Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoyceView Post
My daughter has a Cameo Silhouette, and she has cut out stamped images for me with amazing precision. So the answer to your question is Yes.
I would not be interested if you had to cut a blank piece of paper and then stamp on it--I would never get it precisely placed, even with a Stamp-a-ma-Jig.

I'm tempted to get the Portrait, but have asked her to tell me how important she thinks the LCD screen and SD card are. I'll share her answers . . . .
This is not exactly correct. For the eclips, you can cut pre-stamped images, but from what I can tell, only with stamps that have templates for the eclips which allow you to puncture your paper in the correct area to create registration marks. I do not own an eclips so I am unsure if this can be accomplished with stamps that do not have pre-made templates. You cannot create registration marks on an original stamped image for silhouette. You can however import the image into the software and make it a print and cut. I personally prefer the look of an ink stamped image rather than a printed one so I am stuck with making a blank to stamp upon. If your daughter has found a way to actually cut around an original stamped and colored image, I would love to know how she does this since I would prefer her method over stamping on a blank shape.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
If your daughter has found a way to actually cut around an original stamped and colored image, I would love to know how she does this since I would prefer her method over stamping on a blank shape.
Yes, she has! :-) I spent the afternoon with her, and she walked me through some of the techniques.

Before we get to that, I asked her about the lack of SD card and LCD display on the new Portrait. She said she had forgotten that the Silhouette even had an SD card until I mentioned it. She's had the machine for almost a year, and has never used the SD card; she keeps her files on her computer. She also said the LCD screen is completely redundant, since all the prompts are on the computer screen.

I've attached two examples of today's session. Both of these images were stamped first on a piece of cardstock, and then cut out with the Cameo Silhouette. You can see how precise it is, around the snowman's twig arms and carrot nose. Obviously, I could have colored them first if I'd wanted to, but this was just a cutting lesson/experiment. And of course, I can still color them.

She did say it is easier to cut a digital image that's already in your computer. She cut this Mo Manning image for me last summer. The bride and groom are cut out and popped up on dimensionals in front of the motorcycle.

Silhouette Cameo cutting example by bejoyce - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

It is also easier to cut out a blank shape and then stamp on it, but I was going for precision and was interested in seeing how she would cut around an image that was already stamped on a small piece of cardstock

OK, now for anyone who wants to see her tutorial, it is here. BTW, she's an engineer, so you probably want to skip the part labeled "Cutting Mylar for Solder Stencils."

I must add that although I found the demonstration fascinating, it did take some time. Granted, she was going slowly so I could understand what she was doing, and I did ask some questions. However, as you read her tutorial, you'll see that to go through the steps like the snowman, it takes a good bit of setup time if you want a precise cut. If you're doing multiple iterations of a given image, it can be done assembly-line fashion and it goes much faster after it's set up.

I'm impressed, and still leaning toward buying a Profile when they come out!
Attached Thumbnails
Have you seen the new Silhouette Portrait?-silhouette_cuts.jpg  
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215

Last edited by bejoyce; 10-10-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Barbara,
You have made my day and I'm doing a happy dance! I saved your daughters tutorial to my favorites and can't wait to give it a try. There are more steps involved, but I much prefer being able to cut my images after stamping and coloring. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Arizona, you're most welcome! Enjoy!
SCS Fan Club Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #45  
Hardware Hotshot

Barbara tell your daughter thank you! We are eternally grateful for all of the time it took her to explain this.

I saved the tutorial for later. I don't have a Silhouette yet

On a side note, my name is also Barbara and I have a daughter Kathy spelled with a K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
I don't think you are correct about felt. I have a cut file from Silhouette's store that is made for cutting felt to make a coffee to go cup cozy. So I am assuming it would cut felt. I've not tried it yet, but I am guessing the person or company that is selling that cut file on their site has successfully cut felt.
You piqued my curiosity. I looked up tutorials for felt.

This lady actually did cut felt with her Cameo. She had to finish the project using scissors- Cutting Felt with a Die-Cutting Machine:. By the picture it does look like she used regular craft felt.

Here's another felt project from a different blogger- SewNso's Sewing Journal: Sewing with Silhouette Cameo. Her project came out a lot better. She used a higher quality felt.

I also went to Silhouette America's official FAQ to get the low down on felt. I wanted to know if they changed it. When I write what materials these machines can cut I always check the official FAQ so I don't blow up machines. With so many customers trying different materials with the Cameo now I wondered if Silhouette revised it.

Here's the FAQ- Silhouette Support

This is the answer to the felt question-

"What materials can the Silhouette cut?"
The Silhouette is designed to cut film materials (such as vinyl), paper and cardstock materials (up to 90 lb weight). It has a cutting force of 210gf. The Cameo includes a blade that will be able to extend to approximately 1 mm in depth to accommodate thicker media types. However, there is still a limitation depending on the media type's density and make up. Certain materials that are overly dense, such as thin metals, for example, would not be able to be cut and would impair the blade. Certain materials that have abrasive natures, such as chipboard or sandpaper would also impair the blade or dull it very quickly. On the other side of the spectrum, certain fibrous materials may not be able to be held together densely enough to be successfully cut by a blade-driven cutting device, such as felt or handmade paper. So while the Cameo is able to handle thicker materials, there are still limitations depending on the material’s density and/or nature.

The Silhouette will cut patterned paper, most cardstock, vellum, iron-on heat transfer material, vinyl, overhead transparency film, fabric (when using our Interfacing products) and sticker paper among other materials. Individual results may vary. Again, please note, that certain materials that are more dense (such as shrink plastic, foam, chipboard, leather) or overly fibrous in nature (such as felt) cannot be cut by the Silhouette, even if they fit within the thickness range noted above.

I hope that helps you all if your looking to cut these type of materials. I am sorry for any confusion I caused. I don't sell these machines or work with any of my die cutters professionally. I just enjoy answering questions about them and trying to help out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Yes, she has! :-) I spent the afternoon with her, and she walked me through some of the techniques.

Before we get to that, I asked her about the lack of SD card and LCD display on the new Portrait. She said she had forgotten that the Silhouette even had an SD card until I mentioned it. She's had the machine for almost a year, and has never used the SD card; she keeps her files on her computer. She also said the LCD screen is completely redundant, since all the prompts are on the computer screen.

I've attached two examples of today's session. Both of these images were stamped first on a piece of cardstock, and then cut out with the Cameo Silhouette. You can see how precise it is, around the snowman's twig arms and carrot nose. Obviously, I could have colored them first if I'd wanted to, but this was just a cutting lesson/experiment. And of course, I can still color them.

She did say it is easier to cut a digital image that's already in your computer. She cut this Mo Manning image for me last summer. The bride and groom are cut out and popped up on dimensionals in front of the motorcycle.

Silhouette Cameo cutting example by bejoyce - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

It is also easier to cut out a blank shape and then stamp on it, but I was going for precision and was interested in seeing how she would cut around an image that was already stamped on a small piece of cardstock

OK, now for anyone who wants to see her tutorial, it is here. BTW, she's an engineer, so you probably want to skip the part labeled "Cutting Mylar for Solder Stencils."

I must add that although I found the demonstration fascinating, it did take some time. Granted, she was going slowly so I could understand what she was doing, and I did ask some questions. However, as you read her tutorial, you'll see that to go through the steps like the snowman, it takes a good bit of setup time if you want a precise cut. If you're doing multiple iterations of a given image, it can be done assembly-line fashion and it goes much faster after it's set up.

I'm impressed, and still leaning toward buying a Profile when they come out!
Thanks to you and your daughter, Barbara. This may push me over the edge to buy the Portrait as well!
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Barbara,
Thanks for sharing your daughter's tutorial. Very in depth and enlightening. I am really wanting to get a Cameo. I would use the larger cuts for the scrapbooking and altering items that I do.

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

It appears that way according to how the Silhouette FAQs are written. I'm wondering now if it is worth the upgrade to a Cameo just for a 12 inch cutting surface. I was looking at upgrading to a zing, but changed my mind when discussions on various blogs made it appear the Cameo had a greater cutting force than the SD. Also, Why would they bother coming out with the portrait. Why not just continue offering the SD. If the portrait also has the same cutting force as the SD, and the SD can take advantage of the new longer blade, then the Portrait is a lesser machine by way of fewer features since it does not accept SD cards and lacks an LCD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I don't understand why they came out with the portrait either.
Compared to the Silhouette, smaller, lighter, $100 less, same functionality, for those who don't need 12" x 12".
SCS Fan Club Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awe....the silhouette machines are looking better and better. I'm not really looking but...this discussion has really got me interested. Don't like having to have to have all those cartridges like the cricut. Thanks for the tutorial link from your daughter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Compared to the Silhouette, smaller, lighter, $100 less, same functionality, for those who don't need 12" x 12".
yes, compared to the cameo, but I was comparing it to the SD. The portrait is basically an SD with the LCD screen and SD card slot removed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

They discontinued the SD when they started selling the Cameo. I actually never understood the usefulness of the LCD or the SD card capability. I always took my laptop along with my machine when I travelled with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #54  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Does anyone know if SCAL software be used with the Portrait?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

It appears that way according to how the Silhouette FAQs are written. I'm wondering now if it is worth the upgrade to a Cameo just for a 12 inch cutting surface. I was looking at upgrading to a zing, but changed my mind when discussions on various blogs made it appear the Cameo had a greater cutting force than the SD. Also, Why would they bother coming out with the portrait. Why not just continue offering the SD. If the portrait also has the same cutting force as the SD, and the SD can take advantage of the new longer blade, then the Portrait is a lesser machine by way of fewer features since it does not accept SD cards and lacks an LCD.
I have a migraine and not feeling to good. If I sound grumpy early apologies. I don't know if this will help but the KNK Zine is at 750 gsm. That is like three time the amount of the Cameo.

Here's the specs- KNK Zing - KNKUSA.COM :: KNKUSA.COM

In some of my posts over here I wrote the Zing was at 500 gsm. I was wrong. I think I got it bumbled when all the newer machines made the influx at CHA. Information overload, lol. I don't have a Zing. I think KNK machines are great. I have always liked them.

I keep hearing from other blogs and forums too that the Cameo is at 330gsm. Silhouette says it's at 210gsm. This is my own personal observation after owning several Graphtec machines. I can't figure out how the Cameo is at 330gsm. It's so light and fragile. I keep thinking anything heavy goes in that machine it will blow up. I have a Gazelle at 500gsm and it's also very light but it's all metal and designed for heavy duty cutting. The Cameo looks like it's designed to be a vinyl cutter.

I really do understand why everyone is trying different materials in it since the Cameo was one of the most affordable options after PC stopped MTC and SCAL. I remember when all of us early Cricut users bought our Cricut's we were sticking all sorts of material in it too, lol.

The Silhouette SD taking different materials due to the longer blade. I want to say yes too. I remember clearly the girls over at the Yahoo board buying aluminum blade holders for their SD's & Wishblade to cut chipboard. It used to be a popular topic. I was going to buy the blade holder but decided on the Gazelle instead for heavy cutting.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Ok that makes sense then. Why bother discontinuing one and introducing another almost the same? :confused: Still sounds like provo craft to me.
Gale, I thought that too. It's ProvoCraft redux. The crazy angel policy made me think that. Now, this Portrait release. I tried to buy an SD when my other one broke. The prices were outrageous. I bought the Cameo instead. Now, Silhouette comes out with the SD all over again. Thank you for posting that.

Before I posted this I went over to Graphtec America to see if I could find specs on the Cameo and their other cutters. I was really wanting to know if this is a 330GSM machine. I was wondering if it's a hybrid cutter of the other Graphtec.

There is a PDF spec sheet for the Cameo. I am putting this in bold to highlight

The Cameo is 210gf Here's the spec sheet- Graphtec America: Cutting Plotters, Vinyl Cutters, InkJet Printers, Wide Format Image Scanners, Data Loggers, Acquisition platforms, Electronic Testing Instruments, Cameo Cutter Scroll all the way to the bottom and it's a PDF.

Here's Graphtec's official American site- Graphtec America: Cutting Plotters, Vinyl Cutters, InkJet Printers, Wide Format Image Scanners, Data Loggers, Acquisition platforms, Electronic Testing Instruments, Craft Robo, Silhouette Craft Cutter, Cameo� Personal Cutter

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, it looks like I'm now going to have to seriously consider whether to go with the Zing or Cameo. I literally have thousands of silhouette files so I'll just have to keep my SD for those, and get the Zing for bigger projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Well, it looks like I'm now going to have to seriously consider whether to go with the Zing or Cameo. I literally have thousands of silhouette files so I'll just have to keep my SD for those, and get the Zing for bigger projects.
Quote:

Technically, you could cut other things with them. You would have to do a fill in silhouette studio, screen shot, and then trace in another program. It would definitely be something I would do as I need them and not all at once.
I'll be posting a method of converting your .studio files to .svg on my blog. I'm hoping to have the tutorial finished and up on my blog by Sunday. So those of us with a few files (I have over 1200) can use other cutting software. I'm hoping by early spring I will be the proud owner of a new Zing - which uses MTC - and will still be able to use the Silhouette files I purchased.

Also, I'll be posting a tutorial on my method to fix Silhouette print & cut. Its been an issue with it not lining up for a lot of users, and I finally sat down and bashed out a method today that will give virtually perfectly aligned print & cuts.

So if you're interested, check my blog Sunday afternoon (I sleep late on the weekends )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm looking forward to your tutorials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

Barbara, I appreciate your daughter's tutorial and thank you for sharing it! I've been thinking about getting a Cameo just for being able to cut stamped images and digital images but from all the research I'd done so far, and it's been a lot, I haven't found one source that described the How To steps as clearly as your daughter has. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #61  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Barbara, your daughter's tutorial is amazing !! Thanks so much for sharing it with us
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #62  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks so much to all of you who have commented on my daughter's tutorial. I've relayed your comments to her, and she is thrilled that her tutorial has been so helpful to you.
SCS Fan Club Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #63  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi ladies, I was wondering if the Cameo portrait would cut 220gsm card? I make cards mostly and i'm tempted to buy an electronic cutting machine but need one that will cut through card stock as this is what i would use it mostly for..
thanks for the great info on this machine..
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #64  
Insane Embellisher

Has anyone received a Portrait yet? I was wondering if it does everything a Cameo does, just with a smaller cutting surface (8" wide vs. 12"). I really want a cutting machine for SVG files so I no longer have to hand-cut templates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #65  
Mad Swapper

I think it was just made available this week. Most places online that I've looked are giving a Dec. 1 as the available date. I'm thinking very seriously about getting one. I make mostly cards and smaller projects. From what I've read the Portrait has the same capabilities as the Cameo, just a smaller cutting surface.

The best things in life are the people we love, the places we've been and the memories we've made along the way - unknown

SCS Gallery

Check out my blog!!
Reply With Quote Likes