Use an electric pencil sharpener or one of the metal shapeners, all others will eat up the wood. Mone cost under $10 and its great.

Primsas lead is soft and will break, especially if they are dropped. I've heard that you can put them in the microwave for a few seconds to remelt the wax. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works. The soft lead is what makes the prismas so easy to use, kind of a curse and a blessing!

They are not watercolor pencils and do not react the same with water as with gamsol/turpenoid, etc. so don't expect to be able to "watercolor" with them. Gamsol technique is actually "faux" watercolring.

I prefer to buy singles instead of sets because I seem to use the same colors and the sets have colors I rarely use but with a coupon the savings is worth it for some.

I haven't had problems with the different types of blending stumps, I think I'll buy some from Gina K to test the difference but so far my results have been good. I don't like using q-tips as I don't have as much control.

If you are not sure about spending the $$ on prismas and you haven't colored with pencils, buy a set of crayola colored pencils and see if you like the technique. If you do, then spend the money because they are worth it.

If you want a great set for skin tones, Lyra Skin Tone pencil set has beautiful browns and tans that are not only great for skin, but also bunnies, bears, etc.

Buy a pencil extender so you can still use your short pencils.

Do some research on the internet on how color pencil artists use colored pencils. You can learn a lot about how to hold the pencil, shading techniques, etc. Coloring with pencils is easy but doing a little research will make it even easier and you'll get better results.

Hope you have fun and good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Just wondering Stamphappy1650 - are your Lyra skin tone pencils 'giant' or just a regular diameter? I've just been having a look online and can only see giant ones so I'm wondering if that's how they come or whether I'm looking in the wrong places!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Just wondering Stamphappy1650 - are your Lyra skin tone pencils 'giant' or just a regular diameter? I've just been having a look online and can only see giant ones so I'm wondering if that's how they come or whether I'm looking in the wrong places!
Yes, they are the giants. These pencils are softer and have incredible blending potential.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I too am in the process of researching the Prismas. I went to the DickBlick website. It's not the watercolor ones I would want but just the colored pencils???
And what exactly is Gamsol? And where would I purchase that?
THanks for the information ladies!
Lindalee

Lindalee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

You don't want the watercolor or the Scholar pencils. Check http://www.dickblick.com/zz205/08b/ for the set prices.

Gamsol is a brand name of artist odorless paint thinner. I think other brands of the thinner are sold in Walmart, Joann, and Michaels. Mona Lisa is one brand. Art stores usually sell Gamsol, but it might be in a larger (and more expensive) container than the previously mentioned stores sell. I should think any brand would be similar in effect. Just make sure it's odorless and not hardware store type paint thinnner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for the information!

Lindalee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Default more on Prisma and baby oil vs Gamsol

I have been using baby oil instead of Gamsol for quite a few months now. I have also tried using Goo Gone. The results with GG was ok for me, but I much prefer to use my baby oil technique. I do use stumps but I was showing the technique to a friend and she had a large area that she was coloring and got tired of the stump so she used her finger. LOL I do think that the Q-tip would work in that case.
She didn't have Prisma pencils but had her son's Rose Art pencils. I also have used EK Success pencils and the little pencils that came in a child's set from the dollar store. The baby oil breaks the pencils down if they are was content. I'm not an artist, but since I have been using the pencils I don't even try to use the markers. Never was happy with them when coloring in my stamped images.

I hope you will try one of the methods even if you get dollar store pencils to experiment with. It is a fun process and very addictive. LOL

Have fun!

Estelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I use #115 Xtra Mild Citrus Thinner by Eco-House. It does have an orange odor, but it doesn't set off my asthma or give me headaches the way that OMS did.

Here's a link. http://www.eco-house.com/art_supplies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Hay Denise! One method that hasn't been mentioned yet is mineral oil. I commend you for being cautious, theres so much stuff out there that can harm unborn babies. I'm old as dirt and I don't have allergies so I love using Prismas & Mona Lisa OMS from Michaels in the artist section. It says paint thinner on the label, but under contents on the back, it says 100% OMS. I haven't personally tried mineral oil yet, but I do plan to. Here is Julie Buhler's tutorial posted on her blog:
http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...e-color-f.html
Ann aka stamps&cars has a stump swap a couple times a yr. She sells the same ones GinaK sells. You can PM her and she'll put you on the notification list for this fall. Then when she opens the share, she'll send you the order info. so that if you decide to order, you can pick the sizes/prices you want. HTH!
May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

One more thing that hasn't been mentioned... there is a blender PENCIL available. It's just like a regular pencil, just with 'wax' colored lead (if that makes sense). I bought one open stock... hmm, I want to say at HL, but I'm sure you can find one just about anywhere they have open stock of prismas. Now, it won't give you the same effect, but it does blend them pretty well. One thing I've noticed (I'm new to pencils too) is that the OMS sorta blends out the lines, the divot in the paper if you press too hard - KWIM? The blender pencil just kinda makes it all one divot. Did that make sense?
Anyway, it was the same price as the others and might give you an idea of what it could look like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 02:00 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Yes, they are the giants. These pencils are softer and have incredible blending potential.
Great, thank you! I'll look around for a good price and may *ahem* extend my pencil collection with those! Prisma Light Peach and Peach are OK for caucasian skin tones but it would be nice to have a something with just a touch more 'tan' sometimes and great to have pencils for other ethnic groups if I need them.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to Julie1

I love my Prisma pencils. I use mine with baby oil and have never had a problem with an oily residue. I have been using Whisper White paper. I also use the Colorless Blending pencil and it works pretty good too, I will agree that it does have a little different effect then the baby oil but I still like it.

I do have one question too, what kind of ink do y'all use when you stamp your image? I have been using Black Stazon and have noticed that the pencil will smear the black some, am I not letting it dry long enough or is there a better ink out there?

You can also pick up Prisma products at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing. They have a huge open stock selection and they are cheaper than Michaels. They are actually a sister company of Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi there, I think the Prisma's are a must!!! I just recently got mine and I love them! I use mine with Goo Gone! That's just because I was in such a hurry tio try them and that is all I had in the house! LOL! I love it though, works great! I always used blender pens, what a difference!!!! I am so happy I got them, now I color everything in sight! I know you can blend them, but, I just wish I would have gotten the bigger set. I got the 36 pack. I hope you get a set and have lots of fun, I know I am!!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie1View Post
I do have one question too, what kind of ink do y'all use when you stamp your image? I have been using Black Stazon and have noticed that the pencil will smear the black some, am I not letting it dry long enough or is there a better ink out there?
I use Stewart Superior India Ink. I just let it air dry a minute or two and haven't had any smearing problems. I haven't tried Stazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks for the continued advice, opinions, tips, and enabling. ;) I bought a 12-pack tin yesterday with a half off coupon...couldn't go wrong for $9. Per the doc I definitely cannot use any MS, OMS or not. I could not find blending stumps at AC Moore or Michaels but will try with Q-tips until I get around to ordering some this week. I also need to get baby oil to use, and be on the hunt for those other non-MS items some of you recommended.

I REALLY appreciate all of the help ladies. I check the thread regularly so feel free to keep it coming!

~ Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

teacher4416......You can purchase the stumps at both AC Moore and Michaels in the Fine Arts Department. They are not in the Paper Crafting isles.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #31  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacher4416View Post
Thanks for the continued advice, opinions, tips, and enabling. ;) I bought a 12-pack tin yesterday with a half off coupon...couldn't go wrong for $9. Per the doc I definitely cannot use any MS, OMS or not. I could not find blending stumps at AC Moore or Michaels but will try with Q-tips until I get around to ordering some this week. I also need to get baby oil to use, and be on the hunt for those other non-MS items some of you recommended.

I REALLY appreciate all of the help ladies. I check the thread regularly so feel free to keep it coming!

~ Denise
Where in AC Moore were you looking for the blending stumps? I found mine in the art section, not the craft section. The pencils were in another part of the art section, not where the stumps were. In Michaels they should be in the same section (art) as the pencils. In fact, in mine they were on the same aisle.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 12:44 PM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
teacher4416......You can purchase the stumps at both AC Moore and Michaels in the Fine Arts Department. They are not in the Paper Crafting isles.

Patti
I was told that at some point but could not find them in that section at the AC Moore I went to...there is another one I'll try tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #33  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClownmomView Post
Where in AC Moore were you looking for the blending stumps? I found mine in the art section, not the craft section. The pencils were in another part of the art section, not where the stumps were. In Michaels they should be in the same section (art) as the pencils. In fact, in mine they were on the same aisle.

They do not carry these pencils at the AC Moore I went to. Michales did, but no blending stumps that I saw. Thruthfully, I didn't look very hard for them at Michaels as so many people recommended the ones from AC Moore. The stores are less than a mile from each other so it wasn't a big deal to head oevr to ACM. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to Julie1

You could also try the colorless blending pencil too, you can get it in the open stock pencils at Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Aaron Brothers. Don't have AC Moore here but I imagine if they have open stock pencils than they would have the blending pencil too. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

teacher4416.....I found the stumps at AC Moore near the paint brushes. There aren't a lot of packages to choose from of the stumps, but that's where I found them.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Default aauber bottles

Where do you find the dauber bottles to use with the Gamsol?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #37  
Forum Fanatic

I second the idea to try other colored pencils. I honestly don't see a difference once you blend with the Baby Oil or OMS or whatever. They do color differently at first (the Prismas are softer so they go on a little more easily), but the difference disappears (to me) once you blend. I use the cheapie Crayola or whatever's on sale first, and supplement with the Prisma when there's a certain color I want.
I also notice a residue on top of the paper, no matter what I use, but especially with SU WW paper. I find the deepest color comes with using watercolor paper.
I use Stazon with no problem usually, so I'm not sure why you'd be getting smearing. Anything else does smear for me, even so called "waterproof" inks.
HTH!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #38  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacher4416View Post

~ Denise
Hi Denise

The Zest-It that I use is on EBay at the moment and for the smallest bottle (50ml) auction number 380041926823

The sellers are really helpful and ship worldwide. This should be fine for you - I have asthma and can't use MS items and I'm fine with this:

"a natural solvent made from pure food grade ingredients, which has a neutral pH value and contains no CFC's or Aromatics (Citrus Oil and Hydrocarbons). It is a clear liquid which has a pleasant 'citrus' smell and is inherently biodegradable (it evaporates without leaving any residue)"

http://www.zest-it.com/zest-it.htm will give you all the info about the product.

HTH

Caz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Just saw this thread. Aaron Brothers is having a Fall Art Sale and one of the items on sale for 50% off are Prismacolor sets. I am not an artist and was going to buy a set. I told the salesgirl I was going to use the pencils for mostly skin tones and she recommended a 24-pencil set, 'Portrait Set'. Regular price $33.99, I paid $16.99. Maybe this is expensive but the set has quite a array of colors from white, cream, peach, dark brown, dark umber terra cotta and tuscan red. I mostly make cards and I think that I can now color in people's skin tones and animal colors also. The sale is going on until Aug 30.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

are they online?
Reply With Quote Likes