Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Catherine, I don't think there are that many problems with the GC, it seems to be only a few who are posting here with problems out of the majority of us on SCS who have GCs. So many of us love ours, and have no problems with them.

I feel really bad that there are some defective machines, but it looks like Spellbinders is trying to help.

I'm sort of wondering why you are considering a Cuttlebug when you already have a BS? I have the Big Kick, (the same thing as BS), and can't see any point in getting a Cuttlebug too, since the only advantages of the Cuttlebug seem to be portability. They both take the same size paper.

I would look at a bigger machine, like the larger Sizzix one or the GC rather than another smaller one. I bought the GC mainly because of it's size, but I do like the fact that I seem to get better embossing with the Spellbinders type dies in the GC than I did in the BK, and I don't have to worry about shims. I can also cut and emboss more dies at once with the larger machine, which really saves time.

Unless you are looking for portability, I would look at a larger machine rather than one which is the same size. I'm loving my GC, and the large dies so I can make shaped cards.

(I'm not putting down the Cuttlebug in any way, it's a very nice machine, but there are so many advantages to the larger ones that if you already have a small one, why not upgrade and have the best of both worlds).
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

well, my only problem is user error! LOL

I read the plate stacks as the layering and put my rubber mat on top and it got caught up in the roller.

totally my fault. I emailed Spellbinders and when I finally get it shipped to them, they will fix it. As this is my error, I do not mind having to pay the freight to them.

I have loved my GC!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathi17View Post
Hi Catherine, I don't think there are that many problems with the GC, it seems to be only a few who are posting here with problems out of the majority of us on SCS who have GCs. So many of us love ours, and have no problems with them.

I feel really bad that there are some defective machines, but it looks like Spellbinders is trying to help.

I'm sort of wondering why you are considering a Cuttlebug when you already have a BS? I have the Big Kick, (the same thing as BS), and can't see any point in getting a Cuttlebug too, since the only advantages of the Cuttlebug seem to be portability. They both take the same size paper.

I would look at a bigger machine, like the larger Sizzix one or the GC rather than another smaller one. I bought the GC mainly because of it's size, but I do like the fact that I seem to get better embossing with the Spellbinders type dies in the GC than I did in the BK, and I don't have to worry about shims. I can also cut and emboss more dies at once with the larger machine, which really saves time.

Unless you are looking for portability, I would look at a larger machine rather than one which is the same size. I'm loving my GC, and the large dies so I can make shaped cards.

(I'm not putting down the Cuttlebug in any way, it's a very nice machine, but there are so many advantages to the larger ones that if you already have a small one, why not upgrade and have the best of both worlds).
Hi Kathi, thanks for the explanation. The main reason why I wanted to get the GC is because I wanted to create a frame with the Nestabilities dies but some how the results were disappointing. Then I located a video on how to make a frame and the author was using the Wizard with fantastic results. After viewing the video over and over again, tried many times with my BS, still couldn't get good results. Maybe I've done something incorrectly. I have no idea.

Yes, you are right that the logical choice is the GC because of the size. Do you have any idea if the GC also uses a magnetic sheet to keep the dies in place?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Trying using a bit of blue masking tape or washi tape for keeping your dies in place.

a little bit works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #45  
Kookie Creator

I agree with Lazorkay, whenever I need to make sure the dies stay in the right place, I use a less sticky type of tape to make sure they don't move. I use tape for frames, to keep them at the proper distance from each other, or when I am die cutting a stamp and want to make sure it stays centered.

I took the little shelf thing out of mine because I run 8 1/2" x 11" paper through it all the time.

The only thing I wish for in the GC is that it was just 1/2" or so wider. It's just a hair narrow for the standard letter sized paper, but it does work well on it anyway!

I use my GC daily, and only use my BK for a few things now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

I soo wish it was a tad wider!

I can't get that white shelf thing out! AUGGGG LOL

I have to trim my paper about 1/4" if I use a whole piece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #47  
Kookie Creator

It was quite a struggle getting it out if I remember, that's why I never put it back! I just followed the instructions and worked at it until I got it.

The width being just a hair too narrow almost seems like a design flaw that was realized after it was manufactured.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatherineMView Post
Hi Kathi, thanks for the explanation. The main reason why I wanted to get the GC is because I wanted to create a frame with the Nestabilities dies but some how the results were disappointing. Then I located a video on how to make a frame and the author was using the Wizard with fantastic results. After viewing the video over and over again, tried many times with my BS, still couldn't get good results. Maybe I've done something incorrectly. I have no idea.

Yes, you are right that the logical choice is the GC because of the size. Do you have any idea if the GC also uses a magnetic sheet to keep the dies in place?

Thanks again.
The Grand Calibur does not use the magnetic spacer plate that the Wizard used. I have a Wizard and a Grand Calibur and I notice no difference in cutting/embossing pressure. Both machines are equally powerful!! I love the size of the Grand Calibur. I had my hubby take out the white tray that came in my Grand Calibur and 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of cardstock fits perfectly without trimming.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #49  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
The Grand Calibur does not use the magnetic spacer plate that the Wizard used. I have a Wizard and a Grand Calibur and I notice no difference in cutting/embossing pressure. Both machines are equally powerful!! I love the size of the Grand Calibur. I had my hubby take out the white tray that came in my Grand Calibur and 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of cardstock fits perfectly without trimming.

It's a tough choice between the GC and the Wizard. I love the GC size and I also love the simplicity of the Wizard in terms of 'what you see is what you get' look and functionality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
I soo wish it was a tad wider!

I can't get that white shelf thing out! AUGGGG LOL

I have to trim my paper about 1/4" if I use a whole piece.
An easy way to get the tray out is to put together the embossing sandwich, base plate, tan embossing mat and embossing plate. You don't need anything else inside the sandwich. Run it through the Grand Calibur from the "back" side of the machine - basically in reverse. That pushes the tray out and makes it easy to remove.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

This is one machine I completely regret buying. Since only thin dies will fit through I still need to keep my cuttlebug. Also I agree with all the previous poster in regards to the sticky mat, not attaching to my work surface and the false advertising in regards to the 8.5x11 sheet of paper being used in the machine. I really wanted to love this machine and cut the larger shapes for my scrapbooking. However one cannot use the standard 8.5x11 sheet of paper in it like it mentions. Mine has now become an expensive dust collector. Save your money or buy a Big Shot Pro.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

LOL...this has been very interesting reading. I've come so close to buying the Grand Calibur, then I read this thread and now I'm not so sure. I want it to cut the larger sized dies, for various craft projects but I'm worried to read about handles breaking, metal flying and cuts not coming out even etc. I live in Australia...so I really don't need to be sending it back to the US for fixing if it breaks. That'd cost a bomb!

I love my cuttlebug...it has been going perfectly for years...wish it came in a larger size.

Think I'll defer my decision a little longer.

Thanks for the feedback ladies. Both the good and the bad!
:-)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #53  
Kookie Creator

Gosh, I'm so sorry to read about people who either had problems with their Grand Calibur or people who aren't buying it because a few people had problems. I just wanted to say again, that I've had my GC for over a year now, and have used it almost every day since I got it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't quite fit 8 1/5 x 11 paper. I love everything else about it, and I use the GC for almost every single card I make.

I have had my Sizzix Big Kick for over two years. Even before I bought my GC I didn't use the BK all that much. I really didn't like many of their dies. I started using it more when the Spellbinders dies came out, but not on a daily basis. It was a pain to have to cut each die separately because the platform was so small. Even though I had the longer plates, they only worked with the fat dies because the multi purpose platform was smaller. Probably you could order a larger one, I don't know, but I never saw any in the stores.

I still use the Big Kick for embossing folders and Sizzix and cuttlebug dies, but never for Cheery Lynn, Marianne, Spellbinders or any of those thin dies. I love being able to cut the Grand dies for shaped cards, or a lot of smaller dies at one time. My cuts always come out even, and it's easy to cut stamped things in exactly the right places just by using a tiny bit of tape.

I feel like I had to add my two cents because so many people seem to not want the GC because a few people had problems with it. I also understand that there now is a raspberry plate that will enable you to use embossing folders and things like Cuttlebug and the thin Sizzix dies. I can certainly understand why we can't use the really fat dies, and that isn't an issue for me.

I really like the fact that other than the fat Sizzix dies, all companies seem to be making most of their machines, embossing folders and dies compatible with each other. It gives us so many choices. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have my GC back from spellbinders - It took me a bit to send it to them, but they even checked back with me to see if I had sent it to them.

They fixed my screw up and even included a new embossing pad in my machine.

I can't wait to get back to using it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #55  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you for your support of the Grand Calibur everyone! Spellbinders stands behind our products and we aim to have the highest quality customer service available. There are literally a handful of issues with the thousands upon thousands of Grand Calibur machines we send out. We truly appreciate all feedback... as it helps us to be the company our consumers expect. And of course... the positive feedback and support is an amazing thing to read. Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #56  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatherineMView Post
I was considering getting a GC but now with all those problems.....am not so sure now perhaps will look at a Cuttlebug instead. I already have a BigShot.
I've had my GC from the start and have not had any problems with it.

Neither the Cuttlebug nor the Big Shot accommodate the larger dies in the Spellbinders Grand sets.

And if you have a Big Shot, you don't need a Cuttlebug since they take all the same dies/embossing folders/etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #57  
Inking Addict

Default Grand Calibur

I know I'm probably really late with this response, but thought I'd share my Grand Calibur story. When my Calibur broke (loose something inside) I contacted Spellbinders. They picked it up at my home (UPS) no charge, repaired it No Charge and then shipped it back no charge. I had it returned in about a week I think. I was very impressed with their Customer Service and the quick way they fixed it and returned it. But I am a little aprehensive when I use it. Doesn't seem to take cuttlebug folders to easily and I'm afraid to use it. I like my Cuttlebug much more, and wish they would build a bigger one.

Last edited by jonnytar; 08-24-2012 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: missed 2 words
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #58  
Kookie Creator

Hi Jonnytar, I think to use the GC for embossing folders, you have to have something called a raspberry plate. I assume it's thinner than the other plates, since the embossing folders are thicker than the dies. If I remember right, I think you can also use the thin Cuttlebug and Sizzix dies with that as well.

I think my GC does a better job with cutting and embossing the Spellbinders dies than my Sizzix, probably because it was made for those. I always use my Big Kick for embossing folders, since I don't have the raspberry plate yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #59  
Glitter Queen

You can get the large raspberry plate online! I got mine and the GC is the bomb!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Default I had the same problems

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchieView Post
Is anyone else having this problem? Well, four problems actually . . .

I thought I was going to love my new Grand Calibur but I'm disappointed with a few features . . .

1. The little lever thingy is too small. I don't want to have to fasten it to the very edge of my table but the knob is too shallow and too low to the table, that if I put it further in I need pliers just to get it unsuctioned. I feel like it's going to break.

2. The rubber matt sticks to my paper like mad! half the time my paper tears trying to get it off the matt. I've washed it with warm soapy water several times, but it just keeps sticking.

3. The rubber matt stretches and moves my papers during the embossing. This is driving me mad too. So much wasted paper. I even use post it's to help hold it in place but that's not working either.

4. I bought the GC for the sole reason of being able to cut multiple dies at once, however it seems I can only use about the center third with any kind of reliable success. That puts me back down to the CB standard plate size working space.

I'm terribly afraid that my $159 has gone to waste because I have a pretty new toy that's just not working for me and it's been cast into the shadows while my CB enjoys the light of day.

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one. *sigh*
I had a Big Shot to begin with and had it for a long time. It broke the night before I had a big workshop so I had to get something to replace it. I went to Hobby Lobby and got the Grand Calibur. I hated it, for all the reasons you have stated. I gave it away and now have my Big Shot back. I will never stray again!

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathi17View Post
Hi Jonnytar, I think to use the GC for embossing folders, you have to have something called a raspberry plate. I assume it's thinner than the other plates, since the embossing folders are thicker than the dies. If I remember right, I think you can also use the thin Cuttlebug and Sizzix dies with that as well.

I think my GC does a better job with cutting and embossing the Spellbinders dies than my Sizzix, probably because it was made for those. I always use my Big Kick for embossing folders, since I don't have the raspberry plate yet.
My local Hobby Lobby carries the raspberry plate. I got it when I purchased some Spellbinder embossing folders. It works great with CB folders!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #62  
Cardstock Collector

Default probs with raspberry plate

I followed the instructions on the spellbinders website on how to use the raspberry plate with cuttlebug embossing folders I have only used it about 10 times and it has snapped right through the middle I have twice sent contacts through their website but have heard nothing I have now just emailed Kelly to see if she can help but not holding out much hope
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 03:55 AM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Spellbinder websitesite to let them know the handle broke on my GC. They responded withing 24 hours and I had a replacement by the end of the week. Call them rather than use the website so you can talk to someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #64  
Cardstock Collector

Default raspberry plate

Thank you prairiepapercrafter i have used the website contact button twice and not had a reply and as i live in the UK it would be far to expensive for me to call them direct, I suppose i will just have to give up as not very confident of using the grand caliber now and it is going to get very expensive if i have to keep replacing the raspberry plate may just think about getting a big shot and sell the grand caliber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Spellbinders has great customer service and I hope they get back with you soon!

I love my GC!

Did you happen to see if there are seperate emails for USA and International customers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #66  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Moyag,

So sorry that you haven't gotten a reply yet from Customer Service. I will absolutely follow up on that. If you could please send me an email at [email protected] and I can help move things along for you. My name is Kelly and I handle Spellbinders Social Media and Community Development. As Karen said above, we pride ourselves on customer service and will absolutely help you and anyone else who has issues with anything related to Spellbinders.

Kelly Loubet
Social Media and Community Developer
Spellbinders Paper Arts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

I too love my GC! Have no regrets with this purchase. I use my Cuttlebug all the time and have them both setup for use, no need for raspberry plate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #68  
Kookie Creator

I bought my Raspberry Plate a few weeks ago, and I love it. I don't have room to leave both my Big Kick and Grand Calibur set up at the same time, so for me it is a big help to only have to use one machine unless I need to use one of my thick Sizzix dies. If I had room for both, I wouldn't have needed it. Now, it's so much easier than swapping machines back and forth all the time. Maybe some day I will have room to use them both at the same time! (I do think I will probably still cut my thin Cuttlebig and Sizzix dies with the Big Kick though, since I am used to it).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #69  
Cardstock Collector

Default raspberry plate

I want to say a big big thank you to Kelly and Karen from spellbinders :o who are going to arrange a new raspberry plate to me You have restored my fatih in customer service

Once again many thanks

Mary xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #70  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by moyagView Post
I want to say a big big thank you to Kelly and Karen from spellbinders :o who are going to arrange a new raspberry plate to me You have restored my fatih in customer service

Once again many thanks

Mary xx
Hooray!! I think Spellbinders is the best company! LOL That's why I love working with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #71  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up raspberry plate

just wanted to say a big thank you to karen from spellbinders I received my replacement raspberry plate today must say spellbinders is the best

once again thanks

moyag
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #72  
Cardstock Collector

Default Grand Calibur Problems

I have been reading on here about the problems you have been having with the Grand Calibur.
I have had mine for just over a year and about a month ago it broke.
The plastic plates inside the machine had broken so I contacted Sue Wilson at Creative Expressions asking for help. Sue very kindly organised replacement plates FOC. Yesterday I used it with the an A4 Embossing Folder and as it when though the machine I heard a large crack again. It now rattles inside so I am guessing the original problem has happened again. I have emailed Spellbinders in the UK and I am waiting a response.
I have read on here that Kelly may be able to help me, so if you read this Kelly, perhaps you could respond.
Man thanks
Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #73  
Cardstock Collector

Smile thank you for the tip of how to get the white platform plate out i have been trying a

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathyCView Post
An easy way to get the tray out is to put together the embossing sandwich, base plate, tan embossing mat and embossing plate. You don't need anything else inside the sandwich. Run it through the Grand Calibur from the "back" side of the machine - basically in reverse. That pushes the tray out and makes it easy to remove.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #74  
Matboard Maniac

Default Spellbinders is a great company to deal with.

Hi there, I recently was on this blog looking for information about how to fix my Grand Calibur machine, it was making some clunking noises and something metal was rolling around in the base of the machine. I contacted Spellbinders and they sent me instructions on how to open it up and then fix it...the response was quick and they helped me figure out what was wrong and then helped me to get the machine fixed.
I would recommend the machine for this reason alone, but it also cuts skinny dies better than anything else and you can cut out so many images at once, it is awesome.
The JOY of the Lord is my strength....Nehemiah8:10(NIV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #75  
Cardstock Collector

I have not used mine again since it broke for a second time. A friend of mine has kindly let me have the one she had as wanted to have the latest colour or Purple.
She has had it just over a year but only used it once, however when I put my dies through the machine I can feel a resistance and although the handle does turn it seems to catch every so often. I am really disapointed as I though my original machine could have been faulty but it seems as though I have a similar problem with this one.
Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

I had a GC and hated it. I had some of the same problems. I went back to the Big Shot. Love it.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #77  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi ladies!

If you're having an issue with your Grand Calibur Machine... All you need to do is contact [email protected] and they will help you out right away. Even if you feel your machine beyond warranty... contact us and we'll see what we can do to help you out. Happy crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #78  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you Kelly, I did contact the Customer Support before and was given a name of a person who does repairs in the UK, however to send it to him and receive it back would have cost me almost as much as a new machine.
Christine x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #79  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyLaceView Post
Thank you Kelly, I did contact the Customer Support before and was given a name of a person who does repairs in the UK, however to send it to him and receive it back would have cost me almost as much as a new machine.
Christine x
Hi Christine,

I'm sorry to hear that. Was this recent? We've had a recent policy change.

-Kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #80  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Kelly, it was about this time last year and didn't bother getting in touch again as we spent the winter our in Spain. I was surprised when someone had replied to my original thread as it has been such a long time ago.
Christine
Reply With Quote Likes