Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cricut vs. Slice

I have seen the ginormous thread that the cricut has and definitely want to buy one. But it is a little pricey for me right now. I was considering getting a slice to hold me over until I can get a cricut I want the one that cuts 12X12 paper not the one that only cuts 8.5 x 11 so there is quite the price jump between the slice and the 12 x 12 cricut.

I don't have a lot of space either, so the slice seems to be more portable/storable than the cricut. I wanted to know for those of you who have used the circut and the slice if you could tell me the pros and cons of each. I know the many pros to the cricut and would love to have the space and 300$ to get it and the software.

Can you "hack" the slice to cut images you want? I know it uses the SD cards and was wondering if there was a software or something that I can use. Thanks for all the help and advice. :cool:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am not sure if my response will help you much but I will say it anyway!

I have the Cricut (baby one) and would like to get the Slice too. I am waiting it out to see if they improve the slice because I am kinda gutted that I got the baby Cricut when they first came out and then they came out with an even better one lol!

From what I have heard from a couple people is that the Slice has problems cutting things smaller than 2 inches, and that the glue is annoying that you have to apply, its either too sticky and rips the paper or not sticky enough. This is what I have heard so don't take my word on it, but these kind of things have kind of put me off. I also don't like the idea of holding it still!

What I do love about Making Memories is their customer service and their angel policy. Their angel policy is much better than provo craft so if you wish to sell your cards, the Slice would be a good one!

Thats all I know right now, if I had to pick between the 2 as in your case, I would probably hold out for the Cricut, they have some great deals at Michaels and Joanns every now and then and also Wal Mart has it but I am not sure of price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I got my cricut expression for 341 at Walmart. I also got a slice, this from craftsetc.com and let me tell you I have had so many problems with it! I have it ready to send back as soon as I receive the label, and they sent me a new one and it does the SAME thing! It doesn't cut right the detailed shapes, and in some images it won't cut them completely, etc. I am so furious with it, because the things I bought it for it won't cut them right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2009, 05:44 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOVE my Cricut Expression! I returned the Slice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I only have the original Cricut , no Slice, but I'll jump in here with my .02 anyway. My advice is to just save up and wait to get what you really want. If you really want the E, don't buy something just to get by for now. It will only end up being a waste of money because eventually you'll buy the E.

Just some extra thoughts--I bought the baby bug when they first came out and really never used it that much until SCAL was available. Now, I use it all the time and love all the options. I've never been swayed by the E. I can cut letters 1/4" with SCAL if I want so the only real benefit I see with the E is being able to cut really large letters/shapes(which I don't use) a 12" die-cut page or borders along a 12" page and I have a ton of border punches for that.

I guess what I'm saying is you could have your cake and eat it too if you take a harder look at the original Cricut that you can catch on sale sometimes for $99. You just have to really consider what the most important features are to you on these machines.

I wouldn't buy the Slice right now based on all the negative feedback I've seen so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I have had the Slice since Christmas and, while I love it, it does have some down sides. It doesn't cut some of the smaller shapes as well as I would like it to and it doesn't handle thicker paper very well. Having said that, it does cut most images over 2" very nicely. The SD cards have TONS of images on them and you can get the cartridges fairly reasonably on Ebay or Hobby Lobby with a sale (they're 30% off this week, including the machine). I have had no problem with the glue as long as you let it dry for a few minutes after you apply it and when it does lose it stickiness, just wash it off and start over. I've heard that if you put plastic wrap over it after you use the mat, the stickiness with last longer but haven't gotten around to trying it. A big plus for me with the Slice is it is so small and compact.

All in all, I'm glad I bought it as I never had a diecut machine and have had a LOT of fun playing with it and know I could NEVER afford punches in all the shapes that it provides so definitely glad I have one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow! Thank you for all of your responses! I really wanted the one for the 12X12 because I thought it would save paper. But I guess the smaller one will do the same thing. Once I read about the designing program I was all over it. At first I didn't like the prices of the cartridges but the software pretty much eliminated that. I will have to hunt around for the smaller cricut. I suppose if I can get it as cheap as a slice, then hold out a little longer for the program (sure cuts a lot I think is the one, I don't like the one where you have to have bought the cartridges anyway) then it would be better for my money. I didn't know that the slice was having so many issues. If I am going to spend 100$ I want it to be on a product that I can really use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up Thank you...

I have been wondering this same thing. I am earning Amazon gift cards, slowly, but already have $60. Wasn't sure if I wanted to get the Slice or the baby Cricut. This just made up my mind. I would love the Expression, but way out of my price range, and I don't know that I really need it. I am sure if I could afford it, I would get it, but not in the budget!

Anyway, thank you for all of the info!! If you want to know how I am earning Amazon gift cards, PM me and I will share.

Thanks again.

Chris

http://cropmomscraftycards.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I have the original Cricut, and I love it! I would someday like to upgrade to the Expression, but the little one does just fine for me right now. I definitely would not buy the Slice based on all the negative reviews it's received. Why would I waste $150 on a machine that doesn't do what it's supposed to do? For another $30 (maybe less if you catch a good sale), you can get the original Cricut. BTW, the original machine cuts 6 x 12, not 8 1/2 x 11. Large enough for almost everything I need it to do right now. Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Comparing the Cricut with the Slice is comparing apples and oranges, really. If you really want the Cricut, save your $$ for the Cricut. I have the Slice and love mine, but it won't do what the Cricut does and you'll end up disappointed.

BTW, no, you cannot "hack" into the Slice design cards.
Reply With Quote Likes