Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Old paper trimmer

I have the old paper trimmer from Stampin Up. They don’t carry the cutting blades that are compatible with it. What do you with your old trimmer? I hate to just to throw it out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
heylookatme (01-22-2024)
Old 01-05-2021, 07:29 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Use it for scoring if that blade still works?  Maybe see if someone has a blade they would sell you?  I converted to the guillotine type cutters years ago but kept my very first Fiskars and still sometimes grab it when nothing else is doing what I want.  Which is usually operator error and not the trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Debby Cole (12-04-2023)
Old 01-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
Use it for scoring if that blade still works? Maybe see if someone has a blade they would sell you? I converted to the guillotine type cutters years ago but kept my very first Fiskars and still sometimes grab it when nothing else is doing what I want. Which is usually operator error and not the trimmer.
My favorite trimmer is an ancient Fiskars paper cutter. It has a rotary style blade, is easy to operate and cuts straight. It doesn't take up much space and I often use it on my lap (not recommended). I dread the day that I use up my extra blades and can't find anymore.

I also have a costly Cutterpillar Pro that I'm not fond of. It takes up too much space and, for some reason, it doesn't cut consistently. However, I do love that it has a backlight that shines through printed paper. Still, I will likely let it go very soon since I'm working on paring down supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl38View Post
I have the old paper trimmer from Stampin Up. They don’t carry the cutting blades that are compatible with it. What do you with your old trimmer? I hate to just to throw it out.
I have long stressed about using the items that I've paid good money for. This year, I'm taking a different approach. I've given myself permission to toss all those things that make me feel bad about my purchases. Stuff that was costly but disappointing in its use; stuff that companies no longer support; etc.

I know that SCS has a huge Stampin Up following so I will likely get shamed for this next statement . . . I make it a point to avoid all things Stampin Up, unless it's a lovely must-have stamp set that I can use again and again.

Most of their items are overpriced. And I truly hate the idea of in-colors, out-colors, retired colors, etc. It's all a ploy to keep people buying entire new sets (paper, ribbon, ink pads, markers). I recently culled my SU ink pad collection in half, keeping only those that coordinate with my Copic markers. In truth, I could probably dump them as well since I use Memento pads for images and usually stamp my sentiments in black VersaFine ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
heylookatme (01-22-2024)
Old 01-05-2021, 12:13 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I have long stressed about using the items that I've paid good money for. This year, I'm taking a different approach. I've given myself permission to toss all those things that make me feel bad about my purchases. Stuff that was costly but disappointing in its use; stuff that companies no longer support; etc.

I know that SCS has a huge Stampin Up following so I will likely get shamed for this next statement . . . I make it a point to avoid all things Stampin Up, unless it's a lovely must-have stamp set that I can use again and again.

Most of their items are overpriced. And I truly hate the idea of in-colors, out-colors, retired colors, etc. It's all a ploy to keep people buying entire new sets (paper, ribbon, ink pads, markers). I recently culled my SU ink pad collection in half, keeping only those that coordinate with my Copic markers. In truth, I could probably dump them as well since I use Memento pads for images and usually stamp my sentiments in black VersaFine ink.
That is how I feel about their products too. I only have a small amount of stuff from them. Can’t afford many or I should say all of it. I’m on a fixed income so I can’t afford to get everything they put a “hype” on. Lately, I’ve been using more of my stash and getting creative in what I can do with it. I just hate to toss it just the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2021, 06:00 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts
Money Saver

Quote:

This. If something isn't usable anymore, it's time to get rid of it. The plastic is recyclable, so there's something to mitigate the pain of throwing it away. I know we crafters like to hold onto things forever, but it's OK to let them go when we need to. The thing that bothers me about this one is that it would probably work just fine if the company hadn't changed trimmers so quickly without providing replacement blades for the many, many people who invested in their expensive product. I feel the same way about re-inkers for the "In" Colors. .I haven't bought an SU product in years, and I don't plan to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't buy from SU either. Once in a great while I get some designer paper, but their stuff is expensive, and I really can't afford the shipping. I've hated their inks ever since they changed the style, the ones before the new ones, and the new ones. I finally gave them all away. I give stuff to the church store quite often & they love getting craft stuff.
I do have a question though. I use guillotine trimmers most of the time, but I'd like to have a rotary trimmer again. Every time I find one it says it's backordered. Fiskers has been BO for many months. Is there a reason for this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2021, 05:12 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

I really have no idea. Have you tried contacting the company?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
Every time I find one it says it's backordered. Fiskers has been BO for many months. Is there a reason for this?
I don't know for sure, but I can make an educated guess: Covid-19

Here in the US we rely a LOT on China imports. I think a huge chunk of our crafting supplies are manufactured in China, even if the company name is American or Australian or European. I believe manufacturing took a big hit in China, either due to reduced worker availability or possibly for fear of further spreading the virus. Here in the US, many companies considered "non-essential" were temporarily shut down.

It is my understanding that China production is back in full swing and exportation of Chinese goods is growing by leaps and bounds Just think of all those medical supplies our countries import from China!

Yet, at the same time, China's shipping companies (like our US post offices) have suffered a worker shortage due to the virus. Some countries, including Australia, put limitations on ocean freight coming into their ports from China. Lots of little things have added up to one big import/export fiasco.

On top of all that, as mom & pop shops see a reduction in purchases, they have less money to use for their orders and without local shoppers, they have less reason to fill their shelves with goods.

Again, this is just a guess. But for now, I won't 't hold our local retailers at fault for the backlog or shortages of crafting supplies.

Last edited by melissa59; 01-08-2021 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2021, 05:33 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't blame them. I understand about covid causing problems. I just wondered about rotary trimmers. Thank you for the information though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Stampin Up does not make their tools...never have. So maybe you can do an online search and find one that is like yours to find the actual manufacturer. They may still be making the blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2021, 07:13 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

I agree 100%. I'm finding I rarely use all my SU colored inks. I decided to toss the dry ones and keep the rest and toss those as they dry up/don't have any refills. However, the longer it goes, the more I realize I hardly even touch them... may have to do some thinking on that point.
Anyway, what I have been doing -- literally -- is saying out loud 'this is mine, I am under no obligation to keep it' whenever I am hesitating but know I'm not using something (for whatever reason). And guess what, I haven't missed anything yet! Some of my questionable quality items, paper scraps, stuff like that: I just toss!! I say 'this is mine, I can do whatever I want with it. even throw it away'... it sounds goofy but saying it out loud actually helps my resolve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2021, 07:36 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I just wanted to add that I gave away two boxes full of crafting stuff. A bunch of SU pads and the oversized stamp organizer, patterned paper, Fiskars stamp press, ribbon, stencils, wooden clock kit and a bunch more stuff.

It felt so good to get it packed up and out of the house. Even better, the person we gave it to was thrilled to have it. He said he kept some for himself, gave some to his sister and some to his girlfriend to for her grandkids to play with.

I'm a happy camper! And now I know who to call after I sort through my stamps. But first, I still have more paper to sort, store or donate. I ran out of space on my paper shelf and I promised myself I'd not have any crafting fun until all my craft items had a designated spot in my craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
heylookatme (01-22-2024)