Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2020, 05:35 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Digital Camera Suggestions

I am planning to open a shop on Etsy to sell my cards. To do so, I will need a decent digital camera. Right now, all I have is my iPhone 8 camera. I'm looking for something that is easy to use and not too expensive. What camera do you use? Do you have any suggestions on what I should look for in a camera (I'm a complete noob when it comes to cameras)? Any suggestions on a good camera? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I love that I have such a wonderful community to turn to with questions like this.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 510 Likes on 229 Posts

This may not totally answer your questions, but I have a digital camera and my iPhone takes better pictures. :rolleyes:
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 07:45 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

My phone (Samsung Galaxy) also takes better pictures than my camera. After I take the picture I email it to myself, as I've found that is the easiest way (for me) to get it to my computer for editing/uploading.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an OLD digital camera, and a NEW Android tablet. The tablet takes better pictures.

Based on the info the OP provided, they will need a Lightbox, a Tripod, a decent digital camera, and some editing software.

I'd guess that a digital camera in the $150 - $200 range will be fine. The lightbox can be DIY'd or purchased. Any number of apps can do the editing. I can't recommend specific cameras or lightbox kits right now. I also need to buy a digital camera for product pictures, and I know when I start looking, I'll be looking brands like Samsung, and for something that is less then 3 years old.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunnyView Post
I am planning to open a shop on Etsy to sell my cards. To do so, I will need a decent digital camera. Right now, all I have is my iPhone 8 camera. I'm looking for something that is easy to use and not too expensive. What camera do you use? Do you have any suggestions on what I should look for in a camera (I'm a complete noob when it comes to cameras)? Any suggestions on a good camera? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I love that I have such a wonderful community to turn to with questions like this.
I’d suggest Fionna and Sue are on to something. And that maybe first get the other pieces of equipment you need like a light box, assuming you don’t already have them, and see if your phone camera does the trick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

My vote goes for good lights and something to hold your phone. I'd agree that any more modern smartphone is up to the job. Whether you would actually need a lightbox/tent set-up depends on the conditions of where you will be taking photos. I have one, but don't have the space to leave it permanently set up. Lights with daylight bulbs are a plus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Maybe I'm being naive, but I just went on Etsy and looked at the "handmade card" offerings, and NONE of the photos appeared to be taken in a light box or overly edited. My overall thought is that if you have decent lighting, a decent, somewhat neutral background and a steady hand (or holder for the phone), then you could get photos good enough for your purpose. If editing is needed, the program on your phone or computer is probably adequate. If you were selling the PHOTOS, rather than the cards, by all means invest in a bunch of pricey equipment, lol. Just my opinion, of course, but how many cards would you need to sell to recoup your investment?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree about pricy equipment. Small collapsible light boxes can be found for $20-$30. There also are youtube videos about making your own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2020, 03:52 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

To add to what others have said: How is a digital camera better than a phone camera? It might be better in low light, it might have a more powerful zoom, for distant subjects, and a better macro function for tiny close subjects, it might be able to photograph a fast moving subject better. But you don't need any of these capabilities for a card, they are flat and hold still and you can position them and light them as needed. It seems to me that phones these days are very good at taking photos of documents as that is an important function for business users - focussing on a card is a similar job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2020, 04:21 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I think I will stick with my iPhone. I was just worried it wouldn't look professional. I have a light box that I got for Christmas from my father. Now I just need to get a holder for my phone. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Seriously you do not need a camera. I have an Etsy store. I do have a camera but a lot of times I'm in a rush and use my phone. What you do need to do is learn how to use your edit features on your phone. Changing the exposure usually does the trick to a better picture. Also finding the best lighting in your house to take the pictures helps. Usually by an open window when the sun is all the way up. Hope that helps!

PS: I should add if you are looking for a camera for other reasons as well and really want to purchase one I use a Sony a6000 and love it!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional! -- unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Default Try Scanning

One other option that works well for me is to use a scanner instead of a camera. That keeps the cards flat and provides excellent lighting. You may already have a scanner on your printer. Here is one I scanned recently:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I use an old digital camera and flat photography in natural light then edit on my laptop. My hands are getting less steady though, so could someone recommend a camera or phone holder that doesn't cost a million dollars?

Splitcoast Color Challenge Design Team

Visit my blog: www.stefperry.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri StamperView Post
One other option that works well for me is to use a scanner instead of a camera. That keeps the cards flat and provides excellent lighting. You may already have a scanner on your printer. Here is one I scanned recently:

Now why didn't I think of that Great Idea!
Reply With Quote Likes