Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation ElectronicDie Cutter Owners please Chime in!

I just bought a new die cutter. The brand name shall remain nameless, fir now anyhow.

Two questions:

How much learning curve would you consider reasonable? I've visited the site and YouTube to watch relavent videos for the last 5 hours. I've read the (poor) manual. I've used the depth setting guide they emailed me. I've yet to cut anything perfectly, other than a plain circle, from 3 different types of paper.

Should I expect a 'perfect' die cut? Am I expecting too much to want a cut edge without bending, splitting or incomplete or fuzzy edges? I'm used to Spellbinders dies which, when used with new cutting plates, provide perfectly smooth edges.

I am so frustrated. I watch videos only to see perfect shapes emerge though granted many video cameras do not focus well up close so maybe they aren't as perfect as I think. Or maybe I am just not doing it right. But when you set things exactly like someone else did, same image, same paper, should work right?
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default New electronic die cutter, what should I expect? Frustrated!!!

I just bought a new die cutter. The brand name shall remain nameless, fir now anyhow.

Two questions:

How much learning curve would you consider reasonable? I've visited the site and YouTube to watch relavent videos for the last 5 hours. I've read the (poor) manual. I've used the depth setting guide they emailed me. I've yet to cut anything perfectly, other than a plain circle, from 3 different types of paper.

Should I expect a 'perfect' die cut? Am I expecting too much to want a cut edge without bending, splitting or incomplete or fuzzy edges? I'm used to Spellbinders dies which, when used with new cutting plates, provide perfectly smooth edges.

I am so frustrated. I watch videos only to see perfect shapes emerge though granted many video cameras do not focus well up close so maybe they aren't as perfect as I think. Or maybe I am just not doing it right. But when you set things exactly like someone else did, same image, same paper, should work right?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...without knowing the actual brand...here is my best recommendations based on info provided....

depth and speed (if that's an option) are pretty much dependent on cardstock/thickness of paper...

thicker paper...lower speed, higher pressure
thinner...higher speed, lower pressure

if your particular nameless brand uses mats that you must adhere your paper to....some just don't work...and will cause tearing...

hang in there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Problem is, I've tried all the recommended settings and techniques. To the letter. Am I just expecting perfection that isn't attainable with an electronic machine? Should the edges be perfect?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a CraftRobo that I've had for 3 years. I'm still using the original blade and the original mat and I still get perfect cuts from it. I think the machine should perform to your expectations providing you have the technical ability to use the machine properly. I'm not saying you don't, but without knowing which machine you're having problems with, it could be something you are doing/not doing that could be causing the problem. If you're confident that you are doing everything right, then maybe you got a dud machine. It happens. You could check with support for the company that makes the cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of this would honestly depend on the brand you have...it's very hard to say without knowing what machine you have. For example, I have a Bosskut Gazelle - they have an amazing tech support website who would walk you through it step by step until you were able to use the machine effectively. Other manufacturers don't offer that perk, instead you get a manual and the rest is up to you, still others vary somewhere else in there...also expecting the exact same cut as someone else using the same image, same setting, same papers isn't always possible. Some manufacturers it depends on the calibration of your particular machine. You might need different settings for your depth, speed and pressure than whoever did the sample.

Also what are you trying to cut that is tearing? Is it "fuzzy edges?" Is it intricate? Again, it's all based on the capabilities of your machine. I get "perfect" die cuts all the time from my Gazzy that look as those that come from steel rule dies look...but then sometimes I get fuzzy edges, or it tears, or whatever. Usually it's on my end of my file design, I fix my file, it cuts fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #7  
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Sometimes it's the paper, too. I have great luck with American Crafts, the Recollections from Michael's, etc.

The cheap HL paper is very soft, and I tend to get fuzzy edges. And the SU paper is very dense, and I find it hard to get a good, clean cut.

What you are afraid to do is a clear indicator of what you need to do. - Zig Ziglar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I own a Cricut and I get perfect shapes when I use it. (Okay, I don't think the circle is 100% right, but other than that, things are good!) I use it both with SU cardstock and DSP. I have also used it with Papertrey Ink Stamper's Select White. You have to figure out what settings work for your paper - I use the slowest speed, deepest needle depth and greatest pressure for cardstock. I did find I was having a bit of trouble with really tiny shapes - ie snowflake points. I fixed that problem by doing a multi-cut - having the machine cut the shape out twice in the same spot.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

i too have a cricut, in fact i have four. they cut beautifully - perfect edges but YES there is a learning curve and some tips and tricks are good to know. i can also say that having owned 4 cricuts i can say that they are always rough initially - like the machine has to be broken in or something. i use lots of different papers in mine but solid cardstock i use SU and papertrey ink exclusively and love them both in my cricut. no experience at all with other brands...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

i have the cricut and my edges are perfect IF i use good paper IF i use the correct setting IF my blade has not gotten dull.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 05:23 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

It is very hard to answer without knowing the brand. Each cutter has different grams per pressure, personalities and settings so a lot of things could be the cause like humidity, weight of paper, blade settings, speed, pressure, etc....

Learning curve again depends on which cutter. Some cutters are considered plotters. It's the same thing. There are the higher end cutters and they are the Porsche's of the industry such as the Black Cat, Klik-n-Kut, Gazelle, Pazzles. Yes, you will have a learning curve.

Even with the Silhouette, which I consider the Mercedes of the cutters you will have a learning curve.

Cricut's, Slice, any of the other cutters made by a mass manufacturer that you can get in your Brick & Mortar craft store are going to have easier learning curves since they were made for the mass market. No, car comparisons since there are so many I could list. They are all good cars. !

Second question you should get intricate detailed cuttings without fuzzy edges, bending, splitting, or incomplete's.

Incomplete's are usually a node problem. If you have a cartridge base system then you should not have incompletes. Node problems are usually from hand made files. I am not knocking hand made files, lol. No letters girls and guys. ;) Little nodes love to go missing in vector programs and sometimes the designer doesn't notice after he/she releases the file. I have done it a billion times. I have seen it in cartridge cutters too but it's very rare.

I hope I helped a little. I have a Gazelle, Cricut, & Silhouette SD so I am used to all their quirks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I know you don't really want to 'name names', but you will get a lot more precise help if you tell us what the machine is. They will all vary to a degree in their performance, but people with a particular brand of cutter will be able to help, and it will help you figure out if you have a duff machine, or if its something in your settings;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I always get a sharper image with spellbinders than with my Cricut. I think it is how the die cuts that makes it different than the blade in the Cricut. I do not get torn or ragged edges with my Cricut unless my blade is dull.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Raggedy edges on the paper usually means a recycled paper with fibers and that does not cut or punch well. Also, I only have used the Cricut and the Slice (not my fav at all) and on the Cricut I did get a package of 'bad' blades once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

I am still fairly new, having had my E since the end of Feb 2010. I am familiar with graphics programs, but by no means an expert - I'm still learning! My hints:
1.keep a sharp blade on hand in case you need to change it.
2.use a piece of scrap, or the edge of the piece you are going to use - test cut,
if the paper isn't cutting well, check the pressure or speed first, do another test cut - small circles, squares, or triangles
3.not all Cricuts are calibrated the same way, they all cut differently! Make your own guide for your machine for pressure and speed with test cuts on the paper you use - search online for Cricut guides to start with or use the one with machine
4.keep a x-acto knife for trimming - yes, all machine cuts need trimming. It took me a while to realize that. My husband worked in a sign shop with a huge, industrial cutter that cost thousands - he STILL had to trim in places - your machine isn't broken.
5.use a lint roller on your mat before you put it away, it helps to keep it clean and sticky longer.

Take the time to LEARN your machine! The longer you play with it, the more fun you'll have and the more you'll find to do with it. Above all - HAVE FUN!
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

I am still fairly new, having had my E since the end of Feb 2010. I am familiar with graphics programs, but by no means an expert - I'm still learning! My hints:
1.keep a sharp blade on hand in case you need to change it.
2.use a piece of scrap, or the edge of the piece you are going to use - test cut,
if the paper isn't cutting well, check the pressure or speed first, do another test cut - small circles, squares, or triangles
3.not all Cricuts are calibrated the same way, they all cut differently! Make your own guide for your machine for pressure and speed with test cuts on the paper you use - search online for Cricut guides to start with or use the one with machine
4.keep a x-acto knife for trimming - yes, all machine cuts need trimming. It took me a while to realize that. My husband worked in a sign shop with a huge, industrial cutter that cost thusands - he STILL had to trim in places - your machine isn't broken.
5.use a lint roller on your mat before you put it away - it helps to keep it clean and helps keep it sticky longer.

BTW - I have cut all brands of paper, they all cut differently, even allowing for the thickness of the paper to be similar. Has to do with the density of the paper fibers and they don't measure that, so - I test new paper.

Take the time to LEARN your machine! The longer you play with it, the more fun you'll have and the more you'll find to do with it. Above all - HAVE FUN!
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

For those who were wondering, I have an eCraft machine so no mat problems. Turns out my blade was dull despite being brand new installed by the factory. I would NEVER have thought of that!! I finally got SU! Paper to work with fairly intricate images! Yeah! The only reason I didn't name the brand before was because I wanted an honest assessment of how clean the cuts should be. And I knew there aren't many out there with this machine and I didn't want people to NOT comment just because they aren't familiar with this machine. I am now getting perfect or almost perfect cuts and I am happy. Thanks for the advice girls!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

The product I regret most buying is the Cricut Expression. I know it's a wonderful machine and does great things but I like simple. There are too many variables, do this to get this affect, do that to get another affect, make sure all your settings are correct, yada yada yada. But now since I spent all that money on it and a load of cartridges I should just suck it up and use it. I do notice that some cuts look like shredded wheat. Must be the settings. So...if this is the machine you have, you are not alone. The learning curve is a big one.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Rebecca Ednie.....Why can't you tell us the name of the machine you purchased? We can't be specific with responses if we don't know the machine you're talking about.

There is no legal reason you can't devulge the name of the machine.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have several electronic machines (KNK, Pazzles, Cricut) - some have more of a learning curve than others... getting the perfect cut takes time (i.e., learning if your mats sticky enough, blade sharp, pressure needed, blade depth, paper type). Is it possible to go to a class and learn how to use your machine? I don't know how long you've had your machine but if after a month or two it's not starting to work for you it may not be the one for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

If the Cricut is the machine you have, the best information I've ever found is a cutting guide, downloadable in pdf format: The Cricut Cutting Guide | Above Rubies Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LorraineBKView Post
The product I regret most buying is the Cricut Expression. I know it's a wonderful machine and does great things but I like simple. There are too many variables, do this to get this affect, do that to get another affect, make sure all your settings are correct, yada yada yada. But now since I spent all that money on it and a load of cartridges I should just suck it up and use it. I do notice that some cuts look like shredded wheat. Must be the settings. So...if this is the machine you have, you are not alone. The learning curve is a big one.
Lorraine, there's a wonderful site that has a free downloadable cutting guide for the Cricut: The Cricut Cutting Guide | Above Rubies Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am loving my Slice Elite..I get great crisp cuts on each size I have tried.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Rebecca Ednie.....Why can't you tell us the name of the machine you purchased? We can't be specific with responses if we don't know the machine you're talking about.

There is no legal reason you can't devulge the name of the machine.

Patti

She already did .. it's the eCraft machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 04:36 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the clarification Metalcharms. I hadn't bothered to read through the entire thread. Just didn't understand why it wasn't mentioned at the start.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 05:01 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Oh, well that helps alot. You have one of the new pretty Ecrafts. So, I can safely say there is a learning curve with that machine. I bet you will be an expert in no time. I heard there are great help forums for it. I am waiting for my K-mart to get them in. I am might take a peek at them when they finally get to Sears.

I am glad you got the blade problem fixed. Sounds like Ecraft has great customer service.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

There is a blog that might help you with your ecraft machine. It's a machine in its infancy so I agree wih lylacfey about the learning curve. I've been holding off on it until I see the bugs are or aren't worked out. But this blog has a lot of information about how to cut in the earlier postings:

Create and Cut

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I am loving my Slice Elite..I get great crisp cuts on each size I have tried.
blessings.
I have a blue-green SLICE and was wondering what the Elite has that I don't....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I actually explained why I didn't name it in the post where I gave the name. Definitely NOT worried about legal issues. Incidentally, the brand new blade wasn't just dull, it had a nick out of it. Granted it is small, but considering the size of the blade, it was HUGE! about 30% of the blade, just up from the tip, was missing. If I hadn't read a tip on someone's blog to try changing the blade, I'd have packed it up and be ready to mail it back today! They shouldn't package the blade in the machine it seems.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Oh and I figured out that the blade was dull from reading a customer website. Customer service hasn't been great so far, nice but not very helpful. They never suggested that the brand new blade could be defective or damaged in shipping.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by HartvillestamperView Post
I have a blue-green SLICE and was wondering what the Elite has that I don't....
I got one for Christmas and tried it out quickly before I hid it. It cuts right through my SU cardstock on the first cut. That's why I bought it. It cuts through deeper cardstock now, and it's faster. That's it. But I got a great price on it and gifted my old one to my friend...or will after Christmas when I open my new Elite!
Reply With Quote Likes