Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2020, 08:58 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Laser printer for foiling?

I have a laser printer but I can never get it to work for foiling. I print my image on my laser printer and run it through my laminator with the foil, yet when I lift the foil off the image, not one bit of foil has adhered to the image. I've heard that certain laser printers don't work for this process. I'm willing to purchase a new laser printer and would like to know what models you have that work for foiling. It must be wifi capable too. Even better, if you can provide an amazon link to your exact model that would be great. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of foil are you using? Some foils will not work with toner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctychickView Post
I have a laser printer but I can never get it to work for foiling. I print my image on my laser printer and run it through my laminator with the foil, yet when I lift the foil off the image, not one bit of foil has adhered to the image. I've heard that certain laser printers don't work for this process. I'm willing to purchase a new laser printer and would like to know what models you have that work for foiling. It must be wifi capable too. Even better, if you can provide an amazon link to your exact model that would be great. Thanks!

I've had problems with using a laser printer with foil as well. The foil adhered, but not fully. I bought a laminator to use with Deco Foil by ThermoWeb, and had hoped my laser printer would work for customized designs. I don't know if it's my printer, but I suspect it's the toner cartridges that I use. They are generic and work fine for printing, but may not be adequate for foiling. Hope you can figure it out.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 06:45 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Could it be that your laminator isn't getting hot enough to fuse the foil onto the toner?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2020, 06:54 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but having made the mistake myself once, thought I'd ask. You do have the foil pretty side up, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
This may be a stupid question, but having made the mistake myself once, thought I'd ask. You do have the foil pretty side up, right?

My first thought also -- hmmmm, wonder why that would pop into my head LOL!!!!  I've done that more than once.  So many times that I now have a note in with my foil!!

I got iffy results with my laminator.  I happened to find a small minc machine at Tuesday Morning.  I get much better results with that.  I think my laminator just didn't get hot enough.  

I have a HP laser printer and am still using the original toner that came with it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 03:11 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I also just bought a MINC- my laminator seems to generally work fine when I'm adding foil to stencil paste, but not for anything stamped, which I want to be able to do, just because I have so many sentiment stamps, amongst others, that I could foil. Having said that, my laminator was a really basic model, one speed, and either on or off, no adjustable heat. I did see one YT video where it was suggested to put a piece of thin card under your work when running through the laminator, to take the piece a bit closer to the heat source. * might* have been Jennifer MacGuire, I'm not certain of that though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I also just bought a MINC- my laminator seems to generally work fine when I'm adding foil to stencil paste, but not for anything stamped, which I want to be able to do, just because I have so many sentiment stamps, amongst others, that I could foil. Having said that, my laminator was a really basic model, one speed, and either on or off, no adjustable heat. I did see one YT video where it was suggested to put a piece of thin card under your work when running through the laminator, to take the piece a bit closer to the heat source. * might* have been Jennifer MacGuire, I'm not certain of that though.

When I first got my laminator, I had trouble with some of the Gina K foil designs for ThermoWeb. The foil didn't completely cover some of the images. ThermoWeb suggested that I let the laminator heat completely and then use a sheet of plain copier paper on top of my image and foil before I ran it through the laminator. It seemed to help. Still didn't have luck with using a laser printer though, but as I mentioned earlier, I think it's the fault of my generic toner.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out Nancy Stamps on YouTube - she has TONS of videos about foiling, both with toner foils and with the hot foil platforms and dies. She has tons of tips about what to do and what to use to get good results with toner foiling.

I know that one thing that was stressed was that if you use a laminator, you need to let it heat up way past the time its "ready" light goes on - at least 20 minutes to 1/2 hour. And it still does not work quite as well as the Minc. A mini Minc would be less $$ than the printer, and it's really what I would try first, as long as your laser printer uses powdery toner.

I had been able to use laser-printed designs from the printer/copier at work and those worked fine. Some people have done printouts from their inkjet printer and have taken them to a copy place and had copies run, and those work as well. I've now purchased a Xerox Phaser 3260DI laser printer, and I'm quite happy with my foiling with it. I'm not sure if it's available on Amazon; I ordered it from Staples. 

You also have to be using the right kind of foil - foil for the glimmer machine or the WRMK pen tool that goes in a cutting machine won't work with toner. But the problem with that kind is it foils everything when heat is applied, and you're getting nothing. So I really suspect the problem is your laminator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymoilanenView Post
What kind of foil are you using? Some foils will not work with toner.

Which foil brands are known to work with toner?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdoyle8View Post

My first thought also -- hmmmm, wonder why that would pop into my head LOL!!!!  I've done that more than once.  So many times that I now have a note in with my foil!!

I got iffy results with my laminator.  I happened to find a small minc machine at Tuesday Morning.  I get much better results with that.  I think my laminator just didn't get hot enough.  

I have a HP laser printer and am still using the original toner that came with it.

I don't remember, as I gave up trying long ago. I'll have to give it one more shot before switching printers or toners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Thermo-Web Deco Foil
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I don't remember, as I gave up trying long ago. I'll have to give it one more shot before switching printers or toners.

Like others have said, you definitely want to make sure the foil is pretty side up and you let your laminator heat up for a bit. You might also try a piece of copy paper or cardstock as a shim. It may help apply a little more pressure and give better results. I have both a Scotch laminator and a Minc and sometimes use a shim for both. It just depends on the thickness of the paper I'm trying to foil, but I've had good results with both. 

This is the printer I have and have had good results with it as well. https://www.brother-usa.com/products/hll2315dw

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

You want Reactive foil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Printer

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxgirl71View Post

Like others have said, you definitely want to make sure the foil is pretty side up and you let your laminator heat up for a bit. You might also try a piece of copy paper or cardstock as a shim. It may help apply a little more pressure and give better results. I have both a Scotch laminator and a Minc and sometimes use a shim for both. It just depends on the thickness of the paper I'm trying to foil, but I've had good results with both. 

This is the printer I have and have had good results with it as well. https://www.brother-usa.com/products/hll2315dw

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2021, 09:00 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Printer

Quote:

Can you make a copy on this printer? I would like one that if I stamped an image I could copy it from the page without having to take a picture
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 291 Likes on 193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ddesignsView Post

Can you make a copy on this printer? I would like one that if I stamped an image I could copy it from the page without having to take a picture
Copying a stamped image might be a violation of the copyright. I’ve seen multiple sites with a statement about not copying stamped images. So, you might want to check the policy of the specific stamp company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2View Post

Copying a stamped image might be a violation of the copyright. I’ve seen multiple sites with a statement about not copying stamped images. So, you might want to check the policy of the specific stamp company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Copyrights

Guess I will have to look Into it. I do not want to sell the items. Just for personal use, cards and decor items for myself or gifts. I want to stamp and foil. But toner ink stamping is messy and iffy from what I understand. What would I want to foil if not an image or sentiment? If certain companies forbid me from using their product this way , If they can prohibit me to do that then I will am certainly not going to purchase their products moving forward. F
What are people foiling ? Would love to know. I bought a small minc just before the pandemic hit and have yet to use it. Foiling with adhesive is ok for strips of tape or a die cuts but for me doesn’t work out so well on anything with a lot of detail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Did you try searching minc foiling on YouTube? I saw a video there in which they used deco foil transfer gel duo and stencils to create something to foil. That’s on my list of things to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes have seen but I have not been a fan of all the different gels and pastes to use for stencils. I don’t get even enough results for my taste. Guess I will take my chances and try to figure out which printer to buy. Nobody can seem to recommend one that is still available for purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ddesignsView Post

No, this is strictly a printer. It doesn't have any scanning/copying capabilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Sending you a PM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

No, this is strictly a printer. It doesn't have any scanning/copying capabilities.
Thanks. Wish I could find a decent one with a flat bed for copying
Reply With Quote Likes