Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2016, 12:55 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default MFT Die-namics Circle STAX 2 - confused

I have a few of the more recent My Favorite Things STAX die sets, but have just bought a basic circle STAX set which I assume has been around for longer.

When I opened the packaging, I was a bit bemused and confused to see the dies each attached to a circle of acetate! I peeled this off some of the dies to test them, and the glue ripped off bits of the grey coating on the dies or in other cases glooped up the die so it stuck to cardstock when I tried it out!

Basically, the questions I have are:

1) Were these dies intended to be left on the acetate when cutting, i.e. was it a storage solution?
2) How can I safely clean the gloopy nasty dried glue off the dies?
3) Can anyone reassure me somehow that these will end up working as well as my other MFT dies? LOL!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 07:52 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Totally puzzled as to why the dies would be mounted on circles of acetate, as though they were to be used that why...doesn't make sense to me.

Hold on, just had a thought. Maybe the plastic is there so that you can put a smaller or larger circle on the inside or outside, and center the circles to make a frame. If that was the intent, you would be able to use double sided tape between the two plastic covers to perfectly position the dies for a frame. This is the ONLY thing I can think of to explain the plastic circle backing.

Maybe someone who has this can come up with the real reason! Meanwhile, I say use them as they are. I can't believe that removing the plastic would affect how they cut in any way. Hope you find an answer to your question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Forgot to address you question about glue removal. Since they are metal and I always worry about rust, I avoid using water or water based products. My first choice would be lighter fluid (the stuff to refill lighters, available at Walmart, etc, near the checkout aisles).
Second choice would be Un-do. It works great but is harder to find.

Third choice would be goo-gone or wd-40.

I would not want to have the glue residue on the back of the dies, either. Hope you find something that works for this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a MFT die-namics set of rectangles and they came with the acetate as you describe. I bought them years ago when I was doing an Online Card Classes class, and Jennifer Mcquire was using them, so I bought them. She had left the acetate on hers, but said you could either leave it on or take it off. I've left mine on but never seen the point of it at all. I now buy most of my stacked dies from Spellbinders, so never had to think about the acetate issue again. But if someone out there knows the reason for selling them this way, I'd love to hear about it.

Edited to add:
I found this on the Ellen Hutson Site in the description of the banner stacks -

"STAX are hand-finished Die-namics produced with acetate backers in order to allow you the maximum value for your crafting dollars (the nesting arrangement results in savings of up to 75%). As they are hand-finished, they are subject to variances. Should you notice any glue residue, this can be easily removed using rubbing alcohol. The acetate backers are not necessary to ensure proper cutting."

I don't understand what is meant by the nesting arrangement resulting in savings of up to 75%. 75% of what? Money? You can nest any dies without acetate backers by just laying them on the cutting plate of your machine. So, I'm still in the dark. But they do say to use rubbing alcohol to remove glue residue. I'd try that first. It's the most innocuous thing.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 04-04-2016 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I don't understand what is meant by the nesting arrangement resulting in savings of up to 75%. 75% of what? Money? You can nest any dies without acetate backers by just laying them on the cutting plate of your machine. So, I'm still in the dark. But they do say to use rubbing alcohol to remove glue residue. I'd try that first. It's the most innocuous thing.
Here is my theory:
Back in "the day" Spellbinders was the only company that had open dies. I think it was a patent issue or something. Anyway, other companies had dies that were 'filled in" (like Papertrey Ink's earlier Mat Stack series). I think the acetate was MFT's genius workaround - the acetate "covered" the back of the die, but it was see-through for accurate placement and allowed for nesting. The $$ savings would be based on completely steel backed dies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I have several of the earlier My Favorite Things STAX die sets and I removed all the acetate from them. I didn't like using them with the acetate and am very glad they discontinued using it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks all, much appreciated. Good to get the intel, and not to be so confuzzled!

Reply With Quote Likes