Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embossing Ideas

Hello!

I just recently got into embossing. After work today, I am going to buy the gun. When I used google to research stuff about embossing, so many websites mentioned that irons (without steam), toaster ovens, and even ovens work... Honestly, this just won't work for me so I am off to get the embossing gun with my 40% off coupon! Has anyone else gotten it to work?

Also, any fun ideas you have for embossing?

Does anyone use the embossing pen to only emboss small sections of a stamp?

Thanks in advance
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are quite a few great tutorials that involve heat embossing right here on Splitcoast. You'll want to check them out when you get your heat tool!

Burned Batik
Faux Bleach
Cracked Glass
Emboss Resist
Emerging Color
Faux Cloisonne
Ghosting

You'll find a bunch more here. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I embossed in my toaster oven before I got my heat gun, and it worked fine. But you will be glad to have a heat gun!! It is much more convenient to use. You can use a Versamark pen to 'highlight' the area of the stamp you want embossed. You could do this before or after stamping your image. Then just pour on your powder and you're ready to go. You can also use your Versamark pad (or the pen if that is all you have) to ink up your stamp, then ink it again on a colored ink pad, stamp your image, pour on clear embossing powder, and heat. This way you can have any color you want that is embossed!
Have fun with your new tool!!

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

LOL! I guess I would know all of this if I could get out of the regular stamping forum. I can't!!! And I don't even stamp much. The scrapbooking forum is gonna kill me. :twisted:

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I didn't notice that you were a new member...Welcome! As you can see, this site is very addicting. If I stamped and scrapbooked as much as the time I spent on here, I would have it all done!!!

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

HAHA! Seriously, until I got busy this afternoon, it was almost sad how much I was reading.. I was reading every darn thread. The ideas, the shopping places, the links, the examples, the different techniques - I mean it's crazy! I feel like I want to scrapbook for days now! Too bad I had a job (well, not too bad these days ) But, I love this place. Thank you so much for everything...

As for my trip to Michaels... I was shocked that the gun was $25. Online, it shows two and one is only $16 but of course they didnt have that one. So, i sucked it up and bought it - at least I had a coupon! But, the way the scrapbooking products have increased in price lately blows my mind! I also got two stamp pads but I didnt find water based anywhere! I also got a few other deals for organizing and scrapbooking. Gotta love a trip to Michaels!

Now I am going to go play with the examples posted above. Oh, but I do have a question first. Keep in mind, I have never yet made a card with embossing but what is the point of having colored embossing stamp pads if you just want to use the clear versamark and then have different colors embossing powder... Doesnt the powder always cover up the ink pad color anyway?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Personally I think it's easier to use colored ink and then emboss with clear or sparkle embossing powder. The color will show threw vividly. When I've used colored embossing powders - even with all of the gadgets and wiping away with a brush one or two stray embossing bits will get outside the image and then when I emboss they look bigger and messy in color. With clear I don't see the stray bits.
If you do use colored embossing power use a new sheet to catch the powder each time you switch colors, otherwise you get a little of this and a little of that in each container... guess how I know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CorinnaOAR....I know opinions differ, but I feel if I use for instance, a dark green pigment ink and then use a dark green embossing powder, I get a much more vivid green color.

Had I used an embossing ink or VersaMark and the dark green powder I don't feel I get a vivid a color embossing result. Same would be true if I use a dark green embossing pigment ink and clear embossing powder.

I will use VersaMark and a clear powder if I just want a shiny embossed, clear image.

Again, I know opinions do differ on this issue, this is just what I learned several years ago and what I show others to do.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love embossing and emboss resist methods! I am about a year into my new stamping hobby that I love! I love to use clear embossing powders with regular inks! I will take my rubber or clear stamp and press it into the versamark pad first, then press the stamp into my desired ink color. Stamp the image on my desired paper and pour clear embossing powder over the image and then heat it with my heat gun! Love how the images turn out! I used to use chalks to get light pastel colors! When I first started stamping, I would use my versamark pad to coat the image stamp, then pour the desired chalk powder color over the image and hold over my toaster to heat! It made a great light pastel color! (read that trick in the SCS forum for handy tips for newbies)! I too poured over the threads for hours at first and I sure learned a lot!
Now I have found the forums I enjoy most and try to stick with those because you can spend hours and hours just reading tips and hints, copying turorials, and lurking in the galleries to learn all you can!
Welcome and have fun!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you I tried the first tutorial (the mother's day card) - as that was my favorite and I had all of the supplies. I wasnt too happy so I ended up liking one portion of the card and cut it out and used it on another card. I am not having much luck with stamps. It's like I have broken fingers haha. I usually get broken images and I am very careful about covering it with ink. Oh well - I am pretty good with craft stuffy so I suppose practice will eventually make perfect :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorinnaOARView Post
Hello!

I just recently got into embossing. After work today, I am going to buy the gun. When I used google to research stuff about embossing, so many websites mentioned that irons (without steam), toaster ovens, and even ovens work... Honestly, this just won't work for me so I am off to get the embossing gun with my 40% off coupon! Has anyone else gotten it to work?

Also, any fun ideas you have for embossing?

Does anyone use the embossing pen to only emboss small sections of a stamp?

Thanks in advance
another use for the pen is to apply versamark (or embossing fluid) after coloring an image. Then you can apply the clear embossing powder to that specific area as I did on the cookie jar on this card.

Zindorf does it all the time to protect her colored images as she brayers on her BGs (emboss resist)
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

As far as the broken images go, here is a tip my demo gave me that made all the difference in the world: when you put the stamp to your paper, press evenly and hold it there for a count of 8-10. This gives the ink time to "bind" to the paper. Since I have been using this method, my images come out sooo much better! Just a little hint from someone else with broken fingers!
Reply With Quote Likes