Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-04-2016, 02:30 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Which emboss/die-cut machine do I buy?

Over the years gathered/got some emboss and die-cuts as added gifts in cardmaking magazines and included in goody bags, crafts orders etc. Still no machine as I was bit undecided as to buying such a big item...I do cardmaking but not often as I have other hobbies.I tend to think like how much quilt fabric can I buy for that money so always put off buying one..............
Is there something not too expensive to buy?:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 03:18 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I have an old Cuttlebug that seems to meet all my needs! Die cuts and embossing folders. You can find lots of them at craft garage sales and/eBay should have plenty at good prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 03:20 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I should say that I actually had an old Zip-E-Mate that also worked perfect until my niece accidentally broke it. It did the same as Cuttlebug-----die cuts and embossing folders. They are likely extinct (lol) but if you find one of those, that works too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 03:23 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The first thing I'd suggest you think about is How big are your dies/folders, and what machine will handle them? Then, are you likely to be satisfied with that, or will you want to be able to use bigger dies & folders in the future? If you think you might, I'd say look for the largest machine you can budget for, and have the space for.
I bought a Cuttlebug originally, which was ok for the few thin dies & small folders I had. Then larger dies - Bigz- for example, that I liked & wanted appeared.Also strip dies, then Embossing folders started to get larger. Eventually I knew I needed a bigger machine, but didn't want to find myself in the same place a few years down the line, needing to upgrade again. So, I got myself a Big Shot Pro. The opening is 12" wide, which to me meant I would never ever want anything bigger. It also handles every die on the market, and because of it's size, it's unlikely there will ever be anything I want to do that it can't cope with. It is very big, and very heavy, so you would not want to move it around. These few thoughts should help you clarify what you want. It's also worth looking at the actual sites of the companies such as Sizzix, which will tell you all about their machines, what they will do and so on, so you can make an informed choice. Good luck with the search!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 03:37 AM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I love my Big Shot. Cut, emboss - it's very stable and it's a work horse. I've had it for 8 years, and done classes with it every weekend - so normal use x 25 over that period of time and it's still going strong. Sizzix service is great too. Well worth the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You might want to consider your space, and how likely you are to use a die cutting machine if you have to get it out of a closet or off of a shelf. For some people it's not a factor; for others (me!), if a machine is not out and ready, I'm less likely to use it.

I used a Big Shot and a Cuttlebug at an LSS before deciding, and went with the Cuttlebug because when shut, it takes up a tiny amount of space on the corner of my computer desk. It's also easily transportable, though that didn't matter much. They both take the same size folders and dies.

Both machines are terrific.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

If you are considering the Sizzix Big Shot, the Big Kick is the same product. I think they both come in different colors. My Big Kick is out and gets used with 90% of my cards. Get on mailing lists for many companies and you will get notification for sales. Sometimes you can find die cutting machines Half Off! AND Free Shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2016, 02:04 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP

I am hoping for some words of wisdom as I don't have much experience with die cutting.
I have a Big Shot Pro machine and am trying to use an Accucut steel/wood die (box design which cuts and creases).
I cannot find any information on how to build my 'sandwich'. Any help would be gratefully welcomed! Think I've already ruined the crease pad😥

Last edited by kymmiejane72; 12-08-2016 at 02:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I would email to Sizzix with the information on your Accucut die, and maybe a photo of it. They can advise you properly....and probably quickly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Cuttlebug. I bought the Cuttlebug originally but felt I "had to have" the Big Shot, specifically for the magnetic plate. The Cuttlebug cuts better! Takes up less space, is easier for me to work with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 02:20 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the big shot, the grand calibur, and I just bought the gemini. I like them all...
Reply With Quote Likes