Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cricut explore and cricut design space

Ok so while rummaging through the craft items at tuesday morning I met another stamper and we chatted and the subject of the cricut came up. I have the 1st gen of Cricut Explore and I had put all my cartridges online and was using the Cricut Design Space. Granted I have not used my Cricut in Months, ok maybe years. LOL I was just thinking I need to use it and get the most out of my investment. This woman said that Cricut Design Space online was discontinued?!!!!!!!:confused:

I am a bit miffed if this is true, as I had a Cricut Expressions machine but the dial broke and Provocraft did not support it at the time and I got rid of it. My hubby convinced me that I should get the new cricut explore at the time.

So I am coming to you all, the experts. Give me the scoop. Can I still use my machine?? and how? I still have the cartridges and keyboard overlays, which the explore does not have a keyboard like the expressions did.

Help! and if this is true, I probably will not buy another Cricut product as this is an obvious pattern as with my Cuttlebug. growllllll

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2019, 03:23 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi SueEllen, have you put this in the Cricut Sticky Thread? You may get more answers in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2019, 05:50 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Sure. You can still use Design Space. It hasn't been discontinued. You might have to update your firmware and/or software, but that should be detected and updated as soon as you open Design Space. Maybe the woman was referring to Design Studio.

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 09-21-2019 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oohhh I don't think I did. Tu

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgpunkyView Post
oohhh I don't think I did. Tu
No problem. Let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2019, 05:27 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cricut Design Space isn’t going anywhere! You’re fine - just update your firmware. The person you were talking to might have gotten it mistaken with OFFLINE being available soon. This is where you can use DS without an Internet connection. I have the Maker but I still have & use my 1st gen Explore & it works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Design Space has NOT been discontinued. The online workspace "Cricut Craft Room" that supported the Expression has been discontinued. Your cartridges that were online for the Cricut Craft Room should have transferred over to the New Design Space if that is what you had before. Design Space and Cricut Explore are still working!
Hope that didn't confuse you more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Haloheidi is correct. It is the Cricut Craft Room which was discontinued for the Expression and Expression 2. The Design space is for use with the Explore and up classes up machine. They are in the process of rolling out an offline version as well, which will allow you to create and design even if you don't have an internet connection. So far it is working great! All of the cartridges that you had linked in Craft Room would have moved over to Design Space. Most physical cartridges have been discontinued, but there are hundreds of digital cartridges or you can buy individual files to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2019, 09:21 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Yep, I am using my first generation Explore with Design Space weekly. I use it mostly with my Ipad (I purchased a bluetooth adapter) but it also works with my computer. I am looking forward to using offline when they get that finished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Anyone know if they ahave come up with a way to use your Cricut mini that used to connect to the craft room. Have the big machines, but love the small size for my very small craft room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2019, 11:56 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

That lady was mistaken. Cricut Craft Room was discontinued last year. Cricut Design Space is just fine. They just released the beta of the offline software. It is exactly the same as our online software but it's offline.

No worries about Design Space. You are in the clear. All your cartridges are in your account. All our cartridges are linked to server.

rholzman I am sorry there is no way to use the Mini with Cricut Design Space. I am sorry. You can still use it with a Gypsy but that is really the only option.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 03:33 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by rholzmanView Post
Anyone know if they ahave come up with a way to use your Cricut mini that used to connect to the craft room. Have the big machines, but love the small size for my very small craft room
If you can get your hands on the original Design Studio or SCAL 2, it should work with those. Fortunately, I have both, so my original Cake Mini and Cricut Mini still work. It's good to have back-ups, and I use my Cake machine to decorate cakes and cupcakes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

I have the Design STUDIO which I have not used in years... does it still work? I have the baby bug, an expression and the expression 2 with the 4 built in carts. thanks
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2019, 03:07 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I forgot all about Design Studio & the Mini. ScrapJanny thanks for posting. I had a Mini question recently on another forum. I didn't even think about Design Studio.

mac4551 I think it should work. Windows 10 can be grumpy with some older software. If you need to reinstall you might not be able to activate. You can contact ProvoCraft and they might be able to help.

Ladies does Design Space still need to be activated or did ProvoCraft change that to all free software? I can't remember. It's been so long. I am sorry.

Cricut Design Space was made for 32Bit computers that ran XP & Vista. You can still run these kind of software packages on a Win10 System. Win 10 now runs on a Linux/Win hybrid code. Older software programs that were coded in Windows languages of yore can be a bit tempermental on Win10 systems. I do know a few ladies that are using CDS on Win10 systems. Remember each Windows systems is unique. If your friend runs the same software program you have both of you will have different results and bugs that are unique to each system. If that makes any sense.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by lylacfey; 09-28-2019 at 03:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2019, 05:20 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Happy to help! Design Studio still works on my Windows 10 laptop, and Design Space (I believe) still requires you to have an account to look at it. The account is free. Remember that if you're using Design Studio, you will only be able to use the cartridges that were released before they stopped updating it (i.e. the older cartridges). @Lylacfey, I think we're on the same other forum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2019, 02:40 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

ScrapJanny- We are on the same board. We have been getting a lot of older Cricut questions lately. I can't remember anything about the older Cricut's. It has been so long. You know one of our sweet members is always pointing everyone to me to ask about cutter questions. I am just waiting for the old Cricut ones. I don't know how to answer them, lol.

mac4551 I did install CricutDesignStudio on my Win10 computer. It is working fine. It is very stable. I could not activate it because I don't have my serial number any more. If you do not have a serial number I am not sure if you can use your cartridges to cut. I don't know what Cricut decided to do after ceasing development on CDS. Sometimes the company will make older versions of software free after they stop development. That's why you see older copies of Photoshop on the web that are legally free. I hope that helps.

Last edited by lylacfey; 09-29-2019 at 02:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by rholzmanView Post

Unless you have an old discontinued Cricut Gypsy the only use for your mini now is a door stop. I still use my mini occasionally with my Gypsy, but I think both machines are nearing their end of life stage. It's a shame too, the mini was a nice little travel machine. OTOH, my cricut Expressions are still working great with my cartridges.
oh, I forgot about Design studio, but that sounds like too much hassle.

Last edited by sewnmachine; 10-04-2019 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes