Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Can we talk about black ink pads?

I'm looking for the best black inkpads - I have quite a few of them, but not nearly all that I hear people love. I ADORE SU's ink, but find the Basic Black to be not as waterproof or as BLACK as I'd like.

I don't have Copic markers, but I hear Memento Tuxedo Black is best for that. I have a small "dew drop" of this one.

I do have the Palette Noir Hybrid ink. Then I heard that Papertrey's "True Black" is *different* from the Palette Noir, so I got that one too. I looked for the full-sized Memento pad at Hobby Lobby, but they had run out of it. I did get their brown and "London Fog", though. I also have StazOn Jet Black and VersaFine's Onyx Black. Oh, and Ancient Page Coal Black (that pad has a totally different surface!).

I guess I could do a side-by-side testing, but I'm just wondering what YOU think! Which works best for Gamsol/Prismacolor Pencil coloring, which is best for watercoloring, which for just plain old pure black ink stamping, etc. If you have preferred cardstock for these inks, you can tell me that too, but I'm working mostly with SU's Whisper White, and SU's Watercolor Paper. Though I do have some Gina K and Papertrey's white.

Thanks in advance for any help!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*sigh* I'm still searching for the one.
I find Rangers Archival Jet black works best for watercolor, colored pencils/oms. No bleeding. I prefer using it over Palette Noir Hybrid as it didn't impress me.
Staz On, of course for the glossy stuff. It doesn't give you the fine detail of the image, but it works for the non-porous surface.
Memento with my Prisma markers still bled a bit, but it's okay.
Versafine was no-no. Brilliance didn't work for me either. I only use these for non coloring images.
I use SU Basic Black and Memories to color the cardstock edge.
Adirondack is on my list to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

VersaFine is the best black ink IMO!!! I Adore it. I use it for almost everything. With copics I just clear emboss over it. The versafine gives the crispest pure black image compared to the others. I have tried MEmento, Stampin UP, Ancient Page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I have been using staz-on for all my black ink needs. I think it has a better color and I never have to worry if I want to color or watercolor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I really don't think there is 'One' perfect black ink pad for every application. They all have different properties that make them ideal for different applications. This is just my list, I know others will come on here with others that I have never heard of, or have used that they love, but these are the ones that I use.

SU Basic Black: Too Purple. The only thing I use it for is to ink the edges of cs.

Stazon Jet Black: My standard Black ink. Great waterproof ink, good for Prismas and OMS. Also the only ink that I have found that you can use on marble tiles etc.

Memento Tuxedo Black: I use it if I am going to use my copics as it won't bleed into the ink.

I also use Versamagic with my clear stamps, it takes a little longer to dry but I love the chalk finish and haven't had a problem with my prismas if I am careful.

Those are the only ones I have right now, and they seen enough for me. HTH

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just my humble opinion but I use Memento Tuxedo Black for Everything. It's great.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I love PTI's True Black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi all,

I am new to this forum here and love to view the various discussions on the different threads.

I am not a SU user as I am not from the US and am not able to get any SU products. I have been using Making Memories black ink as well as Versafine black ink for years. I like the inks as they retain fine details of even the most intricate stamps.

Versafine is very versatile, and can be embossed if you would like to colour the image with a solvent. It is waterproof and would be ok to watercolour without first embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Hmmm.... What did I do wrong? I tested Versafine many many times on SU Whisper White CS and Georgia Pacific CS, and got smudges everywhere. I tried Prismacolored pencils and SU markers, and it was very frustrating. I even used the heat tool to dry, but still no luck. I tried with clear embossing powder, but lines looked thicker, hmmm.
I do agree that Versafine gives you the finest detail, but it just didn't work for me when I tried to use it for coloring. I will try it again...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Just my humble opinion but I use Memento Tuxedo Black for Everything. It's great.
ME, too. It's great with Copics and it's a rich black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Yep!

Except watercoloring. I use the Ranger Archival for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I've got a stack of black ink pads on the corner of my desk. IMO Adironack (spelling) is the blackest and shows every little detail on the stamp. It rarely bleeds with Copics iunless you don't give it enough drying time. Brilliance works GREAT with Copics on the following papers...PTI, SU Whisper White and GA Pacific. I seem to always reach for it to stamp because I know it doesn't bleed as much as some of the others.

I don't really compare the crispness of the image. I look for even coverage and no bleeding. I don't like to have to keep pushing the stamp into the ink. I like to ink and stamp.

There's a lot of things to think about before you decide. You have to consider what card stock you're using...how long is it going to dry...are you going to heat set it...what are you going to color with.

This is another one of those..."it all depends" questions.

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Memento Tuxedo Black for me . . . hands down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 03:40 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I personally use Memento Tuxedo Black for everything too. Rubber or Clear stamps. But just a reminder that your paper is a BIG factor in the crisp image you get. I use GK pure luxury paper, both weights are great, for Copic's, Pencils & OMS and general stamping and have not had an issue.

Good luck,

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

AMUSE black pigment ink pad is fantastico for use with copic markers. Amuse loves copic markers and as such has made an ink that does not bleed! You do not have to use special CS either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have tried LOTS of black inkpads!!! Memento Tuxedo Black if the image is going to be colored with Copics but I fine that it doesn't stamp black enough unless you use a reinker and really make the pad 'juicy' then just wait a bit to let it dry and set. Versafine Onyx Black is the BEST, IMHO, when stamping images just not ones that will be colored with Copics.

I have bought the Ranger black inkpad, Palette Noir and Brilliance Graphite Black and India Ink Black. I was not impressed with any of these.

I like Colorbox black when embossing. It really is tacky and hold the EP well.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 03-26-2009 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: add another company inkpad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 07:23 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

I use Memento Tuxedo Black for EVERYTHING now. It can be used for Copics, so I don't have to worry about people not being able to use their Copics when I send images to someone. It's waterproof, so I can use it with watercolor pencils, Gamsol with my colored pencils or waterbased markers, like SU! and Tombow or Marvy.

I have the SU! Basic Black and used it for years until I found Memento. I found that the SU! Basic Black gave some light colores, like pink and yellow, a "dirty " or smeared look sometimes, with gamsol and colored pencils. :( And YES, I even gave it a few extra mintues to dry. I also thought the SU! Basic Black started to look more purple than black.:confused:

I have Versafine Onyx Black ( and like it) for clear stamps and for embossing with detail clear ep when I use Copics

But for me, Memento is THE black ink! It's a winner for sure!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldsk34View Post
I personally use Memento Tuxedo Black for everything too. Rubber or Clear stamps. But just a reminder that your paper is a BIG factor in the crisp image you get. I use GK pure luxury paper, both weights are great, for Copic's, Pencils & OMS and general stamping and have not had an issue.
I totally agree here. I also just use Memento Tuxedo Black ink and Gina's Pure Lux. I use exclusively the base weight as I just love the "feel" of it and it embosses so beautifully with my Nestibilities. I have a stock pile of Georgia Pacific cardstock from Wal-mart, but honestly, the Primsa blending is just SO much better on Pure Lux. The color seems to just float when I blend.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

I used Archival Jet Black ink on Georgia Pacific card stock from Wal-Mart for coloring with Prismacolor pencils and baby oil (instead of gamsol). I have not had any problems but I have not tried anything else either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use Stazon Black for everything!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

www.creativeplaystamps.com has a black pad sampler. I thought that was a terrific idea!!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sung1203View Post
Hmmm.... What did I do wrong? I tested Versafine many many times on SU Whisper White CS and Georgia Pacific CS, and got smudges everywhere. I tried Prismacolored pencils and SU markers, and it was very frustrating. I even used the heat tool to dry, but still no luck. I tried with clear embossing powder, but lines looked thicker, hmmm.
I do agree that Versafine gives you the finest detail, but it just didn't work for me when I tried to use it for coloring. I will try it again...

I found the same thing with versafine-it smudges ages after though I wondered if it's the Whisper White to blame as it's a shiny coated card?

It made me move onto Stazon and I hate the smell and fuss but it dries immediately and is very waterproof, can be used on acetate, friendly plastic etc. Fails on Copics apparently though.

In the Uk we don't have access to some of those mentioned. I have hard the SU isn't waterproof and the colour isn't a great black too which is a shame.

I think we're looking for the perfect bkack ink like the little black dress. you may suit a short dress whilst i may like it longer-we all see the same thing differently but I do think there's an interesting debate here-we're still looking for the perfect black ink which is the one ink we all use, every crafter has at least one and yet like the paper trimmer we're still not entirely satisfied! We want the PERFECT ink and PERFECT papertrimmer and then we'll be happy..will we..?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I also have tried LOTS of black inkpads!!! Memento Tuxedo Black if the image is going to be colored with Copics but I fine that it doesn't stamp black enough unless you use a reinker and really make the pad 'juicy' then just wait a bit to let it dry and set. Versafine Onyx Black is the BEST, IMHO, when stamping images just not ones that will be colored with Copics.
I agree. IMHO, if I had to re-buy all my black pads, I'd have just the Memento and Versafine. I'd skip all the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

PTI's Pallete black- I use this for anything black that is not being colored.
Stazon- I use this with water based markers.
A Muse- for alcohol based markers.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Hobby Lobby sells Momento, They are half price this week. i picked up a new tuxedo black. I wish they had refills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Basic Black

Just wanted to give a great big thanks for this thread. I thought it was my eyes with the STAMPIN'UP! Basic Black Stamp Pad.

http://maxine_creates.stampinup.net/blog
My Stampin' Up Website: http://maxine_creates.stampinup.net
Eat well, stay fit, die anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am one of those with lots of black pads and a hard time figuring out which to use when.

I don't have time to do it right now, but I know what I am going to do with this thread's information. I am going to Office Max and buy a bunch of labels about the size of a stamp pad, then I am going to list what everyone agrees is a good usage for each kind of black pad I have and stick the labels on the back of my pads. No more remembering "is this ok with watercolors?" or whatever.

Thanks, everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

The SU black always looked purple to me--back when I used it. LOL After all the raves here, I got some Memento black this weekend and gave it a try, right now I'm not all that impressed. Maybe it's just too juicy being a new pad and all but it didn't seem to have a consistent coverage. My favorite is Memories black. I've been using a pad I've had for years, and it works great! I use Staz-On when I'm not stamping paper.

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use Staz-on for my watercoloring.

Amuse Black & PTI black for my Copics & Prismacolors.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Jamie Stamps - thank you for your comment about Memento. I thought I was the only one out there with a less than stellar opinion of it.

I bought a full-sized Memento pad to use with my copics and found that my lines look "feathered" and blurry using rubber stamps and Georgia Pacific paper. So I did a comparison today using a thick lined clear stamp. Compared Brilliance and Memento on both Georgia Pacific and SU's Whisper White. The Memento had poor, poor coverage on both papers, whereas the Brilliance looked crisp and clear. And as I said, with a rubber stamp the lines look blurry or feathery instead of crisp and clear.

For all of you out there that love Memento, what paper are you using with it? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScramperJView Post
Jamie Stamps - thank you for your comment about Memento. I thought I was the only one out there with a less than stellar opinion of it.

I bought a full-sized Memento pad to use with my copics and found that my lines look "feathered" and blurry using rubber stamps and Georgia Pacific paper. So I did a comparison today using a thick lined clear stamp. Compared Brilliance and Memento on both Georgia Pacific and SU's Whisper White. The Memento had poor, poor coverage on both papers, whereas the Brilliance looked crisp and clear. And as I said, with a rubber stamp the lines look blurry or feathery instead of crisp and clear.

For all of you out there that love Memento, what paper are you using with it? Thanks for the help.

Ferathery is a good description for what it was doing. Glad to know I'm not the only one too! At least I only bought the little dew drops, so not a major expense, and I'm sure I'll still use it--along with the other pads that came in the set. I'll have to try it on some other papers and see what it does, good idea.

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

I find I reach for Memento or Versafine the most
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

For me, the Palette Noir hands down because it stamps beautifully with rubber or acrylic stamps leaving a crisp clean image. My second choice would be the Stazon, but I don't use it with acrylic. I also have the Memento Tuxedo black (don't like at all!) and the Brilliance onyx (pretty finish, but not for coloring).

CTMH has my favorite colors, but I'm going with all Palette ink from now on I think because it's a better choice for flexibility.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Pallette ink was supposed to be waterproof for watercoloring. has anyone found either the noir or PTI true black to bleed when watercolored with dye ink?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to use SU Basic Black but now that I'm into coloring with Copics, I grab my Memento Tuxedo Black for everything!

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes