Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Electric Die Cutting Machine?

Hi,

I've been thinking of getting an electric die cutting/embossing machine. I currently have a Big Shot manual. So my questions are:
  1. Do you prefer an electric one over a manual one? Why?
  2. Do you prefer Big Shot Express or Gemini? Why?
  3. If Gemini, is the Jr. good enough (vs. the regular) Why?

I don't have any physical issues using the manual, but maybe the electric is easier and/or faster?

I've been going this over in my mind for months now- some days I'm ready to buy, other days I'm "nope, don't need".

~Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I too have the manual Big Shot without any physical issues. I have been on the fence about an electronic machine for these reasons:

---Main reason is if you need to put a die through several times to ensure a clean cut (even with shim) you can with the manual by just rolling it forward and back, without having to completely remove the "sandwich" from the back and re-insert it again.
---Like having the control of how fast I roll it through. Some dies tend to roll a bit stiff if they have a square edge frame or are larger.
---Initial costs for the machine, and is it repairable down the line if needed?
---The "real estate" the electronic ones take up. Tend to be a larger footprint from what I have seen.
---Like that my Big shot is pretty portable.

Hope these help--I just love, love my manual Big shot, can you tell? Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2020, 11:33 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild CowView Post
Hi,

I've been thinking of getting an electric die cutting/embossing machine. I currently have a Big Shot manual. So my questions are:
  1. Do you prefer an electric one over a manual one? Why?
  2. Do you prefer Big Shot Express or Gemini? Why?
  3. If Gemini, is the Jr. good enough (vs. the regular) Why?

I don't have any physical issues using the manual, but maybe the electric is easier and/or faster?

I've been going this over in my mind for months now- some days I'm ready to buy, other days I'm "nope, don't need".

~Linda
I have a Vagabond, Gemini Jr. and a Gemini Mini. I have rarely used the Vagabond because of its size. However, when O get space, I will use it. However, the Gemini Jr. does the thin dies like butter. You have to get used to the sandwiches but once you do, it is glorious. But is only for the thin dies. So, if you are a Tim Holtz and Eileen Hull Sizzix die fanatic, then the Gemini Jr. will be a sister machine to handle the thin dies that you only need to do one pass, or at the most 2.
I only bought the Gemini mini cuz it was cute and small. Only used it once. But I dream to have a decent work area where my machines are on shelves.

So, having given you an overview, if you want an electronic die cutter that can cut the Bigz dies as well as the thin dies, then IMHO, the Vagabond II would be a great choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 01:35 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an original Big Shot (probably 10+ years old) and a new Gemini Jr. I find I still love my Big Shot most. I'm getting used to the Gemini, but find the "sandwich" is a pain to get just right. If it's not, then I can't get a decent cut.... but that's probably because it's still new and I'm not so used to it. My friends have Gemini machines and love them.

The real downside of the Gemini for me is the weight. It's REALLY heavy!!! So it has to sit somewhere that it won't get moved much.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:46 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a Gemini Junior. It’s transformed my die cutting - not just because it’s easier on my cranking hand, but because for all standard dies from all companies, 99% of the time there’s one sandwich and there’s never been any shimming on odd spots. I got to toss all the Post-Its with shim and sandwich directions from when using manual machines.

The Gemini Junior has the same power as the larger one. The only type of dies Geminis can’t cut with are steel rule dies - those big thick ones with actual blades. I’ve never had any though.

I have a set of two full cover dies that could never be cut in my manual machine or several at my local stamp shop. They cut like butter in the Gemini Junior. The only die I’ve had trouble with was faulty - the manufacturer sent me a new one and it was fine.

Following the sandwiches in the manual is key, or trusting someone highly experienced who does it differently. Jennifer McGuire flipped the sandwich. We all have different preferences and there’s a great machine - or machines - for everyone.

Last edited by bjeans; 04-22-2020 at 03:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the Big Shot Express and it has a reverse button so it is easy to run a due through several times. Mine is 10 years old and just starting to have an issue with the plates sliding to the side and causing a jam. I’m thinking it’s due to the gears going out. I plan to replace it with a Vagabond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2020, 05:57 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
I have the Big Shot Express and it has a reverse button so it is easy to run a due through several times. Mine is 10 years old and just starting to have an issue with the plates sliding to the side and causing a jam. I’m thinking it’s due to the gears going out. I plan to replace it with a Vagabond.
That’s lasted a long time, assuming you used it regularly!

Don’t all electric die cutting machines have a reverse button? Mine does too (Gemini) though I don’t tend to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2020, 06:49 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Just an FYI. I tried using my Big Shot plates, a set of old ones, in my big Gemini. I sent them in sideways, the way Sara Davies does with the Gemini Jr. plates. I used just those 2 plates with thin dies, and they worked great! All machines are just a little bit different, so you might have to add a shim or use a different sandwich, but I'm thrilled that I can use my smaller (and less expensive) Big Shot plates with my Gemini!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2020, 06:47 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been thinking of buying an electric Gemini Jr. I've used a hand crank Big Shot for years and love it but am starting to wish I could just push a button. I've read lots of reviews about the Gemini Jr. that talk about all the plates they have to buy because of the warping after just a few uses. Is that true? Do you have to buy lots of plates compared to a manual big shot?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2020, 07:27 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampitisView Post
I've been thinking of buying an electric Gemini Jr. I've used a hand crank Big Shot for years and love it but am starting to wish I could just push a button. I've read lots of reviews about the Gemini Jr. that talk about all the plates they have to buy because of the warping after just a few uses. Is that true? Do you have to buy lots of plates compared to a manual big shot?
Mine have not warped despite hundreds of cuts. But (big BUT! ) I’m religious about: 1) flipping the plates like you’d flip pancakes after every cut and 2) turning them 180 degrees. The other thing that helps is not always putting a die in the middle of the plate. Use the whole thing. (I ruined plates for a manual machine by always plopping dies in the middle.)

Once in a while a slight curve will start and then I flip it and leave it flipped for a few passes rather than flipping with every cut.

Love Gem Jr.

Last edited by bjeans; 04-26-2020 at 04:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2020, 06:49 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Very happy to hear that you don't have bad warping problems with your Gemini Jr. It doesn't sound any different than the way I turn my big shot plates to prevent warping. You're really making me want a Gemini Jr. I've been very concerned about the warping. Do you always use the Gemini brand plates or have you used big shot plates also? I have several extra big shot plates and wondering if I might be able to use them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2020, 07:58 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

I haven’t tried other plates, but see post #8, where ScrapJanny talks about using Big Shot plates in her full sized Gemini.

And just to be obsessive, I flip plus turn the top and bottom plates with every pass, which may be what you do as well. And I die cut all over the plate. The bottom plate is pristine - no scratches. The suggested sandwich is with the blade side up and the CS covering it, so it’s the top plate that gets scratched. But Jennifer McGuire uses a different sandwich - maybe just flipped upside down, which would be the same, just different. :shock: I used to know but forgot. She has a video about it - I’ll look for it since I’m curious.

ETA Here’s the blog and video:

Last edited by bjeans; 04-26-2020 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

To clarify, flipping plus turning every pass is what’s recommended. I was being obsessive about repeating it, not doing it. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Yes, I do use my Big Shot plates in my Gemini, and they work really well. I flip and turn my Gemini plates when I use them, and it does help with the warping. I also think that the newer Gemini plates don't warp as easily as the older ones. The plates that came with my machine warped quite a bit, even though I flipped and turned them too. The newer ones are holding up much better. I also use the thinnest sandwich of plates possible. I hardly ever use the magnetic or metal shim with regular cardstock, and I haven't cut anything heavier. It's the pressure that warps the plates, so if you make the sandwiches as thin as you can, they don't warp as much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

That makes so much sense, using the thinnest sandwich possible to keep your plates from warping. I also love to hear that your big shot plates work fine in the Gemini.

Well, I think I have made my decision to get the Gemini Jr. I'm very happy to hear all my biggest concerns and fears answered. There's so many dies anymore that I'm pretty excited to go electric and quit cranking so much. Do you ever use your manual one anymore for any certain jobs?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

I kept a manual machine in case it was imperative to die cut if electricity ever went out. But it hasn’t happened. Oh, I do have a tiny Sizzix Sidekick that is used once in a while with small dies. But even though it’s by the Gemini, I often forget to use it, though like it a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I too, am looking for an electric cutter and the comments on Gemini are helpful.

Would love to see Big Shot Express reviews as well, thinking it might be easier for me to learn the BSE since I use the manual BS now. But if the Gemini seems to be better, I'd rather go that route. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the 1st generation BigShot Express for over 10 years. and recently had to retire it. I went with the Sizzix Vagabond. Yes I know to some people on this board Sizzix products are no no but I purchased what is best for me. So easy to use- just prep your work like the crank BigShot and then press a button. You need to hold the button down. There is another button to switch directions.

I choose this model because I can fold it up if needed and the suitcase look goes perfect with my travel theme craft room!! I have 2 stacked suitcase drawer units in the room very similar to the look of the Vagabond.
Reply With Quote Likes