Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered the folders and I will be using them in my Sizzix for now.....but I can not wait for them to arrive!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 06:41 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Where the heck are you gals finding the dies? I got a Cuttlebug a few days ago at M's, but they didn't have any dies. I've done an internet search but am having a really hard time finding anything. :O( All this talk of dies and embossing folders makes me a tad jealous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #43  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
The bowing is normal. ;)

When you no longer get a clean cut on the plate, time to turn it over and use the other side. When you can't get a clean cut on that side, THEN, it's time to switch it to the bottom, and use the other plate. Again, flipping to use the other side until it no longer provides a clean cut. At that point, you can throw it away and replace it with a new one.

You should be able to get quite a bit of mileage out of these plates. :grin:

HTH,
Julie,
Thanks so much for this wonderful piece of information since I'm a die-cut 'tard and just got bit by the 'Bug today, too, thanks to YOU! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimzkardz
Where the heck are you gals finding the dies? I got a Cuttlebug a few days ago at M's, but they didn't have any dies. I've done an internet search but am having a really hard time finding anything. :O( All this talk of dies and embossing folders makes me a tad jealous!
Julie's fault!! She started the stampede, and now the aisles are bare...until stores get the second shipments, lol.

I don't suppose there's a second Michael's in your area? Joanns? If not, mail order/internet order might be your best bet. Be aware though that some of the online stores are PRE-ORDERING right now. They may not actually have their stock in yet. As I found out after ordering from Scrap101.com.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #45  
Insane Embellisher

I just ordered the snowflake A2 embossing folder, a set of four "thanks" embossing 2x2 folders and a set of four "happy birthday" embossing 2x2 folders at creativeXpress.com -- everything I wanted was in stock, so if you're looking for something in particular, check out that site. They even had some embossing folders that haven't been in the stores!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 07:29 PM   #46  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Julie's fault!! She started the stampede, and now the aisles are bare...until stores get the second shipments, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #47  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimzkardz
I just ordered a few embossing folders from www.scrapbook101.com
I can't wait to get the snowflake folder!!! I hope they hurry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysnowflake
I just ordered a few embossing folders from www.scrapbook101.com
I can't wait to get the snowflake folder!!! I hope they hurry.
See my post above about CreativeXpress -- they have the snowflake folder in stock! Not affiliated, just a very satisfied customer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 08:27 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought about Creative Express, but when I ordered mine at SB101, the sale price was 3.19! Kinda hard for me to cancel that order and buy them from CE for 4.98....with such higher shipping! Eek! What's a girl to do???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
I thought about Creative Express, but when I ordered mine at SB101, the sale price was 3.19! Kinda hard for me to cancel that order and buy them from CE for 4.98....with such higher shipping! Eek! What's a girl to do???
Eek! Betsy, that's a good point...I didn't even think about the shipping. Guess I was just enthused about the items actually being in stock and not having to wait until December! I'll remember next time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 09:55 PM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylorgrad
Eek! Betsy, that's a good point...I didn't even think about the shipping. Guess I was just enthused about the items actually being in stock and not having to wait until December! I'll remember next time!
What won't we do to get what we want, when we want it! I have done that so many times, I want it now no matter what the cost
Let us know when you get yours and we can be sooooo envious. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 05:38 AM   #52  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ok I have my sixxiz. It works GREAT with embossing folders, and the dies for the cuttlebug. No problems. Cuts through chipboard and anything else I have tried. I was "thinking" about buying the cuttlebug machine OR Big Shot. Read Julies info and am still not sure!!!!! I'm on the fence about the cuttlebug machine cause the threads that some peoples have broken, and I don't need to layer a bunch of "things" to use their things in my sizzix, just the sizzlet converter.
BUT I can get 1/2 off! LOL!
The other thing is today I'm either buying the cuttlebug OR ANOTHER Alpha. I have been using the Olivia alpha and am in LOVE!
What do you think, another alpha, or the machine itself??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 05:50 AM   #53  
Glitter Guru

Lauren that's a tough one! I was in the same boat as you . . . I've had my Sizzix since they very first came out and really love it. However, I've really wanted a roll-through die-cut machine and was planning on getting a Big Shot until I heard all the rave reviews about the Cuttlebug. For me, Cuttlebug products are available locally (and with coupons!) but Big Shot stuff I'd have to get off the internet and pay shipping so that was my deciding factor. I really don't think you'd be sorry to upgrade your machine to a roll-through -- I know I'm not. But, it was still a tough decision yesterday . . . buy the machine or the "stuff" to play with. In the end I did buy the Cuttlebug and one embossing folder and I'm happy about it. The "stuff" will always be there and there are always more coupons!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #54  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

That is good point!
I have a few hours till the football game is on and I can go shop, so I will definitely think about that point. 1 Aplha is good enough for now-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

I am no expert! Just my 2 cents worth Lauren.
I held a sizzix machine thingy for the first time in my life last week and I thought I was going to fall over - it was so heavy!!!!!!
My mom was borrowing it from her neighbor to do some scrapbooking and she said she would have to have my dad put it on the table for her. We both have sensitive backs I guess.
Anywho, I love my cuttlebug becuase it is so much lighter and with a handle on the top of it its so easy to carry! The plates aren't that bad but I can see what you are saying about all of the layers.
The other thing is that at least with the neighbors machine it took several tims of lowering the handle, checking, repositioning, handel, check etc etc.
Maybe her machine isn't very good but it had a hard time gettinga clean cut the first time. Not to say that the CB is perfect with that but it is easy enough to go forward backward forward and check.
Sorry I can't help you more but I also wanted to add that the size of the CBis awesome compared to sizzix.
Good luck deciding, too bad we all don't have one of those money trees in our living room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 10:02 AM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

Default Inspired by Betsy!

I needed to make a card for my mom's birthday tomorrow, and I wanted to use the Happy Birthday embossing folder...but I was stuck until I saw Betsy's card! Her card was the inspiration for this one. I'm going to put it in my gallery tomorrow (since it's no-upload Sunday), but I'll put a pic here. Colors are Very Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, Mellow Moss and Cranberry Crisp. I used Chocolate Chip grosgrain, as well as gold cord and a gold brad. The edges of the VV piece are edged in Chocolate Chip so they're more defined. I apologize for the cruddy photo -- hopefully you can still see everything!

Thanks again, Betsy!
Attached Thumbnails
Did I say how MUCH I love my Cuttlebug??-embossedhb.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ohhh soo fun Kelly!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #58  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Love it, Kelly!!! Go, Kelly, go!!!!!!

I'm folding laundry. No playing for me until it's done. :(

But, I only have one embossing folder anyway . . . the Stylized Flowers. Geeze, had I know at the time how great it would work, I'd have cleaned out the display . . . :rolleyes: Nobody else in the store had a clue, about the doggone things what they were, nor what to do with 'em, including the salespeople! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Adorable, Kelly! I think my FAVORITE thing about these folders is how they can make such an elegant card in no time! Sort of like the proverbial "little black dress," in that they can be dressed up or down, depending on your whims.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #60  
Glitter Guru

Great CASE, Kelly!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

Aw, thanks, guys! *blush* It was fun to make! I still haven't put it in an envelope yet -- it's propped up next to my computer so I can look at it once in a while and smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #62  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by mytime
Ok I have my sixxiz. It works GREAT with embossing folders, and the dies for the cuttlebug. No problems. Cuts through chipboard and anything else I have tried. I was "thinking" about buying the cuttlebug machine OR Big Shot. Read Julies info and am still not sure!!!!! I'm on the fence about the cuttlebug machine cause the threads that some peoples have broken, and I don't need to layer a bunch of "things" to use their things in my sizzix, just the sizzlet converter.
BUT I can get 1/2 off! LOL!
The other thing is today I'm either buying the cuttlebug OR ANOTHER Alpha. I have been using the Olivia alpha and am in LOVE!
What do you think, another alpha, or the machine itself??
I'll just pose a couple questions- If your Sizzix is working with everything, why the need for a roller-type machine? If you have a hard time pressing with the Sizzix, or if you need a wider or thicker bed to accomodate different die, or if you tend to want to take it on the go, then I might recommend a switch. Otherwise I'd say just use your money on more dies. The rollertype machines arent going anywhere, and it looks like the coupons will work too. No need to get caught up in the hype if you have something that suits your needs just fine. I bought a CB because I didnt have any other cutting/embossing system, and it seemed to be a good value.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #63  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I got bit by the Bug!!!! LOL! This is my first diecut machine.

I went to Jami's house on Saturday and opened the box there. Jami, JJStamper, and I had a blast breaking the bug in!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #64  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I am addicted!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

Well, I gave Mom the birthday card I had made using the Happy Birthday embossing folder...and she loved it! Yay! I took her and a cousin to lunch, and on the way they kept talking about the embossing and how neat it was. So I consider the card a success!

Quote:

I needed to make a card for my mom's birthday tomorrow, and I wanted to use the Happy Birthday embossing folder...but I was stuck until I saw Betsy's card! Her card was the inspiration for this one. I'm going to put it in my gallery tomorrow (since it's no-upload Sunday), but I'll put a pic here. Colors are Very Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, Mellow Moss and Cranberry Crisp. I used Chocolate Chip grosgrain, as well as gold cord and a gold brad. The edges of the VV piece are edged in Chocolate Chip so they're more defined. I apologize for the cruddy photo -- hopefully you can still see everything!

Thanks again, Betsy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #66  
Mad Swapper

Yay! Glad your Mom liked it! I think you can't go wrong with the Happy Birthday folder, it should get LOTS of use.
PS - I just got mine today - yay for me!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kelly if she DIDN'T like it you would have had to have taken it back and sent it to me in August! Cause I loved it!!!

So glad she liked it....makes all those "hours" of work worth it right? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
Kelly if she DIDN'T like it you would have had to have taken it back and sent it to me in August! Cause I loved it!!!

So glad she liked it....makes all those "hours" of work worth it right? ;)
You know, I don't think I told her how long it took me to make the card...the most difficult part, actually, was coming up with a color combo! And Keri, be watching your mailbox...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #69  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Well, I gave Mom the birthday card I had made using the Happy Birthday embossing folder...and she loved it! Yay! I took her and a cousin to lunch, and on the way they kept talking about the embossing and how neat it was. So I consider the card a success!

I *knew* she would!!!! So flippin' CUTE!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #70  
Inking Addict

Kelly, your card is great! I am glad your mom liked it so much. I think the embossing folders are terrific!

Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #71  
Crimping Master

Ok I do not want to hijack this thread so if I need to post somewhere else please point me in the right direction my questions is I have the cricut and and love it but I also like the cuttlebug should I get the cuttlebut too or is not really needed if I have the cricut I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #72  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebearry2429
I have the cricut and and love it but I also like the cuttlebug should I get the cuttlebug too or is not really needed if I have the cricut
Die cutting machines like the CB and the Big Shot can cut through materials like felt, chipboard, fun foam, etc with ease, while a Cricut can only cut through cardstock and lighter weight paper. That is the main difference b/w manual die cutting machines and the electronic 'printer style' machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Amanda, you will likely want the Cuttlebug too. OK, I know that just sounds like enabling, well OK maybe it is.....but they really do different types of things! As Mel says, the Cricut can't do thicker materials like chipboard, and it can't do the embossing folders either. The folders is the main reason I got my CB....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #74  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyesMom
I made a card the other day. I used brushed copper cardstock and sponged black ink over it. Oh lordy, its pretty.

Post it please!!!!!!!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #75  
Crimping Master

I bought mine yesterday! I love it...And the Lime Green matches my stamp room...It was just meant to be!!!!!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #76  
Cardstock Collector

Default which one to buy?

Hi ladies, I just registered so I could talk to people. I'm a K-4 art teacher and avid stamper. We had a snow day today and I have made so many cards I'm burned out for the day. I am trying to decide if the Cricut is really worth the money. I have been reading the messages about Cuttlebug and Big Shot. I've never heard of Big Shot. Can anyone tell me how a Sizzix and Cuttlebug are different?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #77  
Stampin' Fool

The main difference is that Sizzix operates with a handle/press, and the Cuttlebug and Big Shot are roller-type die machines. (turn the handle, and the platform with dies move along a roller)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingo4us
Hi ladies, I just registered so I could talk to people. I'm a K-4 art teacher and avid stamper. We had a snow day today and I have made so many cards I'm burned out for the day. I am trying to decide if the Cricut is really worth the money. I have been reading the messages about Cuttlebug and Big Shot. I've never heard of Big Shot. Can anyone tell me how a Sizzix and Cuttlebug are different?

Thanks
Hi, welcome to SCS, home of the world's leading enablers! I love my Cuttlebug too, because it's very lightweight and portable compared with the Sizzix. And the dies are much, much smaller. I love it. (Or did I say that??)

The Cricut is wonderful too, it's just a different type. You may want to go Cuttlebug or Big Shot first. That would give you a better idea of how much you'd use it. Then, if you still want to go for a Cricut, in a few months' time the prices should have come down even more.

What'd I tell ya? Enablers 'R Us.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, my gosh, hon. Catch the first train out of "enable town" or before you know what hit you, you will own the cuddlebug, big shot AND the cricut and ALL accessories thanks to Mayor JulieHRR and council members MissBetsy and EllenH (not to mention all the other gals wanting to run for these offices).

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingo4us

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #80  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Maniac II
I bought mine yesterday! I love it...And the Lime Green matches my stamp room...It was just meant to be!!!!!

well this is just meant to be for you. but now you gotta post pics of your cuttlebug matching room! come on you know you want to! oh, and your CB definatley should be in the pic!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes