Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #41  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh GOSH!! I so love them!! The first time I saw one it was love at first sight. So glad can get them in the US now. I use them to make cards for my grandchildren as I think they are just so dang cute!! Yep what floats one persons boat will sink another.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #42  
Glitter Queen

They are not my thing for all the reasons previously stated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #43  
Mad Swapper

I love the Magnolia stamps too . I think they are so cute and I wish I had more of them. I also love the little accessory stamps that go with them- like the benches, trees, etc. They are a lot of fun for making scenes with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

I had to Google them...I've never heard of them. They remind me of the old school "DJ Inkers"....clip art and such. Anyone remember those? Cartoonish looking stamps are not my style, but to each their own. I would definitely not buy them and any cards and such that have that type of images, I just skip over. It's a beautiful thing that we can share our opinions though...love that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

I personally, love Magnolias. There are many stamps that I don't care for at all...but I can't see myself starting a thread about it. Life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things. Not trying to be "snarky"...just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 521 Likes on 234 Posts

They don't do anything for me either. I don't hate them...and like some of the previous posters, I like the Joan Walsh Anglund children better. If only they made stamps of her art!

Maybe if there were more cards with them that were very CAS, they may have more appeal. I definitely am not a multi-layers, multi-pattern person.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 08-04-2009 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

What does CAS mean?

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by quirky62View Post
What does CAS mean?
Clean and simple -- or to my sister, the "Classical Animation Society" group where she served as an officer in college, LOL! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #49  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by quirky62View Post
The title of this thread grabbed me immediately. I am a lover of Magnolia stamps and it was so interesting to read other people's opinions of them.

The interesting part was learning about other people's perspectives on something that I adore. I have to say that the look of the face (with the missing features) is what attracted me to them in the first place. In general, i am not lover of cutesy-type stamps but these images were just so expressive and adorable, I was captivated immediatly.

One person's floor is another person's ceiling....
I too found this thread interesting, for the same reason, I liked the stamps! At first I wasn't sure about them, because of the "no nose/mouth" issue, but then, they grew on me, like the wooden no face angel figurines I've been given as gifts since a number of family deaths. I've never really done a number of "people" stamps before in all my years of stamping, just not my thing; but with my first grandchild due soon, they've taken on a new meaning. They are fun to color and shade, and my family and friends have enjoyed receiving them, so it's added a new avenue to my stamping-something different. And, as many have said it's nice that we don't all have to like the same things that's what makes us varied in our styles.

I'm glad I've tried some different things, it gives me a real variety to choose from when I do cards as gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear artist who draws Magnolia stamps:

I'm sorry. I hope your feelings aren't hurt. There is a style for everyone and not everyone likes every style.

Hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #51  
Kookie Creator

This is a great thread. I bought 3 sugar nellie "gorjuss girls" (no nose or mouth) stamps I had to have because they are so cute. After playing with them & making a few cards, my 10 yr old daughter had a valid point. She said although very cute they look a little mutated because the no nose or mouth. I make more then 1/2 my cards for kids so I decided not to buy anymore. I think the Tilda's are cute, but don't think I will invest in anymore kids w/o mouths stamps. We both agree and love the Whif of Joy line and I still like MFT headless for my adult cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
"But as for the Tilda stamps, well way too much coloring for me so I'd never buy them but the no face thing does weird me out a little bit. However I love the mouth and nose that Happy Heart put on hers! You can't even tell it didn't come like that on the stamp and the coloring is beautiful (Happy Heart, could you please send me some coloring skills? Please?!?)"

LOL! You know what they say...practice, practice, practice! I used to HATE coloring! Check out my earlier work and you'll see I wasn't very good at it. With practice and in trying to emulate some of the wonderful artists here, I gradually got better. Now it's one of my favorite things to do, along with cutting, which I also hated at one time!
I keep practicing but they still look pretty awful. LOL. I'm beginning to think I just don't have stamping mojo and should just stick with my Big Kick and my dies and be happy! LOL

I am thinking about getting some Prismacolor pencils or something. I really only have cheaper colored pencils, ink pads and an aqua brush. Maybe better tools would make me a better colorer (is that even a word?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #53  
Embossing Fanatic

Whew, I thought it was just me! I'm not a fan of them either. They're kind of creepy and are definitely not my style. ;)

Visit my blog

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdodd00View Post
I personally, love Magnolias. There are many stamps that I don't care for at all...but I can't see myself starting a thread about it. Life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things. Not trying to be "snarky"...just sayin'.
Actually, I can understand. Here at SCS, it often appears that "everyone" seems to like a certain new thing. I know with me, there are MANY things I don't like. I don't need to start a thread NOW but I used to feel kind of weird about it. So, when I saw thread about the things I didn't like, it made me feel more normal. And, for the record, I don't like most of the currently "popular" stamps. I do agree that it would be boring if we all liked the same things. I buy what I like and not what's popular. Yay, for diversity in all of life is what I say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

LOL, this is a funny thread. I don't think they are creepy, but different. I'm new to stamping and when I saw these stamps, the first thing I noticed was the "no mouth" thing, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why they did that. I mean I love kids, and that's the best part of kids, are their smiling faces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 08:18 AM   #56  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I don't draw them on, I use another stamp from another of their lines to add a mouth and nose. My granddaughter thinks the missing features are a little weird so I made this one for her:
One Sweet Cookie! by Happy Heart at Splitcoaststampers

Wow...this card is so cute...great job!!!!

I really need to start practicing my colouring!

I would love to know the other stamp that you use so I will PM you.

Personally, I think the Magnolias are cute...good thing there is something out there for everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #57  
Kookie Creator

I'm glad it's not just me that can't stand them. I think they are cheesy and not at all cute, totally not my style at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

I am not a huge fan of them either. I think I was initially turned off by the no face thing, but then I got a few from a friend and I realized why I don't like them. They take a lot of work to get them to look as good as the ones in the gallery, and I am not that good yet. The creations I see of them a just beautiful and I can only imagine all the time and effort they took. Maybe when I have mastered my copics I will feel differently, but for now I pass on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #59  
Mad Swapper

I can't color worth a crap so don't like them. The no face... I didn't notice until I read this thread

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

They are not for me, not my thing, but I am glad there is a little something for everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

Would you consider selling your Magnolia Stamps.

Thanks,

Dee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

They are not my style at all, however I agree with what many people stated- the cards in the gallery that have them are colored beautifully.

I am note a cutesy kind of girl. I don't like Precious Moments figurines or anything like that. BUT I can appreciate and respect someone who does. Everyone's got a different style.

I don't think the OP started the thread to offend anyone. Honestly, when the Magnolia stamps started popping up everywhere I was very curious if I was the only one who didn't care for them (or thought it was weird that they were missing half their face). I just wondered if I was "missing" something since there were so many cards with them.

It's all good, though. Hopefully the artist who designs for Magnolia Stamps is not offended. That is obviously their style and they should be proud of their work. Many people DO like those stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #63  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuiltnstamperView Post
They remind me of Joan Walsh Anglund who was really popular in the 70s. They were much cuter than Magnolia IMHO but unfortunately don't make stamps of the images.
yep they remind me of JWA too. It just does not seem right to me to have mouthless children! But I do enjoy the art in the gallery and have favorited some of the cards. I feel the same way about MFT and the *Headless* images!!!
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't like them at all...I think they look like hippos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #65  
Hardware Hotshot

I think this posting has been the most interesting I've read up until now lol! I LOVE the Magnolia stamps! It's fun reading what other people think about certain stamps, inks, paper, etc....this has been very insightful and amusing I love honesty...it's a wonderful thing!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

I remember the first time I heard of Magnolia stamps. Someone here asked where to find them and I replied with links to several sites... all selling... magnolia. flower. stamps.

(I really need some of JulieHRR's smilies for things like this -- <insert hanging head in embarrassment here> )

I've had Magnolias.. the wings and missing features started to seem a bit odd to me. I still have a girl on a horse, and a horse. There's something cute about them though. . . and if I could master Happy Heart's nose and mouth additions, I'm afraid I'd be way too interested ;) . As someone else said, it can be good to not need everything!

Along these same lines, I've had Bellas, still have a few actually, and some stamped images from a friend who loves 'em. The stick arms (and legs?) bug me, bug me, bug me. But what the hay... sometimes, for the right person and right occasion...

Last edited by Phantom; 08-19-2009 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbenjamView Post
....and it's all my mother's fault! When I was small, whenever we would see an image or figurine (ie Precious Moments) with a large head, she would sadly shake her head and murmer, "those poor, poor big-headed children". ....
I can't stop thinking about this scene and keep picturing the mom from A Christmas Story ... it's too funny!!

This image and the one of cdjkssss/Chris and the old TV show both had me laughing and will stick with me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 03:52 AM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

I actually like them, even though I only have one so far (shabby shic Tilda sitting) I do sometimes try to put a mouth on her but it never looks right. I usually cut her out after coloring and when I do, I cut off the wings, don't think they are necessary. I would like to get some more when finances allow. I really like some of the Sugar Nellies too, but as yet can't make up my mind about the Gorjuss Girls, sometimes I think some are cute, but then some I think are weird. LOL. At least we have plenty of choice out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 05:20 AM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am not too crazy about them either. I want that hummingbird but the price scared me, lol.

I love Gorjuss (also no faces) but I have been a fan of Woolcott's a long time. She has an artistic reason for no faces since her work is Goth.

I really have nothing against the Magnolia stamps. They are a little too "toddler" for me. If that makes any sense. I do love toddler things. I think the Magnolia artist is very talented.

I love Sarah Kay and Elizabeth Bell. Sarah Kay for the Holly Hobbie look and Elizabeth Bell because little wings remind me of fairies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #70  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdodd00View Post
I'm with you. I would never start a thread..."No offense, but I just don't like Bellas..."
Someone will be offended, especially if they make a lot of cards using that brand of stamp.
I personally don't mind if people don't like Magnolia's (or my Magnolia cards), I use them all the time because I love them.
I also don't consider them 'faceless' because that would mean they have no eyes. The way I look at it, they're very GOOD, quiet children, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #71  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!

I must say that this thread has been pretty interesting, to say the least! I had no idea what Magnolia stamps even looked like, after reading some of these posts, I had to find out!
Well...no offense to those that dearly love this line of stamps, I find that images of children with missing facial features, just are not my "cup of tea"!
YET---you know what my favorite stamped images are right now? WELL...I just adore the Penny Black Hedgehogs!!!! Some of you, I'm sure, will think that these are undoubtedly not so attractive/cute/adorable...as I do.
Yet, we can all enjoy what makes us happy in this awesome hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #72  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How funny because when I first had seen the magnolia stamps I thought ewwww, but then I bought one and then 2 and then 34 and now I have a ton!!!LOL

My mom doesnt care for any of the stamps with no mouth or nose. But I love coloring them they are fun!! I didnt care for coloring kid images I always seemed to like the animal ones, but now Im in love with all the different kid images out there, funny huh???!!

LOL Anyways I just had to read this kinda nice to see what everyone has to say about the different stamps

Have a nice night!
Hugs,
Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #73  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellegirlView Post
Hi!

I must say that this thread has been pretty interesting, to say the least! I had no idea what Magnolia stamps even looked like, after reading some of these posts, I had to find out!
Well...no offense to those that dearly love this line of stamps, I find that images of children with missing facial features, just are not my "cup of tea"!
YET---you know what my favorite stamped images are right now? WELL...I just adore the Penny Black Hedgehogs!!!! Some of you, I'm sure, will think that these are undoubtedly not so attractive/cute/adorable...as I do.
Yet, we can all enjoy what makes us happy in this awesome hobby.
I love the penny black and just got my first set of those, they are DARLING TOO!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 AM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

There was a time when I thought Magnolias were too cute but later the no-mouth problem started haunting me. All said, neither then nor now do I have any magnolia stamps. I did get a mangnolia image from someone and I must say that I had so much FUN coloing the image and the card turned out very beautiful.

When I showed it to my hubby, the first thing he said was "Where's the mouth?" LOL!

Bottomline, next time I get a magnolia image I'm just going to add a mouth and a nose .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 02:53 AM   #75  
Insane Embellisher

BTW, I just have to add, although I do LOVE coloring, I'm nowhere near as good coloring my hedgies as most are in coloring their Magnolia's!
Wow...I've seen some awesomely colored cards here using these stamps!!!! I'm very envious....yet, I love my hedgies, so I keep trying....I hope it helps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #76  
Kookie Creator

They give me the heebie-jeebies. That and I don't do cute. While I'm at it: the Bella series.... anorexia anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #77  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like them alright. The no mouth doesn't bother me a bit. I love cutesy stamps (obviously if you look at my gallery, LOL!)

I'm not at ALL into Stampin' Up stamps though. :P I only have a handful and even then those never get used. I don't like the matchy, matchy. Feels like it is stifling my creativity. :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

I sent my mom a magnolia card. While I was on the phone chatting with her about a tip I was taking to visit her, I mentioned that I was going to bring some images to coloring during down time. She asked me to bring something to make a mouth on the little girl card I sent her. I had to explain that this is the style with the magnolia stamps. She thought it was strange not to have a mouth, but said my card was cute.

So, right there and then I realized that non stamping people just don't understand the no mouth thing. I will only send magnolia cards to stamping friends. So, tell me, what do I do with all the magnolia images I received from the PIF thread and WRAK???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #79  
Hardware Hotshot

I love the Bella's too The arms and legs were a bit strange to me at first but I got past that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #80  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree. Where these stamps are not my thing....it is acknowledged that the work produced by the ladies who DO like them is really good.

We cannot all like the same things...wouldn't that be ultra boring?

Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybeeView Post
Luckily, there are many, many different styles of stamps to choose from. It's nice that there's something out there for just about everyone.

Magnolia stamps are not really my thing but I must say that most of the Magnolia cards I see are beautifully coloured and amazingly embellished. The ladies that do like them and own them do a great job with their cards.
Reply With Quote Likes