Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Markers that won't break my budget

New here with card making and am trying to decide on markers, both water and alcohol types. Copics seem to be everyone's choice but my budget will not allow. I have watched ytube til my eyes are bugging...please help I choosing alternatives. Dont need 100 colors but something to allow coloring beyond basic colors. You are Crafters with alot of experience and I can trust your recommendations. Thank you in advance. Oh since you don't know my budget anything up to $50 I can handle.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would highly recommend this set of 72 markers from Amazon. I got a set for my 18 yo granddaughter who is a budding artist, and she loves them. They get good reviews from other customers, too, and come with a case.

Amazon.com: Bianyo Classic Series Alcohol-based Dual Tip Art Markers?Set of 72, Travel Case?

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I was just telling a friend what great, trusty companions my Tombow markers have been.

Also, I recently tried out the Arteza markers, which are very reasonable. I have a video here. Understand Blue: Coffee With Warhol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2018, 04:47 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

For water based markers, you can first try your school supply ones. They work for coloring directly on the stamp and then either spritz the stamp with water or huff on it and stamp.

I have been overall very happy with my Spectrum Noir alcohol markers. If you watch for sales, you can get a pack of 24 for about $20. They are not quite as good as copics, but way more affordable and Crafter’s Companion has been good about fixing any issues I had with the markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2018, 05:22 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

If you want inexpensive water-based markers that work great, the Crayola ones are hard to beat. As far as alcohol markers, I used Bic and Sharpie markers for several years before I invested in Spectrum Noir. I bought a handful of more expensive markers (in my case, Prismacolor) to fill in colors (pastels) to use with the Bics. You can do a lot with just a few, surprisingly.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Zeldaba, I've watched videos with someone doing marvelous things with Sharpies. I have a nice set I've probably used for 10 minutes. There's nothing wrong with them - I'm just not into coloring much, and have some Copics if I need to use markers. If you'd like them, I'd be glad to mail them to you. Just send me a PM with your name/address. I'll try to find the videos.

It's taken me a while to figure out what I like for applying color. : )

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 04-19-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a lot of Sharpies and like using them. The only problem is that most of the Sharpie colors are very bright and vivid. If you need true pastels, you will need to fill in with other brands of markers.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

In case you're interested, here's the first of a seven (?) part series of videos about Sharpie markers. If you go to youtube and search for "Sharpie Coloring Secrets" they should all pop up. The channel is Coloring Bliss. Some of the info she provides may work for other alcohol markers too. Very clear, easy-to-grasp instructions.

I thought the third video about blending had nice beginner hints about blending with 1, 2 or 3 markers. : ) #6 is about the chameleon effect, touching tip to tip and adding alcohol to a tip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=185s&v=INQDSKlrtI4

Last edited by bjeans; 04-19-2018 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

I built my Spectrum Noir set part by part over at Consumer Crafts. Scroll down and you see 6 packs for 8.97 or 24 packs for 25 and change. For that kind of marker-1 dollar and change each is about as good as it gets. They do do sales.

**Pay attention** to colors-some ONLY come in the 24 packs.

For watercolor, I also use Tombows. I like them because you can get sets or singles if you use particular colors a lot. I also have the Zigs. But keep in mind...you can use a water brush and some water based dye ink refills and paint so you might be able to do that already...like Distress for example. Also be careful with colors. I just bought 2 Tombow sets I didn't need because they said "new" sets! It was only a new arrangement of existing colors. You can get Tombows at Dick Blick art supply...and use a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Something else to consider: Lindsay Weirich (sp) aka, The Frugal Crafter, says all water-based markers will work across brand names and alcohol markers the same. The biggest difference would be the longevity. But the cheaper ones should allow you to see if you like that particular medium. She also does a lot of reviews you can watch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I have tried them all!!! The copics are just expensive and I found that I needed refills. Spectrums dried up :(
I finally went to Dick Blick and bought watercolor pencils. U can buy them individually!!! I picked out just the colors I needed/wanted!
They NEVER dry up! They were NOT expensive!! And I can try all different techniques!!!
LUV them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Spectrum Noir alcohol markers!!!!! All alcohol markers get dry over time, it’s the alcohol. But the refill inks are very very reasonably priced, so purchasing these in my opinion is a long term investment. Also if you set up an account with Crafter’s Companion you can purchase these at a reduced dollar price, and you earn reward points for free merchandise to boot!! AND, they have wonderful customer service.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2018, 02:46 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I recommend a couple things.
1) Start exploring ONE kind of marker first, and make that water based. The techniques are somewhat different, and water based can be MUCH more economical.
2) With watercolor markers, pick a school set that has a good array of colors. Remember that they are blendable, too. And to some degree you can darken colors with layers, and lighten colors with a blender pen. If you can't abide a school set, Marvy LaPlume sets are nice with a coupon at Joann's or Michael's. Michael's artist loft brush pen sets are good, too, but overpriced without a coupon.
3) Buy a blender pen. I have a Marvy LaPlume blender marker I got at Joann's. It works great. It can help you get much more out of your colors, because you can drag colors out of colored sections into lighter sections.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Sorry it took so long to thank all of you and your advice. Right after posting a family situation came up....requiring me to move from NM to TN. So I have been getting ready packing etc. That's my excuse...again thank you all. I did however see a demo of the spectrum markers and have started building up that set. I can't work with them but did fool around with the markers and DO really like them. Can't wait to sit down in my new home and really use them. Bon Voyage!!!
Reply With Quote Likes