Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nestabilities Measurements...boy do I have a question!!

I just bought my first nestabilities. I bought the Classic Rectangle. When I cut my rectangles and nested them....much to my surprise the frame on the sides of the rectangles are 1/4 inch and the frames on the top and bottom is 3/8 of an inch. I just assumed that I would wind up with a 1/4 inch frame all around. It looks funny to me and not what I thought 'nesting' was!!

Am I doing something wrong?

Help!!:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I am NOT sure about this but I'll give it a shot. I get mine monthly, 1 set at a time. There are about 5 or 6 pieces in it, right?

I think it turns out that we have to have all 4 rectangle sets in order to have them turn out with a more even border. By all 4 rectangle sets, I mean the big set that costs about $70 -$80 depending on where you get them. That way you can use pieces from all the sizes and they will have a more uniform border around them. Not sure I made myself clear.:confused:

Hopefully someone else knows how to explain it better.

I just went back and read you post again. There are Classic rectangles in both Large and Small. Maybe if you have BOTH sets, they "nest" better?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi Kitty14....no you made it perfectly clear, thanks. To be honest, even as I was writing my post I think somewhere in the back of my head I already knew that this was the answer. I'm a little disappointed in the way the product is put across. I love what you can do with them, but I wish I had understood better what you have to buy to get them to do what I thought they were going to do. KWIM? I can see that it's going to have to take out a second mortgage to get the job done!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Yep, I got caught on this one too. I thought I was going to be using them to 1/4 mat each of the smaller ones, but I will have to buy the other sizes to do that. I guess I didn't do the research this time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Yes, we are all meeting in that lake called "Disappointment!"

And it takes "forever" (sigh) to get all 4 sets when you're doing it monthly.:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

I must admit I was a dissapointed as well with mine.
I thought that I would have an even boarder as well.
Thanks for explaining.
Love Angie..xx..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, I'm glad I read this thread. Nestabilities are on my wishlist, and I assumed that I only needed to buy one set, not all four. Now I know to save more money to get the full set of four at one time, as it is cheaper to buy the set. I would never have thought that they had different border sizes. They just want to suck you in for so much money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just bought a cuttlebug and my first nesties over the holidays--I bought the large circles and the large squares. I was disappointed that the visible borders were 1/4" rather than the 1/8" I see on so many samples in the gallery. I have since learned that you have to buy the large and small sets in order to get the 1/8" reveal! Live and learn, gals! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Default Try this.....

I only have one set of matching rectangles and squares(e.g.- lg rectangle/lg scallop rectangle) and I use my paper cutter to cut the rectangle layer to go between rectangle and scallop rectangle layers that I cut with the nesties. (This way there is a 1/8" reveal.) Saves on paper and no one can tell that the middle layer is not cut with a nesties die. Hope this makes sense. Works for me!

Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Help me - I am ready to buy nesties... When nesting with any set, is there an "even" border around two pieces? I know that to get the 1/8 you have to have both large and small. Thanks.
Sally
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReddyiscoView Post
I just bought my first nestabilities. I bought the Classic Rectangle. When I cut my rectangles and nested them....much to my surprise the frame on the sides of the rectangles are 1/4 inch and the frames on the top and bottom is 3/8 of an inch. I just assumed that I would wind up with a 1/4 inch frame all around. It looks funny to me and not what I thought 'nesting' was!!

Am I doing something wrong?

Help!!:confused:
I think this particular problem is unique to the rectangles. I pulled mine out and compared them. I think the issue is with the scallops. To keep the same number and proportion of the scallops, they had to make the rectangles a little longer. So they made the plain rectangles a little longer so they would nest with the scalloped ones. It doesn't matter if you have both large and small, they will still be a little off on the length. I have been using mine for over a year and I honestly never noticed the difference, and I am usually pretty picky about things like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I have the scalloped circles and scalloped ovals with the matching plain circles/ovals. Does this mean that I can't make a nice matted pair with them??

You can tell I haven't tried them out yet....
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree that I think the "problem" with not even edges is with the rectangles only. I love my Nestabilities and have purchased them a bit at a time--and sometimes a whole set at a time. Creativeplaystamps.com has the sets of 4 on sale for $63.99 with free US shipping. That breaks down to about $16 a set which, in my opinion, is very reasonable. They are good people there and have great customer service!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I was dissapointed with the sizes on the nesties too. I was expecting the "standard" 1/8" border I had become accustom to using when layering, but found I would have to buy yet another set to get the effect I wanted.I do love having all the sizes available that I cannot get with punches but was bummed at having to purchase more and more and more.:::sigh::: I found this site which shows the effects of layering the different size ovals, hope it helps.
http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capt...llbinders_faq/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

I noticed this too with my rectangles set. But it only seems to be an issue with matching the straight rectangles with the scalloped ones. I think it's because to keep the number of scallops even on both sides, they had to compromise on the sizes. Since I'm pretty OCD about straight lines and even mats, this kind of bothered me, but I'm trying to let it go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkView Post
I was dissapointed with the sizes on the nesties too. I was expecting the "standard" 1/8" border I had become accustom to using when layering, but found I would have to buy yet another set to get the effect I wanted.I do love having all the sizes available that I cannot get with punches but was bummed at having to purchase more and more and more.:::sigh::: I found this site which shows the effects of layering the different size ovals, hope it helps.
http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capt...llbinders_faq/
Thanks for posting this link. It has some interesting things about nesties on it.
Reply With Quote Likes