Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question re Sizzix die cutting

Hi - I have a really dumb question that will probably be answered with a duhhh.... :rolleyes:
I bought a sizzix on clearance at Michaels ("thanks" to earlier thread) and am looking at the die cuts. The store I bought the machine at did not have any clearance die cuts.
Anyway, using the birthday cake die cut as an example: If you want the cake choc, with strawberry frosting and colored candles & yellow/orange flames - do you have to punch 3 or more times & then just use/layer the parts to make the "cake" you want - and if so, how do you keep from wasting a lot of cardstock? And, does it work best with paper or cardstock?
Thanks for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharenStampenView Post
Hi - I have a really dumb question that will probably be answered with a duhhh.... :rolleyes:
I bought a sizzix on clearance at Michaels ("thanks" to earlier thread) and am looking at the die cuts. The store I bought the machine at did not have any clearance die cuts.
Anyway, using the birthday cake die cut as an example: If you want the cake choc, with strawberry frosting and colored candles & yellow/orange flames - do you have to punch 3 or more times & then just use/layer the parts to make the "cake" you want - and if so, how do you keep from wasting a lot of cardstock? And, does it work best with paper or cardstock?
Thanks for your help.
Yes, I've always cut 3 or more times like you said to layer the parts in order to get the look I want. I always waste a lot of paper, so I am interested in everyone else's suggestions too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I end up cutting it multiple times. I have tried to take a small piece and place it over the part I want that color - say the candles and then carefully put the white cutting mat and then carefully so as not to move the paper put it in the machine and cut it - while leaving the other part of the die uncovered but most of the time it ends up slipping and I mess it up.

I just use my paper scraps (of which I have a TON) and cut it 3x.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #4  
spv
Rubber Obsessor

I am not sure if this is what you meant ekip2 so sorry if I am repeating...but if you lay your die with rubber side up...cut the paper to size and place on the spot to cut...then place your white cutting mat on top...hold the die and mat together like a sandwich and flip...run through the machine...that way you just cut what you want and don't waist so much paper...hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Default Sizzix die cutting

When using smaller pieces of cardstock or paper , use repositional tape to hold in place over certain parts of the die. This tape won't hurt paper or die.
Hope this helps.
T.J.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

I do the same things as the last two posters. I either place the paper on top of the die (rubber side up) then lay the white plate over top and carefuly turn it over OR if I think it will still move, I use repositionable tape to hold the small piece in place. This makes for much less waste of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 11:43 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I just use scraps of paper....any be very careful you don't move your die...it just takes some time to get used to it...I love my sizzix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I cut all three, then put the extras aside to make a slightly different version later!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes