Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:58 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital SLR owners/users

Tell me about your camera's..what do you like or dislike and what kind you have.
Do you have any recomendations?
For the average user/photog hobyist..beginner.

I want to buy one by summer time and i see some amazing photos in the gallery and on digi scrappages...I have taken some photog classes in the past with a manual SLR and so has my 15 yo DD...we both love taking pics and she may pursue this as a career option inthe future...so anyway Iam looking for tips and ideas and advice on digital SLR's

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Default digital SLR

I'll post even though I can't help much just so it will bump your post ...

I have a Canon 30D - still playing with it - it's smarter than me at this point!

I have read raves on the Canon Digital Rebel both on here and on Scrapshare - it's very user friendly and light-weight. That's the one complaint I have about my camera - it's heavy. Canon always has superior quality and the pictures are always sharp!

Good luck!

GeryB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks....come on girls who take pictures tell me all about your camera..please ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I recently got the Olympus eVolt 510 DSLR and picked it over Nikon and Canon DSLR's because it has Liveview, internal image stabilization, and internal dust cleaner. It takes GREAT pic's but like the above poster, I'm still learning how to use everything ;) HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

it all helps..thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappykatView Post
I recently got the Olympus eVolt 510 DSLR and picked it over Nikon and Canon DSLR's because it has Liveview, internal image stabilization, and internal dust cleaner. It takes GREAT pic's but like the above poster, I'm still learning how to use everything ;) HTH!
I have an Olympus eVolt 500 and got it last May. It is *way* smarter than me! I need to take a photography class to learn all of the stuff it does. However, I have used some of the special settings and it takes GORGEOUS photos. The photos in my blog are most recent (versus my gallery here).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks for all the input ladies and when i get home i will check out your blog..I can't access blogs from work they are blocked by the web filters

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I have the Nikon D-40 and love it.....

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...25420/D40
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a Canon 350D. I love that I can get whatever lenses I would like. I also love that I can be more creative in my shots than with a point and shoot...plus the learning curve was really simple..even my hubby can use my camera!!

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Nikon d-40X (10 mp) and I love it. It is smaller than most digital SLR's and super easy to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I just posted somewhere else about this I just bought a canon rebel xti. It was a hard decision because I have always had a canon rebel 35mm. IT was very hard to make the switch to digital. I love that it is a point and shoot like a 35mm, there is no lag time. I used it Sunday at my daughter's cheerleading competition, and i used the sports feature where it takes 3 pics a sec(or something like that) and it is amazing- you can see her whole routine in sequence! The pics where she is jumping are awesome! So, hopefully that helps! Good luck in making a decision!

Missy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I have the Canon xti. I love it to be able to get those shots in darker places. The shutter speed is great. I have gotten fantastic night time photos and fireworks shots. Great shots of my dd doing her activities. And it is very simple to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Dorinda what kind of SLR do you have now? If you have a Nikon you can use your Nikon lenses with a Nikon Digital SLR (except for the D40x). This is what sold me on my D50 because I had a nice set of lenses.

I think the camera is important, but it's also the lense and flash accessories that really make beautiful photos, IMO. I have D50 which I really love. I got a very nice quality Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens to go with it (less than 100) and that is my go to lens, does really great portraits.

I think *any* of the cameras mentioned above are terrific. What it really comes down to is knowing how to make the most of what you have. You can buy the most expensive camera in the world, but if you never take it off the Auto setting than you've wasted all that money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

My 35 mm is ancient...LOL it is one of the original Canon AE1's.
It is in excellent shape and condition I just want to move digital...beyond point and shoot.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 05:20 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

I also moved from Canon AE-1p to Digital SLR. I chose the Nikon 40x.

The 40x has some limitations in lenses, if you planned to buy third party.

Othewise, I find it easy to use. The SLR functions very much like my old Canon. The digital features work as easy as a compact digital camera.

The Nikon uses SD memory cards. I had a handful of SD cards from my point and shoot digital. And the camera came in a HUGE kit that made it so affordable.

I would recommend going to a camera store and HOLDING the camera. Looking through the viewfinder. (you use the viewfinder, not the large screen on the back) Turning the dials. Are the buttons too small for your fingers. Can you reach them easily?

What comes with the camera? Some sales include a body only. Some, like mine, include a camera, muliple lenses and a few other perks.

I like the lightweight Nikon. Someone else will tell you it feels plastic.

The Nikon uses a unique battery, not AA. It charges quickly and lasts for hundreds of images.

I have already taken thousands of images. My daughter does photography for church events. For instance, at Vacation Bible School, she might shoot over 200 images a day. (Then the earlier arrivers "watch" the powerpoint of the day before.)

The only thing I found that I really do NOT like: If there is a way to move images directly from the card, I have not found it. I must connect the camera to the computer and turn the camera on (so it must be charged) to transfer images.

Hope that helpls,
Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara sView Post
The only thing I found that I really do NOT like: If there is a way to move images directly from the card, I have not found it. I must connect the camera to the computer and turn the camera on (so it must be charged) to transfer images.

Hope that helpls,
Barb
if you get an SD card reader you can just plug that into the computer...put your card in..and it will upload directly to your editor or management software. I don't find that it is any faster for me to use my reader than my camera...so I mostly use my camera for uploading.

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell_scrapsView Post
if you get an SD card reader you can just plug that into the computer...put your card in..and it will upload directly to your editor or management software. I don't find that it is any faster for me to use my reader than my camera...so I mostly use my camera for uploading.
I have an "old-fashioned" card reader and the newer style that looks more like a flash drive. Neither works. (In fact, the card reader came with my camera.) I have used several different cards and tried more than one computer.

Nor does it work to put the card in the SD slot. The computer "reads" an empty card.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I have an Epson PictureMate printer that I keep hooked up to my laptop. I can put the SD card into the printer and the computer will import the images that way. I can never find my camera cord so this works pretty good for me! LOL.

I love having a digital SLR. I love to take pictures and I know I've already made up for the cost of the camera just in film costs alone. I highly agree with the suggestion to going to a local camera shop. I got a great deal at mine, the cost wasn't anymore than Amazon (except for tax of course). And they often have used lenses and accessories. And they never make me feel stupid!!! My beginner questions are very welcome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

You ladies have been a huge help! I am thinking that the lenses on my old Canon will not work on a new digital SLR camera..even if it is the same brand...this camera was purchased int he 80's.
I would like to buy a kit like barbara mentioned...I guess I will be visiting some camera shops.

Keep the input coming I am learning more and more from every post. You have all been very helpful.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Yes as far as I know it's only the Nikon DSLR that were built to accept the older lenses. So a kit would probably be the best way to get started.

This is one of my favorite web sites for dig camera info:http://www.kenrockwell.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Both Canon and Nikon get great reviews from everything I have read. i think it will come down to price and what i like when i get one in my hand. i think a 'kit' will be the way I go when i buy.
I loved that site HoosierMama! thanks

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Sadly, I went by my local camera shop today and discovered it has gone out of business. :( So sad. Weird because I'd been thinking about it today after reading these posts, and I thought I'd look at their used stuff - too bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a "Digital Concepts" Sd/MMC Reader/Writer that I got at Radio Shack. I just pop my camera card in and plug the USB cord into the computer and wah la! It works great to take to work with me and upload photos to Shutterfly - the internet is much faster there than at home.

Ok - not sure what I did - the first paragraph is a quote from someone else - the 2nd paragraph is my reply.

Last edited by optotecha; 03-12-2008 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: clarify quote vs. explanation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

i Love my XTi. love love love, but i would not buy it with the kit lens (18-55mm) i would buy just the body and then a 50mm f/1.4 prime lens. this is a great low light lens and would allow you to delay a speedlite purchase. it also gives you great aperture range. b&h video and camera has great prices and wonderful service. take a look at my blog www.rachnett.blogspot.com, my last couple settings have been taken entirely with my 50mm f/1.4, i'm thrilled with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am getting a Nikon d40x 10 megapixel with a 18-55mm lens and a few other goodies to go along with it. It is a re-furbished model all factory inspected and I got the extra warranty to go along with it too

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorindaView Post
I am getting a Nikon d40x 10 megapixel with a 18-55mm lens and a few other goodies to go along with it. It is a re-furbished model all factory inspected and I got the extra warranty to go along with it too
Where did you end up getting it?

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought it online and made sure that I can use a local place for the warranty and the warranty is good at best buy or circuit city and I have both near by. I bought from a place that sells a lot of kits all diff brands and they are refurbished by the manufacturer or they are demo models

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default another nikon d40 owner

I have the D40 and love it. It does just enough to keep me out of trouble...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am looking forward to getting it and learning to use it...the overall reviews for the Nikon were really favorable. I found a better deal on a Nikon than I could a Canon so I went with it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Not sure, but I think the old Canon lenses WILL fit the new digital Rebels. That is what a photographer friend told me, and I am about to order the new 12 megapixel whne it becomes available in a couple of weeks. Am ordering mine from Dell as I bought a new computer and they sent a gift card, plus they have free shipping on it. I also have a Sigma lens that I was told will fit the new camera. We'll see soon, won't we?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Dorinda, How do you like your camera? I'm thinking about getting one, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

pcPhoto Magazine just did a really nice write up. You can find it on their homepage at pcphotomag.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Lots of great info there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the Sony(formally Minolta) A200 DSLR. I took a long time studying the Cannon Rebel , Nikkon D40 and the Sony. What finally made me choose the Sony was that the Sony has the image stabilization built into the camera body so any Sony or Minolta AF lens will wor with it. With the Cannon and the Nikon if you want IS you have to buy a lens with it built in. In addition to the IS the Sony was about $100 less EVERYWHERE I looked. I have had it for 5 months and absolutely love it. A friend of mine has it also and recently pulled out a zoom lens made by Minolta she had with her 35mm DSLR and it work perfectly with her DSLR. A huge savings in the long run!!!!! Another suggestion I am so happy to have made was purchaseing Adobe Photoshop Elements, it is amazing how a bit of editing changes a photo!
Reply With Quote Likes