Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:57 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Prisma Color pencils

I have seen many cards made using the prisma color pencils and gamasol. I already have the SU watercolor crayons, but the pencils seem to be a crisper look. Which do people like better? And can you get the pencils, gamasol and blending stump at Michael's, Joanns or AC Moore or do you have to get them from an online vendor? Thanks for any info! I appreciate the help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am pretty new to coloring and stamping, but read so many great reviews about Prismacolor that I bought a set of 36 at Michaels. I had a 50% coupon, so they were about $25.

I have just used them alone with great results, but got some Mona Lisa odorless mineral spirits and some blending stumps at Hobby Lobby to try the blending technique. Haven't done that yet.

The pencils themselves are wonderful and easy to use. I have found the set of 36 has most of the colors I need. I did purchase a couple of colors individually last week, a cool gray and soft lavender.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill Dumas
I have seen many cards made using the prisma color pencils and gamasol. I already have the SU watercolor crayons, but the pencils seem to be a crisper look. Which do people like better? And can you get the pencils, gamasol and blending stump at Michael's, Joanns or AC Moore or do you have to get them from an online vendor? Thanks for any info! I appreciate the help.
You can get them at all of the retailers you mentioned as well as online. I personally like the look of the prismas and gamsol more than the watercolor crayons. I have never figured out whether or not gamsol is scrapbook safe, so I have not used this technique there at all. Since I scrap more than I make cards, mine don't get as much use as I thought they would. I have done a page using the SU watercolor crayons to color in the stamps I used, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 124 Likes on 110 Posts

Bear in mind that Gamsol is simply a brand name for 100% odorless mineral spirits. (Think of it like someone calling all disposable paper tissues "Kleenex".) It's difficult to find the Gamsol brand name at stores such as Michael's and JoAnn's. I haven't tried the Gamsol brand personally. From what I've seen and heard over the last 4 years, the Mona Lisa brand by Houston Arts works just as well, and the Mona Lisa is fairly easily found at the big box stores. An 8-oz. bottle costs about $3.00 or $4.00 and will last you a very long time.

There are different blending stumps, too. There are rolled paper ones called tortillons, and pressed paper ones called stumps. I prefer the pressed stumps. Some people here at SCS swear by the ones made in Taiwan, and others like the ones made in China. I've found that the tips of the ones made in China aren't as soft and don't get "smushy" as easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2007, 02:15 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VA

There are different blending stumps, too. There are rolled paper ones called tortillons, and pressed paper ones called stumps. I prefer the pressed stumps. Some people here at SCS swear by the ones made in Taiwan, and others like the ones made in China. I've found that the tips of the ones made in China aren't as soft and don't get "smushy" as easily.
What a lot of knowledge there is here! And thank goodness for that. I saw a pack called "tortillons" and had no idea if they were something entirely different than stumps.

At this rate I shall move from Dork Level I to Dork Level II in watercoloring in no time at all.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up

Thanks for your tips, PH in VA!

I use an odourless mineral spirits bottle from Colours, which I bought at the local arts' supply store.

Also, Prisma is just one company which makes coloured pencils (not the same as pencil crayons). There are other reputable, long-standing arts companies out there. I'd suggest heading to your arts supply store if you have one nearby. I use my friends coloured pencils; Bruynzeel Colouring Pencils.

Oh, and odourless mineral spirits are used to break down the colour and to blend it well.

Oh, and just in case anyone's looking for a tutorial...there's one here, on SCS, in the resources sections (up top..right hand side):And here are a couple more:

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I purchased my supplies at Hobby Lobby. They did not have MS, so I purchased mine a the local mega mart. It will more than likely be handed down to the grandkids when I pass. I'm only in my late 40's

The problem I have is the tips break off when I sharpen them. For the price you pay, you don't want to waste any! The tortillons are good for getting into little spaces. But the color you get is so vibrant!
Now that I've rambled you don't know anymore than you did before. I'm going back to Jack now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Question Prismacolor pencils

Just wondered where you all have purchased your Prismacolor pencils, gamsol and blending stumps. I am ready to take the plunge!
I'd love to find a set of 120 at M's or HL ... do they carry these sets?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #9  
Band Mom

I bought everything at Michael's - the stumps, the odorless mineral spirits, and the pencils. They do carry the Prismacolor set of 120 pencils, which is a great item to buy with their 40% or 50% off coupons. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I bought everything at Michael's - the stumps, the odorless mineral spirits, and the pencils. They do carry the Prismacolor set of 120 pencils, which is a great item to buy with their 40% or 50% off coupons. ;)
Oh! So good to know! How much does a set of 120 pencils cost at M's?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #11  
Band Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by seewah
Oh! So good to know! How much does a set of 120 pencils cost at M's?
I think it's around $145.00. I don't remember exactly because I bought mine with a 50% off coupon almost 3 years ago. They are definitely not inexpensive... but they're worth it.

One more thing about M's. It can be tricky finding the odorless mineral spirits there. It took me two trips there before I found it on the aisle across from the artist-quality paintbrushes. Look for it in smallish flask-shaped bottles. They carry the Houston Art Mona Lisa brand in white opaque bottles (the label on mine has Mona Lisa's picture and says "Houston Art Mona Lisa Artist Odorless Paint Thinner", and on the back it lists the contents as "100% odorless mineral spirits"). You may also be able to find the Winsor & Newton brand in clear bottles (I think they're glass but they could be plastic). You probably won't be able to find the Gamsol brand there. A little OMS goes a long way, so especially just for starting out trying the technique, an 8-oz. bottle should be plenty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

You can easily find the 120 piece set on Ebay for $60.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

So which ones do you like? The ones made in China or the ones made in Taiwan? I am heading out to M's and HL tonight and wanted your opinion.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #14  
Band Mom

Quote:

So which ones do you like? The ones made in China or the ones made in Taiwan? I am heading out to M's and HL tonight and wanted your opinion.

Thanks!
I hope this isn't too late. I personally prefer the firmer ones from China. Oh, and the stumps should be hanging up near the Prismacolor pencils in the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I like the ones from Tawain a little better. They ssem softer but both work well. Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by its_kristy
You can easily find the 120 piece set on Ebay for $60.
That is where I got mine and the price I paid.

As far as gamsol and stumps - I buy mine from www.inkyantics.com . I use gamsol, stumps and prismacolor pencils on so many of my cards - I just love the look - also the colors don't smear after you use this technique. The gamsol also does not cause the SU! black ink to thread - like some other products do.

I bought a pack of 24 colors to start - but it just wasn't enough for me - I needed all 120 - to match all the different pattern papers I own. There are plenty of prisma to SU! color match charts on SCS - which is nice.

As far of brands of stumps - I like having both types - they move the color differently. I would start with the ones made in Taiwan - but definitely get ones from China - so that you can see "feel" the difference. Both packs are cheap enough - that you aren't wasting money to try them out. Plus you will find it is better to have more stumps then trying to "buff" them everytime you need a new color family.
Good luck - it is really a great way to color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all your help on this, ladies!

I went to M's tonight and picked up some Mona Lisa odorless mineral spirits, some blending stumps (these are from China), a white eraser, and a sanding block (for sanding the stumps).

I still need to purchase some sort of dispenser/container for the gamsol. Any suggestions?

Oh, yeah ... and I guess I should order some Prismacolor pencils! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #18  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok - this will sound silly but - What is the difference between prisma pencils and watercolour pencils? Between prisma pencils and the regular coloured pencils you would buy your kids as standard school supplies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone
Ok - this will sound silly but - What is the difference between prisma pencils and watercolour pencils? Between prisma pencils and the regular coloured pencils you would buy your kids as standard school supplies?
Prismacolors are a brand of coloured pencil, not a watercolour pencil. There are 2 grades of prismacolours that I am aware of...a basic one (which are somewhat better than your standard Laurentian school supply pencils) and a premium grade (which are softer, produce much more vivid colours and are available in many many different shades). From what artists I've talked to have said, go for the best...you get what you pay for! HTH!

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eyelet..."
Gallery & Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #20  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Thanks for all your help on this, ladies!

I went to M's tonight and picked up some Mona Lisa odorless mineral spirits, some blending stumps (these are from China), a white eraser, and a sanding block (for sanding the stumps).

I still need to purchase some sort of dispenser/container for the gamsol. Any suggestions?

Oh, yeah ... and I guess I should order some Prismacolor pencils! LOL!
I put a round sponge in an empty L'Oreal Revitalift jar and poured in the the Gamsol. You're only supposed to get the stump damp -- not dunk it. So the sponge gives you enough to blend the color nicely.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Default prismas

Has anyone tried using baby oil instead of gamsol for blending the prismas? I've read several emails from different ones saying they have and that it works just great.

As for the blending stumps...I prefer ones from China. The tortillons do have a much finer point for small areas which is nice.

Looking for input and your experiences.

Thanks
Daisy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

In case anyone is interested, Fionna 51 has posted a wonderful chart listing the matches for prismacolor pencils/Stampin' Up's colors. Search the downloads for this awesome chart!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I use an eye dropper and cut squares of Warm and Natural. I read somewhere to use foam, but the W and N holds real well and does not spread on your tray.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy453
Has anyone tried using baby oil instead of gamsol for blending the prismas? I've read several emails from different ones saying they have and that it works just great.

As for the blending stumps...I prefer ones from China. The tortillons do have a much finer point for small areas which is nice.

Looking for input and your experiences.

Thanks
Daisy
I finally gave up trying to find Gamsol around here and bought some baby oil this week. I used it on several cards and loved how it blended. (And it smells nice, too.) I don't have experience with Gamsol to compare it with, but it really moved the color very nicely. I used a tortillion to do the blending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

I like the baby oil too---have also used the odorless mineral oil & I don't really have a preference. The paper you use also makes a difference---the best paper I have found is by Georgia Pacific cardstock available at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2007, 01:02 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wystampgirl
......The problem I have is the tips break......
You know, that was the reason I started buying Prismacolors, long before I even found SCS. When I was new to stamping, I used Crayola pencils to color (no mineral spirits). I was constantly buying a new pack just for the once pencil that had to be sharpened to a nub. I've read this is because the pencils were dropped at some point and are broken inside of the wood. The really good thing about Prismacolors is that you can buy the individual pencils at good art stores. When I bought my box, I only had trouble with 2 or 3 pencils. Sorry to hear you're having problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mungojerry
You know, that was the reason I started buying Prismacolors, long before I even found SCS. When I was new to stamping, I used Crayola pencils to color (no mineral spirits). I was constantly buying a new pack just for the once pencil that had to be sharpened to a nub. I've read this is because the pencils were dropped at some point and are broken inside of the wood. The really good thing about Prismacolors is that you can buy the individual pencils at good art stores. When I bought my box, I only had trouble with 2 or 3 pencils. Sorry to hear you're having problems.
You can buy them individually at Hobby Lobby too, by the art supplies. Like some others, I bought a set of 120 on ebay for $60 a few years ago. Prior to that I used (and actually still have and use when I'm too lazy to drag out the big box) a set of 12 that I got when I was in design school in the 90's for rendering.

If you want alternatives to gamsol, Prismacolors sells a blender pencil (by the individual ones at HL) that works quite well. Not the same effect as Gamsol, but it evens out the color nicely. Also, back in design school we would use a wadded up Kleenex (to a small point almost the size of a qtip) and would use that to blend everything!

I purchased my stumps and gamsol on the Inky Antics website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

I tried tortillians for mine... and they just don't blend the same. I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow to grab some different ones to try. As for the Prismacolor pencils... I've been using them for years (had an old set of 24 that I finally used up) so I bought a new set of 72 at Michael's the other day. All Prismacolor items were already on sale for 50% off... so the set which normally sold for $100 was only $50!!!!! Woo hoo! ;0)
Reply With Quote Likes