Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2016, 04:07 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Misti - do I need blocks?

I think the answer is no but if I use the MISTI do I need acrylic blocks? And if my unmounted stamps do not have a cushion or sticky on them how do they stick to the MISTI?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 04:59 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I still use my blocks. Stamp elements that get 'sprinkled' here and there, or images that I'm stamping on a scrap and will cut out to add ... things like that.

As for sticking unmounted unsticky stamps to the lid, the easiest way I've found so far is to run a bit of tape runner to the stamp. It doesn't need a lot. Another goofy way, but it works for a lot of stamps ... in the version of the MISTI I received, there was a heavy plastic skin that was to be added to the cover to protect the etched grid pattern. I used that skin on the inside instead because it had just enough grab to hold many of my unmounted, unsticky stamps. (Sadly, I tried adding TackNPeal to the skin for a sure grab, and made a mess of both the skin and the TackNPeal.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 05:33 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Sprinkling is a great description - I agree - I still use them for that - just little stamps here and there etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I kept a handful of blocks, too. The 1" square ones get the most use - for "sprinkling", lol... I kept my 2 1/2" x 8" block for unmounted wheels, too, although they fit in the regular-size MISTI.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking the same thing as I moved my blocks yet again. Afraid to let them go as I may NEED them later But really the MISTI makes them obsolete. Here's a thought, if I get rid of the blocks do I have room for another MISTI?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I would keep the blocks. As others here have said, you will find uses for them, even if it's only to hold something flat while the glue dries! I also think it's just a good idea to add cushion to your unmounted stamps - it's not all that expensive and it will make your use of the stamps so much easier, which probably means you'll get more use out of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm probably in the minority but love my blocks:

- For putting 2-4 tiny stamps on block corners to be able to pepper the paper with either/any of the stamps.

- For a palette. When I put Distress ink, Gelato scribbles, or other medium onto my craft mat to pick up color, I inevitably get it on my hand/arm/the paper/something. Lately I've been putting the medium on a block, which can be moved to the side out of the way. In theory.

- For stamping images that don't need to be perfectly straight - like a wonky flower. Stamp plopped onto block, ink, bam.

- When applying different color inks/other media to the same stamp. I find it easier.

- For keeping my eye/brain/hand coordination tuned up - if for nothing else, for an event/class, where only blocks are available. But I like that practice.

- Fooling around. I spend lots of time stamping onto scrap paper, or to practice fussy embossing, whatever.

But for lining up images, geometric designs, or multiples, I don't usually grab my blocks. And wouldn't if I did complicated layered stamps.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I find myself using my blocks very little now but won't get rid of them "just in case". I use Tack N Peel mounted on a piece of cling vinyl for any bare rubber stamps I have. When using cling mounted stamps, the TnP goes back in a little file folder inside the case I keep my Misti in. Works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 01:30 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still need the blocks - what else would I use to smoosh ink onto to do watercolouring, or to make smooshed backgrounds... besides the small stamps etc. I never had many anyway -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 05:20 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Yep need those blocks when smooching backgrounds with distress inks. Sometimes use large blocks to mix watercolors and smooch a great background.
Harriettb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

blocks still have a purpose, but the MISTI is my main to go to stamping tool. Love the idea I can reink and stamp again. Blocks as said may be for a smooching card or where you stamp random and the MISTI would be to time consuming. i did get rid of a few blocks, but kept my better ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
I find myself using my blocks very little now but won't get rid of them "just in case". I use Tack N Peel mounted on a piece of cling vinyl for any bare rubber stamps I have. When using cling mounted stamps, the TnP goes back in a little file folder inside the case I keep my Misti in. Works great.
What is cling vinyl and where do you get it?

Many of my Stampin Up red rubber cling stamps don't stick any more. I have used SU Glue Stick on them, but that isn't great, either!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

The blocks are also useful for making backgrounds - inking them up, spritzing, and then pressing them onto the cardstock as in this SCS tutorial:

Stamped Acrylic Block Background Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by janesprandoView Post
What is cling vinyl and where do you get it?

Many of my Stampin Up red rubber cling stamps don't stick any more. I have used SU Glue Stick on them, but that isn't great, either!:p
This is cling vinyl. Before the Misti revered to being etched, a sheet of this used to come with it to protect the grid lines in the plastic. Some people also put a piece of this on their acrylic blocks to make them more "sticky" or I guess I should say "clingy".

https://www.amazon.com/Grafix-9-Inch.../dp/B002J6CO9I
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for the vinyl link, Leslie. I was wondering where to get it. Someone said you can also buy it from a fabric store too, if I recall?

I'm curious - how do acrylic blocks lose cling, other than if they need to be washed?

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 06:47 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Thanks for the vinyl link, Leslie. I was wondering where to get it. Someone said you can also buy it from a fabric store too, if I recall?

I'm curious - how do acrylic blocks lose cling, other than if they need to be washed?

Beth
From what I understand, the acrylic blocks, and the cling stamps as well, lose their cling when they get microscopic bits of body oils from our hands on them, even if our hands don't feel dirty or greasy, and they also collect dust particles from the air, especially in humidity. A good cleaning and air drying every few months will keep that at bay but some use the vinyl to avoid the cleaning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 06:52 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
From what I understand, the acrylic blocks, and the cling stamps as well, lose their cling when they get microscopic bits of body oils from our hands on them, even if our hands don't feel dirty or greasy, and they also collect dust particles from the air, especially in humidity. A good cleaning and air drying every few months will keep that at bay but some use the vinyl to avoid the cleaning.
That's what I thought, thank you. I use a drop of Dawn and warm water once in a blue moon if a block becomes balky.

Recently one of our cats was lying on top of a large block. That'll do it. (Maybe the message was, "Don't stamp! Hold me and massage my ears and head instead.")
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

As much as I like and use the Misti, I sometimes find my blocks easier, now that I have duplicates in some sizes.
I had years ago bought the whole SU acrylic block set. I have found for layered stamping, they are to dang thick and I wasn't getting accurate results. I decided to go buy blocks half as thick and I am really happy I did. I can see thru them better and not so heavy in the larger sizes. I got some duplicates of sizes I use at same time so I did t have to keep switching out.
The misti is invaluable for those solid clears that takes 4 times to get solid color. Probably using wrong ink formula.
Besides, if the misti breaks, need some blocks around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

A year ago I was not using and decorating a daily planner or Bible journaling but now that I am, I am glad I didn't get rid of my blocks. As wonderful as it is, you can't put a planner or Bible into the MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I would never get rid of my blocks as I use them a lot for "watercoloring" with ink and spritzer. I also like them for ease of cleaning the stamps. I use my MISTI when I know I am probably not going to get a good stamp the first time and will have to redo. I have some stamps that just don't absorb the ink so the image has to be stamped at least 3 times.
Reply With Quote Likes