Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with cutting intricate dies

Spellbinder dies cut terrible by snoangel at Splitcoaststampers

This is a copy of my reply to the thread about dies being terrible to cut. After much discussion this is one remedy I came up with to cut the dies. Works for me!

I hope everyone gets to the end of this thread to read what worked for me in my search for how to cut the intricate Spellbinder Dies or any other dies they are having trouble with. In a conquer mode I just went in to my art room and used a metal plate with my Cuttlebug; sandwich is a SP die, wax paper, cardstock on metal plate on B and A plates with C plate on top to cut. Though I was a little worried that I had to crank really hard, it only took 2 passes, turning the die once more to get a beautiful cut. I tried this same sandwich on my Grand Caliber and quit after only a tiny bit as I didn't want to force it through. So, a thin metal plate is the key to cutting with the Cuttlebug those intricate dies! Voila!

Read more: Spellbinder dies cut terrible by snoangel at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by dottiejdavis; 04-12-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Where did you get the metal plate? I have some issues with my A2 bracket borders not cutting all the way through...I have to make 4-5 passes...I've tried to put a piece of paper on top and that helps some but not much...I've tried in both the GC and CB...I also use wax paper which is a must.

My little Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

This is where I got mine: Memory Box - Metal Adaptor Plate
At Frantic Stamper. If you havent ordered from there before, she is GREAT. I know a lot of people on this site order from her. Prompt service, fast shipping, never had a bad experience. And, I used my metal plate tonight for the first time and it made all the difference in the world. Love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

These are the things that work for me.
1. I use a magnetic pad and a metal plate
2. I also line the die with packing tape so it will release easier. (on the first cut put tape on the inside of the die and then cut a piece of cardstock. Remove the cardstock and the tape that is around the edges and areas that are not the die).
3. If I need to I spot shim the die with several small pieces of tape in the areas that are not cutting.
Most of the time I only need one swipe but sometimes when I need two I rotate the die 1/4 turn.
All of these tips are subject to variation since not all cutting machines are the same. Experiment seems to be the rule.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Help with cutting intricate dies

I have not had any trouble with cutting any dies on my (old) bug. Even with warped plates I simply use cardstock shims over the places that do not cut through the first time. Of course there are always some that seemm to require passing the die through the bug a couple of times. Tried a friends metal plate, and did not find it worked any better than the shims i use.

I have heard that some people here use metal flashing with good results and cheaper ( lol). The only dies I gave up on are the ``Whispers`` by Die Versions with the pads on them, however I hear they have changed their dies and I have not tried any of the newer ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

I would like to share something I found to help with cutting intricate dies: Last night, I was trying to cut out the Spellbinders "Opulent Opals" -- a beautiful die, but I was spending WAY too much time picking little pieces of the cuts out, and many would not release at all! So, I tried this: Using my Cuttlebug, I put the A plate down, a C plate, the die cutting-side up, a piece of household wax paper to cover the die, my cardstock, then a B plate. I THINK that is the sandwich recipe....regardless, the wax paper goes OVER the die, UNDER the cardstock. I ran that sucker through, and BAM!!! -- give it a couple of "flicks" and out comes your cut piece!!! I was SO EXCITED to find something that actually WORKED for me!! I only wish I would have thought of that before I wasted so much time trying the traditional method! I hope others will find this works for them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Oh, dear....I just read some of the previous posts, and I see that someone has already suggested the wax paper..... I'm sorry for the repeat -- I thought I had read all of the posts before I sent mine...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanaZieglerView Post
Oh, dear....I just read some of the previous posts, and I see that someone has already suggested the wax paper..... I'm sorry for the repeat -- I thought I had read all of the posts before I sent mine...
And the post is over a year and a half old! I've responded to some old ones too! LOL So while I'm here, I will tell you that Karen Burniston does an awesome youtube tutorial on using dryer sheets and it works even better than the wax paper! Check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
And the post is over a year and a half old! I've responded to some old ones too! LOL So while I'm here, I will tell you that Karen Burniston does an awesome youtube tutorial on using dryer sheets and it works even better than the wax paper! Check it out.
This is definitely the way to go - it's magical!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Actually, the dryer sheets work so well it's almost hard to believe until you try it. I have dies that I love the look of, but have avoided using because of how difficult it is to get the cardstock out of the die without tearing it. It's like I was just gifted those dies all over again
Reply With Quote Likes