Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I have the Cuttlebug, also just for embossing folders and Nestabilities, and I've wondered if the Big Shot has any added value for me. I'm not so convinced by the posts here . . . some people say it's "easier" than the Cuttlebug but I still don't know why. I do like the compact storage of the Cuttlebug.

This brings me to my question, LetteringMama: Which did you choose and why?

You made your decision pretty early in the thread and I'm really curious ;)
Phantom, I did make my decision pretty early on and ordered the Big Shot. I truly appreciate all who tried to help me make my decision. I always told myself I did not want a BS but changed my mind. Whether or not I made the right decision, guess I'll know when my BS arrives.

Why I chose that one is because I like the idea of storing my plates right in the machine when not in use, since it seems to have a better platform, instead of hauling them out everytime I want to do something. I like the idea of the sandwiches being printed right there so I don't have to pull out my tell all sheet every time. Also, my CB does not suction down on my work table like it's supposed to thus kind of rocks around and I'm thinking the BS will sit better on the table. I like the feature that it's a bit wider hence I hope to use a bit wider materials in there.

These are not earth shattering features for sure but it appeals to me after I thought it through. I will keep my CB for now because it's a bit more portable if I want to take it anywhere.

I still would recommend a CB to anyone who might like something a bit less expensive. It's cute and works well. There, I've confessed
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Those are all great reasons. Actually, if SU had the Big Shot earlier, I probably would have purchased it instead.

For now, the CB is fine even though it loosens its grip now and then - I just hold it down anyway. If my sister (who just started scrapping) is interested, I may switch. I paid $65 for my CB and the difference at SU doesn't seem that bad. As long as I can use my CB embossing folders and Nestabilities in it, I'd be okay.

All of those pads, etc., in the SU catalog aren't really necessary are they?? Heck, I just like to do the basics -- cut and emboss, nothin' fancy But in the future, it'd be nice to know I could do more if I wanted to be adventurous!

At least there's no urgency - I have the CB and it's simple. I'll probably take some measurements and keep reading though. . . leave my options open!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts ~ I hope you LOVE your Big Shot and I'm sure it was a great choice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #43  
Inking Addict

LOVE my Stampin' Up Big Shot.. I also own a Quickutz, Acu-cut, sidekick and Cricket expression... I find I am only using my BIGSHOT.... The wide platform it the best.. The crank is easy to turn.. My Acu-cut is had to turn and the platform is to small for such a huge die-cut machine..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tenn.....Between the Cuttlebug, BIGkick and BigShot, yes they can each do the same things. Cuttlebug is smaller machine and a different kind of plastic than either the BIGkick or BigShot. BIGkick and BigShot are a bit larger and can handle the XL does with the proper cutting pads. The Cuttlebug can't handle the XL cutting pads (pads are too wide).

I just feel the BIGkick is the better deal based on the fact that you can purchase it in a store with a coupon and don't have to pay shipping. In my area the BigShot is not available in any store. I also feel the BIGkick and BigShot are stronger machines and more durable. The suction cups that are on the bottom of the Cuttlebug, I've never found to be of any good. You still have to hold the top of the machine to keep it steady. The BIGkick and BigShot are a bit heavier so they don't slip around on the table as easily (yes, you still may have to hold them a bit for stability). They are also lower to the table which gives them more stability.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

Default Bigz XL dies in the CB

I read that you can use the Bigz XL dies in the CB if you have two sets of the BS cutting pads for their decorative strip dies. Instead of the XL pad which is too wide for the CB, you put two of the narrower decorative strip ones side by side and they are supposed to fit through the opening. The second set is for the top half of the sandwich. I would try that before investing in a second machine if you are otherwise happy with your CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #46  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks so much for the idea. Then, you just buy 2 set of the BS cutting pads, right? There are so many accessories to buy, for sure!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #47  
Compulsive Stamper

Patti--Tis' true--my Cuttlebug does move around a bit. It only bothers me when I am trying to hold the "nesties" in place, and the top of the machine in place, and turn the handle. LOL
I really appreciate all the feeback.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Default XL Dies in CB

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennView Post
Thanks so much for the idea. Then, you just buy 2 set of the BS cutting pads, right? There are so many accessories to buy, for sure!!!
I think so. I haven't actually tried it, only seen it on-line in a post or video. I've looked at so much stuff researching which machine to buy that I can't remember where.

There is also this post from crooked stamper :infoForums at SplitcoaststampersFor those of you that have the Cuttlebug and want to use the Bigz xl dies in your machine. I found a way to get around the fact that the acrylic plates are too wide.
I took and old self healing cutting mat and cut it the length and width of the xl die. It worked fine. Seemed a bit thin as I ran it through my Cuttlebug but it did the job !
Not sure how many times I can pass it through before it falls apart but for now it will do.
Next I will try to find a sheet of acrylic the same thickness and cut it down to size.

I want to use the XL A2 envelope die, so I was trying to find out if the CB would do it. Almost everywhere I looked people said no, so I pretty much had decided to get the BS, when I stumbled on the answer about the skinny 13" plates side by side. If I already had a CB, I would have looked into it more and tested it, but since I don't have either, I decided to play it safe and order a BS.

Anyway, if you look, you may find several options that will work. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I just gave my Mom my BigKick this weekend. I loved the machine and thought it was great. I just prefer my Cuttlebug. I want the space. I am used to the recipes. Having the Big Kick I had to learn recipes all over again. My big final decision is a bit silly but it worked for me.

If I saw the CB and BK in the stores for half off. I could buy one I would squeal to get the Cuttlebug because it's cute, tiny and perfect for me. I would even buy it over the Hello Kitty BK or the blue BigShot.

I do think the BK, BS has a better sturdier base. If you craft on the floor then that is a huge deciding factor. I do craft on the floor but I have my CB set up on a glass mat. That works well for me.

The BK is kind of bulky when you have it stored in a Rubbermaid container and you have to take it out all the time. I can grab my CB, Cricut Mats, and plates all at once.

HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #50  
Compulsive Stamper

Dogszruleca--You are very creative and persistent. LOL. That is great! The two combined make a great stamper. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #51  
Compulsive Stamper

Lylacfey--Thanks for the comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Red face Just passing it along

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennView Post
Dogszruleca--You are very creative and persistent. LOL. That is great! The two combined make a great stamper. Thanks.
I can't really take credit for anything other than passing the info along that other people came up with in the first place.

I put in time to do the research but that was for my own benefit. I will only ever have one machine, so it has to be the right one for me and do all the things I want. The CB will, but other factors were also a consideration and made the BS the choice for me in the end, but it might not be for someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

I own a Cuttlebug and did own a Sizzix BIGkick. I returned the BIGkick. Let me say that it is personal preference on the machine. Both machines can take the same dies and embossing folders. Although you may need to get extra accessories to make the different dies compatible.

The main differences between the CB and BIGkick are
1. How you create your sandwiches. The BIGKICK has the instructions on the folder platform. However, the platform is a folder style which makes using it a pain because it is twice as long as the actual cutting plates you are using. I find the folder hitting or knocking into something and a bit awkward to use. The Cuttlebug plates are easier to use, but you also have to have the plate structure memorized for using different dies or refer to your instructions.

2. Suction and Portability. The CB suction pads are pretty much useless. However if you are working on a table it really isn't that bad. The BIGkick is very bottom heavy making it much more sturdy, but a pain to travel with. The CB folds up and is easily portable. The CB also takes less storage room. The BIGkick does not fold up.

3. Price. The Cuttlebug retails for $79.99, but I have seen it as low as $34.99 online. The Sizzix BIGkick retails for $99.99, but you can purchase the BIG SHOT (which I am told) is the same thing as the BIGkick for $79.99. You can use 40%, 50%, or Free Ship coupons for both the BIGkick and Cuttlebug.

Both machines to the same exact thing. It really depends on what you need and personal preference. If you need something that is easily stored away, something that is easy to travel with and are mainly working on hard surfaces then I would recommend the Cuttlebug. If you like to work on the floor or different surfaces, not really going to travel with it, and don't mind dealing with the longer platform folder then I recommend the BIGkick. If you know someone who has the CB or BIGkick or who has both I highly recommend trying them out and then buying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #54  
Compulsive Stamper

You know----I wondered about that folder. I tried it at a stamp shop and it got in the way more than it helped....seemed cumbersome. Thanks for the comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

My mom has a CB and wanted the Matchbox die. I had read on several threads that people were just cutting down the extended pads a little. She had my dad run them through a table saw and that worked great. Much easier than trying to use 2 decorative strip pads on top and 2 on the bottom.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just curious here - for those of you that use the cuttlebug, how many times have you had to replace the B plates? And has anybody ever had to replace the A or C plate? I have 2 sets of B plates and one of the plates is really starting to warp. I wonder what causes that? I have only used nestabilities and cuttlebug dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #57  
Compulsive Stamper

I have not had my CB more than 3 months, but so far, the plates are fine. I use A, C, nesty, B as a sandwich. I have a friend who usually uses A, B, nesty, C as a sandwich and hers is beginning to warp. She, however, has had hers longer, and says she just turns the plate over. I have been thinking about getting a second machine...the Big Shot, but I just don't know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I have no experience with the Cuttlebug but love my Big Shot. Today, I tried my Sizzix embossing folders for the first time. I LOVE THEM. I enjoy my CB folders too but I love that I can a full 1/4 sheet with the Sizzix folders. And, just in general, it couldn't be easier to use. I had no trouble from the first time on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #59  
Compulsive Stamper

Mungojerry.....do the flip over sandwich folders get in your way?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Tenn, I ran across a cuttlebug video somewhere and she suggested using post it notes to hold the nesties in place. I have been doing that ever since and no problem, it works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #61  
Compulsive Stamper

virpags---I will try that; great idea...and relieves one more hand. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

SewnMachine- I have replaced all three of my plates. Reason is because I was a dingbat, lol. I lost my C and A plates. My B plates I had to replace because I warped them. I then learned you need to flip them over and turn them around. If you do that they will last a long time. I found my C and A plates. I am happy to have several sets. I do mixed media: beading, fabric, etc... so my plates do take a beating. If you are just using paper the plates will last forever. Mine take a beating and I replace once a year.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 AM   #63  
Cardstock Collector

Has anyone tried running the stampin up texturz plates through the cuttlebug? I really like a few of their plates but think they might be a tad bigger and am wondering if they will fit.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also own a BS and CB. They are both out all the time for me to use but I always use the CB. I love how easy it is to move around and use and for some reason I always gravitate towards it. Not sure why.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

I own a Cuttlebug and Bigshot. I like the CB more because of the ease of use. Too many plates for the Bigshot. The only reason I got the BS was for the XL dies from SU. You don't really need to though because the XL dies go throuhg the CB you just need to either feed it twice or buy an extra set of B plates. EVERYTHING goes through the Cuttlebug! Sizzix, quickutz, nesties you just need the right sandwich.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

:confused: I said to myself, "Self," I said, "cuttelbug..big shot..cuttlebug..big shot..cuttlebug... this is like ping-pong in my brain.... help help..." :mrgreen:

:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #67  
Cardstock Collector

Default cuttlebug plates

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Just curious here - for those of you that use the cuttlebug, how many times have you had to replace the B plates? And has anybody ever had to replace the A or C plate? I have 2 sets of B plates and one of the plates is really starting to warp. I wonder what causes that? I have only used nestabilities and cuttlebug dies.
I use my cuttlebug ALOT. So I wear out my b plates constantly. Seriously I think I have to buy b plates every 3 weeks or so. Most of all my dies are cuttlebug dies so I don't really use my c plate at all. I have not had to replace my A plate at all. It is holding up just fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #68  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by amtribbettView Post
Has anyone tried running the stampin up texturz plates through the cuttlebug? I really like a few of their plates but think they might be a tad bigger and am wondering if they will fit.

Thanks for your help!
I would like to know this, too. Anyone know??
I haven't seen either in person so I have no clue about the dimensions/width of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

can't get to my Cuttlebug right now, BUT I measured the texturz plates, against the mat for the Cuttlebug, and it is a little larger. No sure if it will still for through the Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #70  
Matboard Maniac

Exclamation Every three weeks!?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4loveofpaperView Post
I use my cuttlebug ALOT. So I wear out my b plates constantly. Seriously I think I have to buy b plates every 3 weeks or so. Most of all my dies are cuttlebug dies so I don't really use my c plate at all. I have not had to replace my A plate at all. It is holding up just fine.
Holy cow!:eek: Guess you can't say you haven't got your money's worth out of your CB!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #71  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRKIDDOView Post
can't get to my Cuttlebug right now, BUT I measured the texturz plates, against the mat for the Cuttlebug, and it is a little larger. No sure if it will still for through the Cuttlebug.
Thanks for doing that!
That tidbit of info is probably the decision maker for me. I like the SU texture plates. If I could save some money by using the CB, I could buy more plates, but if they won't fit, does me no god!!!
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #72  
Insane Embellisher

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycarrieView Post
Thanks for doing that!
That tidbit of info is probably the decision maker for me. I like the SU texture plates. If I could save some money by using the CB, I could buy more plates, but if they won't fit, does me no god!!!
Thanks again.
No problem, hope it helps, sorry I couldn't give you a moe definite answer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #73  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

:confused: I said to myself, "Self," I said, "cuttelbug..big shot..cuttlebug..big shot..cuttlebug... this is like ping-pong in my brain.... help help..." :mrgreen:

:rolleyes:
Oh Phantom, you've given me my laugh for the day. I can visualize your dilemma.

Do you know anyone who has a BS that would let you try it to see how you like it? That might make your decision easier since you already know how the CB works. I probably should have tried a BS myself before I ordered it but....tooo late now, it's a done deal. My BS is not here yet so hope I like it and am not just adding to my artsy stash of stuff. I hope to have it next week and am looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I only own a CB and love it, but have thought about getting the BS for the different size plates it will take, but have found that most things can be adapted. You can run the embossing folders from SU through and I even use my Fiskers texture plates in my CB. They are bigger than the folders, but just fit. If my CB ever breaks, I may purchase a BS, but for now me and my bug do just fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2009, 10:40 PM   #75  
Compulsive Stamper

I have all the texturz plates from SU and they fit fine in my bug....I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #76  
Cardstock Collector

I have a question about the embossing folders for the Big Shot. Do they work in the CB? I love my CB and there are some BS folders I'd like to get but want to make sure they'll work. Looks like they are pretty much the same. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetteringMamaView Post
Oh Phantom, you've given me my laugh for the day. I can visualize your dilemma.

Do you know anyone who has a BS that would let you try it to see how you like it? That might make your decision easier since you already know how the CB works. I probably should have tried a BS myself before I ordered it but....tooo late now, it's a done deal. My BS is not here yet so hope I like it and am not just adding to my artsy stash of stuff. I hope to have it next week and am looking forward to it.
I can't believe I only just now saw your reply!! Do you like your BS now that you have it??

I did get one. On a thread somewhere, someone gave us a tip that they were 20% off at scrapbook alley (something like that!) and free shipping, so I took the plunge.

Well. I keep the Big Shot in the same basic location and I put my folders and a few dies in a different box than I had them, and I don't need a box anymore for my plates.... basically, it all takes up the same or slightly LESS space and I have two of those turquoise SU tins that they used to sell the punch sets in that I can now use for something else!

Also, I think I can use the BS right inside my cabinet but it's near the floor so I'll probably just set it out when I want it. That's peachy with me ~ my C'bug would suction to the floor but then come off when I turned the handle. Here's the funny part -- the Big Shot is more fun to use. *shrugging shoulders* I don't know why!! I mean, basically, you're doing the same thing. Go figure. It's fun! It's really solid and I do believe it embosses more deeply with the C'bug folders.

I'm very happy with it and will either sell my C'bug or give it to my sister who is just starting in scrapbooking. I also feel good knowing that a lot of things down the road will undoubtedly be compatible with the BS, and who knows what SU will come up with for it, too.

Loads of fun and happy with it -- hope you are, too, LetteringMama!

(One thing I'd change ~ it's the girly one with pink and bling... not exactly my style!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I can't believe I only just now saw your reply!! Do you like your BS now that you have it??

I did get one. On a thread somewhere, someone gave us a tip that they were 20% off at scrapbook alley (something like that!) and free shipping, so I took the plunge.

Well. I keep the Big Shot in the same basic location and I put my folders and a few dies in a different box than I had them, and I don't need a box anymore for my plates.... basically, it all takes up the same or slightly LESS space and I have two of those turquoise SU tins that they used to sell the punch sets in that I can now use for something else!

Also, I think I can use the BS right inside my cabinet but it's near the floor so I'll probably just set it out when I want it. That's peachy with me ~ my C'bug would suction to the floor but then come off when I turned the handle. Here's the funny part -- the Big Shot is more fun to use. *shrugging shoulders* I don't know why!! I mean, basically, you're doing the same thing. Go figure. It's fun! It's really solid and I do believe it embosses more deeply with the C'bug folders.

I'm very happy with it and will either sell my C'bug or give it to my sister who is just starting in scrapbooking. I also feel good knowing that a lot of things down the road will undoubtedly be compatible with the BS, and who knows what SU will come up with for it, too.

Loads of fun and happy with it -- hope you are, too, LetteringMama!

(One thing I'd change ~ it's the girly one with pink and bling... not exactly my style!)
I'm so glad you like your new BS. I have to admit, my new one is still in the box it came in. Why, you ask? Well, we sold the house and have to pack so it seemed silly to unpack anything right now. I sure hope our next home has a nice space for me to set up my artroom again! I can't wait to get back at doing my crafting etc.! All in good time I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #79  
Embossing Fanatic

I love my cuttlebug and just adhered to a big tile and is not moving awesome!! I like the Big shot too. I dislike having to flip through the plates to figure out which one to use I think that the cuttlebug is easier to use in that sense!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #80  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I also own a BS and CB. They are both out all the time for me to use but I always use the CB. I love how easy it is to move around and use and for some reason I always gravitate towards it. Not sure why.
blessings.
Yes...this is me too!
Reply With Quote Likes