Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Can't decide!

I have some christmas money and can't decide what I should buy next! I could get a big shot, but then would need (or be verrrryyy tempted) to keep buying dies and embossing folders, and probably nesties or just get a scor-pal. What do you think?

I've been stamping for a little over a year, and I can't believe how much stuff I've accumulated already! I think I spend more time searching for new things to buy than I do actually stamping! (Anyone else feel that way?)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I see where you are coming from, I'm also a year or so old in this craft and I started with just a shelf of things, then I moved to a bookcase and now I've a table brimming with stuff .
Back to your question - IMO Big Shot is worth an investment. You can go slow on the dies , it's hard but you can try! Get a set of dies that would be more universal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Go for the Scor-pal

I own a scor-pal. I love it. I don't know why I waited so long to buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 208 Likes on 173 Posts

Get a Scor-Pal. With all of the stuff I have accumalated... I use my Scor-pal with every card I make.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 516 Likes on 286 Posts

Yes, I call it obsession! LOL! I buy more and more stuff, can't properly store it, so that it's accessible, and end up with piles of everything in my way, so I CAN'T craft! (Glad to see others have the shopping bug, too)
I have finally gotten through to my DH, who after 4 years, bought and installed shelving in my craft room closet, and is now framing out my big cheap plastic drawer units, so you can open the bottom ones, when they're stacked 4 high. As soon as he finishes, I've promised to move the crafting supplies OUT of the living room.
Part of my problem is reading here on SCS about all the new, hot, desirable things everyone is buying. It makes me drool, then I spend too much money buying stuff I don't much use. I'm an awful packrat anyway. I love stuff. LOTS of stuff. And I love using those 40% coupons at Hobby Lobby and Michael's, even though I don't NEED anything. Wouldn't want to waste a coupon, right???
I'd love a Big Shot or Cuttlebug, but I'm gonna pay down my credit card, and keep asking for one of those for gift occasions. And nesties someday, but I'm getting by with punches I buy cheap from everybody who bought nesties. There are some advantages to others being first to have the new toys- I buy their old toys!
And I'd also love a Scor-Pal. But, you're right, you can't afford it all, especially if you're not a demo, not getting stuff at a discount, and don't require the stuff to conduct a business.
Have fun with whatever you buy. If it gives you pleasure, that's the reward. We all need some fun stuff in our lives!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilyweersView Post
I have some christmas money and can't decide what I should buy next! I could get a big shot, but then would need (or be verrrryyy tempted) to keep buying dies and embossing folders, and probably nesties or just get a scor-pal. What do you think?

I've been stamping for a little over a year, and I can't believe how much stuff I've accumulated already! I think I spend more time searching for new things to buy than I do actually stamping! (Anyone else feel that way?)
I have only been stamping for 3 yrs and it feels like so much longer. I have accumulated so much that I could possibly fill a small store lol. But I must admit that I love paper crafting and am so thankful I found this wondeful world.

Sorry, can't give you any tips about the Big Shot. I have a Sizzix and original Cricut myself.
Happy Shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have and LOVE my cuttlebug! i have a few die cuts for it but i use it mainly for embossing. and i use it A LOT!!!

i don't really know anything about the big shot tho.

i also have and love the scor pal too. it is a great tool!

i agree that you could buy what ever machine and add accessories to go with it over time.

the scor pal is a one time purchase tho.

i can see now that i have offered NO HELP!
in the end you will NEED both! LOL
now just to decide which to get first!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I've got no advice for ya, but I feel your pain about spending more time searching than creating. But one of my New Year's Resolutions is to correct that. I HAVE restrict my time on-line stalking SCS and ordering on-line. Good luck finding what you want/need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

I feel the same way! I am leaning toward a cuttlebug....but good luck on whatever you buy, be sure to let us know:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I say go for the big shot. I just got a scor-pal and adore it! But, I find if I use the big shot much more. I use the scor-pal to score a card or make a scored patterned paper (or will use it to make boxes) but I use the big shot to emboss and cut dies much more often. But yes, then you do have the additional expense of the cost of the dies. Do you have a M's near you? if so, wait till they go on sale or use a coupon then the price isn't so painfu. Whatever you decide, enjoy! Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I'm doing the same thing...trying to decide what I want to spend my Christmas money on. They don't have many tools but A Cherry On Top is having a pretty good sale going on...

http://www.acherryontop.com/article?a=5664
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I also found the link to thier coupons for this month - some are 40% off!

http://www.acherryontop.com/article?a=1280
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm leaning towards the scor-pal at the moment...saw it at Archiver's the other day for $39.95....is it ever cheaper anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I have both and love them equally, but if I had to choose I would definitely go with the Big Shot. I use mine with practically every card I make. I've bought a lot of the Cuttlebug folders and use them to death. They are very reasonable at $5. each and I almost always buy them on sale for around $2-3.75 each. My dies have all been bought on sale also and they see frequent use. My scor-pal is great! But I can do everything that the Scor-pal does without it (with just a little more effort). Just my .02 cents. Enjoy whatever you end up getting.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the stamping/shopping addiction - I have a long wish list of items I just "need" to get!

I just got a Big Shot for Christmas, and decided to give myself a belated Christmas present of some nestabilities. Can't wait for them to arrive!

I have used my friend's Big Shot before I got mine and just love it. While I'm excited to use the nestabilities so that I can have more circle/oval shapes in my cards, the real reason I love it so much is the embossing folders. You can buy regular cardstock, emboss a pattern on it and it adds so much to the card. I even bought one embossing folder (and used it with a rolling pin) before I got the big shot.

If you are going to buy a die-cutting machine, I'd recommend searching on you tube to see the machines in action. I was debating between the cuttlebug and the big shot and seeing how each of them worked helped make my decision (the big shot costs more, but I felt it looked more robust from the videos).

Happy Shopping!

greetinks.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

We all feel your pain. Some of these tools are quite expensive. But here's my suggestion.. Buy a Scor Pal with a coupon, or when it's on sale, and buy a Cuttlebug with a coupon or on sale. Together on sale, they would cost less than a Big Shot not on sale. You can do everything the Big Shot can do with the Cuttlebug.
If your heart is truly set on a BS, then I'd say to get that first. You can use it for more things than the ScorPal, although I use my Scor Pal more. If you have an Archiver's around, you can get a BS there with your coupon, and I'm sure there are plenty of other places, as well as online. I never spend full price when I can help it.
You won't be disappointed with either-- they're both excellent tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Update...I think I'm going for the big shot...found it at ritz camera for $66, and I just opened some christmas cards with $$$ :-) I'll wait for the scor-pal when I have a coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Default undecided

i too got some christmas cash (well gift card for HL, lol)....i'm itching for a set of prisma pencils, so i may get one of that...i'll have to get the small set(primary first probably) first cause i cant get the mondo set that i'd like to get w/the markers, lol.

of course they're stamps right now in my area are half off!!!! and valentine's is coming...i'm a sucker for love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Well I had a 50% coupon for Michaels and a gift card , so I got a cuttlebug for 25 bucks!! Now I just need stuff to go with it lol
Reply With Quote Likes