Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Playbaby
Default Paper stuck in intricate dies

So very frustrated��. Not for the first time I have used intricate dis only to have the paper stuck, and I mean STUCK, in the die. Using a pokey tool only results in poking a hole in the paper I am trying to remove. This is a memory box die (the other die I had issues with was also MB). Yes, I have tried using waxed paper, I have tried using dryer sheets, I have used regular cutting plates, I have tried metal shims, I have used the precision plate, I have tried linen card stock, thin paper, thick paper...I even stuck the #*@*” thing in the freezer...I don’t know what else to do! To make matters worse, the last time I had this problem it was a borrowed die...worked the first few times I used it and then the problems began. Have I somehow ruined my friend’s die...and if so, what did I do wrong and can I fix it. I am NOT a newbie but I am starting to think I am cursed! I can’t seem to find a solution....HELP, PLEASE!

Last edited by Playbaby; 04-03-2018 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: spelling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't think of anything else you can do. It sounds like that die just wont work. And WOW you broke a die!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Yeah, thanks...I�m talented like that😏.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

years ago someone suggested to me rubbing canning wax on the die before using it. Have you used the pick to try and lift the paper along the edge to grab hold of it? Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Haven�t tried canning wax...

As far as prying it out, I can finally dig and pull the paper out. It�s just that it is completely out of shape and unusable and probably torn at that point. How I managed to ruin a die, I have no clue...sigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I had one smallish skinny frame die like that, emailed the company, and the owner said she bet I had a defective die. She sent me just that one from the set and it worked perfectly. Just a thought.

I use release paper - not wax paper - for really fussy dies. It's never let me down except for that one die. So it may not help in your case. A Cherry on Top: The World's Largest Selection of Craft Supplies

It's kind of fun because you get a "ghostly" die cut from the this paper too that has some printing on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,925 Likes on 2,192 Posts

Have you tried using the wax paper or dryer sheets first without paper or cardstock? That might "lubricate" the die first, then try cutting with the wax paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2018, 04:50 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Do you have one of those brushes that are designed to use with dies? They have very stiff bristles. Can you soak it in water and scrub it with a used toothbrush or nail brush? I don't know if the die will rust or not, so I'm not sure if that will work. It's the only other thing I can think of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 01:05 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlaybabyView Post
Yeah, thanks...I�m talented like that😏.

Well at least you can still have a sense of humor. I use Zutter Tool-it-All to get those pieces out. I started with a needle. Swear to God. And I still keep it handy. Then Spellbinders created Tool n One and then you got the others like Zutter and Sizzix copying. But I prefer the Zutter and have used them all.
I think your problem lies with the die itself and I would call Memory Box and let them know about this. Try what everyone else is telling you especially the wax paper. That made a huge difference for me before the picking tools came out. But since the Sizzix magnetic platform was in my hands, it has worked like magic. Some dies still need a little help with the "picker". The paper just gets stuck. For those really in there, I resort to my trusty needle and lift a corner and go easy.
Try to get MB to be accountable. And also get a replacement for your friend.....soon to be your ex-buddy lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I call defective if it's that difficult. I've had one that was. No matter how careful I was, the CS warped when I removed it. It was just a little skinny frame. The company owner immediately guessed it was defective, opened another set and tried that one die out, and shipped it to me. It was fine.

Fussy dies can take some work, but not to that extent.

BTW, heating rather than cooling might help, since heat expands metal and cold contracts it. BUT you don't want to start a fire or put it in a microwave, so just ignore that I said that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

A lot of people think paper dulls your scissors. It's not the paper, it's the paper dust. I periodically clean my scissors with alcohol. I also do this with problem dies. The alcohol evaporates quickly, so it will not damage the die (or your scissor blades). I either use a cotton swab or one of the small alcohol wipes. I also clean my paper trimmer blades this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Just so I understand-
You are ok with other dies-not intricate ones right?
And it is ALL your intricates? And this just started-you were ok before with them?

And this is happening with any kind of paper you try? Copy or CS? Like I am wondering if 65 or 80# would pop easier than 110 #?

Cuz some intricates are obnoxious imho.

Maybe if you use something that has a rounded head vs the pointed edge the cut might survive better-there are stylus heads that are that small...or the eye side of a needle...
Some dies come with this thin foam that I think you cut it with first and it stays in there forever-Cottage Cutz?..maybe if you have some of the shipping thin foam you could try that?

Or...what happens if you leave the cut in the die and then try to cut again? Most dies say they can can cut more than one layer. The second cut may just pop out?

Of course this isnt right but the point is to get them to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I had one smallish skinny frame die like that, emailed the company, and the owner said she bet I had a defective die. She sent me just that one from the set and it worked perfectly. Just a thought.

I use release paper - not wax paper - for really fussy dies. It's never let me down except for that one die. So it may not help in your case. A Cherry on Top: The World's Largest Selection of Craft Supplies

It's kind of fun because you get a "ghostly" die cut from the this paper too that has some printing on it.

I've started using that same release paper on my intricate dies and cannot believe the difference it makes. I had one of the chinese dies that I could not get the diecut to come out of without chewing it all to heck; tried the release paper and no more problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I've started using that same release paper on my intricate dies and cannot believe the difference it makes. I had one of the chinese dies that I could not get the diecut to come out of without chewing it all to heck; tried the release paper and no more problems.

I'm glad it helps!

One reason I wondered if my little frame die was defective was because the release paper didn't help. Thankfully the owner was on it like lint on an old suit. I really should mention the company name since the customer service was so outstanding. (Another time I got a duplicate of a stamp in one of their stamp sets and another was missing, and she sent me the correct one the day I told her.) But I'm blanking so will later.

By the way, I have fewer problems with CS sticking in dies with the Gemini Junior than with a manual machine. That *may* be because pressure is more even and unusual sandwiches with partial shims aren't used - which can exert more pressure in certain areas and not others. Just a guess.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 04-05-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2018, 04:04 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I dust mine with my embossing buddy before I run it through. Works like a charm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2018, 06:40 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

This might sound kind of weird, but I've heard some people say you can put a tiny bit of cooking spray on it. I know this could potentially stain the paper, but if you rub it off really well beforehand, maybe that could work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2018, 02:23 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to suggest wax paper too as that's what works most times for me but I see you've not had success with that.

The thing is, although you've had some great suggestions here, we really shouldn't be having to do all these things to get a die to work - THEY SHOULD JUST WORK!

I had some really stubborn spellbinders ones like that in a row and as a result very rarely buy them anymore.

I would contact the company and tell them that you've tried everything suggested to you by your Splitcoast buddies and nothing works, if they're a half decent company they should offer a replacement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Usually if I have an intricate die I stick a piece of packing tape to the inside of the die and cut it with my cuttlebug. It takes some time to pick out the tape that is not in the die but once that is done the tape will stay in there and act like a release paper. If the die cut is really hard to get out I also use release paper from Ecstasy Crafts. (it's Canadian but they have a US outlet)
Reply With Quote Likes