Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post
I'm glad to know it's not just me! I have the Carl RT200, Fiskars Ultimate Craft Trimmer, a couple of smaller Carl rotary trimmers, the Fiskars with the straight blade in the track, and the 12 x 12 Tonic Guillotine. Right now I am using the Tonic trimmer but I didn't care for the measurements being on the metal at the top and not on the base itself, so I bought a right-to-left adhesive tape measure from a woodworking supply and stuck it down at the top. I love it! Every now and then it chews up the paper towards the bottom of a long cut, but I think it's user error. I tend to bring the blade down too quickly and find that I get a smoother cut if I slow down a bit and also angle the blade toward the base a bit.The next best one, strangely enough, is the Fiskars Ultimate Craft Trimmer, which is almost impossible to find now. I don't like replacing blades and cutting strips, though. But it cut straight and has a pull out 4 or 6 inch ruler on the RIGHT side of the blade, which I really like. I wish the Tonic had that.

Why can't someone combine all of our good ideas into one fabulous, cuts-straight-every-time and doesn't-cost-an-arm-and-a-leg trimmer??? So many of the trimmers only measure 8 or 9 inches on the left and if I want to cut a piece of paper to 10.5 inches it's not possible. That's what I don't like about the Carl, it's not wide enough.

Tap, tap, is this thing on - manufacturers, are you listening????
ITA!!

ps I have a genesis trimmer. Huge, but doesn't cut more than one sheet at a time. There is NO perfect trimmer. When I win the lottery, I will hire someone to design one, manufacture it and let you all know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to the replacement blades for the Fiskar's Rock Paper Trimmer I mentioned:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...ODID=prd790930
I had to call Fiskars to find out, because it's such a new product, and nobody could tell me what kind of replacement blade to buy. It doesn't need one yet, though, and I don't anticipate needing one for a long time.
She told me that the strip should last me for years. That's a lot longer than the Cutterpede one lasts, so I hope she's right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Dahle that I love - and can cut 3-4 sheets of cardstock in one "swoop". I have two small complaints, though: 1) it's supposed to be a 12" cutter, but it tears that last 1/8" and 2) I wish it had 1/8" markings. Fortunately, neither of those complaints affect my crafting very often. However, if I get another cutter, I'd probably get the Dahle 15" model.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #44  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in OkcView Post
Here is a link to the replacement blades for the Fiskar's Rock Paper Trimmer I mentioned:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...ODID=prd790930

She told me that the strip should last me for years. That's a lot longer than the Cutterpede one lasts, so I hope she's right!
If the strip is made the same way as the original, ancient one, then it should last a long time. I've had the same strip since I bought mine, probably 8 - 10 years now, it's 4 sided, so you just rotate it often to keep it from getting worn out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #45  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
If the strip is made the same way as the original, ancient one, then it should last a long time. I've had the same strip since I bought mine, probably 8 - 10 years now, it's 4 sided, so you just rotate it often to keep it from getting worn out.
Thanks. They called me back with the product #, and said that they 'should' carry it at Michael's. The number is 95827097. I'll check
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #46  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
I have to say I am LOL at a trimmer that has an MP3 doc and speakers!

I have one of the old (charcoal and orange), original Fiskar's rotary trimmers, with the replaceable cutting strip, that still works perfectly. I use it only when I want to have a decorative edge using one of the replaceable blades I own. For regular cutting, I prefer the Tonic 12 x 12 guillotine, not the 6" with the swing arm, but the full size trimmer.
That's the one I have (Fiskars) and I hate it...so, I am afraid to read reviews, because obviously some people love it! I wonder if the new one (with the mp3) is the same way...:confused:

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #47  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
I have an Exacto with laser guide. I set the laser out of the box and have had great cuts ever since.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/x-acto-laser-trimmer/

I got mine at Office Max (or Office Depot, I get those confused).

For less exact measurements, I use a Fiskars desktop cutter with an arm that swings out for measurements to 12". I also have an old guillotine cutter, like the kind at school, for heavy-duty stuff and cutting multiple sheets of paper. It's a little harder to get an exact cut on it because there's a gap between the arm and the base, but it's been a reliable cutter for about 15 years now.
I can't tell from the photo--how does the laser guide work? Is it visual (as in, YOU have to look to see if it's straight on your paper)?
I really need something that I can bump the paper up against, because many MANY times it LOOKS straight to me, but it's off just a hair--enough to be visible once you mat it. I have learned that I cannot eyeball "straightness."

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #48  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside RoseView Post
The rotary cutters that I think work best have a mat that has to be replaced that the cutter cuts against.
funny, that has NOT been my experience. You can't see where it's cutting, exactly. I don't always use measurements, so I need to be able to eyeball where it's cutting. Also, I find it requires too much pressure and doesn't make a nice clean cut (even with a new blade).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #49  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by parsnipView Post
http://www.staples.com/X-Acto-12-Hea...?cmArea=SEARCH

I bought this X-Acto for the office because needed to cut binder spines.
It does a straight cut on cover stock and I've brought in things from home to cut because it does a better job than my Carl cutter or any of the Fiskars cutters I have rattling around the house.

The thing I like best are the grooves to be sure that you have the bottom straight.
ooh, that sounds perfect, if only it weren't a guillotine style :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #50  
Glitter Queen

Has anyone tried the new Creative Memories rotary cutter?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #51  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I have a genesis trimmer. I LOVE it. I think they'll be taking orders for them again soon.
why do you think they will be taking orders soon? I've been checking everyday for 2 years now and am still hopeful...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a Rotatrim 15" Professional series trimmer.I also have a Genesis but I use the Rotatrim more often.It is able to cut more than one sheet of cardstock and has a self sharpening blade. http://www.rotatrim.co.uk/product.php?product_code=4
Make sure to get the "M" (professional) series. It was 1/2 the cost of the Genesis.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #53  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara32caView Post
I have a Rotatrim 15" Professional series trimmer.I also have a Genesis but I use the Rotatrim more often.It is able to cut more than one sheet of cardstock and has a self sharpening blade. http://www.rotatrim.co.uk/product.php?product_code=4
Make sure to get the "M" (professional) series. It was 1/2 the cost of the Genesis.

Barbara
whoa, $130 is HALF the cost of a Genesis?!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 05:35 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

Actually, my 16" Genesis was quoted at $390 before shipping. So I guess I'm pretty bad at math! LOL!

:-) Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry, the Rotatrim site that I linked is the UK site. The price for the 15" M series is closer to $240 US.
I am in Canada and found a great deal on mine.I'm sure there are lots of sales to be had - just do a search for "Rotatrim Professional".

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 03:12 AM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

I purchased the tonic 12x12 just recently and LOVE it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #57  
Cardstock Collector

Default Just ordered my Genesis Trimmer!! :)

I have just ordered my Genesis Trimmer and it will be on its way by Friday!! I am sooo excited and can't believe it! BonniesBest has a ordering link in place now if you want to order the Genesis Trimmer! Yea!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Received 76 Likes on 22 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfcrkstampView Post
Has anyone tried the new Creative Memories rotary cutter?

I have! The first one I had worked great for about a week. Then it started ripping my paper. I called the company and they sent me a new one (which I thought was great customer service!). The new one worked for about 2 weeks. I had to keep taking it apart and putting it back together every time I wanted to use it. It was so frustrating!

Maybe if we all donated five bucks to an inventor, they could invent a cutter that works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wasn't so in love with my MM trimmer, I'd possibly consider buying a Genesis.

http://www.bonniesbest.com/genesis.htm

(I must have one of the pre-crooked MM Precision Trimmers.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside RoseView Post

I love the little cutterpede, wish I could find a larger version of it. Forget the Martha Stewart and Fiskars rotary cutters where the blade cuts into a channel. The rotary cutters that I think work best have a mat that has to be replaced that the cutter cuts against.

The cutterpede has shuttles you change, not a blade. Has anyone seen a large version of this?

I'm looking at getting a large Tonic guillotine for cutting panels....
Right after I posted this, 2 wonderful things happened. First, someone PM'd me a link to the Tonic guillotine on Scrapbook Alley - they were on sale for the best price I've seen AND free shipping. Ordered that as fast as my little fingers could type. Next, I ran into JoAnn's to grab a quick notion and what is on the shelf but THREE of the long (full-sized) Cutterpede's, marked $24.99 but all cutters were 20% off. I felt guilty about buying ANOTHER cutter but DH said get it, I'm tired of listening you whine for one. ;)

I just have to add.... we have a small JoAnn's near us and I have never seen Cutterpedes - even small ones - in there before!

I have to say, I have a small in home business and each has its use and I love all three - I also have the MM one. But I do wish it were possible to have it all, and have it all in one cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes