Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nestabilities vs punches

Okay, all you enablers out there, I need your help. I'm trying to decide if I should start buying the nestabilities sets one at a time (of course I also need a die cut machine of some sort to begin with--lol) or should I buy the punches one at a time. Any suggestions/helpful comments/pros vs cons/etc. would be greatly appreciated. I tried doing a search but ended up confusing myself. A million thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, even though the punches are VERY quick and easy to use, really just grab & go, that doesn't nearly make up for the fact that they are BULKY. The Nestabilities are SO compact. I can fit 2 sets in one cd case. (By two sets I mean like the Small and Large Scalloped Ovals, or the Small and Large Plain ovals, etc.)

Plus, try imagining that your punches average out to a price of $15 each. Obviously, some will be more, some will be less than that. So to get 6 different sized scalloped ovals (assuming they make that many), you'd be spending around $90 (keep in mind, math is NOT my strong suit, lol!), and you still don't have the embossing features...

<sigh> I know it's definitely easier to just grab a punch. I just don't have the space or money to buy and store that many punches...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I really like the punches...really faster but you need a bazillion to have all the sizes that the Nestabilities has. So, I bought the Wizard machine and all the Nestabilities in one purchase to save money. Still pricey but sure beat what the cost of all those punches would have cost even with all the Michaels and Joann coupons! It would have taken me forever to get them that way, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

HI! I have the punches for most shapes but agree with the storage space. I have two over the door shoe holders that are already FULL with punches. I just purchased two of the nestabilities for the paisley...regular and scalloped. I bought them through cut at home. If you register on her website she'll send you a 40% off coupon on the first of each month. So I got the scalloped paisleys in December for $21 including tax and shipping and the regular paisleys in January for the same price. Perhaps order the paisleys (since they don't make paisley punches) and see if you like them. That way if you decide to go with punches after all you haven't wasted your money. Here's the website...

http://www.ucutathome.com/shop/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I think the above quoted math is wrong for the scallop punches, the prices vary with the size. I think the prices are about 6.99-8.99-10.99- etc, etc. I love the punches for ease of use (pick up, insert paper and squeeze vs get machine down, get mats etc out, get dies out, insert paper, then do it all in reverse). You certainly can't argue the storage point though, and if the pastel colors of the punches don't match your decor, well then... easy choice!!
Personally, as mostly a card maker, I do not need any of the larger sizes of the nestabilities~ that means I only need 3 of each of the punches to compare prices. And if you don't have a machine you have to add that into the equation.

It's not easy to make the comparison. I just ordered a set of the small scalloped rectangles to try them for fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Besides solving storage issues you could also think about the fact that each nestabilitie has a dual purpose...to cut AND dry emboss! I love tools that have more than one use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Default Punches vs Nestabilities storage

I have almost all of the Marvy punches (giga/mega/extra jumbo/jumbo) in both plain and scalloped shapes. I have them stored in a cabinet in my spare bedroom and they take a lot of space. There have been some clever ways to store them posted here on SCS, but I don't have a dedicated stamping area so I have to make use of space where I can find it.

On top of this cabinet is a small CD holder which holds almost all of the Nestability shapes. From a storage perspective, there's no comparison. The punches do give you a quick cutout, with the Nestabilities needing your die cut machine ready to go which really doesn't take very long.

While I love my punches, if the Nestabilities had been available at the same time, I would have opted for just the Nesties. One giga punch is around $20 and you can get one set (5-7) of shapes of Nestabilities for $25 (less sometimes on sale).
Attached Thumbnails
nestabilities vs punches-cabinet-punch-storage.jpg   nestabilities vs punches-nestability-storage-rack.jpg  

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I've convinced myself that I need both
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I have a grand total of 4 Marvy punches in all my Tools. And to be honest, I forgot I had them till I just cleaned out a drawer of my storage dresser. I use my Nestabilities ALL the Time. Which I have the complete collection of.

I vote for Nestabilities.
Kar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrelandView Post
A perfect solution!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrelandView Post
Ditto! But, I started with the Nestabilities and will work my way up to the punches! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I have some of the punches but have switched to the nestabilities as storage of punches has become a real issue for me.

I plan to get sell off all my punches. I also like the fact I get more sizes with the nesties and can cut and emboss!

My SCS Gallery
My Blog: Live Love Laugh and STAMP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon13View Post
I have some of the punches but have switched to the nestabilities as storage of punches has become a real issue for me.

I plan to get sell off all my punches. I also like the fact I get more sizes with the nesties and can cut and emboss!
Me too Shannon! I plan on selling my punches to make room for other goodies. I really love the nesties!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouInkItView Post
Ditto! But, I started with the Nestabilities and will work my way up to the punches! ;)
I started with punches and now have caught on to the nestibilities... selling things just isn't a strong suit of mine, so I'll keep it all!
The punches just can't be beat for convenience and quickness... but the nestibilities are so easy to store, and offer so many sizes.
I don't "do" scallops, so save a lot of money in punches and nestibilities by omitting those from my purchasing.

I'll probably think very hard before buying any more basic shape punches at least...

I also have the Coluzzle system and a jillion templates :rolleyes:

I use them all for different things~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you ladies for all of your wise input. It's greatly appreciated. I think I might have to go with the nestabilities b/c of the storage issue. I'd better start saving my pennies to get the diecut machine first Good thing AC Moore and Michaels have a 50% coupon now and again.
Reply With Quote Likes