Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 935 Likes on 856 Posts

Got my Gemini today and realized the box said it was the diecutting machine for fabric. It looks just like the paper crafting one except it only came with a metal plate, a plastic shim and 2 clear cutting plates pluse some frame type dies. My question if I purchase the rubber mat and magnetic mat this will still work right? Consumer crafts where I got it will do refund but will not pay for shipping back. I really really want this to work for me and need your help. Its the same machine right? Ugg...never fails I try to find the best prices and screw it all up. Amazon has both extra plates at a reasonable cost so I'm ok with buying those. Hope someone can help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
Got my Gemini today and realized the box said it was the diecutting machine for fabric. It looks just like the paper crafting one except it only came with a metal plate, a plastic shim and 2 clear cutting plates pluse some frame type dies. My question if I purchase the rubber mat and magnetic mat this will still work right? Consumer crafts where I got it will do refund but will not pay for shipping back. I really really want this to work for me and need your help. Its the same machine right? Ugg...never fails I try to find the best prices and screw it all up. Amazon has both extra plates at a reasonable cost so I'm ok with buying those. Hope someone can help.
The machines are exactly the same. Here is a quote from the Consumer Crafts site: Please note: This bundle contains the same Gemini� machine you know and love with specialty dies tailored for fabric crafting projects.
Also, the embossing mat is $5 cheaper at Consumer Crafts than Amazon, and the magnetic shims are $3 cheaper. Plus, I really like the dies that came with yours better than the ones that came with mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #43  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I really liked the idea of the Gemini, I wanted to option of using my Bigz dies as well, and so I went with the Sizzix Big Shot Express. (Although afterwards I read that the motor in the Vagabond was much stronger than the Express, however so far I haven't had any issues). I use both the manual Big Shot and the motorized Express, and yes I STILL use the steel ruled dies for a ton of items, so being limited to the thin dies only & embossing folders just wasn't an option for me, however it's a personal thing. It really depends on what space you have, and what you use most I would imagine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

Ok crafters,I need some encouragement or something! I finally took my Gemini out of the box to cut a thin die, (an Easter basket) using SU card stock. I followed the instructions to a tee! Sometimes when I would feed it through it would grab it and go other times I had to keep fiddling with. I cut about 12 Easter basket and while I know warping is normal I was surprised it warped as much as it did, and I also flipped the cutting plate over, etc. I got so fed up and said the heck with and used my Big Shot! Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank-you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Connie, can you explain what you had to keep fiddling with?

When you flip the cutting plates for each pass, you also turn them so the edge facing the machine one time is at the back the next, if that makes sense. You're swiveling them. If you'd like the see the video, just yell.

But I have the Gemini Junior, not the large Germini, so maybe others with the large one can be more helpful. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #46  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Connie, can you explain what you had to keep fiddling with?

When you flip the cutting plates for each pass, you also turn them so the edge facing the machine one time is at the back the next, if that makes sense. You're swiveling them. If you'd like the see the video, just yell.

But I have the Gemini Junior, not the large Germini, so maybe others with the large one can be more helpful. Good luck!
Hey BJ, you are making perfect sense! When I try to insert the the sandwich I have to keep moving it around because it will not catch, I did not want to force it!

I guess the video would be a good thing, thank-you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

Here you go, though maybe there's nothing new. And if you go to youtube.com and type "crafters companion gemini" you'll see videos for their tutorials.

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #48  
Gallery Gazer

Oops, I meant to include the two movies that explain 1) pressure and 2) warping/turning your plates. Hope your popcorn isn't all gone. (For some reason one video shows as a link and the other shows the actual video.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=17s&v=m1exEbKyFCA

https://m.

Last edited by bjeans; 03-13-2018 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #49  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

To make the machine grab the plates more easily, off-set them slightly so that they aren't lined up evenly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
To make the machine grab the plates more easily, off-set them slightly so that they aren't lined up evenly.
I will try this, I was doing the complete opposite!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #51  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
I will try this, I was doing the complete opposite!

Thank you!
Connie, It sounds like your machine is warping the plates because you might have too many layers in your sandwich. While the stack for the sandwich in the Gemini is:

base plate
plastic shim
magnetic shim
die with cardstock
cut plate

Sometimes that can be just a little too thick for the machine. Try removing the plastic shim or the magnetic shim and see if the die will still cut.

The plates do warp and the Gemini has alot of pressure but sometimes experimentation is required.

Are you using the metal shim?? If so, you probably don't need it. I have had the Gemini since it originally came out and have only used that shim once or twice!

Just PM me if you have any questions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #52  
Mad Swapper

Thank so much Debbie! I will definitely try your suggestion and leave out the magnetic shim! I followed the instructions in the manual though! I want to love this machine as much as everyone else does! Hopefully this will do the truck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
Connie, It sounds like your machine is warping the plates because you might have too many layers in your sandwich. While the stack for the sandwich in the Gemini is:

base plate
plastic shim
magnetic shim
die with cardstock
cut plate

Sometimes that can be just a little too thick for the machine. Try removing the plastic shim or the magnetic shim and see if the die will still cut.

The plates do warp and the Gemini has alot of pressure but sometimes experimentation is required.

Are you using the metal shim?? If so, you probably don't need it. I have had the Gemini since it originally came out and have only used that shim once or twice!

Just PM me if you have any questions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #53  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm going to try this. I watched all the videos and have rotated my plates with every cut since my first pass through my Gemini. My top plate resembles a very flat S and my paper is wavy when it comes out sometimes. I didn't know what to do because according to the book the "sandwich" is correct but I'm going to try taking out the plastic or magnetic shim and see if that help. I LOVE my machine otherwise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #54  
Cardstock Collector

I have the gemini well worth the money I got it slightly cheaper from The Range...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 05:27 AM   #55  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I think the Gemini will be on HSN May 2, when it will be an all crafts day. That's where I bought the bundle for $179.99.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 05:36 AM   #56  
Gallery Gazer

That's where I got my Gemini Junior - maybe just $10 less at the time? Thanks for mentioning the all day crafts day - fun to watch though there hasn't been anything that forced me to buy it the last few times.

For anyone wanting that deal, if it's the same as before, you get a whole lot of extra stuff - dies, stamps, two 3D embossing folders, heavy on butterflies and swirls. You might want to check that those items fit your style. If not, you may be able to find the Gemini Junior for about $159 with all the plates but only a couple extras. I gave most of my extras away but it was still a good deal, and still loving Gem Junior.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

on HSN, Sara Davies puts the cutting plate on the BOTTOM, then goes backwards from what the book has on the Gemini Jr. I imagine it's the same for the regular Gemini. I toss and turn the plates with every cut, but my plastic plate and cut plate still seem to warp a little. I still absolutely LOVE this machine... I do have to tape the die to the paper to flip if over when using their sandwich of the clear plate, the plastic plate, magnetic shim and then die and paper, and top cut plate.. it'd be so much easier to have the paper down first, then add the die to it so you can see exactly where it'll cut without having to use tape. I have cut into my magnetic shim a few times because I had the die and paper facing in the wrong, but I bought the magnetic vent covers at Busy Beaver and cut them into threes - wella, new magnetic cheaper shims. And, the come 3 to a pack for around $6. so that can give me 6 shims plus left over on each sheet. I also noticed Sara does not flip and turn the plates when she is cutting on HSN as well as several you tube videos...
Reply With Quote Likes