Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #81  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an Olfa (5 1/2 x self-healing mat. They are quite thin so I will need something else to shim. Just wondering if I should get another self-healing mat (same size) or if I should get the Sizzix Thin Die Adapter. I think the Thin Die Adapter is made for the Solo platform which I don't have but I know you can buy this adapter separately.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #82  
Matboard Maniac

My Sizzix magnetic platform arrived yesterday and tried it out today. I'm so pleased I bought it, it worked a treat and kept the die in place beautifully. No more having to use sticky tape/sticky notes to keep everything together when die cutting. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #83  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeezieView Post
The Genius magnet pad is 1) too long-- seems like you're cranking forever, but I'm sure there's a reason they designed it that way; 2) the magnets pull your dies all over. You can tell it's not one huge plate of magnet like the SU platform. Those were my two main beefs. So glad I was able to confiscate the self healing mats for something.
My SU magnetic platform is NOT one huge plate of magnet. It does pull some dies such that you can't always place several dies where you want on the platform, to cut more pieces at one time. A decal on the platform shows the magnetized portion concentrated in a center rectangle.

The magnetized part is strong enough to pull some dies sideways but not strong enough to hold nestabilities such that you can make 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch frames, even if you tape the die to the cardstock and the cutting plate. The rollers still shift the die and/or the cardstock. The precision you might expect to be enhanced with a magnetic platform just can't happen if the rollers are tight enough to get a thorough cut.

It's not clear to me why the magnetic platform has been manufactured thicker than the regular platform, forcing you to change all your tried an true sandwiches. And also forcing you to use the original platform for some dies and all embossing folders. Don't go throwing that original platform away like I did!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #84  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingRealtorView Post
One thing I learned this past weekend when working on a swap while using the SU magnetic platform is that it works better when the cutting pads are flat. Mine was getting pretty bent and the framelits weren't sticking too well. Switched the cutting pad on the bottom and it worked great!

I love, love, love the magnetic platform!
I have a set of cutting pads for the magnetic platform only and then I use my older, slightly warped set for the original platform and for steel rule dies where no platform is needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

In case anyone is looking for the Magnetic Platform, I saw one today at Hobby Lobby for 34.99 that means you can use a 40% coupon and pay 20.99. I spent $50.00+ from Stampin' Up. I really love my platform though. Hope someone can enjoy the good price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #86  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I got my Sizzix magnetic platform yesterday. (Preordered my magnetic platform from Cut at Home) I had a small Olfa self healing mat that fits through the opening of my Big Shot.

To cut a wafer thin die I found this sandwich worked for me:

Thin die Adapter
Magnetic platform
Self healing mat
Card stock
Die - cutting side down
Clear acrylic plate

Think I will like this magnetic platform. The magnetic 'pull' is strong even through the self healing mat. I like to fussy cut. Also, the die needs to be cutting side down if you are using a coordinating die with your stamped image.
Thank you so much for posting your sandwich stack. I just got my thin die adapter today and this works awesome!! I just cut one of the Radiant Recantles Spellbinders dies that would NOT cut with the metal plate and wax paper. This sandwich cut it all the way through in one pass. Hardly any pieces to punch out from the die-cut, too. It works perfectly!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #87  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvpaper2View Post
In case anyone is looking for the Magnetic Platform, I saw one today at Hobby Lobby for 34.99 that means you can use a 40% coupon and pay 20.99. I spent $50.00+ from Stampin' Up. I really love my platform though. Hope someone can enjoy the good price!
Thanks for the heads-up. I scored one at HL late last week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #88  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Has anyone "MacGuyvered" their own, homemade, magnetic platform with success?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #89  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvpaper2View Post
You shouldn't have paid that much for just the magnetic platform. They only cost $39.99. I'm sorry if you were charged more than that.

Does the Hobby Lobby allow you to use the 40% off coupons on Sizzix products?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #90  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a problem using the HL 40% off coupon on Sizzix products. And I recently bought my magnetic platform there with a 40% off coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #91  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
I've never had a problem using the HL 40% off coupon on Sizzix products. And I recently bought my magnetic platform there with a 40% off coupon.
Great, thanks. Being a SU demo, I got my platform through them. I am always on the look out for Karen Burniston dies now that she no longer will be working for Sizzix. SO it is good to know what area stores will accept the coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #92  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I got my Sizzix magnetic platform yesterday. (Preordered my magnetic platform from Cut at Home) I had a small Olfa self healing mat that fits through the opening of my Big Shot.

To cut a wafer thin die I found this sandwich worked for me:

Thin die Adapter
Magnetic platform
Self healing mat
Card stock
Die - cutting side down
Clear acrylic plate

Think I will like this magnetic platform. The magnetic 'pull' is strong even through the self healing mat. I like to fussy cut. Also, the die needs to be cutting side down if you are using a coordinating die with your stamped image.
So, is the thin die adapter a necessity if you're using framelets with the magnetic platform, or do you think a second self-healing mat (which I already own) would work just as well? Just trying not to purchase the adapter unless I have to! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2013, 02:55 AM   #93  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescpellsView Post
So, is the thin die adapter a necessity if you're using framelets with the magnetic platform, or do you think a second self-healing mat (which I already own) would work just as well? Just trying not to purchase the adapter unless I have to! Thanks!
No, the die adapter is not necessary. I think, if I remember correctly, this thread twisted at one point with someone commenting that the acrylic plate becomes warped after a while (that is normal with big shot use) and people began posting sandwiches they used that didn't require two acrylic plates so they didn't have to worry about the warping.

You can use the normal sandwich of magnetic platform, acrylic plate, paper, framelit cutting side down, acrylic plate and then roll it through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #94  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you, Meg!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,395 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I've been following this thread although I can't buy a magnetic platform until I go to England but I must say thank you for the tip on using a self healing mat instead of a cutting plate, I cut one of my small ones in half and it works a treat, amazing, so thanks to everyone who mentioned it,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #96  
Inking Addict

Magnetic platform for older Cuttlebugs--looks like last post on this was almost a month ago--can someone verify that what Hobby Lobby offers will fit? Or does someone have a reputable source/brand? TIA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #97  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The magnetic platform is too wide to fit through the opening of my older Cuttlebug. It is the width of the Sizzix acrylic plates for the Big Shot/Big Kick. Sorry-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #98  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello out there! Has anyone ever tried using the We R Memory Keepers self healing magnetic mat to die cut, instead of the magnetic platform by Sizzix? I have a mini one being shipped to my local Staples and can't wait to see if it will do what I am hoping for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #99  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by irie93View Post
Hello out there! Has anyone ever tried using the We R Memory Keepers self healing magnetic mat to die cut, instead of the magnetic platform by Sizzix? I have a mini one being shipped to my local Staples and can't wait to see if it will do what I am hoping for.
If I remember correctly there are several comments within this thread about folks using a self healing mat in lieu of a cutting plate. Check the previous posts for details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #100  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! I saw those posts. No mention of a "magnetic" healing mat. Just comments about a self healing mat in conjuction with the Sizzix magnetic platform. I am wondering in the Memory Maker self healing "magnetic" mat would be like a "twofer" or "two in one!" making the Sizzix platform unnecessary because the self healing mat itself would hold the die cut in place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #101  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,395 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I bought a spellbinders magnetic spacer mat last year and then read that it shouldn't be used with the Bigshot, well I tried it yesterday, I used it on top of the multi platform, with several pieces of card under it, then the die, card to cut and then a self healing mat instead of a cutting plate, I did have to put quite a few pieces of card under the magnetic sheet as its thinner than the cutting plate, it worked really well holding the dies in place as I was cutting one die inside of another and wanted them to stay in place. Just be careful it's not too thick and break your bighsot.
Reply With Quote Likes