Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Distressed oxides reinkers

Hi Everyone! Did anyone ever have problem when "shaking" the reinkers to mix? Sometimes, I can't even find the ball when I shake? It's there, but I suppose it's just stuck. Does anyone know what I can do when this happens? Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2019, 04:53 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 671 Likes on 422 Posts

I am not sure but, all the chalk finish inks reinker bottles have this issue I think so, what I am "thinking" I read somewhere over the years is someone was using a really long skinny needle to go down the tip and prod with it maybe it will jar the ball loose if you have a needle long enough?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I am not sure but, all the chalk finish inks reinker bottles have this issue I think so, what I am "thinking" I read somewhere over the years is someone was using a really long skinny needle to go down the tip and prod with it maybe it will jar the ball loose if you have a needle long enough?
What a great idea that is - perhaps a thin wire might be tiny enough to get into the hole. Thank you for your suggestion. In the meantime, I contacted Ranger and here is there reply:

If you are referringto Distress Oxide Reinkers, they do contain a mixing ball, and it can settleinto the pigment if the bottle has been stored upright for a period of time.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
You can place theclosed reinker in a bowl of warm-to-hot tap water for a few minutes, whichshould make it possible to loosen the ball byshaking well and tapping the edge of thebottle on a table in between.<o:p></o:p>
Once the ball becomesloose and the contents are mixed, we recommend storing Distress Oxide Reinkers(and Oxide Sprays) on the side, rather than upright.<o:p></o:p>
I just "rigged" up a large plastic container with a lid, made separators in the container using heavy cardstock and placed all my reinkers on their side. I do feel that it I have more hope after hearing from them and with your idea. All those reinkers I purchased mean nothing if I cannot shake them. I've only owned them for about 2 months and had trouble with one bottle - I shook and shook and shook it and eventually it did come loose. I've been using the re-inkers for watercoloring and love the results. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

Thank you for the information on storing them on their sides rather than upright. I went through last night and figured out a new storage plan for them and shook them all up really well before putting them away. A few of the bottles were harder to get the ball moving, but eventually they all did fine...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,095 Likes on 839 Posts

Yes, thank you! I never knew about storing them on their side either. Hmm, I wonder if the lid will fit on the plastic container I have them in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine eventually come loose but I shake them side to side rather than up and down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Mine eventually come loose but I shake them side to side rather than up and down.
Ditto

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2019, 02:48 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Thank you for the information on storing them on their sides rather than upright. I went through last night and figured out a new storage plan for them and shook them all up really well before putting them away. A few of the bottles were harder to get the ball moving, but eventually they all did fine...
Do you do this periodically? Go through your reinkers and shake the up? That might be a good practice. It does make sense to store them on the side too. Thanks for your comments!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2019, 04:51 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird52paView Post
Do you do this periodically? Go through your reinkers and shake the up? That might be a good practice. It does make sense to store them on the side too. Thanks for your comments!
I haven't done this periodically to date, but may start doing it now that I'm aware of a potential issue.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also store my Distress Sprays and my alcohol ink metallic mixatives on their side as well. It spreads the thicker stuff that tends to settle at the bottom out a bit more along the side of the container. Just make sure your lid is on tight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Tim Holtz has mentioned that for some products in videos.

And if you ever shake anything with the lid off, hold a rag, microfiber cloth, baby wipe or paper towel against the opening with your finger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Tim Holtz has mentioned that for some products in videos.

And if you ever shake anything with the lid off, hold a rag, microfiber cloth, baby wipe or paper towel against the opening with your finger.
Speaking from experience, perhaps...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Hi everyone!  I'm reopening this thread.  I continue to have problems with my distressed oxide reinkers.  I now have 2 colors that I cannot shake because the ball is stuck.  I only purchased these sets late last year.  I will try JBGreendawn's suggestion about inserting a wire.  But the 2nd problem I'm having is that the reinkers are leaking.  Bjeans and Gregzgurl has suggested that we shake them side-to-side.  I've been briskly shaking them up and down.  I love, love, love watercoloring with the re-inkers.  I hate, hate, hate getting dots of reinkers all over my desk/mat/work area/hands.  I had a dot of reinker on one of my completed water-colored stamped flower, but I was able to lift it off with a wet brush.  i am new to water-coloring but am finding these oxides "more trouble than they are worth."  Can anyone suggest anything to me?  I really don't want to "pry off" the tip on my reinkers as I'm thinking what a mess that will make?  But I don't mind trying to find a wire for inserting into the top to "un-stick" the ball.  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited by bluebird52pa; 02-09-2020 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: poor English
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

When you shake them, always keep the top on or better yet, cover the tip with a rag so nothing comes out. And when you’re done using a bottle, wipe the tip off with a rag - good idea for any liquid or even adhesive that comes in a bottle. 

Maybe someone has an idea of what to do if shaking doesn’t work. I did a quick search and didn’t see anything but only had a couple minutes. You can try calling or emailing Ranger too. Good luck. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you bjeans.  I think it might have been "user error" meaning me.  I didn't want to mislead anyone about the leaking, and I went back into my sewing room to check and the top was not on very tight.  I'm so sorry.  But I like your idea about cleaning the tip off with a rag since I am storing them on their sides, I'm sure the tip will always have some color on it.  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Oh, don’t be sorry in the slightest - we’re all here trying to figure things out as we go, sometimes with a hand from others, sometimes after frustrating attempts and choice words or thoughts we might not want others to hear or know about. ;) I just hope this works for you. Fingers crossed. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks bjeans.  I'm sure it will work out - things usually do if we are patient and persistent enough, right!  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2020, 04:10 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was re-reading the whole thread and noticed a suggestion farther up about putting the bottle in warm-to-hot water for a few minutes to loosen things up. Have you tried that?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2020, 05:06 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I was re-reading the whole thread and noticed a suggestion farther up about putting the bottle in warm-to-hot water for a few minutes to loosen things up. Have you tried that?

Yes, I tried that.  I left it in the warm water for about 10 minutes, until the water was cold.  It did not work.  I also shook up the bottle, without the ball moving and used a small amount to do a watercolor swatch sheet.  That tiny swatch looked fine (was mixed together without other colors showing) so maybe we really don't need the ball?  As long as we shake it good?  No more stressing, I promise, about these reinkers.  I love them, their colors, the way they mix with water and the variations of colors depending on the amount of water you mix with them.  Thank you again for all your help and everyone else's help along the way.  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Distress Oxide reinkers used for mini ink pads

I shake my Distress oxide reinkers before using them after they've sat for a spell. 
In some cases I need to gently squeeze the bottle a bit to loosen the mixing ball if there is no movement. 

In addition, when the DO's first came out and there were questions about Ranger releasing them in mini pads and the Tim remarked they would not because of the formula. Let me just say, I created my own mini DO pads a couple of years ago using the reinkers and THEY WORK JUST FINE. I've been using them on latest batch of backgrounds. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I shake my Distress oxide reinkers before using them after they've sat for a spell. 
In some cases I need to gently squeeze the bottle a bit to loosen the mixing ball if there is no movement. 

In addition, when the DO's first came out and there were questions about Ranger releasing them in mini pads and the Tim remarked they would not because of the formula. Let me just say, I created my own mini DO pads a couple of years ago using the reinkers and THEY WORK JUST FINE. I've been using them on latest batch of backgrounds. 

Since Distress Oxide pads are often used for techniques and blending, they need to be re-inked more frequently than most other inks - at least for many people. Some people already complain about that. 

So if Ranger brought them out in mini ink pads? Far more people would complain. They would be besieged with whining calls/emails. Not good PR for the company or the stampers who don’t watch videos or read much on line.

Just my off the cuff take on why no minis based on no facts or inside info. YMMV. And who knows, they might come out. Tim has said never say never. 

Btw, when introduced, videos recommended buying re-inkers even if people don’t generally buy them. My LSS carries no re-inkers except for black Ranger archival and Distress Oxides. (And people complain about having to re-ink the Archival inks too.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

One fact for certain is you can't please everyone, and some people are just chronic complainers.

As for my DO pads, I haven't had to re-ink them, probably because I haven't used them to often. The same goes for the minis I created. 
I didn't buy all the colors as they were released in pads or re-inker and I'm glad I didn't at the time. Since the release of DO sprays, I've picked up a few bottles of the colors I don't have to add to the collection. As for me trying to acquiring the complete collection of each DO product line is not going to happen there's too many options on  the market. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone tried using the do spray to make mini pads? Or instead or Reinkers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

One fact for certain is you can't please everyone, and some people are just chronic complainers.

As for my DO pads, I haven't had to re-ink them, probably because I haven't used them to often. The same goes for the minis I created. 
I didn't buy all the colors as they were released in pads or re-inker and I'm glad I didn't at the time. Since the release of DO sprays, I've picked up a few bottles of the colors I don't have to add to the collection. As for me trying to acquiring the complete collection of each DO product line is not going to happen there's too many options on  the market. 

Who knows, maybe Ranger will make the minis someday. But I think they’d be heading for a headache. 

I’m not generally hit by full set syndrome, but Oxides are my desert island inks and I have most of them and use a lot of colors, though could have done without a few. 

I have most regular Distress minis and use a few colors over Oxides to since they’re translucent, but may get rid some. That’s it for Distress - no sprays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Idea Distress glaze option Daddy Van's

I tested Daddy Van's Bee's Wax (unscented) on my DO backgrounds since I didn't have the Distress Glaze. 

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Winifredxu (03-18-2023)
Old 02-12-2020, 02:48 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Oh what a wonderful thing to know!  You are so smart, creating your own!  So, that tells us that the color don't necessarily separate in a small area.  Thank you for your reply and you "experimenting."  The wonderful people in this group are AMAZING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2020, 02:59 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I tested Daddy Van's Bee's Wax (unscented) on my DO backgrounds since I didn't have the Distress Glaze. 
I'm very pleased with the results!  I buffed it over one of my backgrounds using (makeup) blender brush and the chalky appearance disappeared. The paper became softer with a soft glow. 
To further test it, I sprayed the background with water to see if it would react and it did not. The water just beaded up and the paper remained dry. I like that a lot.   

Thread about Daddy Van's for the curious:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2020, 03:12 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I seem to remember that someone (maybe Tim) suggested using a nail polish bottle shaker machine to shake DO reinkers. Sounds like a good idea but the little machines are about $25.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2020, 03:24 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
I seem to remember that someone (maybe Tim) suggested using a nail polish bottle shaker machine to shake DO reinkers. Sounds like a good idea but the little machines are about $25.

How interesting.  I never heard of a "nail polish bottle shaker machine!" Of course, if it's not "painting/crafting/stamping/die cutting/embossing, etc." related, I probably wouldn't know about it.  lol  But it sounds like something to look up.  Thanks so much for your suggestion!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 06:47 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

One other possibility: one of my reinkers (which autospell changed to reindeers, which I do not have), does not have a stainless steel ball inside. At least I assume so since it’s the only one out of 50+ that won’t rattle. Some take a while, and I shake them sideways and up and down and every which way. 

Yesterday I shook a bunch since I was trying to make a card with reinkers* and when I do that grab a handful and shake. But that one, which I use a lot, nothing. And it works fine. 

*Do you ever have card making sessions where a relatively simple technique does not work? Like you’ve never touched ink before in your whole life?!? :shock: That was yesterday with Oxides, my favorite ever inks. HOURS to make a necessary card and zip. So I made a strip card from patterned papers instead with my sad, inky fingers. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 07:07 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been wanting to to get oxides for quite a while. I was hoping they would come out in mini size due to storage issues. ( I have all the distress mini pads and all Reinkers)After waiting long enough to realize that is not happening, I just ordered oxides Can’t wait to get my hands on them! Ordered the 50 that weee in stock .Btw with coupon and sale they are 2.59 each free shipping at joannes right now. Great price was wondering what applications to use oxides vs reg distress inks or do they replace them.? will I still have use for my minis and all my Reinkers?
Reply With Quote Likes