Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cheap printer for card stock?

It irks me no end to have to post this, but when my HP 8500 finally broke down after years of stellar service and HP sold me the 8600 to replace it, they neglected to say anything about the fact that it either doesn't or doesn't consistently print on card stock. I can sometimes get it to work, but I just spent an hour trying every trick listed on the internet on the many sites where people bemoan this idiotic issue to get it to print an Illustrator file, with no luck.

It has become too irritating too often. So I am considering buying an inexpensive printer that I can use just to print on card stock. I do enough of that so it would be worth it. Any suggestions? Wireless option preferred, but not absolutely necessary.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have that problem with one of my Epsons and also an HP. For regular paper they are both great but cs is another story, sometimes! Don't understand why it will, then it won't, then it will....... I have this problem with Photo paper also. What I do now, though it shouldn't be this way, is to put my fingers on the paper edge that is going to go into the printer and when it starts to make the sounds like it's ready to take the paper I put just a bit of pressure on it to encourage it to go through. It always works for me that way. I did discover that one of my printers has a setting for heavy weight paper but I don't think I tried that yet. If you come up with a 'cure' please let us know. Jill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had good luck with Canon printers. I had two MP520's and now my MP560 for about 3 years with no problems - not a single jam with cardstock since I've had it. I think I only paid about $60 for the MP560, but I think they're discontinued now. I'm sure one of the newer Pixima models would works just as well. I run a CISS in mine and it is really inexpensive to print all my digi papers with it. Even the Epson Artisan 1430 (wide format) I just bought a couple months ago isn't really all that expensive (I got it for about $275) that prints flawlessly on cardstock. And once the ink tanks that came with it are empty, I have a CISS waiting to install on that one too.

ETA: Both printers are wireless...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for these suggestions. I will look into them.

I finally got the project I wanted printed this afternoon by putting only a few sheets of CS in the tray instead of loading one sheet on top of a full tray of plain paper (which was what worked best before). Maybe a fluke. Maybe the printer was more in the mood for printing on card stock.

I really wish I didn't have to buy another printer. SO annoying.

But all suggestions very welcome. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an hp and it always prints card stock easily, but I do take all paper out of tray and print one sheet at a time. I also use a very inexpensive hp photo printer to print on card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I have always had HP printers, and they have always reliably printed on card stock. The 8500 I had was fabulous, but when it finally gave up the ghost, I replaced it with the 8600 and everyone has had problems printing card stock with that model. There are threads all over the internet about it. Of course I didn't research this until I already owned the machine, but I had no reason to think to, since all my HP printers had been such champions at this.

I was using the tip of completely filling the tray with plain paper and then putting one sheet of CS on top, so the rollers would really be able to grab it, but today this did not work. So I tried several other tricks I read about on various forums, including rolling the end of the CS over a pencil to curl it a bit (failure). At last I tried removing all the plain paper, putting in just two sheets of CS and that worked. Will it work tomorrow? I don't know. I don't know how to do a manual feed on this printer, but that is what I will research next.

I have not yet cleaned the rollers. I don't feel like turning this big honking all-in-one over on its side and messing with them. But I may have to. Or, I may just buy a cheap photo printer. I would rather not. I'm running out of space for electronics, frankly. But I may have to do it. I use my computer constantly in my card-making. Printing on cardstock is a must. So all the suggestions people made are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I have the hp all in one also but since my DH put his little photo printer on my desk and suggested I use for economic printing...it does a good job and is okay for most of my printing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you mean that your newer HP will not put ink on your cardstock, or that it won't pull the paper through to be printed on?
My good old HP all-in-one prints fine on thinner cardstock, but because you insert paper in the front then it has to bend it to print on it, it won't pull SU weight of paper through, and of course, anything heavier, too.
My Canon Pixma at work receives hand-fed paper in the back, so it goes straight through. I have not tried printing on 80 lb cardstock on that one. BAD thing about CANON...they DEMAND that you keep all the color cartridges in place to print even in Black only. It refuses to print if all are not in place WITH ink. AND the ink is very expensive. I would not buy one for home use, partly because you have to stand up every time you insert hand-fed paper (copy paper goes in a tray accessed in the front), partly because it goes through time-wasting gyrations deciding when it will print!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Printing

I do what PJill does, even sometimes with plain old paper on my cheap Epsom.

However, my question is, what kind of paper do you use to print downloadable printed paper?

Thanks,
Pam :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I highly recommend a Canon Pixma. They carry them at Walmart and they're very inexpensive and work very well.

Mine will copy, scan and print and only cost about $60 - $70.

It has a rear load paper feeder and handles card stock easily because it just slides through and doesn't have to wrap around inside the machine.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

My only tip is that I just put one sheet of cardstock at a time into the paper tray and then actually push the leading edge snugly into the paper rollers until the cardstock is picked up by them. I also have an HP printer, if that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes