Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cuttlebug?

I watched the presentation of a new Cuttlebug on HSN today...or I should say I watched the video since I missed the actual presentation. Anyway, I noticed that the machine comes with A and B plates - no C. Why is there no C plate? I see there's a size difference as far as the plates - the new plates seem to be bigger than the plates that came with the old Cuttlebug. Does this mean that I'd be able to use the Cuttlebug with my Big Shot dies and folders? I'm looking forward to hearing from all you knowledgeable people out there. As far as the C plates, I'm surprised they didn't address that issue in the sales presentation. I'd be surprised if I were the only person with that question.....but sometimes I miss the biggest things!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

The demo said it could be used with ALL dies you may already have or want to buy, from all companies.
I don't have one tho... so I can't promise she meant bigs xl!

anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they are trying to make is more simple to use.

I know that it's hard to find a "C" plate anywhere as a replacement one.

I've looked just about everywhere to find one.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I just looked at provocraft.com and there's nothing new there. They do have a catalog online which shows all their products, with stock numbers, and a store locator, so I suppose worst case scenario you could special order from a retailer.

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Hmmmm...just looked at hsn.com and the version 2 CB does NOT have a C plate. The plate size seems to be the same, and they do sell the long a, B and C plates at $19.95 each...YIKES ! Big investment to be able to buy even more expensive Sizzix dies. I haven't seen much that I'd want for the prices of the XL dies anyway.....or more precisely, that I could justify buying. Interesting tho, and I'm going back to look at hsn.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

We need the "C" plate to cut Nesties . How will people cut Nesties with the new CB using onlthe "B" plates?

Did they give a demonstration using Nesties on HSN?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Have they made it wider? The XL dies were too wide for my CB, length wasn't an issue.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

here's the link to the HSN page for the Version 2 Cuttlebug Cuttlebug Version 2 Die-Cut and Embossing Machine with Embossing Folders at HSN.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I just measured the plates for the Version 1 Cuttlebug, and they're 5 7/8" x 7 3/4". The plates advertised that come with the Version 2 are 6 x 7 3/4, so it looks like there's only about a 1/8" increase in width. For some reason I thought the Cuttlebug was a lot smaller than the Big Shot, but it isn't. But I'm still curious about the loss of the C plate. Have the sandwiches changed? Like someone said, you need that plate to cut Nesties. We certainly can't have a machine that doesn't cut Nesties! No, they didn't address that on HSN. I too looked at the Provocraft website, but there was no mention of a Version 2 of the Cuttlebug. Maybe this was a "launch" on HSN. It was for the new Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I watched the video. They are selling it as an embossing machine to use on shapes that were cut out on the Cricut.
The written description states it will work with most dies.

Provocraft has been focusing on their Cricut line.

I wonder if the "C" plates will be extra accessories with the new Cuttlebug.
That will be sale breaker. The "C" plates are very difficult to find.

The Cuttlebugs that were sold in the past year or so had a green Honeycomb "A" plates. Now the new one is back to having a white "A" plate.

The platform looks narrower and may cause the plates to break, because they have less support.
Hummm-m-m-m
Is our beloved Cuttlebug becoming the Step child of Provocraft?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
The "C" plates are very difficult to find.
They used to be but not so much anymore... I got one at my local Michael's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently got a "C" plate from Overstock:

Cuttlebug Thin Die Adapter/ Cutting Pad | Overstock.com

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

I really doubt that Provocraft is going to "shoot themselves in the foot" by producing a version of the Cuttlebug that will not cut Nesties and other dies. The Cuttlebug is the least expensive of all the machines and quite a few people buy them because of the price. They would lose that portion of their market if they did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I'm not trying to be argumentative with my comment. It seems to me that it would just be easier to just purchase the BIGkick or BigShot in a store where you can use a coupon. There really is not much difference in price between the BIGkick and Cuttlebug.

The BIGkick or BigShot can be used with ANY die on the market so there is no need for all the fuss to get the Cuttlebug to adapt.

Yes I did purchase the Cuttlebug many years ago. Then purchased the BIGkick as soon as it came out on the market. I no longer use the Cuttlebug since the BIGkick is so much easier with no fuss or muss.

Yes, I'm a fan of store purchase rather than via the internet when ever possible.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
We need the "C" plate to cut Nesties . How will people cut Nesties with the new CB using onlthe "B" plates?

Did they give a demonstration using Nesties on HSN?
You do?

I have never used my C plate. I tried using it with the Nesties and the sandwich was just too thick - the dies actually ended up being embedded into the plate.
I use two pieces of chipboard with 2 B plates. The chipboard is cut to match the size of the plates and works so much better. It makes the sandwich just snug enough to cut.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have to use the "C" to cut the nesties too....A plate B plate C plate..So this might be interesting...I have had my CB for about 3 years now I think. I broke the handle the other day but hubby fixed it for me. I do have a BS too though and when the CB breaks for good I will not be getting another one.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
You do?

I have never used my C plate. I tried using it with the Nesties and the sandwich was just too thick - the dies actually ended up being embedded into the plate.
I use two pieces of chipboard with 2 B plates. The chipboard is cut to match the size of the plates and works so much better. It makes the sandwich just snug enough to cut.
Hum-m-m-m I never tried this. This is good to know -Thanks

I never cut into my "C" plate. However, I bought an extra one last year when I saw them at Joanns and I used a coupon on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kempdView Post
I watched the presentation of a new Cuttlebug on HSN today...or I should say I watched the video since I missed the actual presentation. Anyway, I noticed that the machine comes with A and B plates - no C. Why is there no C plate? I see there's a size difference as far as the plates - the new plates seem to be bigger than the plates that came with the old Cuttlebug. Does this mean that I'd be able to use the Cuttlebug with my Big Shot dies and folders? I'm looking forward to hearing from all you knowledgeable people out there. As far as the C plates, I'm surprised they didn't address that issue in the sales presentation. I'd be surprised if I were the only person with that question.....but sometimes I miss the biggest things!!!
You can use the Sizzix dies/folders with your old Cuttlebug!! You just have to do the right sandwich.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I'm not trying to be argumentative with my comment. It seems to me that it would just be easier to just purchase the BIGkick or BigShot in a store where you can use a coupon. There really is not much difference in price between the BIGkick and Cuttlebug.

The BIGkick or BigShot can be used with ANY die on the market so there is no need for all the fuss to get the Cuttlebug to adapt.

Yes I did purchase the Cuttlebug many years ago. Then purchased the BIGkick as soon as it came out on the market. I no longer use the Cuttlebug since the BIGkick is so much easier with no fuss or muss.
I don't think anyone took your post as argumentative... I definitely didn't!

A lot of people buy the Cuttlebug because of it's portability. I have the Big Shot and I have only used it once and put in in a cupboard and haven't used it since... it takes up too much room on my desk and I actually prefer the Cuttlebug.

Every die machine on the market right now can be used with most dies... you just have to adjust the sandwich and this applies to any die machine. There are some exceptions (Grand Nesties and the ones designed for the 12" Big Shot Pro come to mind). Heck, you even have to adjust the sandwiches for differences in how tight the rollers are in the machines because that varies too!

I guess it just comes down to personal preference on which machine you are most comfortable with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Default i'm going to pass on this one

so I just watched the video and am not sold. I LOVE new toys, but seriously? what does this new one do that my original does not? and for $80? seems kinda steep. I think I got mine on sale at M's for $35 way back when, I still love it. Might be neat for someone that deosn't yet have a die cut machine and is concerned about space...i dunno.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I broke my C plate last weekend. My brand new Michael's had Cuttlebugs, A's and B's, but no C's. The manager said there wasn't even a place on the rack for them! And no new Cuttlebugs---only the old ones. Joann's has C plates on sale online this week. I'll have to do that instead. I don't need another machine that won't do everything I need!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

In order to use XL dies, i think you have to have the new long cb plates because the sizzix plates are just a hair too wide, unless you have them shaved down. I've always had my bug and have wanted a Big Shot because of some of the cooler big dies, but I just can't afford the new cb plates or to buy a new big shot. Anybody have a big shot for give away or sale cheap ? LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a little surprised that Provo Craft isn't following the trend and making a wider die cut machine - like the Spellbinders Grand Calibur or the Big Shot Pro - a manual machine that can cut up the 8.5" wide or 12x12 paper. I don't know that many people will buy a new CB just for that extra 1/8" or so. Maybe though? I guess that is what they are hoping for, which makes sense, but it makes more sense to just make it a little wider and compete with the new, bigger, machines. If they made a PORTABLE 8.5"w machine with the sides that flip up and everything, people would go nuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaparhamView Post
In order to use XL dies, i think you have to have the new long cb plates because the sizzix plates are just a hair too wide, unless you have them shaved down. I've always had my bug and have wanted a Big Shot because of some of the cooler big dies, but I just can't afford the new cb plates or to buy a new big shot. Anybody have a big shot for give away or sale cheap ? LOL
Sometimes you can find used ones on Ebay or on Craig's List or even on the B/S/T forum here at SCS. Just keep an eye out on the auction sites and you just might get lucky and find one at a price you can afford! The Big Kicks/Big Shots cost around $50-$60 at the stores with a 40%off/50%off coupon.

Edit: This one is a touch over $60 and you get the nice doctor's bag to go with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIZZIX-DOCTORS-B...item53e39ac446
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
I'm a little surprised that Provo Craft isn't following the trend and making a wider die cut machine - like the Spellbinders Grand Calibur or the Big Shot Pro - a manual machine that can cut up the 8.5" wide or 12x12 paper.
That's something that I would definitely be interested in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Nikki....that's for the bag only......eek !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Bigger isn't always better. Although it would be nice to be able to cut the 12x12 paper (but I have a Cricut Expression and can already do that), but so many people already like the Cuttlebug for the very reason that it's smaller. I have the Cricut Expression, the Big Shot and the Cuttlebug. Unless I'm doing a ton of cutting or need a design from a Cricut cartridge, I always grab my Cuttlebug. It's the smallest, lightest and takes up the least amount of space on my worktable than the others.

I'll be passing on this machine simply because I already have other machines that will do similar things. If I didn't have anything, I would think about it simply because the new design takes up even less space with the handle that tucks into the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I only have the Cuttlebug and Slice, so I was thinking of ordering the Grand Caliber from Nestibilities. My Cuttlebug is pretty old and well worn, so when it goes, I want something I can use for my Cuttlebug stuff and Nesties, and I figured the new Grand Caliber would fit the bill. It also has the bigger cutting area because of the Grand Dies, so it should grow with the times......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
Maybe they are trying to make is more simple to use.

I know that it's hard to find a "C" plate anywhere as a replacement one.

I've looked just about everywhere to find one.
Nancy, I got my C plate from Joann's, online. I purchased all the plates, so I spent 25$ and got free ship too!! Online Joann's has them. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
I only have the Cuttlebug and Slice, so I was thinking of ordering the Grand Caliber from Nestibilities. My Cuttlebug is pretty old and well worn, so when it goes, I want something I can use for my Cuttlebug stuff and Nesties, and I figured the new Grand Caliber would fit the bill. It also has the bigger cutting area because of the Grand Dies, so it should grow with the times......
You won't be able to use any Sizzix thick steel rule dies with the SB Grand Calibur - so if you have any of those, just be aware of that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I don't have any Sizzix dies. I do have a couple of Magnolia ones, not sure if they were made by them, and may have a Tim Holtz die, will that not work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaparhamView Post
Nikki....that's for the bag only......eek !
Oh crap! So sorry! I thought it was for both and thought "what a good deal" LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
I don't have any Sizzix dies. I do have a couple of Magnolia ones, not sure if they were made by them, and may have a Tim Holtz die, will that not work?
Tim Holtz dies are made by Sizzix. Is the Tim Holtz die you have THICK or thin like a cuttlebug die?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

I apologize for the delay in my response. It's a thin die. I thought Tim's dies, both thick and thin worked in the Cuttlebug?
I see what you mean about the Grand Caliber.... I went to Spellbinders site, and it's not compatible with all the other dies, not that I have any others, but just in case.... Thank you for bringing that to my attention. That would have been a big investment but limiting my use. What do you recommend? So far I've been happy with my two machines. I just need to get the longer plates for my Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes