Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #641  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
Don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but I thought I'd share. (A2 size)

After using my new envelope punch board, I went to the P.O. to mail a few things, including the card sportin' my envie.

I didn't know whether to laugh or be annoyed when they tried to charge me extra for that envelope (contents were flat). When I asked why the upcharge, the employee told me that "square envelopes cost extra." (that I knew already). I pointed out that it really isn't square, just close; she measured to her satisfaction, harumphed, and charged me regular, first-class postage.

So, guess the moral of the story is that, if you're making A2 size envies, be sure the P.O. knows they are NOT exactly square, and to charge accordingly.
Thanks for the warning/moral. I laughed reading your post. Sometimes folks take their job responsibilities waaay too seriously, I think. I guess it makes them feel powerful.

We've probably all had the checker at the grocery store that holds up the line with people waiting, scrutinizes the fine print on a 25 cent coupon, gives you a look like you are a criminal, and points out that it expired yesterday.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #642  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hm. I'm assuming that measurement is actually millimeters. 114 centimeters is almost 45 inches - that would be one incredibly large envelope! The metric chart that came with the board lists an "A-6" envelope with the best size fit and the size is off by a similar amount to what the A2 was off by. (More math errors?) Anyway, this "A-6" is defined as 11.4 x 16.5 cm and the chart instructs us to use a 22.5 x 22.5 cm sheet of paper and a score line of 9.5 cm.

It seems to me that if a C-6 envelope is actually 11.4 x 16.2 cm, it may be possible to adjust the paper measurement and score line as buggainok did for the A2 envelope. On the other hand, I realize how much more expensive this device is in NZ and Australia, and I can't fault anyone there that might refuse to pay all that extra money for something that needs you to calculate alternate measurements because the ones on the board are incorrect. For me personally it was acceptable, as I paid USD $15.99 for it. If I had to pay the Oz/NZ mark-up, well, I would have to think about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I found this on an internet chart:

C6 114 x 162 centimeters, or

4 1/2 x 6 3/8 inches

For A5 sheet folded in half, A4 sheet folded in quarters; Very common size

International Envelope Sizes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #643  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpygirl73View Post
Hm. I'm assuming that measurement is actually millimeters. 114 centimeters is almost 45 inches - that would be one incredibly large envelope! The metric chart that came with the board lists an "A-6" envelope with the best size fit and the size is off by a similar amount to what the A2 was off by. (More math errors?) Anyway, this "A-6" is defined as 11.4 x 16.5 cm and the chart instructs us to use a 22.5 x 22.5 cm sheet of paper and a score line of 9.5 cm.

It seems to me that if a C-6 envelope is actually 11.4 x 16.2 cm, it may be possible to adjust the paper measurement and score line as buggainok did for the A2 envelope. On the other hand, I realize how much more expensive this device is in NZ and Australia, and I can't fault anyone there that might refuse to pay all that extra money for something that needs you to calculate alternate measurements because the ones on the board are incorrect. For me personally it was acceptable, as I paid USD $15.99 for it. If I had to pay the Oz/NZ mark-up, well, I would have to think about it.
Oops - my bad. :oops: Of course it would have to be millimeters! Can you tell I don't speak metric, lol?

A 45 inch envelope would be pretty nifty though. Ha! Kind of like those giant cards they sell at the convenience stores for holidays sometimes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #644  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Thanks for the warning/moral. I laughed reading your post. Sometimes folks take their job responsibilities waaay too seriously, I think. I guess it makes them feel powerful.

We've probably all had the checker at the grocery store that holds up the line with people waiting, scrutinizes the fine print on a 25 cent coupon, gives you a look like you are a criminal, and points out that it expired yesterday.
expired yesterday - funny. ya just never know - like my mom always said, "Pay attention and count your change."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #645  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

A non-stamper friend of mine ordered a dozen of homemade flip flop envelopes. I have no idea what to charge??? What do you think a reasonable price would be for me to ask?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #646  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

You're going to have to factor in the cost of your paper, and glue or tape and then your time....what are flip flop envelopes? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #647  
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't had the time to read through the entire thread but I'm heading to Michael's today and wondering if this product is sold there or just online? If I can find it, would it be in the scrapbook section?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 04:57 AM   #648  
Proud Fan Club Member

I don't think you will find them in the stores for a while yet. It seems unfair that they put most out for sale online and some of us don't shop online, but I got lucky and had a friend order one for me. I just looked at Michaels on Wednesday and they didn't have them, but I will keep checking whenever I get up that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #649  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I had been on a waiting list at Archivers until last weekend. When I went in to pick up my board they had one extra to sell, and were getting shipments in every couple of weeks. If you have an Archivers near by, you might check with them.

I am curious as to what a flip flop envelope is also. It sounds fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #650  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I don't think you will find them in the stores for a while yet. It seems unfair that they put most out for sale online and some of us don't shop online, but I got lucky and had a friend order one for me. I just looked at Michaels on Wednesday and they didn't have them, but I will keep checking whenever I get up that way.
bought one yesterday at my local scrapbook store...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #651  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diana stampsView Post
bought one yesterday at my local scrapbook store...
Cool! I didn't think they would get into the stores until fall. Glad you were able to get one!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #652  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

My Archivers had around 10 today...I was able to get one with a 30% off coupon. It has a flaw though on one of the numbers---a splotch of white paint obscures the number. I plan to take it back & exchange it.

It’s weird being the same age as old people.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #653  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Oops - my bad. :oops: Of course it would have to be millimeters! Can you tell I don't speak metric, lol?

A 45 inch envelope would be pretty nifty though. Ha! Kind of like those giant cards they sell at the convenience stores for holidays sometimes.
Ha ha..or like those large cheques they use to promote charities etc! When I worked at the bank we had to deposit one of those giant things! At that time it was all quite legal and there was no restriction on size! LOL It was a nightmare!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #654  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
A non-stamper friend of mine ordered a dozen of homemade flip flop envelopes. I have no idea what to charge??? What do you think a reasonable price would be for me to ask?
Flip-flop envelopes? New to me...are they called something else or did I miss something that sounds really neat?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #655  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I wonder if that's why my local Craft Warehouse (PNW regional craft store chain) isn't seeing them fly off the shelves - maybe a lot of people in the area that would be interested is under the assumption that stores aren't carrying them until the fall. Considering all the stories I heard here and elsewhere about people still not being able to get one, I was pretty surprised when I saw (a lot of) them last week where I shop. Come to think of it, they often have a lot of the "hot sellers" of many different craft types in stock when online merchants are sold out. I think people around here see it as a generic, "big box" craft store because it looks like one and is large. (We have a lot of people around here against "big box stores".) If you shop there, however, you find that their stuff is much nicer than that. It's clear to me that whoever makes the buying decisions for each department actually pursues the craft in question. It makes a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #656  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs NoofyView Post
Flip-flop envelopes? New to me...are they called something else or did I miss something that sounds really neat?

Here are my flip flop envelopes. She wanted white labels on the front so she can add the addresses. I am thinking of charging $12 for 12 envelopes + plus shipping since she lives in FL. It took me about 26 minutes to make them .

What do you think? Is that enough to charge? Too much?
Attached Thumbnails
The Envelope Punch - We R Memory Keepers CHA 2013-flipflops.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #657  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Here are my flip flop envelopes. She wanted white labels on the front so she can add the addresses. I am thinking of charging $12 for 12 envelopes + plus shipping since she lives in FL. It took me about 26 minutes to make them .

They are so adorable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #658  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Sherri, those are very cute - and look just like you, lol. When you figure what to charge, that paper could cost as much as $1 a sheet or so if you bought it separately at a LSS, so I don't think $1 a piece plus shipping is too much.

I looked a little bit on Etsy for handmade envelopes. I saw a set of 5 kraft envelopes with a heart on the flap for $6. I think your price is about right.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #659  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Very cute envelopes! I giggled when I saw they were actual flip flop paper envelopes. I thought there was some new kind of envelope out there that was called a flip flop envelope. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #660  
Hardware Hotshot

I picked up two of these fun tools at a local scrapbook store.... they were $19.99 less a 10% military discount.. I bought one for myself and one for my mom. I have used it already to make a special sized envelope for my son to mail some of his golf score cards to his daddy in Afghanistan. I am so glad that I bought it.

blessings ~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #661  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbornewifeView Post
I picked up two of these fun tools at a local scrapbook store.... they were $19.99 less a 10% military discount.. I bought one for myself and one for my mom. I have used it already to make a special sized envelope for my son to mail some of his golf score cards to his daddy in Afghanistan. I am so glad that I bought it.

blessings ~ Pam
So happy you found them. And what a neat thing for your son to mail his golf score cards to his dad. My hubby is a lifelong golfer, and I find his scorecards hanging around lots of places in our house. They are important memories to him. He says when he looks at an old scorecard, he can literally "replay" the match in his head.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #662  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I agree. This gadget is really convenient for making envelopes because it is an all-in-one tool. After you get your paper cut into the right size squares, it is amazingly fast to make envelopes. The punch that cuts out the indentations, and the corner rounder work really well and save time and hassle over using a corner rounder and using scissors to cut the notches out.

For the regulation size A 2 envelopes to fit the cards that a lot of us make, it only requires changing the scoring measurement from 3-3/4" to 3-1/2". That is a personal preference on my part, to make the envelope a little smaller. And like muscrat says, many folks don't mind the envelope being a little roomy to allow for embellishments.

In my opinion, the overall convenience and ease of use easily makes up for any "tweeking" of the measurements.
Mine finally arrived! I agree, it's a LOT of fun to churn out envelopes.

I tried the tweak that Bugga recommends, and tweaked it even a tiny bit further for an A2 envelope. I use the listed size square of paper (8 1/8 inch) and line it up halfway between the 3 1/2 and 3 5/8 marks. And of course, I only have to do this lining-up once, since I use the turquoise guide thereafter for the other 3 sides. I really like the result this gives me. I held it up to a purchased A2 envelope and the difference is extremely small, in my opinion.

Excess paper stash, look out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #663  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol WView Post
Mine finally arrived! I agree, it's a LOT of fun to churn out envelopes.

I tried the tweak that Bugga recommends, and tweaked it even a tiny bit further for an A2 envelope. I use the listed size square of paper (8 1/8 inch) and line it up halfway between the 3 1/2 and 3 5/8 marks. And of course, I only have to do this lining-up once, since I use the turquoise guide thereafter for the other 3 sides. I really like the result this gives me. I held it up to a purchased A2 envelope and the difference is extremely small, in my opinion.

Excess paper stash, look out!
Glad you are enjoying your punch, Carol. Something else I've found as I've used the punch more - if I get in a "hurry", or have one eye on the TV and don't pay close attention, the way I fold the score lines can make a slight difference in the finished size of the envelopes. Also a variable is the thickness of the paper, as to how accurately you can fold where the score lines are.

I'm not terribly picky, and don't scrutinize my finished envies. If my card will fit into the envelope, I'm happy, even with slight variations in size.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #664  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I finally got this envelope punch, I will catch up on all 18 pages of posts and plan on having a lot of fun making my own envelopes. Thanks for all the tips and tricks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #665  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Envelope punch back in stock at Scrapbook.com

If anyone is still looking for it, I got an email that the envelope punch is back in stock at Scrapbook.com:

We R Memory Keepers - Envelope Punch Board

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #666  
Rubber Obsessor

And I don't know if it's just not popular among Portland paper crafting folks or what, but the Gresham, Oregon Craft Warehouse has a whole wall of them on sale for $14 a piece this weekend. Don't know about the other Craft Warehouses in the NW. Crazy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #667  
Rubber Obsessor

So, HERE'S the thing.

I bought this back in mid-May from HSN and I've loved it so far, but have used it literally only 5 times. Even though I've only had it two months anyway, it has just sat on my craft table except for those 5 times.

Yesterday, I went to use it for the 6th time and the teal punch housing just came off the board. The entire punch mechanism ended up falling off too, without the housing there to hold it on.

I kind of stared at it, stunned, since it came off like it was broken but upon further inspection, there was no cracked or broken plastic or anything--it just came apart.

I reassembled it easily, but the housing will NOT stay down, rendering the thing useless. I have tried and tried to push it on and it will stick for a second, then pop off. It almost seems like something was glued on and the glue dried out because I don't see anything broken or cracked. Plus, it's just been sitting!!!

I just ended up giving my mom her birthday card in no envelope yesterday. I'm so disappointed this product just fell apart after so few uses and such little time! Anyone have any issue with this?? Any suggestions?? :(
Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #668  
Proud Fan Club Member

I've not had any issues with mine. Its not that old. I'm sure they'd replace it for you. Maybe just a faulty one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #669  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmbelleinaView Post
So, HERE'S the thing.

I bought this back in mid-May from HSN and I've loved it so far, but have used it literally only 5 times. Even though I've only had it two months anyway, it has just sat on my craft table except for those 5 times.

Yesterday, I went to use it for the 6th time and the teal punch housing just came off the board. The entire punch mechanism ended up falling off too, without the housing there to hold it on.

I kind of stared at it, stunned, since it came off like it was broken but upon further inspection, there was no cracked or broken plastic or anything--it just came apart.

I reassembled it easily, but the housing will NOT stay down, rendering the thing useless. I have tried and tried to push it on and it will stick for a second, then pop off. It almost seems like something was glued on and the glue dried out because I don't see anything broken or cracked. Plus, it's just been sitting!!!

I just ended up giving my mom her birthday card in no envelope yesterday. I'm so disappointed this product just fell apart after so few uses and such little time! Anyone have any issue with this?? Any suggestions?? :(
In my experience, HSN has pretty good customer service. I would give them a call and let them know you received a defective product. If they have any left, I am sure they will send you another one. If they're out of stock, they can at least issue a refund.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #670  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Duh...what was I expecting? ..some new technique? Not flip-flop paper that's for sure! LOL They are just adorable and I don't think you are over pricing at all. These are custom-made envelopes using good quality paper...well worth the price. IMHO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #671  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Ladies
Bit behind the times here in the UK and only just got our boards here. Can someone please tell me if there is a way to make an envelope that is sized to fit our standard uk envelopes of 4 x 5 3/4 ?? I have been sitting here with my hubby and we are trying to work it out!!

Thanks
Caz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #672  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingcazView Post
Hi Ladies
Bit behind the times here in the UK and only just got our boards here. Can someone please tell me if there is a way to make an envelope that is sized to fit our standard uk envelopes of 4 x 5 3/4 ?? I have been sitting here with my hubby and we are trying to work it out!!

Thanks
Caz
I've had my board for a while and have found that the measurements given tend to be on the side of making the designated envelope a little "roomy".

I just now got my board out and made an envelope using the measurement on the chart for a card that is 4 x 5-1/2". It calls for 7-7/8" x 7-7/8" paper.

The envelope actually turned out to be a tad bigger than 4", and just a little more than 5-3/4" in the width.

So that might be the envie measurement you could use for your 4 x 5-3/4 cards. Give it a try and see what you think.

If you want the envelope a little larger for embellished cards, you might try the measurements for the 4 x 6 card.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #673  
Polyshrink Goddess

Heart

Quote:

I've had my board for a while and have found that the measurements given tend to be on the side of making the designated envelope a little "roomy".

I just now got my board out and made an envelope using the measurement on the chart for a card that is 4 x 5-1/2". It calls for 7-7/8" x 7-7/8" paper.

The envelope actually turned out to be a tad bigger than 4", and just a little more than 5-3/4" in the width.

So that might be the envie measurement you could use for your 4 x 5-3/4 cards. Give it a try and see what you think.

If you want the envelope a little larger for embellished cards, you might try the measurements for the 4 x 6 card.
Thank you Thank you!! Its spot on perfect, so for any totally flat cards this is ideal... :p I never would have tried that one.

Caz x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #674  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingcazView Post
Thank you Thank you!! Its spot on perfect, so for any totally flat cards this is ideal... :p I never would have tried that one.

Caz x
Glad it worked for you. It really is a nifty little tool and I love using mine. But like I said, some of the measurements seem to make a larger envelope than I would pick for the size card they list on the chart.

What I told you is an example - if someone had a card that was actually 5-1/2", they might not want the extra room. I've decided that it's best not to be too picky about these things. I really doubt that the folks who receive my cards in the mail are taking time to measure and critique the envelope that it came in. Hopefully, they are happy I thought of them and sent the card!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #675  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am with you, I am not too bothered, however I am demoing this this weekend at our shop in the UK and I know some of the ladies would have been really put off by the size being that much bigger... I never would have tried the one you told me so thank you so much for that. Its a fantastic tool, as soon as I saw it I knew I had to have one. Thanks for your help once again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #676  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

In my experience, HSN has pretty good customer service. I would give them a call and let them know you received a defective product. If they have any left, I am sure they will send you another one. If they're out of stock, they can at least issue a refund.

They're definitely out of stock. :(

It's beyond the defective time period, so I contacted WRMK via their FB page first to see if they have any advice for me. If I don't hear back by the end of this week, I guess I'll call HSN and see what they say?? :(
Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #677  
Compulsive Stamper

I couldn't wait for this to become available to us here in NZ and when I received it I promptly had to have a play. The first envelope I tried had the measurements incorrect so I randomly chose another one to try and that was also incorrect! Has anyone else had problems with their envelope maker?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #678  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi janeView Post
I couldn't wait for this to become available to us here in NZ and when I received it I promptly had to have a play. The first envelope I tried had the measurements incorrect so I randomly chose another one to try and that was also incorrect! Has anyone else had problems with their envelope maker?
Yes, some of the earlier boards had incorrect measurements. This has now been corrected. You may have gotten one of the first ones. Here is a link to a chart with the corrected measurements:

http://www.weronthenet.com/File/View...5-2d8b6d658ea9

You can also email them and they will mail a sticker to you with the correct measurements to put on your board:

"Update:
We have an updated Envelope Punch Board Sticker to adhere over the current measurement sizes.
***Take a look at the 3x3" Envelope Size on the Punch Board. The original measurements for that size will be 5 3/8� x 5 3/8� with a 2 �� score line. If that�s the size listed for the 3x3� Envelope Size, then please email us for a replacement sticker. ***
Please email us at [email protected]
Include �Envelope Punch Board Sticker� in the subject line and your mailing address in the body of the email."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #679  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi janeView Post
I got mine from Warehouse Stationery and it appears to be the later version with the correct measurements. It also has a sticker giving metric sizes. Is yours the same? The 3x3 envelope is not exactly square (sides differ by 2mm) but takes a 3" square card OK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #680  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I KNEW if I waited LONG ENOUGH, someone else would come up with a BETTER Envelope Punch Board! Check here is you want to know more: Dawns stamping thoughts Stampin'Up! Demonstrator Stamping Videos Stamp Workshop Classes Scissor Charms Paper Crafts

CAN'T WAIT for the RELEASE!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes