Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2023, 04:50 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default die storage on wall or door

I have seen photos of people storing basic shapes dies on magnetic sheets on doors or walls. I have been trying to find the right magnetic board to use. When I search, I get boards that actual magnets will attach to. My metal dies won't work on that. Anyone that uses this type of storage, what and where did you get it?

thanks,
Billie Sue
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2023, 08:55 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't use this method of die storage, but I found this:

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
1029rios (06-21-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 08:58 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Ardyth has good die storage information. She bought white boards and added magnets to that. I see if I can locate her video.

I can't locate her video. Maybe I saw it on one of those organization days with several videos available.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite

Last edited by lovinpaper; 06-15-2023 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: adding information
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2023, 05:03 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to philsmom

I have my die sets on 8.5 x 11.5 magnetic sheets that I store in plastic envelopes. Very often, when I grab a nested die the others will release off the sheet. The envelope prevents it from falling onto the floor. If this happens on a wall, the dies would fall off. Just wondering if the firmness of the wall would prevent them from falling off.

Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (06-29-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 05:03 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

i used self-adhesive magnetic tape on the inside of a cupboard door. See this image in my gallery:

LOVEFEST2014D Die Storage 1 by susanbri at Splitcoaststampers

I found it on Amazon by looking up magnetic tape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwlawkyView Post
I have seen photos of people storing basic shapes dies on magnetic sheets on doors or walls. I have been trying to find the right magnetic board to use. When I search, I get boards that actual magnets will attach to. My metal dies won't work on that. Anyone that uses this type of storage, what and where did you get it?

thanks,
Billie Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2023, 06:40 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi I purchased magnetic sheets at Walmart's craft area. It may not be the greatest but I put my dies on each sheet and put them into a large plastic box. It is an inexpensive way to go. I have many small dies that are easy to lose. so the box keeps them safe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2023, 09:26 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I can't show a photo but I don't know how.
My dies are on a 30 X 60 desk top from Ikea. I ordered it but it had a hole in the backside so they sent another and said dispose of the other one. Yeah, right. My husband hung it on the wall behind my desk with "L" brackets that had holes for screws. I bought magnet sheets from Lowe's which are Magnetic Vent Covers, 3 to a package. It can be cut with scissors. I attached them to the desk top and can store a ton of dies on it. I have had this for years and can't remember what glue I used but you are smart enough to figure that out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2023, 09:54 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought six inexpensive 12x14" frames and put Marietta Magnetics - 25 Magnetic Sheets of 5" x 7" Adhesive 20 mi (Amazon) in them by adhering the sheets to the cardboard backing inside the frame.
I hung them, some vertically and some horizontally, on the wall behind the craft room door with just a bit of two frames showing to remind me to look there! These don't hold all my dies, but I organized the shaped frames dies, birthday, flowers and a few others that I use often. It looks like an art installation, imho, and I definitely use my dies more often now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2023, 09:59 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have nice pegboard with frame. I bundled my basic shapes with ring binder rings (they snap open & closed) You can buy them in different colors and diameters. I hang them on pegs by the rings. I hang my circles, ovals, rectangles, squares on the pegboard. I like that I can pull off a ring and have all the sizes right there together. Dies that match a stamp go with the stamp. For other shapes, I sort by category (flowers, animals, etc) and have those in small "protect&store" plastic boxes stacked up in a drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2023, 10:44 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 497 Likes on 275 Posts

I also have a framed pegboard (store closing sale from Target), mounted behind where I sit at my desk. I bought magnet sheets and job ticket holders on Amazon, and store my dies on the magnet sheets in the job ticket holders, hung on spikes on the pegboard. OK, I have to pull them off to get to the ones behind, but I am able to store SO MANY dies in little space. (I also have pegboard shelves on there for stuff)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2023, 09:33 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One option for storing metal dies on magnetic sheets is to use a magnetic whiteboard. You can find these at office supply stores or online retailers like Amazon. Look for a board with a strong magnetic surface that will hold your dies securely. Another option is to use a magnetic sheet that is specifically designed for storing dies. These sheets are often sold in craft stores, and they may have a self-adhesive backing that allows you to attach them to a wall or other surface. You can also find them online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2023, 05:13 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by philsmomView Post
I have my die sets on 8.5 x 11.5 magnetic sheets that I store in plastic envelopes. Very often, when I grab a nested die the others will release off the sheet. The envelope prevents it from falling onto the floor. If this happens on a wall, the dies would fall off. Just wondering if the firmness of the wall would prevent them from falling off.
Can anyone speak to this? I've been wondering this, too

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2023, 06:06 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wrong sender

Hello, I received this in error. However, I too use magnetic sheets and put them and the dies in a plastic carry all box. So nothing gets lost. The issue is I have to rummage through the layers of sheets to find the die I want. Otherwise it keeps the dies in one safe place
have a nice day. I think you want to look at Phil something or other for her/his message
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2023, 06:40 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
Can anyone speak to this? I've been wondering this, too
This rarely happens, but bending and picking up an unwanted die is about the only exercise I get some day, so there is that! Honestly, it does mean being a little careful sometimes, especially if using nesting dies, but it has worked for me for several years. See my Teachybaby post above.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2023, 07:43 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Various weights of magnetic sheets

Quote:

Originally Posted by philsmomView Post
Are your magnetic sheets attached to anything, say chipboard or heavy cardstock? I find the loose magnetic sheets to be too floppy. There are also heavier grades of magnet sheet. Marietta Magnetics carries at least 2 weights.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2023, 06:18 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I got these mag covers on AZ bc they were cheaper than standards like from Frost King or Accords...

They are truly twice as thick and much heavier. Which means not good for my pouches. But they could be good for wall mounting projects because they are sturdier? They hold well. I cant direct link because my account is open and if I close it, I lose the link. I tried to look them up but was not working. I cant use reg scissors on it like the others-I am using the Holtz heavy cutter and it still pushes the blade away making straight lines hard.

12 Pack Magnetic Vent Cover, 8" X 15.5" Strong Magnet Cover Bulk for AC Vent Floor Vents Cover Decoration Cut-able RV Air Vent Covers for Floor Register Ceiling Air Vents Magnetic Sheet Square White

26 dollars with free ship for Prime making them a little over 2 each.
I think you can also buy this stuff on a roll if that format easier for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2023, 06:34 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I would lose my dies if I hung them on the wall or door. Most of my dies are from stamping up so they already come in a plastic envelope. I just removed them from the cardboard they come on and place them on magnetic sheets the same size and put them back in the envelopes. I also die cut all the images and glue them so that I can see what's in the envelope without having to guess. The other sets I have are in CD cases that I glued in magnetic sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
wavejumper (07-15-2023)