Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #81  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
Did you get your Minc? Mine gives 100% coverage every single time, I'm so happy with mine. I use a Canon cheap black print laser, don't know the model number off the top of my head. I have a color Brothers laser, but it's much cheaper to use a one toner printer for this in the long run. I'm anxious to know if your Minc is performing better for you.
My minc shipped today so I'll have it soon and I'll let you know how it works compared to my Royal Soverign. Based on this thread and the price of it, I am expecting perfection LOL

I have a mono laser printer. I also found the toner paper and pre-ordered some of that but I saw one place that said end of april ship and another that said june for the toner paper but I'm ok with either - no rush.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #82  

Ok. Got my Minc today and just ran my first page through - #110 inexpensive cardstock and no special settings on my laser printer. A fairly intricate scroll pattern that covered the entire 8-1/2 x 11.

I give it a 99.5 out of 100 and when I hold it next to anything that I ran through the Royal Sovereign, there is no comparison whatsoever - the Royal Sovereign did not come close to the quality of the Minc. You do get what you pay for.

I deducted 1/2 point from the Minc (LOL I feel like a contest judge...) because I did get 5 very small specs/dots where the foil did not adhere. I'll have to foil some more (I may need a foil intervention bwahaha) and see if those dots were my 'user error'.

So, TWO THUMBS WAY UP FOR THE MINC from this reviewer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #83  
Stazon Splitcoast

My minc arrived today! Will try to make some cards and post pics next week. Cant wait to play!

Last edited by sprtchick; 04-10-2015 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: spelling error.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #84  

Ok, 'foiled again' (I could not resist hahaha). And again, and again, well you get the picture.......this is as additive as making prints with a gelli plate and I mean that in a good way....

Consistently wonderful quality on my inexpensive cardstock using heat setting 3 and there are 2 higher heat settings for thicker material. Not sure how I can use the heat transfer foil on my own chipboard pieces unless I can glue the toner paper to the chipboard and then I'm not sure what the glue would do in the Minc, so NOT gonna try that without checking with Heidi Swapp...

A few additional notes, this machine heats up really fast - love that. Also it shuts off automatically after 90 minutes of non-use (I have not tested the auto shutoff, but Heidi says it does this in one of her videos). And I ordered additional transfer folders so that I don't have to wait for the 12 x 12 to go through if I am just foiling something small.

You are gonna LOVE this, Amber !!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

I put thru the test/sample images with some deco foils and they are so pretty. I will be playing with this new tool tomorrow or Monday. I have so many ideas and foil enough to do half the neighborhood. Will post pics soon. I am so glad I got the minc!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2015, 06:11 AM   #86  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Using transfer foil with iron?

So transfer foil seems to be all the rage these days and I decided to get some and try out. I don't want to buy an extra piece of equipment just for that so I don't want to get the laminator. However I read about people using iron, even a printer instead of laminator. So I have both of those a shot but none worked for me.

With the iron I tried on a hard surface aa well as a soft surface but the result was nowhere close.

With the printer, I trapped the foil onto the laser printed design and then sent it again through the printer. That didn't work either.

anybody has experience with either of these techniques? I've seen photos on people's blogs and they got really good results. So I just can't get it why I'm not getting them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #87  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks gale for your explanation! Yes I looked at Jennifer's videos and that's what got me so tempted

Apparently people have tried using laser printer for the second step too (http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2...r-method.html)!

I tried the heat embossing too and not even a speck of foil transferred for me :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #88  
Pearl-ExPert

For people who've used the iron to successfully transfer the design can they please give any tips?

I tried a couple of ways with iron and got nothing but frustration. Here's what I tried:
1. Clear heat emboss a stamped image and then use the iron for transferring.
2. Print using laser printer and then transfer using an iron.
3. Used iron with wool setting and a copier paper on top of the foil.
4. Used iron on a hard surface as well as a soft.
5. Used iron with nylon setting and directly ironed over the foil.

In one of these above variations (I tried so many things that I forgot which one) I somewhat acceptable results but it wasn't reproducible.

BTW has anybody tried using laser printer for the second step (transferring the foil)? I saw it here: DIY foil cards: a better method | How About Orange. I tried that too but didn't work for me.

P.S. I used the thermoweb's deco foil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #89  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
For people who've used the iron to successfully transfer the design can they please give any tips?

I tried a couple of ways with iron and got nothing but frustration. Here's what I tried:
1. Clear heat emboss a stamped image and then use the iron for transferring.
2. Print using laser printer and then transfer using an iron.
3. Used iron with wool setting and a copier paper on top of the foil.
4. Used iron on a hard surface as well as a soft.
5. Used iron with nylon setting and directly ironed over the foil.

In one of these above variations (I tried so many things that I forgot which one) I somewhat acceptable results but it wasn't reproducible.

BTW has anybody tried using laser printer for the second step (transferring the foil)? I saw it here: DIY foil cards: a better method | How About Orange. I tried that too but didn't work for me.

P.S. I used the thermoweb's deco foil.
This is only my opinion from experimenting. Here are a couple of things I've found. Laser print is actually a fine ground plastic that is melted using the laser heat mechanism. The foil sticks when the laminator or heat source again melts the laser print, as pressure is applied. As it cools the foil is left sticking to the print. The Minc works wonderfully on a setting of 3. Through my research I managed to find, can't recall where, 3 is 160 degrees Celsius or 320 degrees Fahrenheit. Now here's the part I'm not sure about, but my tests lean toward being true. If the heat with pressure is too low the laser print doesn't melt enough for the foil to stick, especially if there isn't enough firm pressure. If the heat source is too high, the laser print embeds into the paper leaving less for the foil to stick to. Try using an iron setting as close to 320 degrees as possible, making sure to allow enough contact time and pressure.

I found iron temps, and the goal is to get as close to 320 degrees or a little higher as possible.

Linen: 230 �C (445 �F)
Triacetate: 200 �C (390 �F)
Cotton: 204 �C (400 �F)
Viscose/Rayon: 190 �C (375 �F)
Wool: 148 �C (300 �F)
Polyester: 148 �C (300 �F)

It's worth a try as long as you already have foil. Keeping my fingers crossed!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 04-13-2015 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #90  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you so much annecards for the detailed response! I tried again with the iron setting it at silk setting. For ironing setup, I put the Teflon may on table, cardstock on it with the foil on top. With this setup it worked! I also found that it worked better on the crafters companion cardstock than pti cardstock. Not sure if it was because it was more smooth or because it was thinner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #91  
Matboard Maniac

I tried the Ranger sticky embossing powder -didn't work too well for me-but borrowed my friend's older laminator-and it worked pretty good-it even has a setting for FOIL!! which seemed a little too hot-wrinkled the paper. ??????????? I am getting foil specks in some spots.. making sure I use embossing buddy before I use fine embossing powder-but still getting some foil where I don't want it-ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #92  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry107View Post
I tried the Ranger sticky embossing powder -didn't work too well for me-but borrowed my friend's older laminator-and it worked pretty good-it even has a setting for FOIL!! which seemed a little too hot-wrinkled the paper. ??????????? I am getting foil specks in some spots.. making sure I use embossing buddy before I use fine embossing powder-but still getting some foil where I don't want it-ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions??
Jennifer McGuire gently scratches the runaway foil specks with a craft knife or piercing tool. I do this with specks of embossing powder and it works for me. I don't think it would work well with large areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #93  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok..got to finish several of these today:I made both gold and silver and the pics dont begin to do them justice. The foil is beautiful.

foiled hot air balloon by sprtchick - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Then I foiled these:

foiled words by sprtchick - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
foiled words 2 by sprtchick - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Then I got an idea.....I wondered if you could stamp an image, scan it and then print it on cardstock to foil. It works! Now any stamp can be made into a foiled piece. Here is the Image I stamped, scanned, printed and foiled:
foiled stamped shrubs by sprtchick - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

so much fun doing this and it adds so much. Anyone who is on the fence about the minc get one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #94  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Ok..got to finish several of these today:I made both gold and silver and the pics dont begin to do them justice. The foil is beautiful.

foiled hot air balloon by sprtchick - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Then I foiled these:

Then I got an idea.....I wondered if you could stamp an image, scan it and then print it on cardstock to foil. It works! Now any stamp can be made into a foiled piece. Here is the Image I stamped, scanned, printed and foiled:
foiled stamped shrubs by sprtchick - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

so much fun doing this and it adds so much. Anyone who is on the fence about the minc get one.
Wow. I can't believe those detailed sentiments - amazing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #95  

Amber have you tried Jennifer's embossing method with the Minc yet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #96  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Don't try it, you'll ruin your machine! You must use a carrier!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 09:35 PM   #97  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Then I foiled these:

So beautiful and so addicting! I know, scanning the stamped image works great. Plus save the scans, and eventually you'll have all at your disposal. Well maybe not all 😄. Thanks for sharing Amber, & keep them coming. I just can't get the time right now with my DH so ill, but I so enjoy seeing your beautiful work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #98  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default no not yet....its pretty easy

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
To stamp scan and print so I have toner on the image. Might give it a shot but I am leaving early Sat to visit my sweet friends 3300 top of the line stamp cottage in Texas for 10 days. Probably wont get to it til sometime after I get back.

So many fun things to try!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok..here is a card made with the words I put foil on yesterday.

Foiled Mambo Navy by sprtchick - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

smiles!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #100  

Quote:

Then I got an idea.....I wondered if you could stamp an image, scan it and then print it on cardstock to foil. It works! Now any stamp can be made into a foiled piece.
You are a GENIUS, Amber WOOHOO........the Einstein of Foiling.......this is HUGE !!!!!!!!!!!!

A million thanks for this idea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #101  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you....is anyone else making cards with foil? Would love to see some more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #102  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Using an iron

I wanted to share some samples using an iron. I'm quite pleased with the results. They may not be perfect but for the low investment cost I think it's pretty good!

The sentiment is some using printer and iron. The scrolls are an adhesive design from clears nap.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default These are gorgeous!

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
I wanted to share some samples using an iron. I'm quite pleased with the results. They may not be perfect but for the low investment cost I think it's pretty good!

The sentiment is some using printer and iron. The scrolls are an adhesive design from clears nap.

You did an awesome job on these cards! I love them both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2015, 07:48 AM   #104  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

You did an awesome job on these cards! I love them both!
Thanks Amber!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #105  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Heidi Swapp Foil

Will the Heidi Swapp foil work well in the Royal Sovereign laminator? I'm getting pretty good results with the Thermoweb, but wanted to try other foils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #106  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewcrafty28View Post
Will the Heidi Swapp foil work well in the Royal Sovereign laminator? I'm getting pretty good results with the Thermoweb, but wanted to try other foils.
Sure will! I really love her foil colors, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #107  
Crimping Master

Is there some "my bad" copyright rule for scanning, printing and foiling someone's stamp image? I've done it too but was afraid to admit it

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #108  
Compulsive Stamper

hello planet43
Here's my thought: Obviously the stamp makers expect us to buy and use their stamps
with ink, paints and other mediums. What would be the difference in using them that way and using them with the laser copiers and laminators? Just my opinion, but I'm certainly not educated on the copyright laws. ::smile::
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #109  

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet43View Post
Is there some "my bad" copyright rule for scanning, printing and foiling someone's stamp image? I've done it too but was afraid to admit it
Any personal use of a stamp is fine. You bought it - use it I've done it several times and love it - it's a great way to show off a stamp image in a new way and get more out of it.

Selling copies of it would be a no no of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #110  
Polyshrink Goddess

ok, i read this whole thread today, watched jennifer mcguires's videos about foiling. i already had a laser printer and a laminator and a few foils [deco foil] i had bought on clearance.so set to work. for once in my life, it WORKED great! but.... of course there is a but..... my printer only takes copy paper, not even georgia pacific cardstock. so now i have pretty foils on copy paper. i have never uploaded a photo to this site, so will try to do in next message. but i can definitely see what amber is talking about. its addictive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #111  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default here is sample

let's see if the image is added.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #112  
Polyshrink Goddess

and last part is... how can i use the "negative" of the foil to add another design to another paper. maybe i will try the iron method.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #113  
Polyshrink Goddess

guess what??? i tried the other laser printer/ copier i have at home [in another room that i totally forgot i had, and assumed it wouldnt work], and it printed on georgia pacific cardstock and then i foiled it. AMAZING. oh i am so excited.
also, another random question now, would it be possible to get a wholesale price on foil, if i have a tax id? i dont have a crafting business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #114  
Polyshrink Goddess

sorry for multiple posts, but forgot to mention, in case anyone wants to know, i have a fellows laminator, saturn model. i bought from amazon [ i think about $50] last year. and i bought a big box of laminating pouches. i can give anyone the model number of the printer, laminator if anyone wants.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #115  
Matboard Maniac

I have an older laminator that has a FOIL setting I tried the Heidi Swapp images that come in a package-and didn't work so well. It is hard to justify a laser printer just for this. So if I could find one for around $50- then how much is the ink or toner ink going to run?? Love this technique!! (the stamp and embossing worked pretty well-except for the flying foil)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #116  
Polyshrink Goddess

sherry107, the toner for a laser printer lasts a loooong time. i buy the "off brand" toner from amazon or ebay and it is much more worthwhile than an inkjet. i can send u info on the printer i have, if u want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #117  
Polyshrink Goddess

i just bought the off brand toner for my printer a week ago, it was around $30. i dont buy the brand toner. and fyi, you can shake the toner towards the end of its life and it lasts a little longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #118  

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
My $50 laser printer came with a 'starter pack' of toner. I don't know how long the full size last but I think they're around $70 for a brand name one. I have heard they last really long like the pp said.

My laser printer (which is several years old now) has been telling me my black is SERIOUSLY low for like a year. And it's fine I just ignore it - it's overly dramatic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #119  
Stazon Splitcoast

Anyone else see all the new products Heidi Swapp has come out with to add foil to! I went way overboard getting some of them. Lots and lits. Hope to play next week. Will post some results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #120  
Polyshrink Goddess

i just bought some off brand of foil on amazon. the deco foil was sold out many places [boo hoo] so will see how that turns out when i get it in.

did a quick card today with "happy birthday" - foiled it.

what do you do with the "leftover foil", i just hate to waste stuff and i keep all my tiny pieces of paper too.

has anyone seen the website "dafont.com" it has a ton of downloads of fonts. i was able to print happy birthday in a "batman " font. [b day card for young boy.] sad little me only had 2 choices of foil till my new stuff comes in.
Reply With Quote Likes