Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cuttlebug & sizzix ?

Is ther anybody here who owns both the cuttlebug and the sizzix (big shot or Big kick).
If so I would like to ask some questions.....
- why do you have both machines?
- what does one machine that the other does not?
- would you recommend having both?

Thanks to everybody that reads my threat and replies.
:-D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had both but ended up selling my cuddlebug on craigslist. I don't see a real need to have both. The Big Shot does everything the cuddlebug does and more and I have managed to find a place for it on my desk. I put a locker shelf on top of my marker storage and the bigshot sits on top and I can actually use it right there on top of the shelf, no need to take up desk space. The only pro of having both I would think would be if you wanted to take your cuddlebug with you to crops or playdates. It is smaller and therefor lighter and portable. With the BigShot you get the option of diecutting bigger dies, the XL dies can cut a whole A2 card and make all kinds of cool 3D items if you are into that sort of thing.

Last edited by Michellena317; 03-01-2010 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too had both and just sold by cuddlebug. I kept the bigshot for 2 reasons: first, I found it more stable as I always has issues with the suction cups holding on the CB. Second, I know I don't have to worry about the XL sizzix dies fitting in my BS. AS Michelle said - if you need portability, the CB has the advantage, but I have also taken my BS on the road with no problem.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I first had the Cuttlebug but then I bid for the fun of it on ebay for the doctor's bag and Big Kick and Side Kick-end uo winning the whole lot for $60.00. They were from a non smoking home and gently used-They all looked like they were used perhaps once1 I use the Cuttlebug when I need to carry it to a crop-otherwise....I love the Big Kick(similar to the Bigshot except for colour!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both. I have had my CB for a while, but recently purchased a Big Shot. Since I am a SU demo, I wanted to be able to use the BIG xl dies without a problem and I also liked the fact that the embossing folders were a little bigger than CB folders. Am I keeping my CB? Yes I am. First, it has been a good little machine for me and 2ndly, I want to be able to demo to people who have the CB that they can use many of the SU! dies and embossing folders in the CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

As much as I love my Cuttlebug, if I had to do it again, I would get the Big Shot!!!

I love so many of the XL dies that Stampin' Up! offers (no, I'm not a demonstrator) and they don't fit in my Cuttlebug!

And as far as I know, all the Cuttlebug Embossing Folders that I use (I own 50+ of them-can we say addicted?!) and my Spellbinder Nesties would work just fine with the Big Shot. Not to mention, I've seen the Big Shot for as little as $48 at Joann's (it was already on sale for 40% off-they actually go on sale now that the electronic cutting machines are so popular- and then they had a 20% off your whole order, including sale items). I am still kicking myself for not getting one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I have owned my Cuttlebug for about a year. I got the big shot for Christmas. If I had to choose one, I would definitely pick the Big Shot. It does so much more and on a larger scale. I purchased mine on Amazon.com. They go on sale on a regular basis and ship for free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I have both and tend to use both. I like my Big Shot for die cutting but when I want to run an embossing folder through I prefer my CB. It is just easier to get out as I don't have a dedicated spot for either machine. If you can only get one though, I would say the BS might be a better deal. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Default SIzzits on the CB?

Love my CB, and recently purchased some SU sizzlits. Im having trouble getting them to actually cut thru paper. :confused: I have used other sizzlits purchased at Michael's without problem, but they are a bit bigger. Any tips or ideas on how to get it to cut out cleanly?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I still have both. I get the Cuttlebug out when I have a smaller space to work in. I still have my Sidekick as well, just haven't used it as much though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
I have both and tend to use both. I like my Big Shot for die cutting but when I want to run an embossing folder through I prefer my CB. It is just easier to get out as I don't have a dedicated spot for either machine. If you can only get one though, I would say the BS might be a better deal. HTH!
Every time I see this post, this is my thought. I got a great deal on a Boutique after I had my BigShot. I will use my BigShot for everything when I am just doing a card or two. But when I am mass producing, I like to set up my BigShot for cutting and use my Boutique for embossing.

I say if you have the room, keep it!

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by havin2muchfunView Post
Love my CB, and recently purchased some SU sizzlits. Im having trouble getting them to actually cut thru paper. :confused: I have used other sizzlits purchased at Michael's without problem, but they are a bit bigger. Any tips or ideas on how to get it to cut out cleanly?
When dies do not cut through it is always about the pressure needed to cut and that means you do not have enough pressure with just the plates. Sometimes dies made from the same manufacturer can be just a bit smaller or larger give you fits with cutting. Also, our machines can be calibrated differently with less or more pressure.

Shims are needed to get that added pressure. Start with just a piece of cardstock added to the plate sandwich, and see if it is enough to cut cleanly. First are you using the sandwich of: A plate/B plate/ cardstock/ die/B plate? You can add more pieces of cardstock or paper to the sandwich to get the cut you desire. When you find the one that works for you, don't forget to write it down! Sometimes you can turn your die a bit, run it through again, that works for intricate dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

I have the cuttlebug and the Big Shot Pro. The Pro is the really big Big Shot. I purchased it because I wanted to use the very large dies - ones that are larger than 6" wide. I still use the bug for my smaller dies and most nestabilities, but I LOVE the BSP for the mega dies! It does however take up a big part of my table space and is super heavy, but it is worth every penny!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I go to a lot of crops and retreats. I started off with the "Original Sizzix"...the old red one. Then came the "BigShot"...and then the Cuttlebug. I still have them all...I love my Cuttlebug for traveling. Not always a lot of space at crops & retreats. I am a tool collector...Vagabond, Cricut Create and the Grand Calibur. Each one have their special use for me. I am a cardmaker by nature and a scrapbooker by special occasion. I say get what you pocketbook will allow you to have and have fun...God Bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Sizzlet dies in the CB cut better if you place die face up, cardstock on top. I had trouble too until I learned that trick.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the tip! I had read on an earlier post that there were tutorials or videos on using die cuts for different machines, but couldnt find it when I needed it!

I knew someone had figured it out already...thanks for sharing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Cuttlebug Machine. I like it cause it fit's nicely into a doctor bag. It folds up. Take up less space.

I use all the older style Sizzix dies as well as the thin sizzix dies.

Regular size embossing folders.

I can use most of the dies that Stampin' Up! sells. as well as Spellbinder dies.

And life style dies.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I have both, love both, and use both. I wouldn't want to get rid of either machine. For me, the CB just seems easier if I want a quick embossed background. I use the CB more often, for this very reason, I'd say. Yet, my Big Shot works better for my BIGZ dies and some of the Tim Holtz things I use. I have his magnetic tray or whatever its called and there are specific dies that you get that work in this, for which the BS is perfect for.

Bottom line---I am glad I have both machines. I have them out on a table, side by side. I use whichever machine I need for the particular card I am making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

I owned both at one point and loved both machines. I will say that i agree with most of the ladies in that the big shot is sturdier. I decided to get rid of my cuttlebug for space issues, otherwise I would have kept it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the Big Shot but have used friends' CB. I prefer the BS. I suggest getting the new longer Solo Platform, too, and extended cutting pads. With my new platform I have had to use cardstock shims for some dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

I too am a tool collector...I use each machine for different reasons and selling them seems a little silly because the weight/cost of shipping make it cost prohibitive so I would get very little for them. I like having backups if something breaks or I need a new cutting pad etc.....I have been stamping/scrapping for 10 years and my tool addiction is getting the better of me lol! I still have a ZIP E' MATE and I don't even think they make them anymore....I own a cricut but find the art of hand cranking those other machines more satisfying. Anyone else feel that way?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemarti314uView Post
I own a cricut but find the art of hand cranking those other machines more satisfying. Anyone else feel that way?
YES! Resounding screaming YES! I have a lot of die cutters that are electronic. I love manual cutting more. I found it less limiting because of material choices. Of course it's limiting due to designs since you can't make your own or buy cartridges filled with designs like the Slice or Cricut. I really love to manual die cut. It is satisfying, quicker and less hassle. I love to hand cut too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #23  
Glitter Queen

I got my Cuttlebug first and chose it over the original red Sizzix machine several years ago, used coupons @ Michael's with a Christmas gift card several years ago. I graduated to a Sizzix Big Shot Express(the electric one with push button) because I'm kissing 50 and used a coupon for it too with free ship. LOL and I love it but there have been murmurings that the motor will give out if you mass produce on it and this is why they are no longer making it and have started supplying the Vagabond. I will use mine until it dies. And i keep my Cuttlebug to take with me, butmdont get your pads mixed up, the sizzix pads will not fit in the CB.

I own various companies dies, but I like the Sizzix thick dies best because I can cut several thicknesses of paper when I mass produce for the holidays. I give treats to all kinds of people, friends, family, neighbors, girls at bank, vet, hubby's coworkers, etc. My son treated me to the Accucut Grand Mark (it's the one the schools use) and I love it too because you can get the whole treat box dies all you have to glue is the tabs. I got it and all accessories at 30% off with free ship. I researched and chose it over the Sizzix Pro because i can cut the Pro dies on it, so i have the best of both worlds and the Accucut trays and pads were less expensive in the long run. I may want to do some quilt die cutting later and the machine has a lifetime guarantee and it will cut any die with the right platforms. I used it to do the treat boxes and embossing the fronts of our trifolded 8 1/2 x 11 invitations, couldn't have done that on the smaller machines without marring the backs of the invitation on the smaller machines.

So I agree, get what you can afford now because you can always upgrade later. Watch for coupons, Alot of the chain stores will let you use their competors coupons. And they will let you use both at the same time. Sign up online for JoAnns, Michaels and Hobby Lobby, they will even scan it from your smart phone so you don't have to print them. Sign up for Sizzix too, they have their outlet now with great deals. JoAnns has sales on die cutting stuff all the time, with occasional free ship.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Default cuddlebug and edgelits

I hope someone will pick up on this question. I can't see a better place to ask.

I have a Cuddlebug. I love it and am not going to buy a Big Shot until my Cuddlebug breaks.

But my SU little leaves sizzlits does not cut much at all in my Cuddlebug. I tried to use a shim, but it was too tight to crank through. I can live without those leaves, BUT

This leads to my real question. I love the Adorning Accents edgelits. I know you have to put them through sideways, but do they cut right in a Cuddlebug or is it not worth buying the edgelits?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Hi Eyestitch,
The Sizzix sizzlits do not cut well once your B plate becomes marred from lots of die cutting. You can try turning the plate over and cutting on the opposite side (the smooth side) or use a piece of card stock or 2 for a shim. Or buy some new B plates. Joann's online has them on sale quite often, or you can find them @ Michaels or Hobby Lobby and use your online coupons 40% off ;))). I end up using both sides of my cutting mats to get as much use out of them as possible.

The SU Adorning edgelits dies will be the same sandwich you use for other wafer thin metal dies, like Quickutz or Spellbinders, using your C plate for the cutting mat.
B plate on bottom, A platform, die face up, card stock, C plate as the cutting mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have both.

First I bought a second hand CB, and used it well, to the point that it no longer cuts reliably.

But it wore out before I was ready to upgrade to a BS, so I bought the old faithfull CB to fill in til I got my BS.

Eventually I got my BS, which I wanted primarily so I could use the Bigz XL dies.

So that leaves me with three machines. I use the BS the most since it is out on the table all the time. But when it comes to mass producing, I'll have the old CB for embossing, the new CB for wafer thin dies and the BS for the sizzix dies. If I was going to a crop I'd take the CB with. If I could only keep one I'd have to keep the BS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Default Thanks Paulette

Quote:

Originally Posted by PauletteStillView Post
Hi Eyestitch,
The SU Adorning edgelits dies will be the same sandwich you use for other wafer thin metal dies, like Quickutz or Spellbinders, using your C plate for the cutting mat.
B plate on bottom, A platform, die face up, card stock, C plate as the cutting mat.
Paulette, I have lots of spellbinders and they work beautifully. It is good to know that the edgelits will work just as well.

I will try a new B plate. Thanks for that tip with the sizzlit.

I love finding answers as Splitcoast!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes