Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 266 Likes on 111 Posts
Question Hero Arts Cling Stamp Problem

I have a Hero Arts cling rubber stamp that I want to use with an acrylic block or in my MISTI, but the stamp -- as it came in its original packaging -- will not cling to either of those.

The layers of the stamp that I have are:
Top: Thin clear acrylic measuring 4-5/8" x 5-7/8" with the image printed on it
Next down: Slightly thicker and larger clear acrylic measuring 5" x 7-3/8"
Next down: Gray foam padding, without an image of the stamp printed on it
Bottom: Red rubber stamp 4-1/2" x 5-3/4"

Those layers just do not seem to be in the right order. IF I were to remove both acrylic layers, the stamp probably will cling to a block, but then I've lost the image.
Have any of you encountered and solved this puzzle?
Is this how all Hero Arts "cling" stamps are assembled?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have stamps like this but did a google search, and found a video about Stampin Up cling stamps, which seem to be similar. They also have a label, which doesn't want to stick to the block.

One of the tips was to use Chap stick on the label part, and then it seemed to stick to the block. It looked very easy to wipe off the stamp and the block when done.

I personally think this is a design flaw, and wouldn't want to have to do this every time.

I have other brands of cling mount stamps, and the image is printed on the gray foam padding, so they stick just fine.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

No Bugga - it's not the same. The Hero Arts stamps come on an acrylic sheet. You need to remove that in order to use the stamp. It's just the storage system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

This video shows the HA cling stamps: Maybe you should contact them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 04:12 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looked at a few of my Hero Arts cling stamps that I have not used yet. Sure enough, three of them are like yours - the label was applied to the acrylic storage sheet instead of the foam. Am going to check all my Hero Arts cling stamps and then contact them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
This video shows the HA cling stamps: Intro to "Clings"! - YouTube Maybe you should contact them.
This was almost ten years ago - they don't sell these anymore. They only sell their backgrounds/bold prints in cling, and they are on a piece of acetate you have to remove.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
This was almost ten years ago - they don't sell these anymore. They only sell their backgrounds/bold prints in cling, and they are on a piece of acetate you have to remove.
I have some of those, I wonder where/when I bought them? I did suggest contacting HA about problem stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Thank you, Vic (imvics) for posting the video above. When that was current information, the image was printed directly on the gray foam, and the separate thick acrylic piece was called the �carrier sheet.�

I spoke with two people at Hero Arts. The first one said, "You don't need the image!" We are supposed to remove both the thick acrylic sheet and the printed image that is firmly adhered to the top of it, and then use the plain gray foam to attach directly to a stamp positioner or acrylic block.

In other words, no image is now being printed on or adhered to the gray foam. The image sheet is there for storage purposes only, so that we know what stamp is on the bottom of the"stack."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 520 Likes on 234 Posts

I assume from what you were told that they have changed the way they do their cling stamps. I have many of their clings. Some of them just have cling foam on the rubber. Some have foam with a piece of cling vinyl with the image printed on it. That vinyl is attached with strong, sticky adhesive to the foam. That is not meant to be removed.

My problem with their clings that have the cling vinyl layer attached to the foam is that the vinyl gradually shrinks and the stamp ends up cupped and won't stick to a block. Any rubber that had that problem I have had to put new cling foam on.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 03:38 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

Fionna that sounds similar to my issues with Stampendous, esp House Mouse,...the vinyl wont stick to the block/storage page even if I wash it. It also tends to be bigger than the image and I cut it down for storage reasons. But now I leave it bigger because I have to scotch tape it to the storage page.

When I said something about this a couple years back here, they kindly posted to offer to replace them but it would be so many, not feasible imho. I think a bunch are retired.

I might have to do what you did and just re-mount them which would stink big time.

OP if you have 2 clear layers it sounds like this might be what it is. If the second layer is flexible vinyl you may not be meant to take that off. It doesn't make sense to me to have 2 carrier sheets but a lot of things in the world don't make sense to me. LOL

I really dislike the trend away from indexing the clings. Even if it wears off over time it would be better than nothing.

I don't know who told Hero/the industry we don't need the index. I know I want it! If that were true why are they bothering to still put it on the wood? They think we only use it for storage?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I emailed Hero Arts to ask if the stamp I have is assembled correctly, because I was expecting to see the image printed on the gray cling foam. I am copying their response here:

"That is a very good question, and we appreciate your interest in Hero Arts and helping us be the best company we can be.
Hero Arts used to offer printed images on a label that served as the "Cling" surface. The stamp itself was indexed as the label adhered to the stamp as a permanent label. The issue was the cling surface was about 50% as effective as the grey cling mount material. Given the cling over time could collect dust, the cling "stickiness" was not as effective. Thus, Hero Arts switched to the grey surface serving as the cling surface given its highly effective at sticking. And we used a label on the plastic sheet for indexing. We have experimented with a silkscreen image on the grey foam mount, but like the label, it does reduce the ability of the grey mount to cling over time. Plus, the silkscreen process is very hard to make environmentally clean and easy. Thus, we believe our cling stamps strike the best balance between clinging and offering the index on the plastic sheet.

"We do appreciate your feedback, and if you feel we should change, we will redouble our efforts to find ways to meet your needs.
Thank you again for your interest in Hero Arts!

Hero Arts Customer Service"

(I am glad the company explained its position, but I vote for asking them to "redouble" their efforts to having the image be part of the stamp.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 12:28 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is such an interesting thread! I know we are talking about older stamps when cling first came out, but I'm excited to see they can maybe be revived! I have a few Hero Arts cling stamps that are "cupping" as Fionna explained, that I've been trying to decide if I was going to toss because I thought they had "gone bad." They are all similar styles that are cupping - the square / rectangle background-ish stamps with flowers and butterflies, that are stamped solid and it's the details that are white / exposed paper. So it's a color block and the butterflies for example, are white all over in the image. They are so pretty that I don't want to simply get rid of them, but I also feel bad just giving them away in this condition. I didn't realize they could be revived! And like Wavejumper mentioned - some of my Stampendous Ones have that oversized clear top/sheet/thing that doesn't stick to the block. It's just the cutest Changito coffee Set and a witches shoes Halloween set that I love that are like this. If I am understanding correctly - with Hero Arts they could be remounted and that taping is the solution for Stampendous? Now that I'm thinking about it - isn't the problem with the old Stampendous cling stamps nearly the same problem as currently produced SU cling sets when the sticker is used? I'm going to google what workaround Stampendous did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
This is such an interesting thread! I know we are talking about older stamps when cling first came out, but I'm excited to see they can maybe be revived! I have a few Hero Arts cling stamps that are "cupping" as Fionna explained, that I've been trying to decide if I was going to toss because I thought they had "gone bad." They are all similar styles that are cupping - the square / rectangle background-ish stamps with flowers and butterflies, that are stamped solid and it's the details that are white / exposed paper. So it's a color block and the butterflies for example, are white all over in the image. They are so pretty that I don't want to simply get rid of them, but I also feel bad just giving them away in this condition. I didn't realize they could be revived! And like Wavejumper mentioned - some of my Stampendous Ones have that oversized clear top/sheet/thing that doesn't stick to the block. It's just the cutest Changito coffee Set and a witches shoes Halloween set that I love that are like this. If I am understanding correctly - with Hero Arts they could be remounted and that taping is the solution for Stampendous? Now that I'm thinking about it - isn't the problem with the old Stampendous cling stamps nearly the same problem as currently produced SU cling sets when the sticker is used? I'm going to google what workaround Stampendous did.
My "workaround" for any/all stamps, regardless of whether they have known issues or not, is to go bare rubber. I know that many prefer cling, but I'm offering this as an alternative to tossing them (blasphemy!) - a "last-ditch effort", if you will...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

My personal opinion (and it comes from years of experience) is that if one wants to have an unmounted stamp (not on wood block) that still has cushion, then the only thing that is reliable is cling foam cushion by itself. That means no index, no extra "cling" vinyl that is supposed to stick to the block, but doesn't. Any glue that you add to the back of the stamp is affected by water (and all cleaners are water-based) and they just become a mess. Too sticky, no sticky, you get the picture. I don't want to have to "fiddle around" trying to find something that is just right.

I have to admit to liking the cling foam. I don't have to worry about how to stick the bare rubber to my storage sheets. I don't have to worry about how to stick the bare rubber to a block or to my MISTI.

I will go a little off-topic though, to add that you should not leave either a cling foam stamp or a photopolymer stamp stuck to a block for an extended period of time. It will damage the block. Ask me how I know that one!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

I was going to PM you Fionna, but I think others besides me might want to know-how are you separating the clings so that you can re-cling it with fresh cling? I know they say to put a wood block in the micro for 10 seconds....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

So far the existing cling has come off pretty well. I don't do anything special.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I was going to PM you Fionna, but I think others besides me might want to know-how are you separating the clings so that you can re-cling it with fresh cling? I know they say to put a wood block in the micro for 10 seconds....
I have found that a few minutes in the freezer is less messy than the microwave. The microwave method works, but it makes the adhesive gooey and the freezer sort of "solidifies" it or something, so most of the time the rubber peels off cleanly. There are a few exceptions, of course (most noticeably Inkadinkado wood- or cling foam-mounted stamps), and I use Goof Off (not Goo Gone) on those...

Reply With Quote Likes