Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CS Storage for 12X12 Hanging Files (Storage Solutions Paper Organizer?)

Does anyone have the "Storage Solutions 1555B6 Desktop 12x12 Paper Organizer". Here it is on Amazon. I have looked and looked for something to hold 12X12 hanging files (which I find to be the best way to store CS). I think this device is expensive for what it is and I really want my CS totally enclosed but I thought maybe I could find some kind of box to put this in. I am concerned about the size of files that it takes. I have learned that there is no standard 12X12 hanging file size and I want something I can use with the hanging files I already have. I noticed that the Amazon reviewer commented on the size issue and said that it would accomodate Crop in Style's Store in Style folders but none of mine have a name on them. I looked online and could not figure out the exact demensions of the Crop in Style folders. I already have two black 12X12 hanging file boxes with handles that I think are by Crop in Style but I can't find a name on them either and I believe they are no longer made. DH had to rig up something so I could use them with the hanging files I already had b/c the boxes were designed for larger files. My folders (I got some at Archivers and some at Joann.com and probably other places!) are 13" deep and the folder itself is 12.5" wide. From edge to edge along the metal hanger at the top they are 14". Any info about the Storage Solutions organizer would be appreciated plus any other info about a way to do 12X12 hanging storage.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by KateFergView Post
Does anyone have the "Storage Solutions 1555B6 Desktop 12x12 Paper Organizer". Here it is on Amazon. I have looked and looked for something to hold 12X12 hanging files (which I find to be the best way to store CS). I think this device is expensive for what it is and I really want my CS totally enclosed but I thought maybe I could find some kind of box to put this in. I am concerned about the size of files that it takes. I have learned that there is no standard 12X12 hanging file size and I want something I can use with the hanging files I already have. I noticed that the Amazon reviewer commented on the size issue and said that it would accomodate Crop in Style's Store in Style folders but none of mine have a name on them. I looked online and could not figure out the exact demensions of the Crop in Style folders. I already have two black 12X12 hanging file boxes with handles that I think are by Crop in Style but I can't find a name on them either and I believe they are no longer made. DH had to rig up something so I could use them with the hanging files I already had b/c the boxes were designed for larger files. My folders (I got some at Archivers and some at Joann.com and probably other places!) are 13" deep and the folder itself is 12.5" wide. From edge to edge along the metal hanger at the top they are 14". Any info about the Storage Solutions organizer would be appreciated plus any other info about a way to do 12X12 hanging storage.
I use an old office file cart made to hold legal and letter hanging files. The Cropper Hopper hanging folders are the SAME width as legal hanging file folders. The problem is the bottom, as 12x12 is hang much lower. Any file cart with an open bottom will work. Like I said, I use an old file cart I bought from Office Depot about 15 or so years ago. I was very happy when I pulled that down from the attic to find I can use for my 12x12 paper with the right files folders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

This week I've also been looking at covered storage. I have some 8.5x11 and 12x12 accordion file holders which were okay but they don't expand at the bottom, only the top, so they don't hold as much paper as I'd like them too. I also want to keep my scraps in with the whole sheets, but can't see the scraps at the bottom of the accordion slot. I found these at Michaels:

Scrapbook File Box with Hanging File Folders SBC-FB - IRIS USA Inc - storage and organization products home

They are a bit pricey (in Canada) at $27 each and come with only 3 hanging file folders. And Michaels doesn't sell the extra hanging folders. The clerk sent me next door to Staples where it was suggested I go to Michaels. Ok no, not gonna work. When I got home, I searched a few websites to find that Amazon.com has the hanging folders at $8.99 for 3 folders and deliver to Canada. Joanns and Hobby Lobby had them on their websites, but it's not financially practical for me for shipping like it was with Amazon. Do a search on Amazon with "Iris USA 12x12 Hanging File Folders." They use the same picture as the Iris website so it's a pretty sure bet they are the right folders.

I think the depth of these containers is pretty substantial... about 8". I think that would hold quite a lot of paper. I just eyeballed it though. I'd like to have a folder for each of my colours but if I have double up a bit, that's ok too.

Lately I've become very visual...have to see it or I don't use it. With the container and the hanging folders being clear, I'll see the paper at a glance and can also store/see the scraps in there. I've also been storing some of my papers on the floor in my basement craft area which I know is a big no-no, but I have limited space and it has to go somewhere.

Hope this helps.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we�ll change the world" --
Jack Layton (1950-2011)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for all this info. I would prefer something enclosed. It looks like the box Arleen mentioned requires larger files than the ones I use. I purchased one of these Iris boxes in the past and had to return it because my files were too small to fit it. That is when I discovered that all 12X12 hanging files are not created the same! It appears Arleen's box uses the larger size files. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I looked at that file container too. Thought it would be handy to have that little storage tray on the top. Then decided that while a good idea, just another place to stash and forget. lol.

I also sorta wondered if the measurements of the hanging folders were exactly 12"x12" on the Iris product, which would mean that it wouldn't hold a lot of paper (say a 40 sheet package) without raising up slightly and then the lid would squish it a bit. I didn't think to check that when I was at Michaels.

I read one review (I think on a Walmart product) that the file folders were actually 13x14and were too big for the storage device. The advertising on the website was corrected eventually. I wouldn't even mind 13x13... just something visible, standardized and easy to replace/replenish.
Jack Layton (1950-2011)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I have had the most frustrating day over these Iris USA storage units. I found the units on sale 1/2 price at Michaels..unheard of...so I bought the last 3. Michaels, however, doesn't sell the additional file folders. I'd searched on Amazon.com and found the file folders were sold there. The hitch...3rd party supplier DOESN'T deliver to Canada. ARGH. I've emailed the manufacturer and Michaels to find out where I can get the file folders in Canada. If they can't come thru, I'm back to square one unless I have them delivered to my friend's place in Idaho and she ships them to me. AARGH!!!
Jack Layton (1950-2011)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Default Iris hanging folders

Hi, I realize this is from a long time ago but did you ever find a place to buy these folders in Alberta? Thx
Reply With Quote Likes