Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dew Drops

What is everyone using on their cards that look like clear dew drops or raindrops?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I use pouring medium. I have the Liquitex brand. I have used Glossy Accents & Diamond Glaze. Since I found out about pouring medium as a better archival alternative I now use that exclusively.

I have heard really good things about Nuvo Clear Crystal Drops. I just watched a video OOAK doll tutorial where she used Nuvo Clear Drops to make tear drops on the doll. The result was stunning, even the video captured the detail.

Glossy Accents has a yellow tinge for those who love the age look. I don't fall in that category. I like a nice clear glass look. I hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2020, 05:07 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to use Ranger Glossy Accents a lot and really like it - it’s very easy to apply. For some reason for a while I’ve forgotten about it.

It’s been clear on my projects. I was curious about your comment, lylacfey, so dug out a card I made a couple years ago and it’s still clear. Maybe a warmer tinge could from glue or whatever is under it, heat, something else...  The mysteries of playing with paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

bjeans- Here's some info on the yellow tinge- http://everydaymoodlings.blogspot.com/2015/05/comparing-five-different-dimensional.html

I know some of the ladies over here have mentioned the yellow tinge. I do get the yellow tinge on certain substrates.

I have a feeling that when glossy accents meets it's substrate the substrate material causes the yellow tinge. If you put glossy accents under a daylight you can see the yellow tinge. It's not glaring or anything but it's there.

I think it's Suze Weinberg that mentioned that Glossy Accents does have a slightly yellow tinge like UTEE to give things a nice distressed look. Since it's a Ranger brand I believed them. Don't quote me that it was Suze who mentioned that. I do remember clearly it was one of our stamping stars from the mid-2000's.

What I have heard from reviews that Clear Dew Drops is very clear.

I have Glossy Accents, Diamond Glaze, Liquitex Pouring Medium. I even have the Crackle Glaze. I love all of them for different reasons.

If I wanted to do raindrops I definitely would use Diamond Glaze, Clear Dew Drops or Pouring Medium. I would want my drops to be super clear. If I wanted something with a slight tinge I would pick up Glossy Accents.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2020, 02:34 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Some reviews refer to Glossy Accents' clarity too, and there isn’t a yellow undertone on my projects - unless on papers or inks that already have a warm or vintage tone. It would have bugged me if making a brightly colored card, and working and educating about color and undertones was part of my job. Clearly (hah) YMMV. 

Btw, Ranger carries lines and products that are clear and bright rather than vintage inspired. 

This week I made 60 little pillow boxes to hold candy for trick-or-treaters (socially distanced candy on tables) and for our veterinarian and staff (but for cat treats), and this thread made me go back and Glossy Accent some of the small, stamped elements, made them pop, so speaking of popping, glad this thread popped up. 

ETA: I likely won’t be on the forum for a week or two, so won’t be able to see responses. 

Last edited by bjeans; 10-31-2020 at 02:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2020, 06:35 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

My experience with Glossy Accents, Diamond Glaze, and the SU brand is that they all yellow in the bottle over time.  I won't use them in my scrapbooks anymore, but I still occasionally use them on cards.  I really like the crystal clear Nuvo Drops.  I also have a lot of clear plastic dew drops that I bought at Michael's years ago.  None of those have yellowed, so I'm set for a while 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your responses.  I had been wondering about the Nuvo product.  I read often and seldom post, but I know where to go when I need the experts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I've also seen people make their own with hot glue. Depending on the glue stick, some would be more translucent than clear, but there are clear sticks out there, as well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

In addition to clear liquid drops there are clear plastic ones from many companies. They might call them water drops or dew drops. They come in asst sizes. I am showing smooth but they come faceted also and may be called jewels. 

Studio Katia
https://www.studiokatia.com/search?q=clear+drops

Pretty Pink Posh
https://prettypinkposh.com/collections/misc/products/4mm-clear-droplets-small

HAI at Ellen Hutson
https://www.ellenhutson.com/hai-sequins-clear-droplets/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2020, 03:40 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

The only clear drops I use now are from Allstarco; they are tiny, gorgeous and blemish free. Professional grade quality:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

ooooo Linda-that is a cool site! Right into my excel list! Thanks! So much more economical. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2020, 11:55 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

bjeans- When you get back I would love to know Ranger's line that has crystal clear products. I am addicted to those kind of things. I will throw them money.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile Clear Nuvo Drops

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoBelleView Post
Thank you all for your responses.  I had been wondering about the Nuvo product.  I read often and seldom post, but I know where to go when I need the experts.

I rally like the Nuvo drops clear for water drops.  Very effective and very clear! 
Reply With Quote Likes