Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cricut Cartridge That Cuts Scalloped Shapes

I know I just read this on the forum recently but I can't for the life of me find the thread now.

I am planning on purchasing a Cricut soon and one of the things I would like to do is be able to cut plain squares, circles, ovals, etc with matching scalloped shapes - like the Nestabilites. But since I am spending all the money on the Cricut, I can't also get the nesties, so I was hoping that one of the Cricut cartridges did these shapes.

On the thread I read, someone mentioned which cartridges cut which shapes and mentioned something about "squishing" a circle to make an oval.

Please let me know which is the best cartridge for plain and scalloped shapes and what steps need to be done to make a circle an oval.

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Mini Monograms has circles/scallop circles and squares/square scallops. You can also use the "shadow" option when cutting the scallops, and that will make larger, less pronounced scallops. Hope that makes sense!

Alphalicious is the one you were mentioning about "squishing" it. There is an oval tag/ oval scallop tag on that cartridge. It is an oval with a hole on the end. It cuts a longer narrow style oval. I put a hole on the other side, and slipped the whole thing on a ribbon, so I looked like I meant to have the hole there. It looks cute! If you use the "short stack" feature, you will get a circle instead of an oval. (It will still have the hole in it for the tag)

Hope that make sense!! There may be other cartridges that do them also, but I have these two and only can comment on them!

Good luck deciding!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
I know I just read this on the forum recently but I can't for the life of me find the thread now.

I am planning on purchasing a Cricut soon and one of the things I would like to do is be able to cut plain squares, circles, ovals, etc with matching scalloped shapes - like the Nestabilites. But since I am spending all the money on the Cricut, I can't also get the nesties, so I was hoping that one of the Cricut cartridges did these shapes.

On the thread I read, someone mentioned which cartridges cut which shapes and mentioned something about "squishing" a circle to make an oval.

Please let me know which is the best cartridge for plain and scalloped shapes and what steps need to be done to make a circle an oval.

Thanks so much in advance!
I reccomend buying SCAL software then joining the Sure Cuts A lot users yahoo group because many of us in the group design stuff and share it in the group. One lady made TONS of scallop shapes and put the files up in the group to share. Then to cut the shape open it in SCAL and resize it and cut. To cut a circle (or whatever) to nest inside open the shape tool, pick a shape and size it over the scallop you made, delete the sacallop and cut. It's easier than it sounds. I have a lot of info on my blog (listed below) and you can PM me with any questions. SCAL is $70 and works with nearly every font on your computer or downloded off the internet so you will save lots of money with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Both the newest carts, Storybook and Graphically Speaking have scallop everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks all for your suggestions. I checked out the Storybook and I think this one is just what I was looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Regading the SCAL software...how does the file get from the computer to the Cricut? Is the Cricut connected to the computer by a cable?

chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi, I just bought a cricut and the storybook cartridge so I could cut scalloped circles. I can't figure out how to do it though. I've tried the accent, shadow and blackout with the letter "I" but it just cuts an "I". Does anyone know how this works?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you press the Shift key? It's located on the bottom left. Press: Shift, Shadow, I

When you look in the book for the cartridge, any image that's on the top right corner requires you to press the Shift key.

Hope that all make sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

That worked, thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

If you are thinking about getting SCAL, better get it soon, before the lawsuit with Provocraft, because then it wont work with the cricut. The ones bought AFTER the lawsuit wont work in the cricut, from what I read. The ones bought before will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyKumarView Post
Regading the SCAL software...how does the file get from the computer to the Cricut? Is the Cricut connected to the computer by a cable?

chris
It connects with a normal USB cable. My expression has a usb port in the back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Default bad cricut

Go to cricut.com and cal their support number. When I had a problem, they walked me through the fix. Now everything works great. They were really nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I had mini monograms and nothing cut right in it on my expression. Circles were oval (bonus for you if you're looking for ovals I guess) and scallops were all wonky. But it wasn't because of the cartridge. Nothing cut exactly right in my expression.
Reply With Quote Likes