Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need a Better Glue

Hello All,

I am wanting your advice on the best kind of glue to use in card making. I'm still new to the card making world, and just don't have the experience on what products are best.

I am using standard Tacky craft glue. It is curling my paper! And while I did figure out to keep it from puckering the paper on the surface, it still slightly curls the card stock 'card' portion, and gives it an unattractive 'wavy' look.

At first i thought I was using to much glue, but even after tiny applications with toothpicks and q-tips, its still curling.

I need something affordable, and preferable something that can be found at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or Jo-anns (basically a large craft store). I also have a Archivers where I live too.

Thanks!

Dana
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I find dry adhesives/tape runners to be much better than liquid glues for the majority of papercrafting projects. Tombow's Mono Permanent Adhesive (the blue one -- green cartridges are temporary) or Stampin' Up!'s SNAIL are my go-to adhesives. You can get the Tombow adhesive at any craft store, but I actually like to order it in bulk from Penwa using one of their coupon codes they send out in e-mails. Three boxes, with 6 cartridges per box, will last me for several months and if I order with a friend we can qualify for free shipping and the bigger volume discounts.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
I find dry adhesives/tape runners to be much better than liquid glues for the majority of papercrafting projects. Tombow's Mono Permanent Adhesive (the blue one -- green cartridges are temporary) or Stampin' Up!'s SNAIL are my go-to adhesives. You can get the Tombow adhesive at any craft store, but I actually like to order it in bulk from Penwa using one of their coupon codes they send out in e-mails. Three boxes, with 6 cartridges per box, will last me for several months and if I order with a friend we can qualify for free shipping and the bigger volume discounts.
Ahh! I found a Doctor Who fan!! hehe.

What is a 'glue runner'? is that like the white out tape? But glue?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

woops. I meant tape runner
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Look at Joann's or Michaels for the pink ATG. The glue sticks like crazy and the refills are very economical if you use a coupon or buy in bulk online.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I know many people prefer tape - but I'm a wet-glue gal all the way for everything except vellum. I use Aleene's Tacky Glue and have no problems with it at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love using Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue (with the green lid). Don't need very much and it sticks like crazy, but still gives you the initial moment to adjust your layer if needed.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #8  

Ditto for me. I use Tombow for 75% of my gluing needs, if the paper is too thin for a liquid glue I use the ATG gun, and for adhering ribbon/embellishments/anything heavier than paper I use Sookwang double sided tape.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenda71View Post
I love using Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue (with the green lid). Don't need very much and it sticks like crazy, but still gives you the initial moment to adjust your layer if needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Another vote for the ATG. I got mine at M's a year ago with a coupon, so it was about $20. It took no time to get used to, holds everything well adn doesn't get lost on my table. I think I'm getting DD one for Christmas, in fact, as she's always grabbing mine. The refills are also not that expensive - either at M's with a coupon or online. I would go nuts waiting for glue to dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
Ditto for me. I use Tombow for 75% of my gluing needs, if the paper is too thin for a liquid glue I use the ATG gun, and for adhering ribbon/embellishments/anything heavier than paper I use Sookwang double sided tape.
I started out using various tape runners, but I noticed that cards that I had in my inventory for awhile would fall apart. When I looked closely at them I could see the dried out residue of the tape runners. So I've pretty much switched to Tombow Mono Multi (green lid), and I feel really sure that cards people keep are going to stay together. You have a few seconds to place the card parts where you want them, and then they stay stuck. Plus I've never had a problem with cardstock puckering. You just use a very small amount, so it seems to be economical too. I'm interested in all the comments people make about the ATG, but I'm afraid to take the plunge. I just don't want another piece of equipment that doesn't make me happy that I bought it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kempdView Post
I'm interested in all the comments people make about the ATG, but I'm afraid to take the plunge. I just don't want another piece of equipment that doesn't make me happy that I bought it.
You need to find a real life friend to let you try it out. It looks big and clunky, but it's actually very lightweight, comfortable and easy to use after you've tried it a time or two.

I love my ATG gun, which I've always used with 3M Gold (acid free) tape and have no had any problems. But then, I've only been using it for three or four years.

The down side to the ATG vs. glue is that once you stick it, it's stuck! No lifting, sliding or easing it into place.

For wet glue, I like Fabri-Tac over the tacky glue. But I find that both (especially the tacky glue) gives me a wet warp look on thin paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I also use Tacky Glue for my projects. I use my finger to smear the glue on back. That way I get better control an no warping of my paper. My Mom taught me that trick and she only uses Aleene's Tacky Glue for her extensive paper projects in the thirty years she has been paper crafting. I show her my other glues and she looks lost.

I also like a glue stick. Gasp! Yes, the "it falls apart on everyone" glue stick. I use UHU glue stick. The trick is to apply the glue stick and let it set up a few seconds before sticking the item on your project. You must burnish the heck out of it. All my projects are still holding strong after several years. I do live in a high humidity climate. That might be why I have such great luck with glue sticks.

All glues, including the ATG, you need to burnish. I use an old soda cap to burnish.

I also use double sided tape for my projects. I do own an ATG gun but I am not crazy about it. I can use it fine. So, it's not user error that makes me not like it. I guess it's because I am a cross-stitcher so every time I have that gun in my hand I am thinking of framing. I moved the ATG gun to my framing box out in the garage.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 03:24 AM   #13  

Another vote for the ATG here. It's what I use for adding layers to my cards, however, if it's a 3-D project of some sort I'll use the Scor-pal or Sookwang tape. And, when adding embellishments my favourite glue is Crafter's Pick. Archiver's recommends it for putting together the flowers made with the McGill punches. You only need to hold your items for a short amount of time and it sets up. It dries invisible and holds great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 05:34 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
All glues, including the ATG, you need to burnish. I use an old soda cap to burnish.
What is burnishing?

All you guys are being most helpful. Thank you SO much!

Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Burnishing means to rub it or polish it.
I think she means to "burnish" (or rub) the paper AFTER it is stuck in place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh I understand now. using a bottle cap though, that is a fantastic idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=lylacfey;18931369]I also use Tacky Glue for my projects. I use my finger to smear the glue on back. That way I get better control an no warping of my paper. My Mom taught me that trick and she only uses Aleene's Tacky Glue for her extensive paper projects in the thirty years she has been paper crafting. I show her my other glues and she looks lost.

I do the same thing! I use the quick dry Tacky glue tho and burnish it good with the side of my bone folder. The trick is to use very little glue. I got really tired of my ATG gun getting all messed up. The tape keeps breaking on me! I do use my little Tombow tape runner sometimes. That thing never fails me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote here for the Tombow Mono-multi (small plastic bottle with green cap). I have not tried ATG, and I have heard wonderful things about it. But for inexpensive, relatively easy-to-find, portable, long-lasting adhesive, I vote for the Tombow Mono-multi all the way.

I have tried SU! tape runner and tape runners by several other companies, glue sticks, Aleene's (several varieties--the quick dry is good, but I was getting some paper warping), and just about everything in between. I think sometimes your success depends on what type of climate/humidity you live in. The cards I used Tombow on have never come apart: I can't say the same for any of the other adhesives.

Just as an aside, I have a separate Iris cart drawer devoted entirely to adhesives for different things: glue dots for ribbons, rhinestones, etc.; vellum tape for vellum; dimensional dots and squares (thin foam with "sticky" on both sides to attach images and items that you want raised up above the base of the card for depth); Scor-tape and the double-sided red liner tape (can't remember the name) for things like making boxes, journal covers, and things which will have more stress put on them than cards do; velcro dots (for closures on some hinged-lid boxes, post-it-note holders); Aleene's Tack-It-Over-Again for my unmounted rubber stamps.....

Hope this helps you--and didn't confuse you too much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrafteWhoView Post
Hello All,

I am wanting your advice on the best kind of glue to use in card making. I'm still new to the card making world, and just don't have the experience on what products are best.

I am using standard Tacky craft glue. It is curling my paper! And while I did figure out to keep it from puckering the paper on the surface, it still slightly curls the card stock 'card' portion, and gives it an unattractive 'wavy' look.

At first i thought I was using to much glue, but even after tiny applications with toothpicks and q-tips, its still curling.

I need something affordable, and preferable something that can be found at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or Jo-anns (basically a large craft store). I also have a Archivers where I live too.

Thanks!

Dana
It could be your Cardstock. Using the cheaper CS, sometimes it will curl. Or where you might be creating might be a little bit to humid?

I don't know what you're using Cardstock wise. I love using Stampin' Up!, Bazzil Cs,

I've found using Mono Multi Glue in the green and White bottle works great.
Also Martha Stewart has a glue pen that works great too.

I've used a tape runner too. It works good for what I'm doing.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I used the ATG for my cards last year and the card making process went by very quickly. Less messy than wet glue and no dry time to worry about. It also does not curl, warp, or harden the paper. If I need something stronger than ATG, then I use the Sookwang tape (it is Scor-tape but cheaper due to not having the Scor-tape brand name on it). Works great and is a lot less expensive than the redline tape - also you can tear it instead of having to use scissors to cut it and backing does not cling to everything. If I have to use a wet glue, I like to use Scotch Quick Dry. It works great and dries super fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

If you want a good paper glue, ZipDry is my recommendation.
ZIP DRY PAPER GLUE Adhesive Product Details

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=melissa59;18931266]
The down side to the ATG vs. glue is that once you stick it, it's stuck! No lifting, sliding or easing it into place.QUOTE]

un-du is a lifesaver if you make a mistake with your ATG or taperunner.

https://un-du.com/

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

For card making I use Scotch double sided tape. Or Tombow if I run out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #24  

I use scrappy glue, I like it better than the mono glue and one bottle lasts a long, long time! http://www.amazon.com/Advantus-Heidi...1592643&sr=8-1

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Burnishing means to rub it or polish it.
I think she means to "burnish" (or rub) the paper AFTER it is stuck in place.
Thank you so much for explaining better than I could. That is exactly what I meant. I would still be trying to explain.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

another vote for the pink or red ATG. Love love love this tool! I also like the Tombow Mono (green cap).
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrafteWhoView Post
Hello All,

Thanks!

Dana
Here's some burnishing tips: PaperFriendly: EASY DOES IT; BURNISH THOSE ADHESIVES!

When using the bottle cap to burnish, be sure the top of the cap is smooth. Stick your index finger into the cap and burnish away.

The golden rules of glues and adhesives: determine the end use of the project; select the best adhesive for that use; apply in as thin a coat as possible; burnish. burnish. burnish; allow to dry, cure and set (even a Xyron needs 24 hours to cure) to ensure a secure bond.

Each type of a liquid adhesive has different properties, so it's important to select the adhesive best suited for that project. Probably the most overlooked adhesive is a glue stick. Unsatisfactory results with a glue stick occur when it's not applied properly; thin, thin coat, burnish, burnish, burnish, and adequate curing time are required.

Check your library for my book, The Complete Guide To Glues & Adhesives. It has all sorts of info about the sticky stuff we use for all crafting techniques, in addition to projects,.

Last edited by craftdesigns; 11-18-2011 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
Here's some burnishing tips: PaperFriendly: EASY DOES IT; BURNISH THOSE ADHESIVES!

When using the bottle cap to burnish, be sure the top of the cap is smooth. Stick your index finger into the cap and burnish away.

The golden rules of glues and adhesives: determine the end use of the project; select the best adhesive for that use; apply in as thin a coat as possible; burnish. burnish. burnish; allow to dry, cure and set (even a Xyron needs 24 hours to cure) to ensure a secure bond.

Each type of a liquid adhesive has different properties, so it's important to select the adhesive best suited for that project. Probably the most overlooked adhesive is a glue stick. Unsatisfactory results with a glue stick occur when it's not applied properly; thin, thin coat, burnish, burnish, burnish, and adequate curing time are required.

Check your library for my book, The Complete Guide To Glues & Adhesives. It has all sorts of info about the sticky stuff we use for all crafting techniques, in addition to projects,.
Here's a bit more info about a 'bottle cap 'burnisher...
PaperFriendly: EASY DOES IT: FREE BURNISHING TOOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

After trying a number of different options, I find my go to is my ATG tape runner. I do not have problems with the glue drying out and it sticks like crazy. For wet glues, I like Beacons 3-in-1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I have enjoyed my ATG adhesive red gun that I purchased from framingsupplies.com. They are very helpful and buying adhesive is no longer a mystery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
Here's some burnishing tips: PaperFriendly: EASY DOES IT; BURNISH THOSE ADHESIVES!Probably the most overlooked adhesive is a glue stick. Unsatisfactory results with a glue stick occur when it's not applied properly; thin, thin coat, burnish, burnish, burnish, and adequate curing time are required.
Thank you so much for posting tips about the glue stick. I love my glue sticks. I think they get such an undeserved bad rap. In all my years of crafting my glue stick creations have lasted. I do burnish the heck out of it. I have always burnished my glue pieces since I was a small child. When I was young I used to think things would fall off if not plastered down. I never outgrew that. Funny enough I never used glue sticks until I became an adult.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I know many people prefer tape - but I'm a wet-glue gal all the way for everything except vellum. I use Aleene's Tacky Glue and have no problems with it at all.
Me too. Depending on the surface I'm gluing, I apply it with a fine tip paint brush, a paper towel, or my fingers. OP, if your paper is curling you may be using too much glue, or you need to apply some pressure for a few seconds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you everyone for the help and input! I went to Michael's today to get a close-up look at the ATG. It's big! I'm sure it works great, but its a little to bulky for me. I went with the Tombow! So far it seems to be everything I need in a tape adhesive. For the applicants and what not, I'll prob still use my tacky glue. It sticks great, and it doesn't curl the paper until its spread out over it.

Thank you all!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenda71View Post
I've used this in the past and did not like it (don't remember what I did not like). Recently I had a few odd shaped pieces I needed to glue/adhesive together and my ATG and other adhesives were too cumbersome to use. I picked up Tombow Mono liquid glue (the green lid) and it worked like a charm. Now I am in love with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually use a tape runner for most paper projects, but when it's an embellishment, heavy, or needs extra "stick", then hands-down the Crafter's Pick glue is the best for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #36  
Inking Addict

I too am a ATG Lover (i have the red one) got mine from framingsupplies.com and order the refils from there in bulk. Very cheap. I hate Zip dry, like Scotch Quick Dry the best. As far as Burnishing after gluing, I found that a used up gift card, gas card or motel room key makes a great burnishing tool and it saves my bone folder from getting all the glue and sticky on it. Just keep your old credit or debit cards too, they make great tools for drawing around, using to burnish and great for drawing straight lines with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

Default sticky sticky sticky

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I
I also like a glue stick. Gasp! Yes, the "it falls apart on everyone" glue stick. I use UHU glue stick. The trick is to apply the glue stick and let it set up a few seconds before sticking the item on your project. You must burnish the heck out of it. All my projects are still holding strong after several years. I do live in a high humidity climate. That might be why I have such great luck with glue sticks.
I moved the ATG gun to my framing box out in the garage.
I too use the old fashioned glue stick. Cheap, economical, and easy to store. I use them in bookbinding. I find most people apply too much glue stick. Think of it like a slick chapstick, not lipstick. A light brush, and yep, burnish it. For cardstock, I find a light touch on both surfaces to touch means that it is a PERMANENT solution. Once dry, they can never be peeled apart. A glue to glue bond is always stronger. But, I like that I have some wiggle room before that point. Tape guns and dry adhesives don't allow for that. And the repositionable stuff is just crap. Dots are the worst of the runners.

I did some quilting for a long time and used washable glue stick to adhere small applique pieces. Elmers is my favorite.

For paper crafts (not cards) I use PVA glue or bookbinders glue. It dries flexible and is applied with a brush. It won't curl or wrinkle your papers. Dries flexible and clear.

For objects that are not porous I use Glossy Accents (ranger) but CTMH and SU have their own version. Nice is that it can be used to glue or seal. Be careful with some metals though, it can turn green.
Reply With Quote Likes