Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copics and Blends

Are the new stampin up blends truly alcohol markers? I was casing a card from the salebration flyer that showed the amazing you flowers stamped first in lemon lime twist and then colored in with blends. I dont have blends but I have a slew of copics and was about to use them but stopped becuase I have use this thought "only memento ink" in my head. Anyone have info on this
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Copics work best on Neenah card stock with Memento Ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I use my copics with neenah paper. It is my favorite and i have tried at least 5 of the popular copic brands. I also use digis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason it's "only memento ink" with copics is because copics (alcohol markers) play better with dye (water based) inks than with alcohol based inks (stazon) or other kinds of ink. Just like watercolor markers (water markers) do better with stazon than with dye inks. Remember: like dissolves like, so water markers dissolve water inks, and alcohol markers will dissolve alcohol inks. (It's not a foolproof rule, because paper also plays a role, and some dye inks work better for copics than others, even within the memento line itself, but I'm trying to avoid writing a whole dissertation on all the copic discussion over the years. ;) )

I think the reason you'll see memento specifically mentioned most often is because memento black has been pretty easy for most people to get, even at their local brick and mortar store. Some of the other inks that copics play well with are less common in stores (like Archival ink, I think) or they are ones from a certain online store (like I think MFT just launched one), and so may be "harder" to get.

But I don't see a reason why you couldn't use copics OR blends with SU's dye inks, although I haven't tried it. They're of opposite composition (alcohol markers, water inks) so in theory, it would work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2018, 02:36 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

If you have them, give 'em a try. There's nothing to lose beyond a piece of cardstock.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2018, 06:07 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

BTW, re cardstock, in case anyone wants to try different options, while I love Neenah Classic Crest (not Exact Index, their lower quality) for so much, for Copics my fave is X-Press It Blending Card, made by the folks who make Copics. Learned on it, a little smoother `than Neenah, just what you get used to, not right or wrong. Enjoy!Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 02-24-2018 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2018, 06:37 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Thank you Emily . I cant see getting the blends yet, if I have many of the copics.I loved the look of the flower stamped in lemon lime twist and colored in with the coral blends. I approximated the colors using my copic color chart and it looks ok. I was afraid of destroying my copics. Thanks again for the explanation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppofctView Post
Thank you Emily . I cant see getting the blends yet, if I have many of the copics.I loved the look of the flower stamped in lemon lime twist and colored in with the coral blends. I approximated the colors using my copic color chart and it looks ok. I was afraid of destroying my copics. Thanks again for the explanation.
Im not sure if you know, but you can change out the tips on copics. I like the copic blend carstock, but there is a definite difference for me when I color on neenah. The neenah cardstock my copics appear darker and on my copic cardstock I often have to let my coloring sit and come back to it and look at for the color to look right to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #9  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Yes, they are alcohol markers - all the same rules apply You can color on anything with alcohol markers. I blend pencils with them, color on top of ink, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes