Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Markers...Copic?

I'm new to SCS (I've actually looked at the galleries for a while but finally decided to join in the fun!) and use mostly SU products an a few items I buy from Archivers and Hobby Lobby. I have read about so many people using Copic markers. Can anyone explain the advantage of these type of markers, where I should look for them, colors you recommend, etc. Or if there is a different type of marker that you think works better, let me know, please! I'm looking to broaden my horizons
Thanks!!

~Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly, Leave the rest to God~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #2  
Glitter Queen

I'm interested in hearing about them as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Copics blend so beautifully......they are expensive. However, they are refillable and the tips can be replaced.

Purchasing, well Hobby Lobby and Archivers have some. You'll find a better assortment online.

If you're going to get into these look at the images you color, then decide on Copic colors. Paper--use either Neenah, Georgia Pacific, or the Stamping Up paper. Ink--Momento.

HTH,
Ginger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Your best bet would be to do a search in the forums for Copics. You'll have hours of reading and info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a thread full of info about Copics. It is a "Sticky" at the top of this forum:

Copic FAQ by ilikemarkers at Splitcoaststampers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you all so much for the info...it looks like I have lots of reading to do!!

~Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly, Leave the rest to God~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the copic "ciao" marker they are cheaper than SU markers and come in many more colors. The best prices I've found are on Oozak.com. When you place your first order, make sure you register and then you can get "member" pricing.
As far as colors to get....well, you will want them all, but I would start with colors you are drawn to and make sure you get a light, medium and dark tone in the colors you like. This will allow for the best blending.
Check out youtube for tutorials on how best to color with copics.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you NancyK for the info! I'll def. check out that website!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

There are a couple of different stamp companies that have some pre-packaged colors put in groupings that I find so helpful to know what colors I want I started taking classes at my LSS and was buying random colors to match what they were using for class that day. Now, I am filling in with the charts from Justritestampers and flourish. They are a big help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I'm NEW to using Copics and was curious if you wanted to start out and see how you liked them etc...would it pay to get like maybe a set of the primary colors ? I know you wouldn't be able to shade with them, but can you blend the two colors (i.e. yellow laid down, and blue over it, to make a green shade?) Wasn't sure if doing this might hurt the markers in some way...dunno ?? I got a LOT of reading to do also...any responses/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea..what kind of S-Up paper??? I have the whisper white is all...is that heavy (and/or smooth) enough? THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

JoAnney-I feel like I've read so much info about these markers! I've probably only tapped a 1/4 of the info out there though!
I decided that I couldn't make a true decision until I tried them out so I went ahead and ordered three markers (the same hue but shades lighter/darker to blend with) from Oozak.com...it was really easy to order them and they were really cheap (compared to other markers I've purchased) because I signed up to be a member (thanks NancyK!). It was $2.85 for each marker and $1.69 for the Momento ink pad (I read that is the only kind of ink that won't run when blending the markers.) Those prices don't include shipping but the product ships that same day if the order is placed before 3 pm. I'll report back on how they worked for me but I have a feeling that I'll be ordering more!
If your a SU product lover, there is a document I found on one of the FAQs that matchs up the SU colors to the Copic marker color. It has the old color families but the majority of the colors are still the same!
SUCopic matches 4.09.docx
PS...thank you to whomever took the time to make that list!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Theree are several brands of art markers which are alcohol based and all work the same way and can be used with each other.

They come in a variety of prices and color ranges.
Copic and Letraset Tria have the largest color range, I believe.

Shinhan Touch Twin, Letraset Promarkers and Dick Blick have about the same number of colors and are less expensive but don't have a brush tip and current marks are not refillable (Shinhan is coming out with a brush marker and a new line which is refillable and replaceable nibs sometime this summer).

I don't have any Prismacolor markers but they are popular also. I do think they smell a bit stronger from the ones I checked out at Michael's.

Everyone has their favorite brands and all have their pros and cons. They all work the same though, and i think it is important to learn techniques to using alcohol markers for coloring and blending in order to get the most out of them.

Be warned...markers are addictive!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmandaJaneView Post
JoAnney-I feel like I've read so much info about these markers! I've probably only tapped a 1/4 of the info out there though!
I decided that I couldn't make a true decision until I tried them out so I went ahead and ordered three markers (the same hue but shades lighter/darker to blend with) from Oozak.com...it was really easy to order them and they were really cheap (compared to other markers I've purchased) because I signed up to be a member (thanks NancyK!). It was $2.85 for each marker and $1.69 for the Momento ink pad (I read that is the only kind of ink that won't run when blending the markers.) Those prices don't include shipping but the product ships that same day if the order is placed before 3 pm. I'll report back on how they worked for me but I have a feeling that I'll be ordering more!
If your a SU product lover, there is a document I found on one of the FAQs that matchs up the SU colors to the Copic marker color. It has the old color families but the majority of the colors are still the same!
Attachment 214858
PS...thank you to whomever took the time to make that list!
Please DO keep me posted on how you like the copics...I think that's a great idea to order 3 shades really close in color so you can do the shading...MY problem is I don't know how to 'shade' very good though...:confused: I have watched TONS of videos, etc..but still just can't get the 'knack' for where the highlights and the shading go...there sure are some talented people out there that can do it though...I'm gonna need TONS of practice!!! Will check out the site you got yours from...did you get the Ciao? or Sketch ones may I ask?

Thanks also for the link to the S-Up/Copic color matching...that will be great to have as a reference also!! Have a great Easter! Take care...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I'm new to SCS (I've actually looked at the galleries for a while but finally decided to join in the fun!) and use mostly SU products an a few items I buy from Archivers and Hobby Lobby. I have read about so many people using Copic markers. Can anyone explain the advantage of these type of markers, where I should look for them, colors you recommend, etc. Or if there is a different type of marker that you think works better, let me know, please! I'm looking to broaden my horizons
Thanks!!
I have been on the fence for soooo long about these markers! But... Carpe Diem Store is having a sale on the sketch..so I ordered! I ordered the box of 36 ! It was around 138.00. Normally much more then that!

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY,LIVE FOR TODAY
HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnneyView Post
Please DO keep me posted on how you like the copics...I think that's a great idea to order 3 shades really close in color so you can do the shading...MY problem is I don't know how to 'shade' very good though...:confused: I have watched TONS of videos, etc..but still just can't get the 'knack' for where the highlights and the shading go...there sure are some talented people out there that can do it though...I'm gonna need TONS of practice!!! Will check out the site you got yours from...did you get the Ciao? or Sketch ones may I ask?

Thanks also for the link to the S-Up/Copic color matching...that will be great to have as a reference also!! Have a great Easter! Take care...
I ordered the Ciao...it seemed that most people said the only difference was you cannot airbrush with the Ciao only with the Sketch. Since I don't airbrush, I figured I'd go with the more affordable option!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnneyView Post
I'm NEW to using Copics and was curious if you wanted to start out and see how you liked them etc...would it pay to get like maybe a set of the primary colors ? I know you wouldn't be able to shade with them, but can you blend the two colors (i.e. yellow laid down, and blue over it, to make a green shade?) Wasn't sure if doing this might hurt the markers in some way...dunno ?? I got a LOT of reading to do also...any responses/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea..what kind of S-Up paper??? I have the whisper white is all...is that heavy (and/or smooth) enough? THANKS!!!
I wouldn't recommend using Copics this way. You can't mix a yellow and a blue to make a green. Copics blend, so you need to use a light, medium and dark of the same color family. I have never tried what you suggested, to make a new color from primary colors, but I imagine the blue would just remove the yellow and you'd end up with just blue. The way Copics work ( or at least the way I was taught) is you color your image with the lightest shade first, then add some hightlights with the medium shade. You can then blend by going over again with the lightest shade. Or you could color with the lightest shade first, then add highlights/shadows with the medium and darker shades and then blend all together with the lightest shade. The tips of your markers will not be damaged by touching the light ones to dark ones. That's part of the beauty of Copics!

A good resource for beginners is on the Flourishes website. http://rjnx9.ut464.servertrust.com/category_s/74.htm They put together color combos nicely.

I always go by the Copic numbering system. If I want say a green group, I would stick within the same letter. ie. all YG's. Don't mix in just G's. Those are different tones of green. Then from there start with a 00, then add maybe an 01 or 02 then an 04 or 06. Try to keep your same first digit the same too. So, I am going YG00, YG03 and YG06 for my light, med and dark. I wouldn't go YG00, YG17, YG95. The "0's" are different tones than the "1" group and the "9" group. KWIM? Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharileaView Post
I wouldn't recommend using Copics this way. You can't mix a yellow and a blue to make a green. Copics blend, so you need to use a light, medium and dark of the same color family. I have never tried what you suggested, to make a new color from primary colors, but I imagine the blue would just remove the yellow and you'd end up with just blue. The way Copics work ( or at least the way I was taught) is you color your image with the lightest shade first, then add some hightlights with the medium shade. You can then blend by going over again with the lightest shade. Or you could color with the lightest shade first, then add highlights/shadows with the medium and darker shades and then blend all together with the lightest shade. The tips of your markers will not be damaged by touching the light ones to dark ones. That's part of the beauty of Copics!

A good resource for beginners is on the Flourishes website. http://rjnx9.ut464.servertrust.com/category_s/74.htm They put together color combos nicely.

I always go by the Copic numbering system. If I want say a green group, I would stick within the same letter. ie. all YG's. Don't mix in just G's. Those are different tones of green. Then from there start with a 00, then add maybe an 01 or 02 then an 04 or 06. Try to keep your same first digit the same too. So, I am going YG00, YG03 and YG06 for my light, med and dark. I wouldn't go YG00, YG17, YG95. The "0's" are different tones than the "1" group and the "9" group. KWIM? Hope that helps.
Would you say the set of markers I bought from Carpe Diem is a good starting point? They havent come in yet

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would not recommend Stampin Up paper to use with the Copic markers..... You want to use Gina Kay, Neenah solar crest white, Georgia pacific 110# is also so so, Copic's express blend it paper, also I have had great luck with Beckett's expression radiance papers. Check out sites like scrapblitz, Suzanne Dean is a master when it comes to Copics. I am Copic certified and teach classes so the paper is most important along with the ink. I ONLY use Memento ink and good paper..... Check out youtube and look for Suzanne Dean. You will be much happier with good paper and ink. Just practice and have fun......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by willowbyView Post
Would you say the set of markers I bought from Carpe Diem is a good starting point? They havent come in yet
Not sure which set you bought, but if it's got a good mix of colors in it, you can always build on it from there. Say for example you have a med pink and a dark pink (RV23 & RV25 say), then you could always buy RV21 or RV23 to get that lighter pink to make a blending trio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharileaView Post
Not sure which set you bought, but if it's got a good mix of colors in it, you can always build on it from there. Say for example you have a med pink and a dark pink (RV23 & RV25 say), then you could always buy RV21 or RV23 to get that lighter pink to make a blending trio.
I bought the set of 36 from Carpe Diem SB36 its the only set of 36 for Sketch. I got it for a great price!

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by willowbyView Post
The 36 set of markers on carpe diem includes both a ligher and darker marker in each shade (except violet) as well as a lot of grays. You should be able to get a feel for blending that way and then add to your collection a few markers at a time.

In the meantime, you could also order a 0 Colorless Blender. You can use that to blend with the other colors using the tip to tip coloring method. Use the colorless blender to pick up the ink from the darker color markers and color with that until the color blends out. And you can use it to fix mistakes when you color outside the lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

You definitely cannot mix the yellow and the blue to get a green. I would go with the majority and get 3 colours that are together - such as R20, R24 & R29. Then, you have your red covered, and I would build each colour that way. ie, next get G21, G24 & G28, etc.
Slowly you will build up your collection, once you decide that you like them.
It takes practice though, so don't get discouraged when it magically doesn't happen on the first try.

P.S. For skin (caucasian), I recommend getting E0000, E000, E00 and E11 (and R02 for the cheeks).
Good luck!

I'm a Bella Babe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellena317View Post
The 36 set of markers on carpe diem includes both a ligher and darker marker in each shade (except violet) as well as a lot of grays. You should be able to get a feel for blending that way and then add to your collection a few markers at a time.

In the meantime, you could also order a 0 Colorless Blender. You can use that to blend with the other colors using the tip to tip coloring method. Use the colorless blender to pick up the ink from the darker color markers and color with that until the color blends out. And you can use it to fix mistakes when you color outside the lines.
Thank you..!! I forgot about the colorless blender!

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I ordered the Ciao...it seemed that most people said the only difference was you cannot airbrush with the Ciao only with the Sketch. Since I don't airbrush, I figured I'd go with the more affordable option!
Just wanted to say you CAN airbrush with Ciaos. I did so just a few hours ago. I know you say you aren't interested now but just so you know in the future that is an option. I just place the marker in my holder same as the sketch.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 04-21-2011 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Good to know for the future!!! Thanks for the info

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

I agree with RiverIsis ... I do use my Ciaos in my airbrush as necessary!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get a bunch of copics, you may want to invest in the "quad" numbered colors. These are the markers with the four zeros after the letter (R0000, Y0000, etc). This series of markers are invaluable when you want that final blending of color. The colorless blender does not really "blend" but removes a bit of color. The quads blend beautifully.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use my colorless blender to "blend" when I am too lazy to pull out my quad markers. If you use the colorless marker tip to pick up ink from your other markers you can achieve a blended out look.

When used normally the Colorless blender or any lighter color ink "pushes" the darker color ink out away... Here is an example of where I used R20 and the 0 tip to tip to blend a little on the inside of the bunny ears
Attached Thumbnails
Markers...Copic?-easter-anya-card-close.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

I received my markers in the mail on Friday and have been using them every chance I get since! They work absolutely beautifully!! I watched a few youtube videos to get ideas on how to use them...they were really helpful. I'm def. going to order more from oozak!!

Reply With Quote Likes